|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the Ganguli baby get the name it was supposed to get before leaving the hospital?
(a) Indian babies are never named so early in life.
(b) Ashoke and Ashima couldn't agree on a name.
(c) There was a mixup on the birth certificate.
(d) The grandmother's letter never arrived.
2. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
(a) That he'd not wanted children so soon.
(b) That he has a meeting and must soon leave for a while.
(c) How beautiful Ashima had been when they first met.
(d) The conversation on the train before the train wreck.
3. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
(a) He goes out of his way to learn American ways and tell her about them.
(b) He tells her how beautiful she is when she dresses up for him.
(c) He takes his shoes off, as is customary in India.
(d) He polishes his shoes fastidiously.
4. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
(a) They sit outside and enjoy the luxury of a real yard.
(b) They go for drives and explore their new environs bit by bit.
(c) They watch American programs on their television.
(d) They work on their English language skills.
5. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
(a) Another family from India joins them for the trip.
(b) Ashima's father dies, necessitating her going early.
(c) Gogol gets sick and is in the hospital for most of the visit.
(d) Ashoke's schedule necessitates cancelling the trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory of the train wreck still haunts Ashima, even after his marriage and starting a new life in America?
2. What does Gogol give his mother as a gift when his baby sister is born?
3. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
4. What does Ashima tell Ashoke as soon as they bring their baby home?
5. What kind of home does Gogol live in as an infant?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)