|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ashoke do after the train wreck when he had nightmares at night and couldn't sleep?
(a) He drank until he could sleep again.
(b) He went looking for people to be with.
(c) He paced and talked himself into a calm state.
(d) He read books about other countries.
2. What does Ashoke do that reminds Ashima of the time he visited her parents' home?
(a) He goes out of his way to learn American ways and tell her about them.
(b) He polishes his shoes fastidiously.
(c) He takes his shoes off, as is customary in India.
(d) He tells her how beautiful she is when she dresses up for him.
3. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
(a) Only if the child is in poor health and may not live long.
(b) No, because Indians believe names can wait.
(c) Yes, because a name is extrememely important in India.
(d) Yes, because announcements cannot be sent out until the child has a name.
4. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
(a) They go for drives and explore their new environs bit by bit.
(b) They sit outside and enjoy the luxury of a real yard.
(c) They watch American programs on their television.
(d) They work on their English language skills.
5. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
(a) Practically none because they have few Indian neighbors.
(b) The whole neighborhood, including their American friends.
(c) Just a handful but they are good friends of the family.
(d) So many that the Gangulis rent a building on campus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
2. What's the first thing that causes Ashima and Ashoke to suspect she's pregnant?
3. Why doesn't the Ganguli baby get the name it was supposed to get before leaving the hospital?
4. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
5. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)