|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the nurse do when Ashoke and Ashima are first together with their child?
(a) She makes sure their wrist bands match.
(b) She leaves them alone for a while.
(c) She shows them how to change his diapers.
(d) She tells them that a child is a fragile thing.
2. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
(a) Neighbors of the Gangulis.
(b) A couple the Gangulis met and a professor friend of Ashoke.
(c) No one, they don't know anyone in America yet.
(d) Ashoke's fellow students from college.
3. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
(a) He doesn't want to be called by any other name.
(b) She says the name on his birth certificate is his proper name.
(c) She feels Gogol is closer to an American name than Nikhil.
(d) She doesn't understand Indian culture.
4. How does a book save Ashoke's life?
(a) He is reading it and, thus, is in a safe place during the train wreck.
(b) It stops a piece of flying metal that could have killed him.
(c) It doesn't have anything to do with his survival.
(d) The book is like a warning and he avoids disaster.
5. What kind of people are Ashima's neighbors in her first home in America?
(a) Out-of-work Americans.
(b) Other immigrants from India.
(c) A mix of peoples from all over the world.
(d) Families of professors at Harvard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
2. What's the first thing that causes Ashima and Ashoke to suspect she's pregnant?
3. What do guests say about Sonia at the rice ceremony?
4. What memory of the train wreck still haunts Ashima, even after his marriage and starting a new life in America?
5. As Ashoke waits while Ashima gives birth, who does he thank for his survival and this miracle of new life about to begin?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)