|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashima tell Ashoke as soon as they bring their baby home?
(a) She says she can't do this.
(b) She says nothing; she is tired and needs her sleep.
(c) She tells him they are starting on a new journey in life.
(d) She rebukes him for not having done the dishes.
2. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
(a) The birth certificate and Gogol's father state different names for him.
(b) She can't understand Ashoke's Indian accent.
(c) She can't figure out how to pronounce the unfamiliar name.
(d) She doesn't understand about Indian pet names.
3. As a young boy, how does Gogol feel about his name?
(a) He doesn't mind his name.
(b) He wishes it was more American.
(c) He hates being Gogol Ganjuli.
(d) He doesn't like it because he believes it marks him as different.
4. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
(a) Friendly Americans interested in her baby.
(b) She is still tired and can't walk as quickly as expected.
(c) The pram is old and she's afraid it will break down.
(d) Gogol cries and she must stop to calm him down.
5. What changes about the planned visit to India when Gogol is about a year old?
(a) Another family from India joins them for the trip.
(b) Ashoke's schedule necessitates cancelling the trip.
(c) Gogol gets sick and is in the hospital for most of the visit.
(d) Ashima's father dies, necessitating her going early.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else visits the baby Gogol in the hospital?
2. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
3. What kind of people are Ashima's neighbors in her first home in America?
4. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
5. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)