|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What terrifies Ashima about having a child?
(a) The pain of childbirth.
(b) Caring for a child with an absent husband.
(c) The difficulty of getting her figure back afterwards.
(d) Raising it in a place so far from home.
2. How does a book save Ashoke's life?
(a) It doesn't have anything to do with his survival.
(b) It stops a piece of flying metal that could have killed him.
(c) He is reading it and, thus, is in a safe place during the train wreck.
(d) The book is like a warning and he avoids disaster.
3. What kind of name does Ashoke consider Gogol to be when he chooses it for his son?
(a) A pet name.
(b) A name his child should be proud to carry.
(c) A name that will look good on an American letterhead.
(d) He's too confused to think about names and chooses the first one that comes to mind.
4. What does Ashoke do while pacing in the mens' waiting room at the hospital?
(a) He reads the Globe.
(b) He carries flowers he has bought for Ashima.
(c) He tries to calm down the other expectant fathers.
(d) He drags his fingers through his hair.
5. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
(a) She forgets to use the plural when mentioning toes and fingers.
(b) None, English was her best subject in Calcutta.
(c) She uses the wrong word for baby.
(d) She slips into her native tongue without realizing it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
2. What difference does Ashima notice in her days before and after Gogol's birth?
3. What's the first thing that causes Ashima and Ashoke to suspect she's pregnant?
4. What bad news does Ashima receive from her family in India soon after Gogol's birth?
5. What kind of home does Gogol live in as an infant?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)