|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10-11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ashima tell Ashoke as soon as they bring their baby home?
(a) She says she can't do this.
(b) She tells him they are starting on a new journey in life.
(c) She says nothing; she is tired and needs her sleep.
(d) She rebukes him for not having done the dishes.
2. What memory of the train wreck still haunts Ashima, even after his marriage and starting a new life in America?
(a) The terrible silence after that first, wrenching crash.
(b) The cries of the people trapped inside.
(c) The twisted, battered, capsized bogies of the train.
(d) The still sky above such a terrible scene.
3. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
(a) He wants to stay home and play.
(b) He has been told he will be called by a different name.
(c) He doesn't want to be the only Indian at the school.
(d) He is afraid of the strange building.
4. Why did Moushumi walk out of a hair salon?
(a) Something about the stylist's expression had felt insulting.
(b) A person she disliked was already there having her hair done.
(c) She'd been told immigrants weren't welcome.
(d) The stylist didn't know how to do the style she wanted.
5. How do the Ganguli family friends react to the news of Ashoke's death?
(a) They take turns helping with household chores.
(b) They tell the Ganguli family that they can now return to India.
(c) They all respond with visits, calls, and cards.
(d) They are shocked and don't know what to say.
Short Answer Questions
1. Was Moushumi's fiance comfortable with her Indian heritage?
2. What was the nickname that Dimitri gave Moushumi?
3. How does Ashima learn about Maxine?
4. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
5. What place does Ashima recall while in labor?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)