|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10-11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol remember while returning to New York City after his father's death?
(a) How much he hates train rides.
(b) How his father used to take him for ice cream.
(c) The day he spent with his father at the beach.
(d) How much in love his parents were.
2. What appearance does the Ganguli home present to a casual observer?
(a) Their home appears no different from their neighbors.
(b) Their home is clearly the home of immigrants.
(c) Their home is painted an unusual color for the neighborhood.
(d) Their home is typical of people who don't know how to decorate an American house.
3. What does Gogol do with the book his father gives him for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He sets it aside to read later when he has more time.
(b) He shuts the book and puts it on a shelf, unread.
(c) He leafs through the book to see what it's about.
(d) He loses it almost immediately.
4. How do the Ganguli children help their mother after their father's death?
(a) Sonia moves in with her while Gogol visits often.
(b) Sonia isn't able to help but Gogol helps a lot.
(c) They work out a schedule and each takes turns helping her.
(d) Gogol hates returning home, but Sonia makes up for his lack.
5. What does Gogol hate about explaining his name to people?
(a) That his parents didn't have a name ready when he was born.
(b) That many people in India have pet names when children.
(c) That it's not Indian and is absurd and obscure.
(d) How to pronounce it correctly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gogol meet Maxine?
2. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
3. What kind of people are Ashima's neighbors in her first home in America?
4. What kind of gifts does Gogol get at his second birthday party?
5. What do most of their Indian friends give the couple as wedding presents?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)