|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
(a) She can't understand Ashoke's Indian accent.
(b) The birth certificate and Gogol's father state different names for him.
(c) She doesn't understand about Indian pet names.
(d) She can't figure out how to pronounce the unfamiliar name.
2. Why is Ashima embarrassed to wear a hospital gown?
(a) It only comes to her knees.
(b) The back is open.
(c) It's ugly.
(d) She hates white.
3. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
(a) She feels Gogol is closer to an American name than Nikhil.
(b) He doesn't want to be called by any other name.
(c) She says the name on his birth certificate is his proper name.
(d) She doesn't understand Indian culture.
4. What does Ashoke remember when he and Ashima bring Gogol home?
(a) That he'd not wanted children so soon.
(b) The conversation on the train before the train wreck.
(c) How beautiful Ashima had been when they first met.
(d) That he has a meeting and must soon leave for a while.
5. As a young boy, how does Gogol feel about his name?
(a) He doesn't like it because he believes it marks him as different.
(b) He doesn't mind his name.
(c) He hates being Gogol Ganjuli.
(d) He wishes it was more American.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashima tell Ashoke as soon as they bring their baby home?
2. What does Ashima do immediately after she gives birth to Gogol?
3. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
4. Why does Gogol's father take him to his first day of kindergarten?
5. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)