|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ashima feel about their move to the suburbs?
(a) She is relieved to finally have a decent yard.
(b) She wishes there were more people from India nearby.
(c) She finds it more distressing than moving from Calcutta to America.
(d) She dislikes the house her husband insisted they rent.
2. What two kinds of names do children in India usually receive?
(a) Formal names and informal names.
(b) Family names and nicknames.
(c) Pet names and good names.
(d) Names to be spoken and names never to be said out loud.
3. What does the man who lends Ashoke the book on the train tell him that he should do?
(a) Read widely as that is the same as traveling the world.
(b) Meet the mans' family at the end of the trip.
(c) Be glad he has family that loves him.
(d) Travel and see the world.
4. What time of day was the train wreck?
(a) In the evening, the engineer was blinded by the setting sun.
(b) At noon, it happened when the depot was most crowded.
(c) In the morning, when animals crossed the tracks looking for water.
(d) At two-thirty in the morning, the middle of the night actually.
5. What kind of home does Gogol live in as an infant?
(a) A fully furnished apartment near Harvard and MIT.
(b) An apartment in the slums, surrounded by noisy neighbors.
(c) A sunny, comfortable home shared by three immigrant families.
(d) A two-story Georgian home the Ganguli family purchased.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will name Ashoke and Ashima's baby?
2. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
3. What makes Ashima's first outing with Gogol take longer than expected?
4. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
5. In India, is it necessary to come up with a name for a child immediately after birth?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)