|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Gogol and his friends celebrate his fourteenth birthday party?
(a) They go swimming at a nearby pool.
(b) They go to a pizza parlor where they play video games.
(c) They have pizzas and watched a baseball game on TV.
(d) They got to a baseball game and have pizza afterwards.
2. What did Ashima do upon first meeting Ashoke when he visited her family home in India?
(a) She said she didn't want to meet anyone from America.
(b) She asked him about his travels, especially about America.
(c) She impulsively stepped into the strange American shoes at the door.
(d) She changed into her most beautiful sari before meeting him.
3. What error in speech does Ashima make when talking with the nurse?
(a) She uses the wrong word for baby.
(b) She slips into her native tongue without realizing it.
(c) She forgets to use the plural when mentioning toes and fingers.
(d) None, English was her best subject in Calcutta.
4. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He hopes Gogol likes it because it was rather expensive.
(b) He hopes Gogol uses it wisely.
(c) He hopes Gogol doesn't forget his Indian heritage.
(d) Nothing because he sees Gogol has ignored similar gifts.
5. What did Gogol do at his birthday party with friends that he'd never done before?
(a) He had a boy-girl party with dancing.
(b) He said no to a frosted cake and ice cream.
(c) He got presents from friends, something his parents had not allowed before.
(d) He finally had a frosted cake and ice cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ashima's initial reaction to her first home in America?
2. What happens to Ashoke and Ashima within a decade of moving to America?
3. What happens when the Ganguli family enters the Dum Dum Airport?
4. What does Gogol think when his parents tell him they are going to India for eight months?
5. What about the house becomes one of Gogol's earliest memories?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)