|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gogol's father say after giving him a special gift for his fourteenth birthday?
(a) He hopes Gogol doesn't forget his Indian heritage.
(b) Nothing because he sees Gogol has ignored similar gifts.
(c) He hopes Gogol uses it wisely.
(d) He hopes Gogol likes it because it was rather expensive.
2. Who does Gogol meet on a train coming home from school during his freshman year in college?
(a) A fellow student from school, a girl he recognizes.
(b) A friend from childhood whom he barely remembers.
(c) A woman who moves because she doesn't like immigrants.
(d) A stranger who reminds him of his father.
3. After Gogol gives his reasons for changing his name, how do his parents respond?
(a) They are afraid that Gogol is drifting farther and farther from them.
(b) They tell him in America anything is possible and to do as he wishes.
(c) They agree that the name Gogol only causes problems.
(d) They feel even more insulted on behalf of Indians everywhere.
4. What does the Ganguli family do on the eleventh day after Ashoke's death?
(a) They ask them if there is anything of Ashoke's that they can use.
(b) They dab themselves with mud and ashes for mourning.
(c) They invite friends to mark the end of the mourning period.
(d) They return to India with Ashoke's ashes.
5. What does Maxine tell Gogol to do while in Ohio that he doesn't do after all?
(a) Get out of the apartment and check into a hotel.
(b) Spend some time remembering good times with his father.
(c) Pick out some mememtos for himself.
(d) Take any leftover clothing to Good Will.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashima do with most of the gifts Gogol gets at his second birthday party?
2. How does the breakup between Gogol/Nakhil and Ruth happen?
3. How do Ashoke and Ashima give in to American customs?
4. Why doesn't Ashoke explain how Gogol came about his name when he gives him the book by Nikoli Gogol?
5. What does Gogol's father give him on his fourteenth birthday?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)