|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gogol feel about Maxine's actions the day after they meet?
(a) He is taken aback by her boldness.
(b) He is curious because he's never met someone so shy.
(c) He is flattered by the boldness of her actions.
(d) He wishes she'd leave him alone.
2. How does Gogol feel about his frequent visits to Maxine's home?
(a) He feels like he doesn't belong and never will.
(b) He feels like they are only pretending to like him.
(c) He is uncomfortable with their overly friendly attitude towards him.
(d) He feels like he's effortlessly incorporated into their lives.
3. What do Moushumi's friends decide about names?
(a) There is no perfect name.
(b) They will wait until the child is born and then decide.
(c) No matter what the name, it eventually seems to suit.
(d) They wish their culture had as beautiful names as Indian ones.
4. What about New York City interests Gogol's parents?
(a) Friends and places to buy Indian groceries and saris.
(b) The cultural life of the city.
(c) Nothing, they avoided going there.
(d) The fact that it isn't as crowded as Calcutta.
5. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
(a) A couple of kids sneaking away for a picnic.
(b) A three-ring circus.
(c) A well-organized military campaign.
(d) His family's preparations for a trip to Calcutta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ashima insist Gogol come home for a visit?
2. What does the Ganguli family do in the beginning of their life in their new home, in the evenings?
3. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
4. How many people come to Sonia's rice ceremony when she's six months old?
5. How does Ashima react to Gogol's time in pre-school?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)