|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Ratliff's move to New Hampshire every year remind Gogol of?
(a) A three-ring circus.
(b) A well-organized military campaign.
(c) A couple of kids sneaking away for a picnic.
(d) His family's preparations for a trip to Calcutta.
2. What does Moushumi tell friends her name means?
(a) A dark-haired beauty.
(b) A woman of mystery and night.
(c) A damp, southwesterly breeze.
(d) A jewel of great price.
3. What kind of daily routine do Gogol and Maxine follow at the summer home in New Hampshire?
(a) There is no routine, each day is strikingly different from all others.
(b) The days assume a pattern though there's nothing in particular to do.
(c) They go swimming every morning early, before dawn.
(d) They follow the routine set by Maxine's parents.
4. How does Ashima react to Gogol's time in pre-school?
(a) She is despondent, unused to being alone all over again.
(b) She wishes she could learn alongside him.
(c) She is concerned that he will forget his Indian heritage.
(d) She finds herself at long last with time for herself.
5. How does conversation at a party attended by Gogol and Moushumi at the home of a friend come around to the subject of names?
(a) They ask about Gogol and Moushumi's names.
(b) Moushumi offers that she kept her maiden name when she married.
(c) A couple is about to have a baby and is thinking about names.
(d) They discover Gogol legally changed his name.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gogol want to go to school when he begins Kindergarten?
2. What does Gogol give his mother as a gift when his baby sister is born?
3. Why is the principal confused about Gogol's name?
4. Why does the principal finally end up registering Gogol by his pet name?
5. How does Gogol know that his mother is nervous about meeting Maxine?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)