|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eliades say he wants to have dinner with James in Chapter 10?
2. To what does Volterra attribute the cult killings at the end of Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 11, what Indian town is Owen living in?
4. Who does James spend much of Chapter 13 trying to find?
5. What false promise does Andahl make before parting ways with Volterra in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does DeLillo illustrate James' awkward relationship with his landlord in Chapter 10?
2. How does James find a new sense of comfortable stasis at the end of the novel?
3. How does James follow up on his Mani discovery later in Chapter 8?
4. What does James Axton learn in Bombay early in Chapter 11?
5. How has Rowser become more paranoid in Chapter 11?
6. Where is Volterra in his planning for the cult film at the end of Chapter 8?
7. What is different about Chapter 14 from the rest of the novel?
8. What prank do the Kellers and James try to play on Hardeman in Chapter 11?
9. According to Rowser in Chapter 11, what changes are happening in the Northeast Group.
10. In Chapter 12, why does Owen go to Lake Rajsamand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The expatriates of The Names have a decorum and a series of systems they use as they travel through Europe and Asia. Write an essay about the qualms, Concerns, recommendations, and preferences that permeate the characters' conversations and actions? What do they take care always to do? What do they avoid at all costs? How do these decisions reflect a changing world and the dangers that will emerge throughout the novel? How is traveling in this period different from previous expatriation and the international travel of today?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the ensemble that is James Axton's expatriate social scene. What collective philosophy do these people share, and for whence does this philosophy derive? In this essay, discuss the dynamic that exists within the group. Who are the most dominant figures in the group dynamic, and who feels like an outsider? Which couples are strong and which are clearly foundering? How is this made apparent?
Essay Topic 3
Violence occurs intermittently throughout The Names, and when it falls, the violence comes quickly and partially witnessed. It is ambiguous in its intent and raises all sorts of questions. Write an essay about moments of violence in the novel:
Part 1) Discuss the first murder. Who makes not of it first in the novel? Is it witnessed, first-hand by any character? How does Owen connect the violence to the people he met in the cave? What inquiries lead to the connection of the first murder to the ones that came before and after it?
Part 2) How does Owen experience his only murder with the death cult? Is he actually present when the man is bludgeoned to death? Why or why not? In assessing the effect of this violence on him as a character, discuss what leads up to the murder and what follows it.
Part 3) How is David Keller shot in the novel? Who shoots him, and why? How does James Axton, and by proxy the reader, experience this act of violence in the novel? Discuss what concerns and doubts it creates in the protagonist's mind. How is the act explained?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)