|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the presumptive writer of Chapter 14?
2. Why does Eliades say he wants to have dinner with James in Chapter 10?
3. What do the Keller's and James attempt to do to Hardeman after he passes out in Chapter 11?
4. In discussing the methodology of the cult in Chapter 9, what does Andahl insist the cultists are not?
5. Where is Del Nearing en route to when she stays with James in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political argument that James and Eliades have in Chapter 10.
2. Where is Volterra in his planning for the cult film at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What unfortunate occurrence happens to David Keller in Chapter 13?
4. How does James find a new sense of comfortable stasis at the end of the novel?
5. What prank do the Kellers and James try to play on Hardeman in Chapter 11?
6. What does Singh say about the desert in Chapter 12?
7. How has Rowser become more paranoid in Chapter 11?
8. How does James follow up on his Mani discovery later in Chapter 8?
9. In Chapter 8, what does James see in Mani that shakes him up?
10. What information does Andahl give about the cult in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the Language Cult and how it becomes a symbol in the novel. To what extent does the language cult exist outside of time and place? In what ways is it stateless and oddly innocent? In discussing the otherworldliness of the cult, determine what it represents to the people who search it out. What do these lost Americans long to find at the end of the search for the cult? To what extent does the cult represent a pre-American world?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the ensemble that is James Axton's expatriate social scene. What collective philosophy do these people share, and for whence does this philosophy derive? In this essay, discuss the dynamic that exists within the group. Who are the most dominant figures in the group dynamic, and who feels like an outsider? Which couples are strong and which are clearly foundering? How is this made apparent?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Northeast Group, what it ostensibly does as a company, how it is represented in the novel, and what it, in reality, is a functionary of. What is James Axton's role within the Northeast Group? What other character is his contact, and how does this character represent a strange intensity unusual for a private company? What does the Group do in the novel, and how are its true functions slyly revealed tot he reader and James Axton alike? What is the fallout?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)