|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What descriptor does Andahl use to describe the nature of the cult in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 8, what does David Keller suggest he and James do in Frankfurt?
3. What is James doing when he hears gunshots in Chapter 13?
4. What city is James in at the end of Chapter 9?
5. What do the Keller's and James attempt to do to Hardeman after he passes out in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Andahl give about the cult in Chapter 9?
2. What transpires during James' evening with Del Nearing in Chapter 10?
3. What does James Axton learn in Bombay early in Chapter 11?
4. What offer does David Keller make James in Chapter 8, and how does James respond?
5. In Chapter 8, what does James see in Mani that shakes him up?
6. Where is Volterra in his planning for the cult film at the end of Chapter 8?
7. What point about the murders does Andahl make in Chapter 9?
8. According to Rowser in Chapter 11, what changes are happening in the Northeast Group.
9. What admission does James make to Lindsay Keller in Chapter 13?
10. How does DeLillo illustrate James' awkward relationship with his landlord in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the relationship between James and Tap Axton. What do father and son do together throughout the novel, and how does the impending divorce affect this activity? What habits does Tap have that alienate him from James? Discuss whether DeLillo paints a picture of a father and son relationship that seems strong in any way. What other character seems more like a father figure to Tap?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the ensemble that is James Axton's expatriate social scene. What collective philosophy do these people share, and for whence does this philosophy derive? In this essay, discuss the dynamic that exists within the group. Who are the most dominant figures in the group dynamic, and who feels like an outsider? Which couples are strong and which are clearly foundering? How is this made apparent?
Essay Topic 3
Violence occurs intermittently throughout The Names, and when it falls, the violence comes quickly and partially witnessed. It is ambiguous in its intent and raises all sorts of questions. Write an essay about moments of violence in the novel:
Part 1) Discuss the first murder. Who makes not of it first in the novel? Is it witnessed, first-hand by any character? How does Owen connect the violence to the people he met in the cave? What inquiries lead to the connection of the first murder to the ones that came before and after it?
Part 2) How does Owen experience his only murder with the death cult? Is he actually present when the man is bludgeoned to death? Why or why not? In assessing the effect of this violence on him as a character, discuss what leads up to the murder and what follows it.
Part 3) How is David Keller shot in the novel? Who shoots him, and why? How does James Axton, and by proxy the reader, experience this act of violence in the novel? Discuss what concerns and doubts it creates in the protagonist's mind. How is the act explained?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)