|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares Owen about religion?
2. Which of the following is not a tactic Kathryn used to learn Greek?
3. Which of the following characters admits to having never been to a famous monument in Chapter 1?
4. Why did Owen Brademas promote Kathryn so quickly?
5. What is the subject of Volterra's breakout documentary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the awkward lunch at the beginning of Chapter 7.
2. What explanation of the language cult's motives does Vosdanik offer in Chapter 6?
3. Describe the tiff that Charles Maitland and James have at the end of Chapter 7.
4. According to Owen in Chapter 5, Why does the world hate America?
5. How has Kathryn Axton changes since separating from James?
6. Why is Owen uncomfortable talking about the Feast of the Virgin in Chapter 2?
7. What plan does Volterra have for his life after film?
8. What does James Axton do in Europe?
9. What theory about the language cult does James present to Owen in Chapter 7?
10. What story does Owen tell about a cave in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The expatriates of The Names have a decorum and a series of systems they use as they travel through Europe and Asia. Write an essay about the qualms, Concerns, recommendations, and preferences that permeate the characters' conversations and actions? What do they take care always to do? What do they avoid at all costs? How do these decisions reflect a changing world and the dangers that will emerge throughout the novel? How is traveling in this period different from previous expatriation and the international travel of today?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Frank Volterra. What is his connection to the Axtons, and how does he find himself in the search of the language cult? Discuss how DeLillo paints Volterra with a different brush that the other characters. Is he, in essence, a caricature of the temperamental auteur director? How does Del Nearing's attachment to Volterra humanize him to a certain point?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Owen Brademas and his function thematically in the narrative. Based on first impressions from the opening chapters, what does Owen value above all else in life? What does he want to achieve? Discuss how these objectives drive Owen to seek out the cult, and how his skills make him the most effective of the searchers. Why does he become paralyzed by the prospect of meeting the cult? How does his experience with them leave him?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)