|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about James and Ann in Chapter 11?
(a) They both have the flu.
(b) They are romantically involved.
(c) They are deeply concerned with Charles.
(d) They refuse to talk to each other.
2. In Chapter 13, Charles tells James that the Northeast Group has been giving intelligence to what group?
(a) The KGB.
(d) The CIA.
3. What does Orville Benton do in the final moments of the novel?
(a) He sets fire to a bail of hay.
(b) He flees the church.
(c) He dies.
(d) He speaks in tongues.
4. Which of the following is not a character that James Axton meets in person?
(a) Anand Das.
(b) Del Nearing.
5. Who is the cult's victim in Hawa Mandir?
(a) An old man.
(b) A crippled boy.
(c) A German tourist.
(d) A homeless woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what topic does James engage his landlord in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 8, what does David Keller suggest he and James do in Frankfurt?
3. What are Rowser's plans as he talks to James at the end of Chapter 11?
4. Who is the presumptive writer of Chapter 14?
5. What city is James in at the end of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political argument that James and Eliades have in Chapter 10.
2. What traumatic experience happens to Orville Benton in Chapter 14?
3. What offer does David Keller make James in Chapter 8, and how does James respond?
4. How is Chapter 14 connected thematically to the rest of the novel?
5. What does James Axton learn in Bombay early in Chapter 11?
6. How did Del Nearing and Frank Volterra meet?
7. How does James follow up on his Mani discovery later in Chapter 8?
8. How does James learn the truth behind the CIA in Chapter 13?
9. How does Owen look in Chapter 12?
10. How does James find a new sense of comfortable stasis at the end of the novel?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)