|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Andahl?
(a) Another analyst from Northeast Group.
(b) Anand's friend.
(c) A cult member.
(d) Kathryn's new lover.
2. With what other character does Hardeman work?
3. How does the congregation react to Orville's inability to speak in tongues in Chapter 14?
(a) They beat him.
(b) They weep.
(c) They mock him.
(d) The bless him.
4. In Chapter 9, what medium does Volterra say would be best for telling the cult's story?
(a) A documentary.
(b) A lecture.
(c) A book.
(d) A play.
5. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
(b) The Colloseum.
(c) The Acropolis.
(d) Cleopatra's Needle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In discussing the methodology of the cult in Chapter 9, what does Andahl insist the cultists are not?
2. How many bodies are with Owen when he is discovered at the end of Chapter 12?
3. Who does James spend much of Chapter 13 trying to find?
4. On what topic does James engage his landlord in Chapter 10?
5. What does James do in Chapter 8 to forget about the cult one sleepless night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about Chapter 14 from the rest of the novel?
2. What unfortunate occurrence happens to David Keller in Chapter 13?
3. What does James Axton learn in Bombay early in Chapter 11?
4. How has Rowser become more paranoid in Chapter 11?
5. How does James find a new sense of comfortable stasis at the end of the novel?
6. What suspicions does James have about Eliades in Chapter 13?
7. What offer does David Keller make James in Chapter 8, and how does James respond?
8. What information does Andahl give about the cult in Chapter 9?
9. How does James follow up on his Mani discovery later in Chapter 8?
10. How is Chapter 14 connected thematically to the rest of the novel?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)