|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rowser fixate on as he talks with James in Chapter 11?
(a) His shoes.
(d) The clear blue sky.
2. What false promise does Andahl make before parting ways with Volterra in Chapter 9?
(a) To let him film a ritual murder.
(b) To introduce him to his cell.
(c) To set up a meeting with the cult's leader.
(d) To reveal the location of the next killing.
3. What holiday is approaching at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Bastille Day.
(d) Armistice Day.
4. Why is James Axton in Bombay at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) To meet with Owen.
(b) To visit Kathryn.
(c) To open a new office.
(d) To investigate local conditions.
5. In discussing the methodology of the cult in Chapter 9, what does Andahl insist the cultists are not?
(c) Seasoned killers.
(d) Religious zealots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
2. The second time James goes to the Mani in Chapter 8, who does he learn passed through the area recently?
3. James travels to all of the following locations except which?
4. In Chapter 8, what does David Keller suggest he and James do in Frankfurt?
5. Based on the revelations of the novel, who most likely tried to shoot James?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prank do the Kellers and James try to play on Hardeman in Chapter 11?
2. How does James find a new sense of comfortable stasis at the end of the novel?
3. What admission does James make to Lindsay Keller in Chapter 13?
4. What unfortunate occurrence happens to David Keller in Chapter 13?
5. What transpires during James' evening with Del Nearing in Chapter 10?
6. According to Rowser in Chapter 11, what changes are happening in the Northeast Group.
7. What is different about Chapter 14 from the rest of the novel?
8. Where is Volterra in his planning for the cult film at the end of Chapter 8?
9. What traumatic experience happens to Orville Benton in Chapter 14?
10. What suspicions does James have about Eliades in Chapter 13?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)