|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What almost happens to Volterra in the humorous personal story he tells in Chapter 9?
(a) He is almost trampled by goats.
(b) He almost falls off a rock precipice.
(c) He almost falls asleep in a conference with an emir.
(d) He almost goes home with a transvestite.
2. What reason does James offer in Chapter 10 for Greece's continued buffeting by stronger powers historically?
(a) Its isolationism.
(b) Its central location.
(c) Its weak military.
(d) Its olive crops.
3. Why is James Axton in Bombay at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) To investigate local conditions.
(b) To meet with Owen.
(c) To visit Kathryn.
(d) To open a new office.
4. In Chapter 11, the Keller's, Hardeman and James decide what is the defining characteristic that determines how history books portray rebelling individuals?
5. To what does Volterra attribute the cult killings at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Psychosexual fantasy.
(b) Cultural revenge.
(d) Religious fervor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what reason does James think Eliades have for seducing Ann?
2. With what other character does Hardeman work?
3. What is distinct about the writing style of Chapter 14?
4. What is the first thing Singh asks Owen in Chapter 12?
5. Who is the character of Orville Benton based on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James learn the truth behind the CIA in Chapter 13?
2. What suspicions does James have about Eliades in Chapter 13?
3. According to Rowser in Chapter 11, what changes are happening in the Northeast Group.
4. What does James Axton learn in Bombay early in Chapter 11?
5. How does Owen look in Chapter 12?
6. What offer does David Keller make James in Chapter 8, and how does James respond?
7. What is different about Chapter 14 from the rest of the novel?
8. How does James follow up on his Mani discovery later in Chapter 8?
9. How is Chapter 14 connected thematically to the rest of the novel?
10. In Chapter 8, what does James see in Mani that shakes him up?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)