|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eliades say he wants to have dinner with James in Chapter 10?
(a) To look into a job at the Northeast Group.
(b) To discuss politics.
(c) To see how his Greek is doing.
(d) To inquire after the Maitlands.
2. What are Rowser's plans as he talks to James at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Leaving Northeast Group.
(b) Taking a position in Africa.
(c) Marrying his live-in girlfriend.
(d) Moving to China.
3. Where is Tap Axton living at the end of the novel?
(d) British Columbia.
4. What does Charles specifically - and mistakenly - congratulate James for in Chapter 13?
(a) Making a fortune in kickbacks.
(b) Courting Ann.
(c) Quitting the Northeast Group.
(d) Winning custody of Tap.
5. In Chapter 13, what reason does James think Eliades have for seducing Ann?
(a) To learn American customs.
(b) To get closer to James.
(c) To gain US citizenship.
(d) To kill Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. In discussing the methodology of the cult in Chapter 9, what does Andahl insist the cultists are not?
2. Where is Del Nearing en route to when she stays with James in Chapter 10?
3. Why is James unable to get information from the patrons of the tavern in Chapter 8?
4. According to Andahl in Chapter 9, what were the words on the boulder?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 10, David Keller cannot understand why he misses what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James follow up on his Mani discovery later in Chapter 8?
2. How did Del Nearing and Frank Volterra meet?
3. What information does Andahl give about the cult in Chapter 9?
4. How does James seduce Janet Ruffing at the end of Chapter 9?
5. Describe the political argument that James and Eliades have in Chapter 10.
6. How does DeLillo illustrate James' awkward relationship with his landlord in Chapter 10?
7. How does James learn the truth behind the CIA in Chapter 13?
8. What does Singh say about the desert in Chapter 12?
9. What admission does James make to Lindsay Keller in Chapter 13?
10. How is Chapter 14 connected thematically to the rest of the novel?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)