|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In discussing the methodology of the cult in Chapter 9, what does Andahl insist the cultists are not?
(a) Seasoned killers.
(c) Religious zealots.
2. What activity does James join David Keller in at the end of Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 13, what reason does James think Eliades have for seducing Ann?
(a) To learn American customs.
(b) To gain US citizenship.
(c) To kill Charles.
(d) To get closer to James.
4. Why is James Axton in Bombay at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) To investigate local conditions.
(b) To meet with Owen.
(c) To visit Kathryn.
(d) To open a new office.
5. Who does James spend much of Chapter 13 trying to find?
(b) David Keller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
2. Who is Hardeman?
3. How does the congregation react to Orville's inability to speak in tongues in Chapter 14?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Owen mistake James for?
5. In Chapter 8, what is Volterra unsure of regarding his possible documentary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Volterra in his planning for the cult film at the end of Chapter 8?
2. What does Singh say about the desert in Chapter 12?
3. What information does Andahl give about the cult in Chapter 9?
4. How does James follow up on his Mani discovery later in Chapter 8?
5. What traumatic experience happens to Orville Benton in Chapter 14?
6. How did Del Nearing and Frank Volterra meet?
7. What prank do the Kellers and James try to play on Hardeman in Chapter 11?
8. What does James Axton learn in Bombay early in Chapter 11?
9. What suspicions does James have about Eliades in Chapter 13?
10. What unsettling information does Ann Maitland tell James in Chapter 10?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)