|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, where does James hear that Eliades is moving?
(b) New York.
2. Why is James Axton in Bombay at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) To investigate local conditions.
(b) To open a new office.
(c) To visit Kathryn.
(d) To meet with Owen.
3. In Chapter 11, what Indian town is Owen living in?
4. Who leads James to Owen's place in Lahore at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Owen's assistant.
(b) Two young boys.
(c) Anand Das.
(d) His driver.
5. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
(a) The Acropolis.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) Cleopatra's Needle.
(d) The Colloseum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is shot in Chapter 13?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what does Volterra tell Andahl is James' profession?
3. What reason does James offer in Chapter 10 for Greece's continued buffeting by stronger powers historically?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Owen mistake James for?
5. How many bodies are with Owen when he is discovered at the end of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James Axton learn in Bombay early in Chapter 11?
2. What does Singh say about the desert in Chapter 12?
3. Describe the political argument that James and Eliades have in Chapter 10.
4. What traumatic experience happens to Orville Benton in Chapter 14?
5. What admission does James make to Lindsay Keller in Chapter 13?
6. How does James learn the truth behind the CIA in Chapter 13?
7. What point about the murders does Andahl make in Chapter 9?
8. How is Chapter 14 connected thematically to the rest of the novel?
9. In Chapter 12, why does Owen go to Lake Rajsamand?
10. How does DeLillo illustrate James' awkward relationship with his landlord in Chapter 10?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)