|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles specifically - and mistakenly - congratulate James for in Chapter 13?
(a) Quitting the Northeast Group.
(b) Winning custody of Tap.
(c) Courting Ann.
(d) Making a fortune in kickbacks.
2. Why does Eliades say he wants to have dinner with James in Chapter 10?
(a) To look into a job at the Northeast Group.
(b) To inquire after the Maitlands.
(c) To discuss politics.
(d) To see how his Greek is doing.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how does James decide his son's life in British Columbia must be?
4. In discussing the methodology of the cult in Chapter 9, what does Andahl insist the cultists are not?
(b) Seasoned killers.
(d) Religious zealots.
5. What does Rowser fixate on as he talks with James in Chapter 11?
(c) His shoes.
(d) The clear blue sky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character of Orville Benton based on?
2. Who is the cult's victim in Hawa Mandir?
3. In Chapter 13, what does Lindsay Keller say technology is doing to the world?
4. Why is James unable to get information from the patrons of the tavern in Chapter 8?
5. What does James do in Chapter 8 to forget about the cult one sleepless night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offer does David Keller make James in Chapter 8, and how does James respond?
2. What transpires during James' evening with Del Nearing in Chapter 10?
3. What admission does James make to Lindsay Keller in Chapter 13?
4. How is Chapter 14 connected thematically to the rest of the novel?
5. According to Rowser in Chapter 11, what changes are happening in the Northeast Group.
6. How did Del Nearing and Frank Volterra meet?
7. What does James Axton learn in Bombay early in Chapter 11?
8. What point about the murders does Andahl make in Chapter 9?
9. Describe the political argument that James and Eliades have in Chapter 10.
10. What is different about Chapter 14 from the rest of the novel?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)