|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eliades say he wants to have dinner with James in Chapter 10?
(a) To look into a job at the Northeast Group.
(b) To see how his Greek is doing.
(c) To discuss politics.
(d) To inquire after the Maitlands.
2. In Chapter 13, Charles tells James that the Northeast Group has been giving intelligence to what group?
(b) The CIA.
(d) The KGB.
3. Who leads James to Owen's place in Lahore at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) His driver.
(b) Owen's assistant.
(c) Anand Das.
(d) Two young boys.
4. Where is James at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. What reason does James offer in Chapter 10 for Greece's continued buffeting by stronger powers historically?
(a) Its central location.
(b) Its weak military.
(c) Its isolationism.
(d) Its olive crops.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what positive attribute does Del Nearing mention regarding Volterra?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how does James decide his son's life in British Columbia must be?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 8, James goes into a tavern to ask about what?
4. Where is Eliades living in Chapter 11?
5. What is distinct about the writing style of Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James Axton learn in Bombay early in Chapter 11?
2. According to Rowser in Chapter 11, what changes are happening in the Northeast Group.
3. What does Singh say about the desert in Chapter 12?
4. How does James seduce Janet Ruffing at the end of Chapter 9?
5. What unsettling information does Ann Maitland tell James in Chapter 10?
6. How is Chapter 14 connected thematically to the rest of the novel?
7. Where is Volterra in his planning for the cult film at the end of Chapter 8?
8. What transpires during James' evening with Del Nearing in Chapter 10?
9. In Chapter 8, what does James see in Mani that shakes him up?
10. How does Owen look in Chapter 12?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)