|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is James unable to get information from the patrons of the tavern in Chapter 8?
(a) His Greek is not good enough.
(b) Tap keeps interrupting him.
(c) The patrons refuse to talk to him.
(d) The door to the tavern is closed.
2. Who does James spend much of Chapter 13 trying to find?
(b) David Keller.
3. How does the congregation react to Orville's inability to speak in tongues in Chapter 14?
(a) They beat him.
(b) They mock him.
(c) The bless him.
(d) They weep.
4. Whom does James tell he is resigning in Chapter 13?
(b) Mrs. Helen.
5. What false promise does Andahl make before parting ways with Volterra in Chapter 9?
(a) To introduce him to his cell.
(b) To set up a meeting with the cult's leader.
(c) To let him film a ritual murder.
(d) To reveal the location of the next killing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, where does James say he is traveling instead of Kuwait?
2. With what does Singh equate cities in Chapter 12?
3. Which of the following is not a character that James Axton meets in person?
4. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
5. The second time James goes to the Mani in Chapter 8, who does he learn passed through the area recently?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Singh say about the desert in Chapter 12?
2. What point about the murders does Andahl make in Chapter 9?
3. What admission does James make to Lindsay Keller in Chapter 13?
4. How does James follow up on his Mani discovery later in Chapter 8?
5. What is different about Chapter 14 from the rest of the novel?
6. How did Del Nearing and Frank Volterra meet?
7. How is Chapter 14 connected thematically to the rest of the novel?
8. How does Owen look in Chapter 12?
9. How does James seduce Janet Ruffing at the end of Chapter 9?
10. What information does Andahl give about the cult in Chapter 9?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)