|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what topic does James engage his landlord in Chapter 10?
(a) Ronald Reagan.
(b) Greek riots.
(c) The World Cup.
2. What does Del tell James about Volterra's intention regarding his film in Chapter 10?
(a) He wants to film a murder.
(b) He is living with the cult presently.
(c) He is abandoning the project.
(d) He is risking getting murdered himself.
3. In Chapter 8, what is Volterra unsure of regarding his possible documentary?
(a) Whether he wants to report the cult to local authorities.
(b) Whether he wants to show the cult killing.
(c) Whether he wants to carry a gun while filming.
(d) Whether he wants to reveal the faces of the cultists.
4. What is James doing when he hears gunshots in Chapter 13?
(a) Having lunch.
(c) Talking to Tap on the phone.
5. What news does Ann Maitland give James when she has dinner with James in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Hardeman has died.
(b) Charles has a new job.
(c) Her son is getting married.
(d) She is leaving Greece.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Owen admit he failed to learn about the cult in Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 13, what reason does James think Eliades have for seducing Ann?
3. What reason does James offer in Chapter 10 for Greece's continued buffeting by stronger powers historically?
4. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
5. What almost happens to Volterra in the humorous personal story he tells in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prank do the Kellers and James try to play on Hardeman in Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 8, what does James see in Mani that shakes him up?
3. How does James learn the truth behind the CIA in Chapter 13?
4. How does James seduce Janet Ruffing at the end of Chapter 9?
5. How does James follow up on his Mani discovery later in Chapter 8?
6. How does James find a new sense of comfortable stasis at the end of the novel?
7. How does DeLillo illustrate James' awkward relationship with his landlord in Chapter 10?
8. What transpires during James' evening with Del Nearing in Chapter 10?
9. What unsettling information does Ann Maitland tell James in Chapter 10?
10. How does Owen look in Chapter 12?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)