|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the revelations of the novel, who most likely tried to shoot James?
(a) A cult member.
(b) A homeless person.
(c) A Greek nationalist.
(d) A CIA operative.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what does Volterra tell Andahl is James' profession?
3. Who leads James to Owen's place in Lahore at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Owen's assistant.
(b) Anand Das.
(c) Two young boys.
(d) His driver.
4. Who is Hardeman?
(a) A worker on Owen's dig.
(b) Another Northeast Group analyst.
(c) An embassy worker.
(d) Ann Maitland's lover.
5. What does Del tell James about Volterra's intention regarding his film in Chapter 10?
(a) He is living with the cult presently.
(b) He is risking getting murdered himself.
(c) He wants to film a murder.
(d) He is abandoning the project.
Short Answer Questions
1. What puts fear into James as he drives through the Mani in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 11, what Indian town is Owen living in?
3. In Chapter 10, where does James hear that Eliades is moving?
4. In Chapter 10, where does James say he is traveling instead of Kuwait?
5. What almost happens to Volterra in the humorous personal story he tells in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political argument that James and Eliades have in Chapter 10.
2. What does Singh say about the desert in Chapter 12?
3. How does Owen experience the murder in Chapter 12?
4. According to Rowser in Chapter 11, what changes are happening in the Northeast Group.
5. How does James find a new sense of comfortable stasis at the end of the novel?
6. How does Owen look in Chapter 12?
7. What offer does David Keller make James in Chapter 8, and how does James respond?
8. How does James seduce Janet Ruffing at the end of Chapter 9?
9. What unfortunate occurrence happens to David Keller in Chapter 13?
10. Where is Volterra in his planning for the cult film at the end of Chapter 8?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)