|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anand's profession?
2. What event precipitated the separation of the Axtons?
(a) Kathryn had a prolonged affair with Owen.
(b) James slept with one of Kathryn's friends.
(c) Kathryn developed a drinking problem.
(d) James insulted Kathryn's writing.
3. What religious festival do Owen, Kathryn and James discuss in Chapter 2?
(a) The Virgin's Feast.
(b) The Tomatina.
(c) Whit Monday.
(d) The Yule Log Festival.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 7, James wonders whether adultery serves what purpose?
(a) Making travel memorable.
(b) Making oneself seem more important.
(c) Making marriage bearable.
(d) Making aging stop.
5. In Chapter 5, where is Anand planning to go soon?
(d) The United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did James decline to work with Northeast Group initially?
2. In Chapter 6, Vosdanik explains that to the cult of lonely men, words are the vessels of what?
3. Who is Mrs. Helen?
4. In Chapter 1, what monument do James Axton and his friends discuss?
5. Who is Del Nearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Owen Brademas.
2. How do Kathryn and James discuss their relationship in Chapter 2?
3. What theories do Kathryn and Owen posit about the killings in Chapter 5?
4. What do Owen and James talk about at the end of Chapter 2?
5. How has Kathryn Axton changes since separating from James?
6. Describe the awkward lunch at the beginning of Chapter 7.
7. Describe Tap Axton.
8. Why is James ridiculed by his friends in the beginning of Chapter 1?
9. How did James Axton begin working at Northeast Group?
10. How is Rowser's lifestyle strange given his position?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)