|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Owen in Chapter 5, what has America become?
(a) A past empire.
(b) A god.
(c) A bully.
(d) A myth.
2. Which of the following is a spook-like practice that Rowser takes in his daily life?
(a) He travels under assumed names.
(b) He never sits with his back to a door.
(c) He never sleeps in the same hotel room twice.
(d) He wears gloves all the time.
3. What information does Kathryn give about the murder victim at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He has family in the Soviet Union.
(b) He used to work on the dig.
(c) He was a recent transplant.
(d) He was mentally challenged.
4. According to James in Chapter 1, what does Kathryn think life should be?
(a) A struggle.
(b) An education.
(c) A dream.
(d) A vacation.
5. Which of the following is not a named object that Tap and James debate the meaning of in Chapter 1?
(a) A Wellington.
(b) An Ingersoll.
(c) A Mackintosh.
(d) A Chesterfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do information do the two men in Owen's Chapter 2 story ask of him?
2. What offer does James make to Charles in Chapter 4?
3. Why did James decline to work with Northeast Group initially?
4. In Chapter 3, what trip does James discuss with Rowser?
5. In Istanbul, James marvels that his friends reduce every culture to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Owen and James talk about at the end of Chapter 2?
2. What theory about the language cult does James present to Owen in Chapter 7?
3. What theories do Kathryn and Owen posit about the killings in Chapter 5?
4. Why does James Axton like having late-night talks with Owen and Kathryn?
5. How has Charles Maitland changed of late?
6. How is Owen's connection to the cave people addressed in Chapter 4?
7. Why is James ridiculed by his friends in the beginning of Chapter 1?
8. In Chapter 4, what plan does Kathryn have for after her dig ends?
9. Why are the Axtons separated?
10. What plan does Volterra have for his life after film?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)