|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is James concerned about Tap in Chapter 1?
(a) He is concerned Tap is too attached to Owen.
(b) He is concerned about Tap's refusal to learn Greek.
(c) He wants Tap to return to the United States.
(d) He does not know where he's attending school in September.
2. What do information do the two men in Owen's Chapter 2 story ask of him?
(a) Who is father was.
(b) What his business in Matala is.
(c) How many languages he speaks.
(d) Where he was born.
3. What item does James buy as soon as he arrives in Amman in Chapter 6?
(a) A phrasebook.
(b) A bottle of sunscreen.
(c) A map.
(d) A copy of the Koran.
4. What type of church did Owen attend as a child?
5. In Chapter 4, where does Owen think the cave people have gone?
(a) The Greek mainland.
Short Answer Questions
1. At dinner in Chapter 3, the expatriates decide that traveling is like collecting what?
2. What attribute of the cult do Owen and James realize in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Owen admit is the only thing he wants to do with his life?
4. In Chapter 6, Vosdanik explains that to the cult of lonely men, words are the vessels of what?
5. What event precipitated the separation of the Axtons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kathryn rise quickly in Owen Brademas's dig?
2. What is James and Kathryn's relationship with Volterra?
3. How is Owen haunted by his childhood memories of religion?
4. Why is Volterra in Jordan in Chapter 6?
5. What strange coincidence does James notice at the end of Chapter 6?
6. What conversation do Eliades and James have at dinner in Chapter 3?
7. Describe Kathryn and James' argument in Chapter 5?
8. Why are the Axtons separated?
9. Describe the tiff that Charles Maitland and James have at the end of Chapter 7.
10. What theories do Kathryn and Owen posit about the killings in Chapter 5?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)