|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to James in Chapter 1, what does Kathryn think life should be?
(a) An education.
(b) A vacation.
(c) A struggle.
(d) A dream.
2. Which of the following is not a named object that Tap and James debate the meaning of in Chapter 1?
(a) A Mackintosh.
(b) A Wellington.
(c) An Ingersoll.
(d) A Chesterfield.
3. In Chapter 5, where is Anand planning to go soon?
(d) The United States.
4. Who else is on the bus that Volterra, James, and Del take in Chapter 6?
(a) Israeli military.
(b) Baptist missionaries.
(c) Muslim pilgrims.
(d) Japanese students.
5. What specific problem is Volterra having with his excursions in Chapter 6?
(a) He lost his return ticket to the States.
(b) He has no means of transportation.
(c) Local authories don't like him investigating.
(d) His passport is nearly expired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What location is Owen visiting when he meets the two strange men in the tomb caves?
2. In Chapter 2, James says that Kathryn once attacked him with what household item?
3. What item does James buy as soon as he arrives in Amman in Chapter 6?
4. Who joins James and Ann at lunch at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. About whom does James dream about in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Volterra in Jordan in Chapter 6?
2. How do Kathryn and James discuss their relationship in Chapter 2?
3. Why is Owen uncomfortable talking about the Feast of the Virgin in Chapter 2?
4. How is Owen haunted by his childhood memories of religion?
5. Why does James Axton like having late-night talks with Owen and Kathryn?
6. What is different about Chapter 14 from the rest of the novel?
7. What strange coincidence does James notice at the end of Chapter 6?
8. What unsettling information does Ann Maitland tell James in Chapter 10?
9. What explanation of the language cult's motives does Vosdanik offer in Chapter 6?
10. How does James seduce Janet Ruffing at the end of Chapter 9?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)