|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After James drops Anand and Rajiv off in Chapter 4, what does Tap request they do?
(a) Go to the Acropolis for the sunset.
(b) Drive around a while.
(c) Get some gelato.
(d) Go home immediately.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, James wonders whether adultery serves what purpose?
(a) Making aging stop.
(b) Making oneself seem more important.
(c) Making marriage bearable.
(d) Making travel memorable.
3. What location is Owen visiting when he meets the two strange men in the tomb caves?
(a) A monastery.
(b) An arena.
(c) An observatory.
(d) A citadel.
4. About what does James needle Kathryn at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Her relationship with Owen.
(b) His feelings for her.
(c) Tap's schooling.
(d) The importance of the dig.
5. In what part of his apartment is James at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) His bedroom.
(b) His den.
(c) His kitchen.
(d) His balcony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Looking at the methodology of the cult in Chapter 7, James realizes that the actual murders are what?
2. Why did Owen Brademas promote Kathryn so quickly?
3. In Chapter 5, what does James say that Lindsay Keller avoids doing?
4. In Chapter 4, where does Owen think the cave people have gone?
5. According to Owen in Chapter 5, what has America become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about Chapter 14 from the rest of the novel?
2. How has Rowser become more paranoid in Chapter 11?
3. What theory about the language cult does James present to Owen in Chapter 7?
4. What does James Axton learn in Bombay early in Chapter 11?
5. What unfortunate occurrence happens to David Keller in Chapter 13?
6. What does Singh say about the desert in Chapter 12?
7. According to Rowser in Chapter 11, what changes are happening in the Northeast Group.
8. What transpires during James' evening with Del Nearing in Chapter 10?
9. Describe the awkward lunch at the beginning of Chapter 7.
10. What traumatic experience happens to Orville Benton in Chapter 14?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)