|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 2, why does Owen reason that he won't be able to find his cave-dwellers again?
(a) They don't want to be found.
(b) He is scared to look for them.
(c) They can navigate caves with ease.
(d) They have moved on.
2. Where does Kathryn accept a job at the end of Chapter 5?
(d) British Columbia.
3. What country is David Keller going to be air-dropped into in Chapter 5?
4. What is Anand's profession?
5. What do information do the two men in Owen's Chapter 2 story ask of him?
(a) How many languages he speaks.
(b) What his business in Matala is.
(c) Where he was born.
(d) Who is father was.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attribute of the cult do Owen and James realize in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 6, Vosdanik explains that to the cult of lonely men, words are the vessels of what?
3. What type of church did Owen attend as a child?
4. Which of the following is a spook-like practice that Rowser takes in his daily life?
5. How do Tap, Kathryn and James travel to the dig in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory about the language cult does James present to Owen in Chapter 7?
2. Why are the Axtons separated?
3. What does James Axton do in Europe?
4. What story does Owen tell about a cave in Chapter 2?
5. What conversation do Eliades and James have at dinner in Chapter 3?
6. Why is James ridiculed by his friends in the beginning of Chapter 1?
7. Why is Owen uncomfortable talking about the Feast of the Virgin in Chapter 2?
8. Describe Kathryn and James' argument in Chapter 5?
9. Why does James Axton like having late-night talks with Owen and Kathryn?
10. What explanation of the language cult's motives does Vosdanik offer in Chapter 6?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)