|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Kathryn Maitland living on the island of Kouros?
(a) She is there writing her novel.
(b) He parents live there.
(c) Tap is attending a renowned prep school there.
(d) She is workikng an archeological dig there.
2. In Chapter 2, what does Owen admit is the only thing he wants to do with his life?
(a) Sleep all day long.
(b) Read ancient stones.
(c) Teach in a comfortable university.
(d) Pretend to do work in the trenches.
3. At dinner in Chapter 3, the expatriates decide that traveling is like collecting what?
(a) New homes.
(b) Faded postcards.
(c) Old sand.
(d) Dead memories.
4. Which of the following characters admits to having never been to a famous monument in Chapter 1?
(a) Charles Maitland.
(b) James Axton.
(c) Ann Maitland.
(d) Kathryn Axton.
5. How do Tap, Kathryn and James travel to the dig in Chapter 2?
(a) They walk.
(b) They take a bus.
(c) They take the train.
(d) They take a cab.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, where does James tell Kathryn he has been doing most of his work?
2. What offer does James make to Charles in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 5, what does Volterra talk to Owen about?
4. What one aspect of Owen's experience are the men of his story interested in?
5. What religious festival do Owen, Kathryn and James discuss in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory about the language cult does James present to Owen in Chapter 7?
2. What do Owen and James talk about at the end of Chapter 2?
3. Describe the tiff that Charles Maitland and James have at the end of Chapter 7.
4. How has Kathryn Axton changes since separating from James?
5. How did James Axton begin working at Northeast Group?
6. What explanation of the language cult's motives does Vosdanik offer in Chapter 6?
7. How is Owen's connection to the cave people addressed in Chapter 4?
8. What indication exists in Chapter 1 that relations are strained between James and Kathryn?
9. What plan does Volterra have for his life after film?
10. Describe the murder in Kouros.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)