|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, James says that Kathryn once attacked him with what household item?
(a) A potato peeler.
(b) A meat tenderizer.
(c) A letter opener.
(d) A desk lamp.
2. What does James admit to Kathryn as they walk together in Chapter 2?
(a) He is seeing someone new.
(b) He fantasizes about her.
(c) He thinks the dig is a waste.
(d) He is jealous of Owen.
3. About whom does James dream about in Chapter 6?
4. What scares Owen about religion?
(a) Masses of people with the same emotion.
(b) The non-governmental hierarchy.
(c) The wars it engenders.
(d) The iconography.
5. What advice does Rowser give James in Chapter 3?
(a) Take a safe job in the States.
(b) Invest in Greek government bonds.
(c) Get divorced as soon as possible.
(d) Stay out of Lebanon.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Owen in Chapter 5, what has America become?
2. In Chapter 4, James marvels that he can barely read the Greek writing on what?
3. What city is James in at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 5, what has Volterra recently done that has made headlines?
5. What information does Kathryn give about the murder victim at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what plan does Kathryn have for after her dig ends?
2. How has Charles Maitland changed of late?
3. According to Owen in Chapter 5, Why does the world hate America?
4. What theory about the language cult does James present to Owen in Chapter 7?
5. How has Kathryn Axton changes since separating from James?
6. How is Owen haunted by his childhood memories of religion?
7. Why does James Axton like having late-night talks with Owen and Kathryn?
8. What indication exists in Chapter 1 that relations are strained between James and Kathryn?
9. What do Owen and James talk about at the end of Chapter 2?
10. What explanation of the language cult's motives does Vosdanik offer in Chapter 6?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)