|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What almost happens to Volterra in the humorous personal story he tells in Chapter 9?
(a) He almost falls asleep in a conference with an emir.
(b) He is almost trampled by goats.
(c) He almost falls off a rock precipice.
(d) He almost goes home with a transvestite.
2. What do the Keller's and James attempt to do to Hardeman after he passes out in Chapter 11?
(a) Put him on an international flight.
(b) Take his money and passport.
(c) Leave him in a midnight movie house.
(d) Leave him in the bar toilet.
3. What does Orville Benton do in the final moments of the novel?
(a) He flees the church.
(b) He speaks in tongues.
(c) He dies.
(d) He sets fire to a bail of hay.
4. In Chapter 13, what does Lindsay Keller say technology is doing to the world?
(a) Making is dumber.
(b) Making it more exciting.
(c) Making it bigger.
(d) Making it louder.
5. With what does Singh equate cities in Chapter 12?
(d) Rampant sin.
6. What false promise does Andahl make before parting ways with Volterra in Chapter 9?
(a) To set up a meeting with the cult's leader.
(b) To let him film a ritual murder.
(c) To reveal the location of the next killing.
(d) To introduce him to his cell.
7. In Chapter 11, the Keller's, Hardeman and James decide what is the defining characteristic that determines how history books portray rebelling individuals?
8. Where is James at the beginning of Chapter 10?
9. What celestial event is approaching as Owen travels to Rajsamand Lake in Chapter 12?
(a) An equinox.
(b) A solar eclipse.
(c) Aurora Borealis.
(d) A harvest moon.
10. What is distinct about the writing style of Chapter 14?
(a) It is written in verse.
(b) It is written in anagrams.
(c) It has passages in Arabic.
(d) It has frequent misspellings.
11. Who is Hardeman?
(a) An embassy worker.
(b) Another Northeast Group analyst.
(c) Ann Maitland's lover.
(d) A worker on Owen's dig.
12. Where is Eliades living in Chapter 11?
13. What is the first thing Singh asks Owen in Chapter 12?
(a) Where he is from.
(b) What his name is.
(c) How many languages he speaks.
(d) Why he is in Hawa Mandir.
14. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how does James decide his son's life in British Columbia must be?
15. Who is the character of Orville Benton based on?
(c) Don DeLillo.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what medium does Volterra say would be best for telling the cult's story?
2. What reason does James offer in Chapter 10 for Greece's continued buffeting by stronger powers historically?
3. Where in Greece does James meet with Ann and Lindsay Keller in Chapter 11?
4. Which of the following characters is definitely a member of the cult?
5. James travels to all of the following locations except which?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)