|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is James doing when he hears gunshots in Chapter 13?
(a) Having lunch.
(b) Talking to Tap on the phone.
2. In Chapter 11, what Indian town is Owen living in?
3. Why does Eliades say he wants to have dinner with James in Chapter 10?
(a) To see how his Greek is doing.
(b) To discuss politics.
(c) To inquire after the Maitlands.
(d) To look into a job at the Northeast Group.
4. Who tells James Owen's address in Chapter 11?
(a) Anand Dass.
5. What unfortunate incident happens on James's second day of driving with Tap in Chapter 8?
(a) He runs over a dog.
(b) He gets a flat tire.
(c) He makes a disparaging comment about Kathryn.
(d) He falls asleep at the wheel.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what does Volterra tell Andahl is James' profession?
7. In Chapter 8, what is Volterra unsure of regarding his possible documentary?
(a) Whether he wants to report the cult to local authorities.
(b) Whether he wants to show the cult killing.
(c) Whether he wants to carry a gun while filming.
(d) Whether he wants to reveal the faces of the cultists.
8. To what does Volterra attribute the cult killings at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Psychosexual fantasy.
(b) Religious fervor.
(c) Cultural revenge.
9. In Chapter 9, what positive attribute does Del Nearing mention regarding Volterra?
(a) His generosity.
(b) His loyalty.
(c) His empathy.
(d) His artistry.
10. Where in Greece does James meet with Ann and Lindsay Keller in Chapter 11?
(a) An Italian restaurant.
(b) The British Consul.
(c) Ann's new apartment.
(d) The Acropolis.
11. Who does James spend much of Chapter 13 trying to find?
(a) David Keller.
12. What almost happens to Volterra in the humorous personal story he tells in Chapter 9?
(a) He almost goes home with a transvestite.
(b) He almost falls off a rock precipice.
(c) He almost falls asleep in a conference with an emir.
(d) He is almost trampled by goats.
13. In Chapter 12, what does Owen look at Rajsamand Lake?
(a) Sanskit tablets.
(b) An archeological dig.
(c) A series of caves.
(d) A temple.
14. What do the Keller's and James attempt to do to Hardeman after he passes out in Chapter 11?
(a) Leave him in a midnight movie house.
(b) Take his money and passport.
(c) Leave him in the bar toilet.
(d) Put him on an international flight.
15. What is distinct about the writing style of Chapter 14?
(a) It has frequent misspellings.
(b) It is written in verse.
(c) It is written in anagrams.
(d) It has passages in Arabic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
2. Who is the cult's victim in Hawa Mandir?
3. What does James do in Chapter 8 to forget about the cult one sleepless night?
4. In Chapter 13, what reason does James think Eliades have for seducing Ann?
5. What activity does James join David Keller in at the end of Chapter 10?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)