|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Eliades living in Chapter 11?
2. What does Del tell James about Volterra's intention regarding his film in Chapter 10?
(a) He is living with the cult presently.
(b) He wants to film a murder.
(c) He is abandoning the project.
(d) He is risking getting murdered himself.
3. In Chapter 13, what reason does James think Eliades have for seducing Ann?
(a) To gain US citizenship.
(b) To learn American customs.
(c) To get closer to James.
(d) To kill Charles.
4. What does James think of in Chapter 11 as he deals with the passed out Hardeman?
(a) Springs in New York.
(b) Summer camp in rural Pennsylvania.
(c) Autumn on Kouros.
(d) Canadian winters.
5. How many bodies are with Owen when he is discovered at the end of Chapter 12?
6. Who is the character of Orville Benton based on?
(b) Don DeLillo.
7. What does Orville Benton do in the final moments of the novel?
(a) He dies.
(b) He sets fire to a bail of hay.
(c) He speaks in tongues.
(d) He flees the church.
8. In Chapter 13, what does Lindsay Keller say technology is doing to the world?
(a) Making it more exciting.
(b) Making it bigger.
(c) Making is dumber.
(d) Making it louder.
9. Which of the following characters is definitely a member of the cult?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Owen mistake James for?
(a) The angel of death.
(b) His double.
(d) An assassin.
11. What is the first thing Singh asks Owen in Chapter 12?
(a) How many languages he speaks.
(b) What his name is.
(c) Why he is in Hawa Mandir.
(d) Where he is from.
12. Why is James unable to get information from the patrons of the tavern in Chapter 8?
(a) Tap keeps interrupting him.
(b) The patrons refuse to talk to him.
(c) His Greek is not good enough.
(d) The door to the tavern is closed.
13. What does Charles specifically - and mistakenly - congratulate James for in Chapter 13?
(a) Making a fortune in kickbacks.
(b) Winning custody of Tap.
(c) Courting Ann.
(d) Quitting the Northeast Group.
14. What is distinct about the writing style of Chapter 14?
(a) It has passages in Arabic.
(b) It has frequent misspellings.
(c) It is written in anagrams.
(d) It is written in verse.
15. Who leads James to Owen's place in Lahore at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Owen's assistant.
(b) Anand Das.
(c) Two young boys.
(d) His driver.
Short Answer Questions
1. What celestial event is approaching as Owen travels to Rajsamand Lake in Chapter 12?
2. What holiday is approaching at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. What has Eliades been asking Ann Maitland about James in Chapter 10?
4. In Chapter 10, where does James hear that Eliades is moving?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how does James decide his son's life in British Columbia must be?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)