|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are James and Ann doing at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Making love.
(b) Visiting the Acropolis.
(c) Packing up his flat.
(d) Saying goodbye to Charles.
2. Who does James spend much of Chapter 13 trying to find?
(a) David Keller.
3. Which of the following items is among the foods James and Eliades eat in Chapter 10?
4. Who is the cult's victim in Hawa Mandir?
(a) A crippled boy.
(b) A German tourist.
(c) A homeless woman.
(d) An old man.
5. James travels to all of the following locations except which?
(b) Hawa Mandir.
6. What puts fear into James as he drives through the Mani in Chapter 8?
(a) A configuration of logs.
(b) A shadowy figure on the side of the road.
(c) A large hail-storm.
(d) A boulder with words on it.
7. In Chapter 8, what is Volterra unsure of regarding his possible documentary?
(a) Whether he wants to report the cult to local authorities.
(b) Whether he wants to show the cult killing.
(c) Whether he wants to carry a gun while filming.
(d) Whether he wants to reveal the faces of the cultists.
8. Who is the presumptive writer of Chapter 14?
(a) Owen Brademas.
(c) Tap Axton.
9. What city is James in at the end of Chapter 9?
10. What are Rowser's plans as he talks to James at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Marrying his live-in girlfriend.
(b) Leaving Northeast Group.
(c) Taking a position in Africa.
(d) Moving to China.
11. How many bodies are with Owen when he is discovered at the end of Chapter 12?
12. Which of the following characters does not actively search for the cult in the novel?
13. To what does Volterra attribute the cult killings at the end of Chapter 8?
(b) Psychosexual fantasy.
(c) Cultural revenge.
(d) Religious fervor.
14. Why does Eliades say he wants to have dinner with James in Chapter 10?
(a) To inquire after the Maitlands.
(b) To look into a job at the Northeast Group.
(c) To discuss politics.
(d) To see how his Greek is doing.
15. Who is Hardeman?
(a) Ann Maitland's lover.
(b) A worker on Owen's dig.
(c) An embassy worker.
(d) Another Northeast Group analyst.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 8, James goes into a tavern to ask about what?
2. In Chapter 13, Charles tells James that the Northeast Group has been giving intelligence to what group?
3. In Chapter 9, what positive attribute does Del Nearing mention regarding Volterra?
4. What has Eliades been asking Ann Maitland about James in Chapter 10?
5. What activity does James join David Keller in at the end of Chapter 10?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)