|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What false promise does Andahl make before parting ways with Volterra in Chapter 9?
(a) To let him film a ritual murder.
(b) To set up a meeting with the cult's leader.
(c) To introduce him to his cell.
(d) To reveal the location of the next killing.
2. Which of the following characters does not actively search for the cult in the novel?
3. Who is the character of Orville Benton based on?
(c) Don DeLillo.
4. In Chapter 13, what does Lindsay Keller say technology is doing to the world?
(a) Making it bigger.
(b) Making it louder.
(c) Making is dumber.
(d) Making it more exciting.
5. Where is Tap Axton living at the end of the novel?
(d) British Columbia.
6. Based on the revelations of the novel, who most likely tried to shoot James?
(a) A cult member.
(b) A homeless person.
(c) A Greek nationalist.
(d) A CIA operative.
7. What does Andahl refused to divulge about the cult in Chapter 9?
(a) Its location.
(b) Its origins.
(c) Its methods.
(d) Its faith.
8. Who is the presumptive writer of Chapter 14?
(a) Tap Axton.
(b) Owen Brademas.
9. What descriptor does Andahl use to describe the nature of the cult in Chapter 9?
10. Where in Greece does James meet with Ann and Lindsay Keller in Chapter 11?
(a) The Acropolis.
(b) The British Consul.
(c) An Italian restaurant.
(d) Ann's new apartment.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what does Volterra tell Andahl is James' profession?
12. Who is the cult's victim in Hawa Mandir?
(a) A homeless woman.
(b) A German tourist.
(c) An old man.
(d) A crippled boy.
13. In Chapter 13, what reason does James think Eliades have for seducing Ann?
(a) To learn American customs.
(b) To gain US citizenship.
(c) To get closer to James.
(d) To kill Charles.
14. What unfortunate incident happens on James's second day of driving with Tap in Chapter 8?
(a) He makes a disparaging comment about Kathryn.
(b) He falls asleep at the wheel.
(c) He runs over a dog.
(d) He gets a flat tire.
15. What is the first thing Singh asks Owen in Chapter 12?
(a) Why he is in Hawa Mandir.
(b) Where he is from.
(c) How many languages he speaks.
(d) What his name is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Eliades living in Chapter 11?
2. What reason does James offer in Chapter 10 for Greece's continued buffeting by stronger powers historically?
3. Who does James spend much of Chapter 13 trying to find?
4. What is the primary feature of the village of Hawa Mandir?
5. Where is James at the beginning of Chapter 10?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)