|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 10, David Keller cannot understand why he misses what?
(a) His college days.
(b) Casual business acquaintances.
(c) His first wife.
(d) The dangerous countries he visits.
2. What do the Keller's and James attempt to do to Hardeman after he passes out in Chapter 11?
(a) Put him on an international flight.
(b) Take his money and passport.
(c) Leave him in a midnight movie house.
(d) Leave him in the bar toilet.
3. Who is the character of Orville Benton based on?
(b) Don DeLillo.
4. Where in Greece does James meet with Ann and Lindsay Keller in Chapter 11?
(a) An Italian restaurant.
(b) The Acropolis.
(c) Ann's new apartment.
(d) The British Consul.
5. What does Owen admit he failed to learn about the cult in Chapter 12?
(a) Their leader.
(b) Their name.
(c) Their methodology.
(d) Their origins.
6. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
(a) Cleopatra's Needle.
(b) The Colloseum.
(c) The Acropolis.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
7. Where is James at the beginning of Chapter 10?
8. What does Andahl refused to divulge about the cult in Chapter 9?
(a) Its methods.
(b) Its faith.
(c) Its location.
(d) Its origins.
9. What does Charles specifically - and mistakenly - congratulate James for in Chapter 13?
(a) Quitting the Northeast Group.
(b) Making a fortune in kickbacks.
(c) Courting Ann.
(d) Winning custody of Tap.
10. Why is James Axton in Bombay at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) To visit Kathryn.
(b) To meet with Owen.
(c) To investigate local conditions.
(d) To open a new office.
11. Which of the following is not a character that James Axton meets in person?
(c) Anand Das.
(d) Del Nearing.
12. What false promise does Andahl make before parting ways with Volterra in Chapter 9?
(a) To let him film a ritual murder.
(b) To reveal the location of the next killing.
(c) To introduce him to his cell.
(d) To set up a meeting with the cult's leader.
13. What activity does James join David Keller in at the end of Chapter 10?
14. Why is James unable to get information from the patrons of the tavern in Chapter 8?
(a) Tap keeps interrupting him.
(b) The patrons refuse to talk to him.
(c) His Greek is not good enough.
(d) The door to the tavern is closed.
15. What does Orville Benton do in the final moments of the novel?
(a) He sets fire to a bail of hay.
(b) He flees the church.
(c) He speaks in tongues.
(d) He dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how does James decide his son's life in British Columbia must be?
2. What is different about James and Ann in Chapter 11?
3. Who is shot in Chapter 13?
4. In discussing the methodology of the cult in Chapter 9, what does Andahl insist the cultists are not?
5. What almost happens to Volterra in the humorous personal story he tells in Chapter 9?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)