|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is James at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. What do the Keller's and James attempt to do to Hardeman after he passes out in Chapter 11?
(a) Take his money and passport.
(b) Put him on an international flight.
(c) Leave him in the bar toilet.
(d) Leave him in a midnight movie house.
3. What has Eliades been asking Ann Maitland about James in Chapter 10?
(a) His sexuality.
(b) His family.
(c) His work.
(d) His politics.
4. What does Orville Benton do in the final moments of the novel?
(a) He sets fire to a bail of hay.
(b) He speaks in tongues.
(c) He dies.
(d) He flees the church.
5. In Chapter 12, what does Owen look at Rajsamand Lake?
(a) A series of caves.
(b) A temple.
(c) Sanskit tablets.
(d) An archeological dig.
6. What is the first thing Singh asks Owen in Chapter 12?
(a) What his name is.
(b) How many languages he speaks.
(c) Where he is from.
(d) Why he is in Hawa Mandir.
7. What descriptor does Andahl use to describe the nature of the cult in Chapter 9?
8. Who leads James to Owen's place in Lahore at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Anand Das.
(b) Owen's assistant.
(c) His driver.
(d) Two young boys.
9. What almost happens to Volterra in the humorous personal story he tells in Chapter 9?
(a) He almost goes home with a transvestite.
(b) He almost falls off a rock precipice.
(c) He almost falls asleep in a conference with an emir.
(d) He is almost trampled by goats.
10. In Chapter 8, what is Volterra unsure of regarding his possible documentary?
(a) Whether he wants to report the cult to local authorities.
(b) Whether he wants to show the cult killing.
(c) Whether he wants to carry a gun while filming.
(d) Whether he wants to reveal the faces of the cultists.
11. On what topic does Sigh repeatedly expound in the Chapter 12?
(a) American foreign policy.
(b) The Hindu firmament.
(c) The desert.
(d) Life and death.
12. Which of the following characters does not actively search for the cult in the novel?
13. Who is the cult's victim in Hawa Mandir?
(a) A crippled boy.
(b) A German tourist.
(c) An old man.
(d) A homeless woman.
14. In Chapter 13, Charles tells James that the Northeast Group has been giving intelligence to what group?
(a) The CIA.
(c) The KGB.
15. What news does Ann Maitland give James when she has dinner with James in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) She is leaving Greece.
(b) Charles has a new job.
(c) Hardeman has died.
(d) Her son is getting married.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what does Volterra tell Andahl is James' profession?
2. Why is James Axton in Bombay at the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. What does Charles specifically - and mistakenly - congratulate James for in Chapter 13?
4. What is distinct about the writing style of Chapter 14?
5. What reason does James offer in Chapter 10 for Greece's continued buffeting by stronger powers historically?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)