|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, where does James hear that Eliades is moving?
(b) New York.
2. Who is the presumptive writer of Chapter 14?
(a) Owen Brademas.
(d) Tap Axton.
3. What does James think of in Chapter 11 as he deals with the passed out Hardeman?
(a) Canadian winters.
(b) Summer camp in rural Pennsylvania.
(c) Autumn on Kouros.
(d) Springs in New York.
4. What is distinct about the writing style of Chapter 14?
(a) It has frequent misspellings.
(b) It is written in verse.
(c) It is written in anagrams.
(d) It has passages in Arabic.
5. Why is James Axton in Bombay at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) To meet with Owen.
(b) To open a new office.
(c) To investigate local conditions.
(d) To visit Kathryn.
6. What is different about James and Ann in Chapter 11?
(a) They refuse to talk to each other.
(b) They both have the flu.
(c) They are romantically involved.
(d) They are deeply concerned with Charles.
7. What does Rowser fixate on as he talks with James in Chapter 11?
(a) His shoes.
(b) The clear blue sky.
8. What are Rowser's plans as he talks to James at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Marrying his live-in girlfriend.
(b) Moving to China.
(c) Leaving Northeast Group.
(d) Taking a position in Africa.
9. In Chapter 10, where does James say he is traveling instead of Kuwait?
10. What unfortunate incident happens on James's second day of driving with Tap in Chapter 8?
(a) He gets a flat tire.
(b) He runs over a dog.
(c) He falls asleep at the wheel.
(d) He makes a disparaging comment about Kathryn.
11. Based on the revelations of the novel, who most likely tried to shoot James?
(a) A cult member.
(b) A CIA operative.
(c) A homeless person.
(d) A Greek nationalist.
12. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
(a) Cleopatra's Needle.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) The Colloseum.
(d) The Acropolis.
13. On what topic does Sigh repeatedly expound in the Chapter 12?
(a) American foreign policy.
(b) Life and death.
(c) The desert.
(d) The Hindu firmament.
14. Who is shot in Chapter 13?
(c) David Keller.
(d) Ann Maitland.
15. Who leads James to Owen's place in Lahore at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Two young boys.
(b) Anand Das.
(c) Owen's assistant.
(d) His driver.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orville Benton do in the final moments of the novel?
2. What city is James in at the end of Chapter 9?
3. In Chapter 9, what medium does Volterra say would be best for telling the cult's story?
4. Who is the character of Orville Benton based on?
5. What are James and Ann doing at the end of Chapter 13?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)