|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andahl refused to divulge about the cult in Chapter 9?
(a) Its origins.
(b) Its methods.
(c) Its faith.
(d) Its location.
2. What does James think of in Chapter 11 as he deals with the passed out Hardeman?
(a) Autumn on Kouros.
(b) Springs in New York.
(c) Canadian winters.
(d) Summer camp in rural Pennsylvania.
3. What unfortunate incident happens on James's second day of driving with Tap in Chapter 8?
(a) He gets a flat tire.
(b) He runs over a dog.
(c) He falls asleep at the wheel.
(d) He makes a disparaging comment about Kathryn.
4. Who is Hardeman?
(a) A worker on Owen's dig.
(b) Another Northeast Group analyst.
(c) Ann Maitland's lover.
(d) An embassy worker.
5. What is James doing when he hears gunshots in Chapter 13?
(a) Talking to Tap on the phone.
(b) Having lunch.
6. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
(a) The Acropolis.
(b) Cleopatra's Needle.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) The Colloseum.
7. Who tells James Owen's address in Chapter 11?
(d) Anand Dass.
8. What has Eliades been asking Ann Maitland about James in Chapter 10?
(a) His politics.
(b) His sexuality.
(c) His family.
(d) His work.
9. What does the A in Tap stand for?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Owen mistake James for?
(a) The angel of death.
(c) His double.
(d) An assassin.
11. Where is Del Nearing en route to when she stays with James in Chapter 10?
(c) New York.
12. Based on the revelations of the novel, who most likely tried to shoot James?
(a) A homeless person.
(b) A CIA operative.
(c) A cult member.
(d) A Greek nationalist.
13. Who does James spend much of Chapter 13 trying to find?
(d) David Keller.
14. Who is the character of Orville Benton based on?
(b) Don DeLillo.
15. In the beginning of Chapter 10, David Keller cannot understand why he misses what?
(a) His first wife.
(b) His college days.
(c) The dangerous countries he visits.
(d) Casual business acquaintances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles specifically - and mistakenly - congratulate James for in Chapter 13?
2. What does Rowser fixate on as he talks with James in Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 12, what does Owen look at Rajsamand Lake?
4. With what does Singh equate cities in Chapter 12?
5. Who leads James to Owen's place in Lahore at the beginning of Chapter 12?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)