|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does David Keller suggest he and James do in Frankfurt?
(a) Take in a symphony.
(b) Get drunk.
(c) Watch American football.
(d) Visit an old monastery library.
2. The second time James goes to the Mani in Chapter 8, who does he learn passed through the area recently?
(a) Three women.
(b) Five men and women.
(c) Two women and a man.
(d) A group of thirty.
3. Where is Del Nearing en route to when she stays with James in Chapter 10?
(a) New York.
4. What celestial event is approaching as Owen travels to Rajsamand Lake in Chapter 12?
(a) Aurora Borealis.
(b) A harvest moon.
(c) A solar eclipse.
(d) An equinox.
5. What city is James in at the end of Chapter 9?
6. To what does Volterra attribute the cult killings at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Religious fervor.
(b) Psychosexual fantasy.
(d) Cultural revenge.
7. Why is James unable to get information from the patrons of the tavern in Chapter 8?
(a) His Greek is not good enough.
(b) The door to the tavern is closed.
(c) The patrons refuse to talk to him.
(d) Tap keeps interrupting him.
8. What almost happens to Volterra in the humorous personal story he tells in Chapter 9?
(a) He almost falls off a rock precipice.
(b) He almost falls asleep in a conference with an emir.
(c) He is almost trampled by goats.
(d) He almost goes home with a transvestite.
9. In Chapter 12, what does Owen look at Rajsamand Lake?
(a) An archeological dig.
(b) Sanskit tablets.
(c) A temple.
(d) A series of caves.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 8, James goes into a tavern to ask about what?
(a) Local archeological digs.
(b) Local eateries.
(c) Local hotels.
(d) Local rock formations.
11. On what topic does James engage his landlord in Chapter 10?
(a) The World Cup.
(c) Ronald Reagan.
(d) Greek riots.
12. Who is Hardeman?
(a) Ann Maitland's lover.
(b) An embassy worker.
(c) Another Northeast Group analyst.
(d) A worker on Owen's dig.
13. What is Janet Ruffing doing when James decides to sleep with her in Chapter 9?
(a) Preparing a salad.
(c) Taking a nap on the beach.
(d) Telling a dirty joke.
14. What has Eliades been asking Ann Maitland about James in Chapter 10?
(a) His sexuality.
(b) His work.
(c) His politics.
(d) His family.
15. Who is the character of Orville Benton based on?
(d) Don DeLillo.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Andahl in Chapter 9, what were the words on the boulder?
2. Which of the following items is among the foods James and Eliades eat in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 13, what does James admit to Lindsay Keller that he has never done?
4. What are James and Ann doing at the end of Chapter 13?
5. What monument figures prominently in both the beginning and the end of the novel?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)