|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how does James decide his son's life in British Columbia must be?
2. The second time James goes to the Mani in Chapter 8, who does he learn passed through the area recently?
(a) Five men and women.
(b) Three women.
(c) Two women and a man.
(d) A group of thirty.
3. What does James do in Chapter 8 to forget about the cult one sleepless night?
(a) He talks to Kathryn on the phone.
(b) He solicits a prostitute.
(c) He works through the night.
(d) He goes to a film.
4. What is different about James and Ann in Chapter 11?
(a) They both have the flu.
(b) They refuse to talk to each other.
(c) They are romantically involved.
(d) They are deeply concerned with Charles.
5. What are Rowser's plans as he talks to James at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Taking a position in Africa.
(b) Moving to China.
(c) Marrying his live-in girlfriend.
(d) Leaving Northeast Group.
6. James travels to all of the following locations except which?
(a) Hawa Mandir.
7. Based on the revelations of the novel, who most likely tried to shoot James?
(a) A homeless person.
(b) A cult member.
(c) A CIA operative.
(d) A Greek nationalist.
8. Who does James spend much of Chapter 13 trying to find?
(c) David Keller.
9. Who is Hardeman?
(a) Ann Maitland's lover.
(b) Another Northeast Group analyst.
(c) A worker on Owen's dig.
(d) An embassy worker.
10. What reason does James offer in Chapter 10 for Greece's continued buffeting by stronger powers historically?
(a) Its olive crops.
(b) Its central location.
(c) Its isolationism.
(d) Its weak military.
11. In Chapter 9, what medium does Volterra say would be best for telling the cult's story?
(a) A play.
(b) A documentary.
(c) A book.
(d) A lecture.
12. What is distinct about the writing style of Chapter 14?
(a) It has passages in Arabic.
(b) It is written in verse.
(c) It has frequent misspellings.
(d) It is written in anagrams.
13. Who is shot in Chapter 13?
(b) Ann Maitland.
(c) David Keller.
14. With what does Singh equate cities in Chapter 12?
(b) Rampant sin.
15. What descriptor does Andahl use to describe the nature of the cult in Chapter 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is James Axton in Bombay at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. With what other character does Hardeman work?
3. What does Rowser fixate on as he talks with James in Chapter 11?
4. In discussing the methodology of the cult in Chapter 9, what does Andahl insist the cultists are not?
5. Where in Greece does James meet with Ann and Lindsay Keller in Chapter 11?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)