|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what reason does James think Eliades have for seducing Ann?
(a) To get closer to James.
(b) To learn American customs.
(c) To kill Charles.
(d) To gain US citizenship.
2. Based on the revelations of the novel, who most likely tried to shoot James?
(a) A Greek nationalist.
(b) A homeless person.
(c) A cult member.
(d) A CIA operative.
3. What do the Keller's and James attempt to do to Hardeman after he passes out in Chapter 11?
(a) Take his money and passport.
(b) Put him on an international flight.
(c) Leave him in the bar toilet.
(d) Leave him in a midnight movie house.
4. In the beginning of Chapter 10, David Keller cannot understand why he misses what?
(a) His first wife.
(b) His college days.
(c) The dangerous countries he visits.
(d) Casual business acquaintances.
5. What is James doing when he hears gunshots in Chapter 13?
(a) Having lunch.
(c) Talking to Tap on the phone.
6. In Chapter 10, where does James say he is traveling instead of Kuwait?
7. In Chapter 13, what does James admit to Lindsay Keller that he has never done?
(a) Been to Paris.
(b) Punched another person.
(c) Liked himself.
(d) Given himself to someone.
8. On what topic does James engage his landlord in Chapter 10?
(a) The World Cup.
(c) Ronald Reagan.
(d) Greek riots.
9. What puts fear into James as he drives through the Mani in Chapter 8?
(a) A large hail-storm.
(b) A configuration of logs.
(c) A boulder with words on it.
(d) A shadowy figure on the side of the road.
10. What does Charles specifically - and mistakenly - congratulate James for in Chapter 13?
(a) Quitting the Northeast Group.
(b) Courting Ann.
(c) Making a fortune in kickbacks.
(d) Winning custody of Tap.
11. Why does Eliades say he wants to have dinner with James in Chapter 10?
(a) To discuss politics.
(b) To inquire after the Maitlands.
(c) To see how his Greek is doing.
(d) To look into a job at the Northeast Group.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 8, James goes into a tavern to ask about what?
(a) Local archeological digs.
(b) Local eateries.
(c) Local hotels.
(d) Local rock formations.
13. With what other character does Hardeman work?
14. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how does James decide his son's life in British Columbia must be?
15. What does Owen admit he failed to learn about the cult in Chapter 12?
(a) Their methodology.
(b) Their leader.
(c) Their name.
(d) Their origins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Janet Ruffing doing when James decides to sleep with her in Chapter 9?
2. Which of the following characters does not actively search for the cult in the novel?
3. In Chapter 8, what does David Keller suggest he and James do in Frankfurt?
4. What city is James in at the end of Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 10, where does James hear that Eliades is moving?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)