|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is James Axton in Bombay at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) To open a new office.
(b) To investigate local conditions.
(c) To meet with Owen.
(d) To visit Kathryn.
2. On what topic does James engage his landlord in Chapter 10?
(b) Ronald Reagan.
(c) The World Cup.
(d) Greek riots.
3. What do the Keller's and James attempt to do to Hardeman after he passes out in Chapter 11?
(a) Put him on an international flight.
(b) Take his money and passport.
(c) Leave him in the bar toilet.
(d) Leave him in a midnight movie house.
4. What celestial event is approaching as Owen travels to Rajsamand Lake in Chapter 12?
(a) An equinox.
(b) A harvest moon.
(c) A solar eclipse.
(d) Aurora Borealis.
5. In Chapter 13, what reason does James think Eliades have for seducing Ann?
(a) To learn American customs.
(b) To get closer to James.
(c) To kill Charles.
(d) To gain US citizenship.
6. What is James doing when he hears gunshots in Chapter 13?
(b) Talking to Tap on the phone.
(d) Having lunch.
7. Who is the character of Orville Benton based on?
(d) Don DeLillo.
8. What is Janet Ruffing doing when James decides to sleep with her in Chapter 9?
(a) Preparing a salad.
(b) Taking a nap on the beach.
(c) Telling a dirty joke.
9. In Chapter 13, what does James admit to Lindsay Keller that he has never done?
(a) Punched another person.
(b) Been to Paris.
(c) Given himself to someone.
(d) Liked himself.
10. Why does Eliades say he wants to have dinner with James in Chapter 10?
(a) To see how his Greek is doing.
(b) To discuss politics.
(c) To look into a job at the Northeast Group.
(d) To inquire after the Maitlands.
11. What does Rowser fixate on as he talks with James in Chapter 11?
(a) The clear blue sky.
(b) His shoes.
12. The second time James goes to the Mani in Chapter 8, who does he learn passed through the area recently?
(a) Five men and women.
(b) Three women.
(c) Two women and a man.
(d) A group of thirty.
13. What does the A in Tap stand for?
14. What is the first thing Singh asks Owen in Chapter 12?
(a) How many languages he speaks.
(b) Where he is from.
(c) What his name is.
(d) Why he is in Hawa Mandir.
15. Whom does James tell he is resigning in Chapter 13?
(c) Mrs. Helen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Rowser's plans as he talks to James at the end of Chapter 11?
2. What news does Ann Maitland give James when she has dinner with James in the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What does Orville Benton do in the final moments of the novel?
4. What does James do in Chapter 8 to forget about the cult one sleepless night?
5. How many bodies are with Owen when he is discovered at the end of Chapter 12?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)