|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rowser fixate on as he talks with James in Chapter 11?
(b) His shoes.
(c) The clear blue sky.
2. What holiday is approaching at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Bastille Day.
(d) Armistice Day.
3. In Chapter 8, what does David Keller suggest he and James do in Frankfurt?
(a) Get drunk.
(b) Take in a symphony.
(c) Visit an old monastery library.
(d) Watch American football.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 8, James goes into a tavern to ask about what?
(a) Local hotels.
(b) Local archeological digs.
(c) Local rock formations.
(d) Local eateries.
5. In Chapter 9, what positive attribute does Del Nearing mention regarding Volterra?
(a) His artistry.
(b) His empathy.
(c) His generosity.
(d) His loyalty.
6. What does Charles specifically - and mistakenly - congratulate James for in Chapter 13?
(a) Courting Ann.
(b) Winning custody of Tap.
(c) Making a fortune in kickbacks.
(d) Quitting the Northeast Group.
7. What does the A in Tap stand for?
8. What city is James in at the end of Chapter 9?
9. According to Andahl in Chapter 9, what were the words on the boulder?
(a) A warning.
(b) A manifesto.
(c) A clue.
(d) A signature.
10. What puts fear into James as he drives through the Mani in Chapter 8?
(a) A configuration of logs.
(b) A shadowy figure on the side of the road.
(c) A boulder with words on it.
(d) A large hail-storm.
11. Which of the following characters is definitely a member of the cult?
12. Who tells James Owen's address in Chapter 11?
(d) Anand Dass.
13. In Chapter 12, what does Owen look at Rajsamand Lake?
(a) An archeological dig.
(b) Sanskit tablets.
(c) A temple.
(d) A series of caves.
14. With what does Singh equate cities in Chapter 12?
(b) Rampant sin.
15. What is Janet Ruffing doing when James decides to sleep with her in Chapter 9?
(a) Telling a dirty joke.
(b) Taking a nap on the beach.
(c) Preparing a salad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Andahl?
2. What news does Ann Maitland give James when she has dinner with James in the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What are Rowser's plans as he talks to James at the end of Chapter 11?
4. Where is Tap Axton living at the end of the novel?
5. What does Orville Benton do in the final moments of the novel?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)