|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their argument in Chapter 5, what does Kathryn call James?
(a) An alcoholic.
(b) A fascist.
(c) A womanizer.
(d) A fool.
2. In Chapter 1, what word does Kathryn bet James that Tap knows?
3. In Chapter 4, James marvels that he can barely read the Greek writing on what?
(a) His passport stamp.
(b) A rail map.
(c) A box of oatmeal.
(d) A gyro stand menu.
4. In Chapter 1, where does James tell Kathryn he has been doing most of his work?
(b) The Soviet Union.
5. What country is Volterra likely in, in Chapter 5?
6. Who else is on the bus that Volterra, James, and Del take in Chapter 6?
(a) Muslim pilgrims.
(b) Israeli military.
(c) Japanese students.
(d) Baptist missionaries.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 7, James wonders whether adultery serves what purpose?
(a) Making travel memorable.
(b) Making aging stop.
(c) Making oneself seem more important.
(d) Making marriage bearable.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 5, James says that people love to give Kathryn what?
(a) Personal secrets.
(b) Greeting cards.
(c) Their phone numbers.
9. In Chapter 4, where is Kathryn thinking of moving to with Tap?
(a) New Delhi.
10. About what does James needle Kathryn at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The importance of the dig.
(b) Her relationship with Owen.
(c) Tap's schooling.
(d) His feelings for her.
11. Which of the following is not a tactic Kathryn used to learn Greek?
(a) Listening to tapes.
(b) Translating magazines.
(c) Buying dictionaries.
(d) Hiring a teacher.
12. In Chapter 5, what does Volterra talk to Owen about?
(a) His dig.
(b) His relationship with Kathryn.
(c) The language cult.
(d) The Cold War.
13. In Chapter 6, Vosdanik explains that to the cult of lonely men, words are the vessels of what?
14. Which of the following is not a named object that Tap and James debate the meaning of in Chapter 1?
(a) A Chesterfield.
(b) A Mackintosh.
(c) A Wellington.
(d) An Ingersoll.
15. In Chapter 3, what trip does James discuss with Rowser?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to James at the beginning of Chapter 2, what does Owen see that others do not?
2. At dinner in Chapter 3, the expatriates decide that traveling is like collecting what?
3. What favorite activity has Charles Maitland given up on in Chapter 4?
4. Looking at the methodology of the cult in Chapter 7, James realizes that the actual murders are what?
5. Where does Kathryn accept a job at the end of Chapter 5?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)