|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the dig's trenches overlap?
(a) An olive grove.
(b) A playground.
(c) A cemetery.
(d) A pear orchard.
2. How many items are on the list James reads to Kathryn at the end of Chapter 1?
3. What event precipitated the separation of the Axtons?
(a) James insulted Kathryn's writing.
(b) Kathryn developed a drinking problem.
(c) James slept with one of Kathryn's friends.
(d) Kathryn had a prolonged affair with Owen.
4. What admission does Ann make to James in Chapter 4?
(a) She is having an affair.
(b) Charles has been fired.
(c) She speaks no Greek.
(d) She has been embezzling money.
5. In Chapter 2, James says that Kathryn once attacked him with what household item?
(a) A potato peeler.
(b) A desk lamp.
(c) A letter opener.
(d) A meat tenderizer.
6. Which of following characters does not speak Ob?
7. What is the subject of Volterra's breakout documentary?
(a) The last days of his dying father.
(b) A wildfire in the Ardens.
(c) The savings-and-load scandal
(d) His affair with an again Manhattanite.
8. In Chapter 1, what does James say is the only thing he can remember in Greek?
9. What country is David Keller going to be air-dropped into in Chapter 5?
10. What European city does James Axton have an apartment in?
(a) West Berlin.
11. At the end of Chapter 2, why does Owen reason that he won't be able to find his cave-dwellers again?
(a) They can navigate caves with ease.
(b) He is scared to look for them.
(c) They have moved on.
(d) They don't want to be found.
12. In Chapter 1, what word does Kathryn bet James that Tap knows?
13. What religious festival do Owen, Kathryn and James discuss in Chapter 2?
(a) The Tomatina.
(b) Whit Monday.
(c) The Virgin's Feast.
(d) The Yule Log Festival.
14. What one aspect of Owen's experience are the men of his story interested in?
(a) His religion.
(b) His American heritage.
(c) His wealth.
15. In what part of his apartment is James at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) His balcony.
(b) His bedroom.
(c) His den.
(d) His kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Looking at the methodology of the cult in Chapter 7, James realizes that the actual murders are what?
2. According to James in Chapter 1, what does Kathryn think life should be?
3. Why did Owen Brademas promote Kathryn so quickly?
4. What country is Volterra likely in, in Chapter 5?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, James wonders whether adultery serves what purpose?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)