|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anand's profession?
2. Who joins James and Ann at lunch at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) James's nephew.
(b) Ann's son.
(c) Ann's sister.
(d) Charles's aunt.
3. In Chapter 2, what does Owen admit is the only thing he wants to do with his life?
(a) Pretend to do work in the trenches.
(b) Teach in a comfortable university.
(c) Sleep all day long.
(d) Read ancient stones.
4. What event precipitated the separation of the Axtons?
(a) James insulted Kathryn's writing.
(b) Kathryn developed a drinking problem.
(c) James slept with one of Kathryn's friends.
(d) Kathryn had a prolonged affair with Owen.
5. How do Tap, Kathryn and James travel to the dig in Chapter 2?
(a) They take a cab.
(b) They take the train.
(c) They take a bus.
(d) They walk.
6. What religious festival do Owen, Kathryn and James discuss in Chapter 2?
(a) The Virgin's Feast.
(b) The Tomatina.
(c) The Yule Log Festival.
(d) Whit Monday.
7. What country is Volterra likely in, in Chapter 5?
8. What advice does Rowser give James in Chapter 3?
(a) Invest in Greek government bonds.
(b) Stay out of Lebanon.
(c) Take a safe job in the States.
(d) Get divorced as soon as possible.
9. In Chapter 6, Vosdanik explains that to the cult of lonely men, words are the vessels of what?
10. What city is James in at the beginning of Chapter 3?
11. Who is the inspiration for Tap's novel?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Oedipus Rex.
(c) James Axton.
(d) Owen Brademas.
12. What favorite activity has Charles Maitland given up on in Chapter 4?
(a) Rebuilding up his classic car.
(b) Tending his flower garden.
(d) Flying his plane.
13. In Chapter 4, where does Owen think the cave people have gone?
(d) The Greek mainland.
14. Where was James living when Rowser first offered him a job?
(b) New York.
15. What does James steal from the fridge at his wife's apartment in Chapter 1?
(a) A beer.
(b) A sandwich.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else is on the bus that Volterra, James, and Del take in Chapter 6?
2. What does James admit to Kathryn as they walk together in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 2, James says that Kathryn once attacked him with what household item?
4. Which of the following characters admits to having never been to a famous monument in Chapter 1?
5. What does Anand confide to James about Owen in Chapter 4?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)