|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kathryn describe her and James' post-separation relationship in Chapter 2?
2. Why did Owen Brademas promote Kathryn so quickly?
(a) She helped him get a book published.
(b) His workers were quitting.
(c) She thinks she is a prodigy.
(d) She was sleeping with him.
3. What religious festival do Owen, Kathryn and James discuss in Chapter 2?
(a) The Virgin's Feast.
(b) The Yule Log Festival.
(c) The Tomatina.
(d) Whit Monday.
4. What do information do the two men in Owen's Chapter 2 story ask of him?
(a) What his business in Matala is.
(b) Who is father was.
(c) How many languages he speaks.
(d) Where he was born.
5. In Chapter 1, what monument do James Axton and his friends discuss?
(a) The Duomo.
(b) The Park Guelle.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) The Acropolis.
6. What simple fact of commonality gives Owen comfort in Chapter 2?
(a) He understands the democracy of Greece.
(b) He has friends on Kouros.
(c) He shares goals with the remaining workers on the dig.
(d) He is still in Europe.
7. About what does James needle Kathryn at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) His feelings for her.
(b) The importance of the dig.
(c) Her relationship with Owen.
(d) Tap's schooling.
8. Looking at the methodology of the cult in Chapter 7, James realizes that the actual murders are what?
(d) Mercy killings.
9. What information does Kathryn give about the murder victim at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He was mentally challenged.
(b) He has family in the Soviet Union.
(c) He was a recent transplant.
(d) He used to work on the dig.
10. Where does Kathryn accept a job at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) British Columbia.
11. Which of the following is not a city James says he will be visiting in Chapter 2?
12. In Chapter 2, what does Owen admit is the only thing he wants to do with his life?
(a) Sleep all day long.
(b) Teach in a comfortable university.
(c) Pretend to do work in the trenches.
(d) Read ancient stones.
13. What one aspect of Owen's experience are the men of his story interested in?
(a) His wealth.
(b) His American heritage.
(c) His religion.
14. What does Anand confide to James about Owen in Chapter 4?
(a) He has forged his academic credentials.
(b) He has had more contact with the cave people than he lets on.
(c) He is continuing to run the dig to defraud the university of money.
(d) He is sleeping with Kathryn.
15. What country is David Keller going to be air-dropped into in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Rowser give James in Chapter 3?
2. In Chapter 1, what word does Kathryn bet James that Tap knows?
3. What location is Owen visiting when he meets the two strange men in the tomb caves?
4. What city is James in at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 1, what does James say is the only thing he can remember in Greek?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)