|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a named object that Tap and James debate the meaning of in Chapter 1?
(a) A Chesterfield.
(b) An Ingersoll.
(c) A Wellington.
(d) A Mackintosh.
2. What does James wish he could do at the end of the night in Chapter 2?
(a) Follow Kathryn to the bedroom.
(b) Sleep an entire day.
(c) Get another drink with Owen.
(d) Catch a boat to the mainland.
3. Which of following characters does not speak Ob?
4. What does Anand confide to James about Owen in Chapter 4?
(a) He has had more contact with the cave people than he lets on.
(b) He is sleeping with Kathryn.
(c) He is continuing to run the dig to defraud the university of money.
(d) He has forged his academic credentials.
5. According to Owen in Chapter 5, what has America become?
(a) A bully.
(b) A past empire.
(c) A myth.
(d) A god.
6. During their argument in Chapter 5, what does Kathryn call James?
(a) A fascist.
(b) An alcoholic.
(c) A fool.
(d) A womanizer.
7. In Chapter 4, James marvels that he can barely read the Greek writing on what?
(a) A rail map.
(b) His passport stamp.
(c) A gyro stand menu.
(d) A box of oatmeal.
8. What city is James in at the beginning of Chapter 3?
9. Near the end of Chapter 3, David and James discuss unrest in what region?
(a) The Middle East.
(b) The Soviet Bloc of Europe.
(c) Sub-Saharan Africa.
(d) French Indochina.
10. In Chapter 7, where does Owen intend to go when he leaves Greece?
11. What invitation does James extend to Volterra at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A little cash to hold him over.
(b) A ride to the train station.
(c) A weekend in Italy.
(d) A stay in Athens.
12. In Chapter 2, what does Owen admit is the only thing he wants to do with his life?
(a) Sleep all day long.
(b) Pretend to do work in the trenches.
(c) Read ancient stones.
(d) Teach in a comfortable university.
13. In Chapter 5, what has Volterra recently done that has made headlines?
(a) Lost a huge sum of money at Pachinko.
(b) Walked off his own movie set.
(c) Punched an Iranian ambassador.
(d) Slept with a Persian princess.
14. What advice does Rowser give James in Chapter 3?
(a) Invest in Greek government bonds.
(b) Take a safe job in the States.
(c) Stay out of Lebanon.
(d) Get divorced as soon as possible.
15. With whom does Eliades talk throughout most of dinner in Chapter 3?
(a) Lindsay Keller.
(b) The Bordens.
(c) Ann Maitland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been the purpose of Volterra's recent excursions in Chapter 6?
2. Who else is on the bus that Volterra, James, and Del take in Chapter 6?
3. What scares Owen about religion?
4. Why is Kathryn Maitland living on the island of Kouros?
5. What location is Owen visiting when he meets the two strange men in the tomb caves?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)