|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 7, James wonders whether adultery serves what purpose?
(a) Making marriage bearable.
(b) Making travel memorable.
(c) Making oneself seem more important.
(d) Making aging stop.
2. Why does Charles Maitland get angry at James at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) James makes fun of Charles's baldness.
(b) James breaks a lamp.
(c) James leaves early.
(d) James guesses who Ann is sleeping with.
3. What offer does James make to Charles in Chapter 4?
(a) He'll arrange a trip to Karachi for him.
(b) He'll talk to Rowser for him.
(c) He'll talk to Ann for him.
(d) He'll take him out for an evening of drinking.
4. What item does James buy as soon as he arrives in Amman in Chapter 6?
(a) A map.
(b) A bottle of sunscreen.
(c) A copy of the Koran.
(d) A phrasebook.
5. Which of the following is a spook-like practice that Rowser takes in his daily life?
(a) He never sits with his back to a door.
(b) He wears gloves all the time.
(c) He never sleeps in the same hotel room twice.
(d) He travels under assumed names.
6. What simple fact of commonality gives Owen comfort in Chapter 2?
(a) He has friends on Kouros.
(b) He understands the democracy of Greece.
(c) He is still in Europe.
(d) He shares goals with the remaining workers on the dig.
7. In Chapter 7, where does Owen intend to go when he leaves Greece?
8. What does James steal from the fridge at his wife's apartment in Chapter 1?
(a) A beer.
(b) A sandwich.
9. In what part of his apartment is James at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) His kitchen.
(b) His bedroom.
(c) His den.
(d) His balcony.
10. What does James list out in Chapter 1 to annoy Kathryn?
(a) Her faults.
(b) Her affairs.
(c) Her grievances.
(d) Her aspirations.
11. In Chapter 5, what does Volterra talk to Owen about?
(a) The Cold War.
(b) His dig.
(c) The language cult.
(d) His relationship with Kathryn.
12. What information does Kathryn give about the murder victim at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He was mentally challenged.
(b) He used to work on the dig.
(c) He was a recent transplant.
(d) He has family in the Soviet Union.
13. About whom does James dream about in Chapter 6?
14. What city is James in at the beginning of Chapter 3?
15. In Chapter 5, what does James say that Lindsay Keller avoids doing?
(b) Making assuptions about others.
(d) Making plans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters admits to having never been to a famous monument in Chapter 1?
2. What scares Owen about religion?
3. At the end of Chapter 7, what items are the Maitlands stockpiling?
4. Who is Del Nearing?
5. What danger do Tap and James encounter when they go hiking in Chapter 5?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)