|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, where does Owen think the cave people have gone?
(b) The Greek mainland.
2. In Chapter 7, Owen claims to be good at finding what when studying faith?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, James wonders whether adultery serves what purpose?
(a) Making aging stop.
(b) Making marriage bearable.
(c) Making oneself seem more important.
(d) Making travel memorable.
4. What specific problem is Volterra having with his excursions in Chapter 6?
(a) His passport is nearly expired.
(b) Local authories don't like him investigating.
(c) He lost his return ticket to the States.
(d) He has no means of transportation.
5. Near the end of Chapter 3, David and James discuss unrest in what region?
(a) Sub-Saharan Africa.
(b) The Soviet Bloc of Europe.
(c) The Middle East.
(d) French Indochina.
6. What item does James buy as soon as he arrives in Amman in Chapter 6?
(a) A phrasebook.
(b) A map.
(c) A copy of the Koran.
(d) A bottle of sunscreen.
7. What has been the purpose of Volterra's recent excursions in Chapter 6?
(a) Visiting a couple old mistresses.
(b) Investigating the murders.
(c) Visiting Islamic holy sites.
(d) Scouting locations for a film.
8. In Chapter 5, what does James say that Lindsay Keller avoids doing?
(c) Making plans.
(d) Making assuptions about others.
9. Into what country is James arriving at the beginning of Book 2?
10. Which of the following is a spook-like practice that Rowser takes in his daily life?
(a) He wears gloves all the time.
(b) He never sits with his back to a door.
(c) He never sleeps in the same hotel room twice.
(d) He travels under assumed names.
11. What type of church did Owen attend as a child?
12. According to Owen in Chapter 5, what has America become?
(a) A myth.
(b) A past empire.
(c) A god.
(d) A bully.
13. During their argument in Chapter 5, what does Kathryn call James?
(a) A fool.
(b) An alcoholic.
(c) A womanizer.
(d) A fascist.
14. At the end of Chapter 2, why does Owen reason that he won't be able to find his cave-dwellers again?
(a) They have moved on.
(b) They can navigate caves with ease.
(c) They don't want to be found.
(d) He is scared to look for them.
15. In Chapter 7, what does James accuse Owen of doing?
(a) Hating him.
(b) Purposely sabotaging the dig.
(c) Sleeping with Kathryn.
(d) Misleading Volterra.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious festival do Owen, Kathryn and James discuss in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 7, where does Owen intend to go when he leaves Greece?
3. What is the subject of Volterra's breakout documentary?
4. What do the dig's trenches overlap?
5. Which of the following is not a tactic Kathryn used to learn Greek?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)