|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What simple fact of commonality gives Owen comfort in Chapter 2?
(a) He shares goals with the remaining workers on the dig.
(b) He understands the democracy of Greece.
(c) He has friends on Kouros.
(d) He is still in Europe.
2. How many people did Owen Brademas's dig start with?
3. What invitation does James extend to Volterra at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A stay in Athens.
(b) A ride to the train station.
(c) A little cash to hold him over.
(d) A weekend in Italy.
4. What information does Kathryn give about the murder victim at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He used to work on the dig.
(b) He was a recent transplant.
(c) He has family in the Soviet Union.
(d) He was mentally challenged.
5. Which of the following is not a city James says he will be visiting in Chapter 2?
6. What specific problem is Volterra having with his excursions in Chapter 6?
(a) He has no means of transportation.
(b) He lost his return ticket to the States.
(c) Local authories don't like him investigating.
(d) His passport is nearly expired.
7. What is Anand's profession?
8. What European city does James Axton have an apartment in?
(b) West Berlin.
9. Looking at the methodology of the cult in Chapter 7, James realizes that the actual murders are what?
(b) Mercy killings.
10. In Chapter 4, where is Kathryn thinking of moving to with Tap?
(a) New Delhi.
11. According to Owen in Chapter 5, what has America become?
(a) A bully.
(b) A myth.
(c) A past empire.
(d) A god.
12. During their argument in Chapter 5, what does Kathryn call James?
(a) A womanizer.
(b) An alcoholic.
(c) A fascist.
(d) A fool.
13. In Chapter 4, James marvels that he can barely read the Greek writing on what?
(a) A rail map.
(b) A gyro stand menu.
(c) His passport stamp.
(d) A box of oatmeal.
14. What favorite activity has Charles Maitland given up on in Chapter 4?
(b) Tending his flower garden.
(c) Rebuilding up his classic car.
(d) Flying his plane.
15. Near the end of Chapter 3, David and James discuss unrest in what region?
(a) The Soviet Bloc of Europe.
(b) French Indochina.
(c) Sub-Saharan Africa.
(d) The Middle East.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kathryn accept a job at the end of Chapter 5?
2. What event precipitated the separation of the Axtons?
3. What danger do Tap and James encounter when they go hiking in Chapter 5?
4. Which of the following is not a tactic Kathryn used to learn Greek?
5. About what does James needle Kathryn at the beginning of Chapter 4?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)