|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to James in Chapter 1, what does Kathryn think life should be?
(a) A struggle.
(b) A vacation.
(c) A dream.
(d) An education.
2. How many items are on the list James reads to Kathryn at the end of Chapter 1?
3. Into what country is James arriving at the beginning of Book 2?
4. During their argument in Chapter 5, what does Kathryn call James?
(a) An alcoholic.
(b) A fool.
(c) A fascist.
(d) A womanizer.
5. What city is James in at the beginning of Chapter 3?
6. Which of the following is not a named object that Tap and James debate the meaning of in Chapter 1?
(a) An Ingersoll.
(b) A Wellington.
(c) A Chesterfield.
(d) A Mackintosh.
7. Looking at the methodology of the cult in Chapter 7, James realizes that the actual murders are what?
(c) Mercy killings.
8. In Chapter 4, James marvels that he can barely read the Greek writing on what?
(a) A gyro stand menu.
(b) A box of oatmeal.
(c) His passport stamp.
(d) A rail map.
9. Where does Volterra need to travel to meet a possible cult member in Chapter 6?
10. What is the subject of Volterra's breakout documentary?
(a) The last days of his dying father.
(b) His affair with an again Manhattanite.
(c) A wildfire in the Ardens.
(d) The savings-and-load scandal
11. At the end of Chapter 2, why does Owen reason that he won't be able to find his cave-dwellers again?
(a) They have moved on.
(b) They don't want to be found.
(c) They can navigate caves with ease.
(d) He is scared to look for them.
12. Which of the following is not a city James says he will be visiting in Chapter 2?
13. What does James steal from the fridge at his wife's apartment in Chapter 1?
(c) A beer.
(d) A sandwich.
14. In Chapter 2, what does Owen admit is the only thing he wants to do with his life?
(a) Pretend to do work in the trenches.
(b) Read ancient stones.
(c) Teach in a comfortable university.
(d) Sleep all day long.
15. Who is Mrs. Helen?
(a) Rowser's wife.
(b) Charles's employer.
(c) James's secretary.
(d) Ann's housekeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, where is Kathryn thinking of moving to with Tap?
2. After James drops Anand and Rajiv off in Chapter 4, what does Tap request they do?
3. In Chapter 4, where does Owen think the cave people have gone?
4. What one aspect of Owen's experience are the men of his story interested in?
5. What invitation does James extend to Volterra at the end of Chapter 6?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)