|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why does Volterra think Del should be more awed by their surroundings?
(a) She has always wanted to visit the Holy Land.
(b) She is high.
(c) She has never been outside of the States.
(d) She is a Jew.
2. Why is James concerned about Tap in Chapter 1?
(a) He wants Tap to return to the United States.
(b) He is concerned Tap is too attached to Owen.
(c) He does not know where he's attending school in September.
(d) He is concerned about Tap's refusal to learn Greek.
3. What offer does James make to Charles in Chapter 4?
(a) He'll arrange a trip to Karachi for him.
(b) He'll talk to Rowser for him.
(c) He'll take him out for an evening of drinking.
(d) He'll talk to Ann for him.
4. Which of the following is not a named object that Tap and James debate the meaning of in Chapter 1?
(a) An Ingersoll.
(b) A Mackintosh.
(c) A Chesterfield.
(d) A Wellington.
5. How many items are on the list James reads to Kathryn at the end of Chapter 1?
6. Where was James living when Rowser first offered him a job?
(a) New York.
7. What does Anand confide to James about Owen in Chapter 4?
(a) He has had more contact with the cave people than he lets on.
(b) He has forged his academic credentials.
(c) He is sleeping with Kathryn.
(d) He is continuing to run the dig to defraud the university of money.
8. In Chapter 1, what does James say is the only thing he can remember in Greek?
9. What business does Volterra want to run when his film career ends?
(a) A 7-11.
(b) A dry cleaners.
(c) A primary school.
(d) An advertising firm.
10. According to James at the beginning of Chapter 2, what does Owen see that others do not?
(c) The divine.
11. At the end of Chapter 1, how does James think Kathryn's attitude toward him is changing?
(a) She is becoming more remote.
(b) She is becoming more affectionate.
(c) She is becoming more judgmental.
(d) She is becoming more pitying.
12. What one aspect of Owen's experience are the men of his story interested in?
(b) His American heritage.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His religion.
13. Why is Kathryn Maitland living on the island of Kouros?
(a) She is there writing her novel.
(b) Tap is attending a renowned prep school there.
(c) She is workikng an archeological dig there.
(d) He parents live there.
14. What do information do the two men in Owen's Chapter 2 story ask of him?
(a) How many languages he speaks.
(b) Who is father was.
(c) Where he was born.
(d) What his business in Matala is.
15. In Istanbul, James marvels that his friends reduce every culture to what?
(a) A food staple.
(b) A hotel room.
(c) An anecdote.
(d) A cultural stereotype.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is David Keller going to be air-dropped into in Chapter 5?
2. Near the end of Chapter 3, David and James discuss unrest in what region?
3. Where does Volterra need to travel to meet a possible cult member in Chapter 6?
4. What European city does James Axton have an apartment in?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 5, James says that people love to give Kathryn what?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)