|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event precipitated the separation of the Axtons?
(a) James slept with one of Kathryn's friends.
(b) James insulted Kathryn's writing.
(c) Kathryn developed a drinking problem.
(d) Kathryn had a prolonged affair with Owen.
2. What do the dig's trenches overlap?
(a) A playground.
(b) A pear orchard.
(c) A cemetery.
(d) An olive grove.
3. About what does James needle Kathryn at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The importance of the dig.
(b) Her relationship with Owen.
(c) Tap's schooling.
(d) His feelings for her.
4. What attribute of the cult do Owen and James realize in Chapter 7?
(a) It only travels by night.
(b) It is comprised of different cells.
(c) It is comprised only of men.
(d) It only kills during the solstice.
5. Into what country is James arriving at the beginning of Book 2?
6. In Chapter 5, what does Volterra talk to Owen about?
(a) His relationship with Kathryn.
(b) The Cold War.
(c) The language cult.
(d) His dig.
7. Who else is on the bus that Volterra, James, and Del take in Chapter 6?
(a) Baptist missionaries.
(b) Japanese students.
(c) Muslim pilgrims.
(d) Israeli military.
8. What do information do the two men in Owen's Chapter 2 story ask of him?
(a) What his business in Matala is.
(b) Where he was born.
(c) Who is father was.
(d) How many languages he speaks.
9. In Chapter 1, what word does Kathryn bet James that Tap knows?
10. What country is David Keller going to be air-dropped into in Chapter 5?
11. In Chapter 3, what trip does James discuss with Rowser?
12. How does Kathryn describe her and James' post-separation relationship in Chapter 2?
13. What scares Owen about religion?
(a) The wars it engenders.
(b) Masses of people with the same emotion.
(c) The non-governmental hierarchy.
(d) The iconography.
14. In Chapter 2, James says that Kathryn once attacked him with what household item?
(a) A potato peeler.
(b) A meat tenderizer.
(c) A desk lamp.
(d) A letter opener.
15. What European city does James Axton have an apartment in?
(c) West Berlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does James buy as soon as he arrives in Amman in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 1, what does James say is the only thing he can remember in Greek?
3. In Chapter 7, Owen claims to be good at finding what when studying faith?
4. What location is Owen visiting when he meets the two strange men in the tomb caves?
5. About whom does James dream about in Chapter 6?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)