|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Owen admit is the only thing he wants to do with his life?
(a) Read ancient stones.
(b) Sleep all day long.
(c) Teach in a comfortable university.
(d) Pretend to do work in the trenches.
2. According to James at the beginning of Chapter 2, what does Owen see that others do not?
(d) The divine.
3. In Chapter 5, what has Volterra recently done that has made headlines?
(a) Lost a huge sum of money at Pachinko.
(b) Punched an Iranian ambassador.
(c) Walked off his own movie set.
(d) Slept with a Persian princess.
4. Where was James living when Rowser first offered him a job?
(d) New York.
5. At dinner in Chapter 3, the expatriates decide that traveling is like collecting what?
(a) Old sand.
(b) Faded postcards.
(c) Dead memories.
(d) New homes.
6. About what does James needle Kathryn at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) His feelings for her.
(b) The importance of the dig.
(c) Her relationship with Owen.
(d) Tap's schooling.
7. How do Tap, Kathryn and James travel to the dig in Chapter 2?
(a) They take a bus.
(b) They take the train.
(c) They walk.
(d) They take a cab.
8. What scares Owen about religion?
(a) The wars it engenders.
(b) The iconography.
(c) Masses of people with the same emotion.
(d) The non-governmental hierarchy.
9. Which of the following is not a city James says he will be visiting in Chapter 2?
10. At the end of Chapter 1, how does James think Kathryn's attitude toward him is changing?
(a) She is becoming more judgmental.
(b) She is becoming more pitying.
(c) She is becoming more remote.
(d) She is becoming more affectionate.
11. What location is Owen visiting when he meets the two strange men in the tomb caves?
(a) An arena.
(b) A monastery.
(c) A citadel.
(d) An observatory.
12. What information does Kathryn give about the murder victim at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) He used to work on the dig.
(b) He was a recent transplant.
(c) He was mentally challenged.
(d) He has family in the Soviet Union.
13. In Chapter 7, where does Owen intend to go when he leaves Greece?
14. In Chapter 6, Vosdanik explains that to the cult of lonely men, words are the vessels of what?
15. What do information do the two men in Owen's Chapter 2 story ask of him?
(a) Who is father was.
(b) How many languages he speaks.
(c) Where he was born.
(d) What his business in Matala is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is David Keller going to be air-dropped into in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 5, where is Anand planning to go soon?
3. What is Anand's profession?
4. What favorite activity has Charles Maitland given up on in Chapter 4?
5. What specific problem is Volterra having with his excursions in Chapter 6?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)