|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did James decline to work with Northeast Group initially?
(a) He did not want to leave Kathryn.
(b) He dislikes air travel.
(c) He did not trust Rowser.
(d) He felt he was over-qualified.
2. What do information do the two men in Owen's Chapter 2 story ask of him?
(a) Where he was born.
(b) What his business in Matala is.
(c) How many languages he speaks.
(d) Who is father was.
3. According to James at the beginning of Chapter 2, what does Owen see that others do not?
(d) The divine.
4. Who joins James and Ann at lunch at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Ann's sister.
(b) Charles's aunt.
(c) James's nephew.
(d) Ann's son.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 5, James says that people love to give Kathryn what?
(a) Greeting cards.
(b) Personal secrets.
(d) Their phone numbers.
6. In Chapter 5, what does Volterra talk to Owen about?
(a) His dig.
(b) His relationship with Kathryn.
(c) The language cult.
(d) The Cold War.
7. In Chapter 4, where does Owen think the cave people have gone?
(b) The Greek mainland.
8. What advice does Rowser give James in Chapter 3?
(a) Stay out of Lebanon.
(b) Get divorced as soon as possible.
(c) Take a safe job in the States.
(d) Invest in Greek government bonds.
9. In Chapter 5, where is Anand planning to go soon?
(a) The United States.
10. About what does James needle Kathryn at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Her relationship with Owen.
(b) Tap's schooling.
(c) His feelings for her.
(d) The importance of the dig.
11. Who is the inspiration for Tap's novel?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Owen Brademas.
(c) Oedipus Rex.
(d) James Axton.
12. In Chapter 1, where does James tell Kathryn he has been doing most of his work?
(a) The Soviet Union.
13. What danger do Tap and James encounter when they go hiking in Chapter 5?
(a) A crazy itinerant.
(d) A thunderstorm.
14. What favorite activity has Charles Maitland given up on in Chapter 4?
(a) Flying his plane.
(b) Rebuilding up his classic car.
(c) Tending his flower garden.
15. Looking at the methodology of the cult in Chapter 7, James realizes that the actual murders are what?
(a) Mercy killings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Volterra likely in, in Chapter 5?
2. What unusual thing do the Keller's do late at night in Chapter 3?
3. Where was James living when Rowser first offered him a job?
4. Why is James concerned about Tap in Chapter 1?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, James wonders whether adultery serves what purpose?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)