|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The majority of the dead Native Americans and many of the colonials during the war died as the result of what?
2. Where was Mary Rowlandson born?
3. Historians know little of what happened to King Philip's son except that he was sold into slavery and probably shipped where?
4. What tribe was Mary Rowlandson kidnapped by?
5. Over how many Native Americans had died during King Philip's War?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Indian slave trade described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
2. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
3. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
4. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
5. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
6. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
7. How does the author describe the symbolism of Metamora in regard to American identity in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
8. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
9. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
10. What did critics say of the play Metamora? Who supported the play as propaganda for Indian Removal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of identity in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How does the author introduce this theme in the Prologue and what does she intend to prove in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Narragansetts' attack on Providence and the reasons given for the attack. Why did Roger Williams feel betrayed by the attack?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different theories of John Sassamon's murder. Who had the greatest motivation to murder Sassamon? Why?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)