|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Several hundred native captives were tried and executed or enslaved and sold where?
2. What was the name of Metacomet's wife?
3. On what date was Mary Rowlandson ransomed?
4. The Mohawk people are the most easterly tribe of what confederation?
5. Who was a Christian missionary, reformer, activist for the rights of American Indians, and a leading opponent of the Indian removal policy of the United States government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
2. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
3. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
4. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
5. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
6. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
7. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
8. How does the author describe the symbolism of Metamora in regard to American identity in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
9. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
10. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nathaniel Saltonstall and his "True but Brief Account of our Losses." When and where was Nathaniel Saltonstall born? What was his involvement in the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the murder of John Sassamon and the subsequent trial of Mattashunannamo, Tobias, and Wampapaquan. How did this event contribute to the beginning of King Philip's War?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the perception of King Philip's War from the English colonists who were not immediately involved in the conflict. How did colonists learn of the battles and events?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)