|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date was Mary Rowlandson ransomed?
2. Edwin Forrest made his first stage appearance on November 27, 1820, at what theater?
3. Where was Metamora; or, The Last of the Wampanoags originally performed?
4. For how much money was Mary Rowlandson ransomed?
5. Several hundred native captives were tried and executed or enslaved and sold where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
3. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
4. What did critics say of the play Metamora? Who supported the play as propaganda for Indian Removal?
5. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
6. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
8. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
9. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
10. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Wampanoags, Narragansetts, Nipmuchs, Pocomtucks, Abenakis, Mohegan, Pequot, Mohawk and Christian Indians. What were the relationships between these tribes like prior to the colonization of America?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different theories of John Sassamon's murder. Who had the greatest motivation to murder Sassamon? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and work of John Eliot and the childhood of John Sassamon. How did these men meet and come to know one another?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)