|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children of Mary Rowlandson's were among the hostages taken by Native Americans?
2. When was Edwin Forrest born?
3. What was the name of King Philip's older brother, known by the English as King Alexander?
4. What was from 1351 a penalty in England for men convicted of high treason, although the ritual was first recorded during the reigns of King Henry III and his successor, Edward I?
5. On what date was Mary Rowlandson kidnapped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
2. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
3. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
4. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
5. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
6. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
7. How does the author describe cultural revivals among the Indians in Epilogue, The Rock?
8. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
9. How does the author describe the aftermath of the war for the Indians in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan? What was the cause of the majority of deaths in the war?
10. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life and works of Jill Lepore. What inspired Lepore to write The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity? How has the book been received?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nathaniel Saltonstall and his "True but Brief Account of our Losses." When and where was Nathaniel Saltonstall born? What was his involvement in the war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different theories of John Sassamon's murder. Who had the greatest motivation to murder Sassamon? Why?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)