|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Bartholomew de Las Casas born?
2. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay translates from Cherokee to say what in English?
3. To whom did Captain Church give a hand of the deceased King Philip?
4. What was the name of King Philip's older brother, known by the English as King Alexander?
5. Who was held captive by the Narragansetts, though he was hanged and quartered for treason?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
2. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
3. How is the aftermath of the war described amongst the colonists in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
4. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
5. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
6. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
7. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
8. How is the Indian slave trade described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
9. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
10. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Just War Theory and Natural Law and the influence of these concepts on the perceptions of the English colonists. Why did the colonists believe the war was just?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the use of metaphor and symbolism in the accounts of King Philip's War. How can the mindset of the Puritans be seen through these metaphors?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Narragansetts' attack on Providence and the reasons given for the attack. Why did Roger Williams feel betrayed by the attack?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)