|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Mary Rowlandson born?
2. Jill Lepore earned a M.A. in history from what university?
3. Jill Lepore is a professor of American history at what university?
4. Several hundred native captives were tried and executed or enslaved and sold where?
5. What refers to the name of a geographical feature in an official or well-established language occurring in that area where the feature is located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. What American actor gained fame for his portrayal of Metacom in Metamora? How is he described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
3. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
4. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
5. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
6. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
7. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
8. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
9. How was Edwin Forrest's portrayal of Metamora received in England? What does the author write of this in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
10. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of literacy in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How was literacy used as a tool for the powerful throughout history?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social culture of the Algonquians and their methods of communication during the war. How were military orders communicated and carried out?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of "powwaws" and ministers in King Philip's War. How did the Puritans and the Native Americans view the religious aspects of the war?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)