|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of King Philip's father?
2. The Mohawk people are the most easterly tribe of what confederation?
3. Jill Lepore's book, New York Burning: Liberty, Slavery and Conspiracy in Eighteenth-Century Manhattan, was a finalist for what award?
4. What was Andrew Jackson nicknamed because of his toughness and aggressive personality?
5. Where was Edwin Forrest born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe cultural revivals among the Indians in Epilogue, The Rock?
2. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
3. What book did Washington Irving write about King Philip's War? How is it described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
4. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
5. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
6. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. How was Edwin Forrest's portrayal of Metamora received in England? What does the author write of this in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
8. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
9. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
10. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the English colonial identity and the correlation between that identity and land. How does the author relate these concepts metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of literacy in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How was literacy used as a tool for the powerful throughout history?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Just War Theory and Natural Law and the influence of these concepts on the perceptions of the English colonists. Why did the colonists believe the war was just?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)