|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date was Mary Rowlandson kidnapped?
2. Who wrote the play Metamora; or, The Last of the Wampanoags?
3. The Five Civilized Tribes were the five Native American nations: the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, and what?
4. Mary Rowlandson wrote from a fully Christian perspective and believed that being held captive was a special brand of affliction that served to increase what?
5. When did Andrew Jackson die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the symbolism of Metamora in regard to American identity in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
2. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
3. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
4. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
5. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
6. What book did Washington Irving write about King Philip's War? How is it described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
7. What American actor gained fame for his portrayal of Metacom in Metamora? How is he described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
8. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
9. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
10. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the perception of King Philip's War from the English colonists who were not immediately involved in the conflict. How did colonists learn of the battles and events?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social culture of the Algonquians and their methods of communication during the war. How were military orders communicated and carried out?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Wampanoags, Narragansetts, Nipmuchs, Pocomtucks, Abenakis, Mohegan, Pequot, Mohawk and Christian Indians. What were the relationships between these tribes like prior to the colonization of America?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)