|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. King Philip was killed on what date?
2. Several hundred native captives were tried and executed or enslaved and sold where?
3. When did Andrew Jackson die?
4. Jill Lepore earned a B.A. in English at what university?
5. King Philip was tracked down by colony-allied Native Americans led by Captain Benjamin Church and who of the Plymouth Colony militia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
2. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
3. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
4. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
5. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
6. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
7. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
8. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
9. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
10. How is the Indian slave trade described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social culture of the Algonquians and their methods of communication during the war. How were military orders communicated and carried out?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the use of metaphor and symbolism in the accounts of King Philip's War. How can the mindset of the Puritans be seen through these metaphors?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nathaniel Saltonstall and his "True but Brief Account of our Losses." When and where was Nathaniel Saltonstall born? What was his involvement in the war?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)