|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jill Lepore is a contributing writer for what publication?
2. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay was etched before what year, according to the author in the Epilogue?
3. Where were Metacomet's wife and son sent after they had been captured?
4. Mary Rowlandson wrote from a fully Christian perspective and believed that being held captive was a special brand of affliction that served to increase what?
5. What book did Mary Rowlandson write about her capture by Native Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
3. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
4. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
5. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
6. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
7. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
8. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
9. How does the author describe the aftermath of the war for the Indians in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan? What was the cause of the majority of deaths in the war?
10. What did critics say of the play Metamora? Who supported the play as propaganda for Indian Removal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life and works of Jill Lepore. What inspired Lepore to write The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity? How has the book been received?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the English colonial identity and the correlation between that identity and land. How does the author relate these concepts metaphorically?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and work of John Eliot and the childhood of John Sassamon. How did these men meet and come to know one another?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)