|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jill Lepore is a contributing writer for what publication?
2. Jill Lepore's book, New York Burning: Liberty, Slavery and Conspiracy in Eighteenth-Century Manhattan, was a finalist for what award?
3. Who originated the Narragansett cultural revival?
4. The Mohawk people are the most easterly tribe of what confederation?
5. When was the New World discovered by Christopher Columbus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
2. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
3. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
4. How does the author describe the aftermath of the war for the Indians in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan? What was the cause of the majority of deaths in the war?
5. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
6. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
8. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
9. How is the Indian slave trade described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
10. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the English colonial identity and the correlation between that identity and land. How does the author relate these concepts metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the use of metaphor and symbolism in the accounts of King Philip's War. How can the mindset of the Puritans be seen through these metaphors?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the accounts of the war written by Increase Mather and William Hubbard. How did these accounts differ?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)