|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over how many Native Americans had died during King Philip's War?
2. When was Mary Rowlandson born?
3. Cambridge University Press was granted letters patent by Henry VIII in what year?
4. When did Benjamin Church die?
5. On what date was Metacomet's wife captured by enemy forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
3. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
4. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
5. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
6. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
7. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
8. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
9. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
10. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of identity in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How does the author introduce this theme in the Prologue and what does she intend to prove in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and work of Hugo Grotius. What were major influences in Grotius's theories and philosophies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of literacy in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How was literacy used as a tool for the powerful throughout history?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)