|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was William Charles Macready born?
2. When did Mary Rowlandson die?
3. When was William Charles Macready born?
4. Jill Lepore's book, New York Burning: Liberty, Slavery and Conspiracy in Eighteenth-Century Manhattan, was a finalist for what award?
5. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay was etched before what year, according to the author in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
2. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
3. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
4. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
5. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
6. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
7. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
8. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
9. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
10. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the perception of King Philip's War from the English colonists who were not immediately involved in the conflict. How did colonists learn of the battles and events?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social culture of the Algonquians and their methods of communication during the war. How were military orders communicated and carried out?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of literacy in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How was literacy used as a tool for the powerful throughout history?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)