|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jill Lepore is a contributing writer for what publication?
2. Bartholomew de Las Casas thought that if Indians souls could be redeemed, then they had worth and that therefore they should not be what?
3. On what date was Metacomet's wife captured by enemy forces?
4. Jill Lepore earned a Ph.D. in American Studies from what university?
5. Who was a Christian missionary, reformer, activist for the rights of American Indians, and a leading opponent of the Indian removal policy of the United States government?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
3. How is the aftermath of the war described amongst the colonists in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
4. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
5. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
6. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
7. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
8. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
9. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
10. How does the author describe the aftermath of the war for the Indians in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan? What was the cause of the majority of deaths in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different theories of John Sassamon's murder. Who had the greatest motivation to murder Sassamon? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social culture of the Algonquians and their methods of communication during the war. How were military orders communicated and carried out?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of literacy in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How was literacy used as a tool for the powerful throughout history?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)