|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Metacomet's son when he was kidnapped?
2. Over how many colonists died during King Philip's War?
3. What book did Jill Lepore publish in 2010?
4. Jill Lepore is a contributing writer for what publication?
5. How many weeks of captivity did Mary Rowlandson experience before being released on ransom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
2. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
3. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
4. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
5. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
6. How is the aftermath of the war described amongst the colonists in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
8. How is the Indian slave trade described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
9. How does the author describe the symbolism of Metamora in regard to American identity in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
10. How does the author describe the aftermath of the war for the Indians in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan? What was the cause of the majority of deaths in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of identity in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How does the author introduce this theme in the Prologue and what does she intend to prove in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss John Pynchon and the burning of Springfield. When was Springfield attacked and how many were injured and killed in the conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Just War Theory and Natural Law and the influence of these concepts on the perceptions of the English colonists. Why did the colonists believe the war was just?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)