|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Captain Church give a hand of the deceased King Philip?
2. Jill Lepore earned a M.A. in history from what university?
3. When was The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity published?
4. Who originated the Narragansett cultural revival?
5. What was the name of the Indian who shot King Philip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
2. What did critics say of the play Metamora? Who supported the play as propaganda for Indian Removal?
3. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
4. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
5. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
6. How does the author describe the symbolism of Metamora in regard to American identity in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
7. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
8. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
9. How does the author describe cultural revivals among the Indians in Epilogue, The Rock?
10. What American actor gained fame for his portrayal of Metacom in Metamora? How is he described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the murder of John Sassamon and the subsequent trial of Mattashunannamo, Tobias, and Wampapaquan. How did this event contribute to the beginning of King Philip's War?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and work of John Eliot and the childhood of John Sassamon. How did these men meet and come to know one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and works of Jill Lepore. What inspired Lepore to write The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity? How has the book been received?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)