|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Bartholomew de Las Casas born?
2. When was the Indian Removal Act signed into law?
3. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay translates from Cherokee to say what in English?
4. When was a rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay discovered with Cherokee writing on it, according to the author in the Epilogue?
5. In what year did the American Revolutionary War begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
2. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
3. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
4. How does the author describe the symbolism of Metamora in regard to American identity in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
5. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
6. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. How is the aftermath of the war described amongst the colonists in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
8. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
9. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
10. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social culture of the Algonquians and their methods of communication during the war. How were military orders communicated and carried out?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Great Swamp Battle and the attack on Medfield, Massachusetts. How many civilians and soldiers were lost in the battles?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Wampanoags, Narragansetts, Nipmuchs, Pocomtucks, Abenakis, Mohegan, Pequot, Mohawk and Christian Indians. What were the relationships between these tribes like prior to the colonization of America?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)