|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Captain Church give a hand of the deceased King Philip?
2. Jill Lepore earned a Ph.D. in American Studies from what university?
3. Who wrote the play Metamora; or, The Last of the Wampanoags?
4. Over how many Native Americans had died during King Philip's War?
5. When was a rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay discovered with Cherokee writing on it, according to the author in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
3. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
4. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
5. What book did Washington Irving write about King Philip's War? How is it described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
6. How was Edwin Forrest's portrayal of Metamora received in England? What does the author write of this in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
7. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
8. How does the author describe the symbolism of Metamora in regard to American identity in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
9. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
10. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the accounts of the war written by Increase Mather and William Hubbard. How did these accounts differ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Just War Theory and Natural Law and the influence of these concepts on the perceptions of the English colonists. Why did the colonists believe the war was just?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the use of metaphor and symbolism in the accounts of King Philip's War. How can the mindset of the Puritans be seen through these metaphors?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)