|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what event did King Philip's head make an appearance in Plymouth following the war?
2. What book did Jill Lepore publish in 2002?
3. When was the New World discovered by Christopher Columbus?
4. What refers to the name of a geographical feature in an official or well-established language occurring in that area where the feature is located?
5. When was Andrew Jackson born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Edwin Forrest's portrayal of Metamora received in England? What does the author write of this in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
2. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
3. How does the author describe the aftermath of the war for the Indians in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan? What was the cause of the majority of deaths in the war?
4. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
5. How is the aftermath of the war described amongst the colonists in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
6. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
8. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
9. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
10. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social culture of the Algonquians and their methods of communication during the war. How were military orders communicated and carried out?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Wampanoags, Narragansetts, Nipmuchs, Pocomtucks, Abenakis, Mohegan, Pequot, Mohawk and Christian Indians. What were the relationships between these tribes like prior to the colonization of America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and work of Hugo Grotius. What were major influences in Grotius's theories and philosophies?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)