|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a Native American tribe formerly inhabiting western Massachusetts, especially around the confluence of the Deerfield and Connecticut Rivers in Franklin County?
2. According to the author, many colonists found it hard to write about the war, such as what individual who felt totally devastated by his experience of the burning of Springfield?
3. According to the author, accounts of King Philip's War that were apocalyptic, with some being sermons, were mostly printed where?
4. When was Nathaniel Saltonstall born?
5. What university did John Eliot attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
2. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
3. Where were most of the accounts of the war published, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed? How are the accounts described?
4. What does the author remark regarding suffering and writing about the war in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
5. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
6. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
7. How is Natural Law and Just War theory described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
8. In what regard is John Pynchon discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
9. Who was accused of the murder of John Sassamon? How does the author describe Metacom's reaction in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
10. How does the author describe the evidence surrounding John Sassamon's death in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different theories of John Sassamon's murder. Who had the greatest motivation to murder Sassamon? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and work of Hugo Grotius. What were major influences in Grotius's theories and philosophies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and works of Jill Lepore. What inspired Lepore to write The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity? How has the book been received?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)