|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The colonists considered news distributed by whom to be the least reliable, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
2. Medfield, Massachusetts, was first settled in what year?
3. Who wrote Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians?
4. When the Puritans came to America, the Algonquians were thought to be what?
5. According to the author, many colonists found it hard to write about the war, such as what individual who felt totally devastated by his experience of the burning of Springfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was accused of the murder of John Sassamon? How does the author describe Metacom's reaction in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
2. How does the author describe the motivations of the colonists and the Native Americans in the war in the Prologue?
3. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
4. How does the author describe the portrayal of Native Americans among the colonists in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
5. How did the loss of property impact the Puritans, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
6. How is the early life of John Sassamon described in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
7. What reasons did the Narragansetts give for their attack on Providence, as described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
8. What theories does the author describe for the murder of John Sassamon in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
9. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
10. How does the author relate King Philip's War to a holy war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the perception of King Philip's War from the English colonists who were not immediately involved in the conflict. How did colonists learn of the battles and events?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Puritan colonists in America. When were the colonies formed and what relationship did the English have with the Native Americans upon arriving?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the murder of John Sassamon and the subsequent trial of Mattashunannamo, Tobias, and Wampapaquan. How did this event contribute to the beginning of King Philip's War?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)