|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Metacomet born?
2. The first English settlers arrived in what year, when Sassamon's parents may have welcomed them?
3. According to the author, accounts of King Philip's War that were apocalyptic, with some being sermons, were mostly printed where?
4. Passaconaway was a powerful medicine man and sachem of what tribe?
5. The colonists lost about how many men in the Great Swamp Fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
2. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
3. How does the author describe the competition between Increase Mather and William Hubbard in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
4. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
5. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
6. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. How is the Indian slave trade described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
8. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
9. How is the aftermath of the war described amongst the colonists in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
10. How does the author describe the symbolism of Metamora in regard to American identity in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of literacy in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How was literacy used as a tool for the powerful throughout history?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the use of metaphor and symbolism in the accounts of King Philip's War. How can the mindset of the Puritans be seen through these metaphors?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different theories of John Sassamon's murder. Who had the greatest motivation to murder Sassamon? Why?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)