|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Increase Mather born?
2. When was Hugo Grotius born?
3. The Eighty Years' War took place when?
4. What word means "shaman" in the language of the Narragansett?
5. According to the author, the colonists thought the powwaws received their orders from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the portrayal of Native Americans among the colonists in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
2. Who was accused of the murder of John Sassamon? How does the author describe Metacom's reaction in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
3. How was John Sassamon involved in King Philip's War, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
4. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
5. What did the author write of the changing Puritan population and identity in the 1630s and 1640s in the Prologue?
6. How is Natural Law and Just War theory described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
7. In what regard is John Pynchon discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
8. What does the author say regarding literacy as a tool in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
9. How does the author describe the evidence surrounding John Sassamon's death in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
10. How is the early life of John Sassamon described in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of identity in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How does the author introduce this theme in the Prologue and what does she intend to prove in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Just War Theory and Natural Law and the influence of these concepts on the perceptions of the English colonists. Why did the colonists believe the war was just?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Wampanoags, Narragansetts, Nipmuchs, Pocomtucks, Abenakis, Mohegan, Pequot, Mohawk and Christian Indians. What were the relationships between these tribes like prior to the colonization of America?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)