|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been described as a law whose content is set by nature and is thus universal?
2. What name refers to the mostly Puritan and Pilgrim immigrants from Great Britain who settled New England starting around 1630?
3. When was the book A Relation of the Troubles which Have Hapned in New-England by Reason of the Indians There from the Year 1614 to the Year 1675 published?
4. It is very likely that John Sassamon was adopted or indentured to the family of whom?
5. A prodigious learner, Hugo Grotius entered the University of Leiden when he was how old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theories does the author describe for the murder of John Sassamon in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
2. How does the author describe the competition between Increase Mather and William Hubbard in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
3. What did the colonists believe of the Indian powwaws? How did this shape their view of the war, as discussed in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
4. How was John Sassamon involved in King Philip's War, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
5. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
6. What does the author remark regarding suffering and writing about the war in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
7. How does the author describe the Puritans' impression of America and Native Americans upon arriving in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
8. How is the early life of John Sassamon described in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
9. What does the author say regarding literacy as a tool in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
10. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different theories of John Sassamon's murder. Who had the greatest motivation to murder Sassamon? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of "powwaws" and ministers in King Philip's War. How did the Puritans and the Native Americans view the religious aspects of the war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Great Swamp Battle and the attack on Medfield, Massachusetts. How many civilians and soldiers were lost in the battles?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)