|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were hideous to the colonists and were assigned to the Indians, according to the author?
2. When was John Eliot born?
3. When was Increase Mather born?
4. What does the author say represented filth and chaos to the Puritans in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
5. John Sassamon's family died during the smallpox epidemic of what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the early life of John Sassamon described in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
2. What did the colonists believe of the Indian powwaws? How did this shape their view of the war, as discussed in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
3. What was problematic for the Puritans in their plight to maintain a civil identity, as discussed in the Prologue?
4. What does the author remark regarding suffering and writing about the war in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
5. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
6. How does the author describe the evidence surrounding John Sassamon's death in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
7. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
8. What reasons did the Narragansetts give for their attack on Providence, as described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
9. In what regard is John Pynchon discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
10. How does the author describe the portrayal of Native Americans among the colonists in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the English colonial identity and the correlation between that identity and land. How does the author relate these concepts metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the murder of John Sassamon and the subsequent trial of Mattashunannamo, Tobias, and Wampapaquan. How did this event contribute to the beginning of King Philip's War?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Puritan colonists in America. When were the colonies formed and what relationship did the English have with the Native Americans upon arriving?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)