|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, accounts of King Philip's War that were apocalyptic, with some being sermons, were mostly printed where?
2. When did Nathaniel Saltonstall die?
3. What was a Native American tribe formerly inhabiting western Massachusetts, especially around the confluence of the Deerfield and Connecticut Rivers in Franklin County?
4. Who is credited with the founding of Medfield, Massachusetts?
5. According to the author in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?, due to their great losses, many New England colonists thought God was punishing them for their failure to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the early life of John Sassamon described in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
2. How does the author describe the motivations of the colonists and the Native Americans in the war in the Prologue?
3. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
4. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
5. How does the author relate King Philip's War to a holy war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
6. In what regard is John Pynchon discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
7. How did the loss of property impact the Puritans, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
8. How does the author describe the portrayal of Native Americans among the colonists in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
9. What was problematic for the Puritans in their plight to maintain a civil identity, as discussed in the Prologue?
10. How does the author describe the Puritans' impression of America and Native Americans upon arriving in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Great Swamp Battle and the attack on Medfield, Massachusetts. How many civilians and soldiers were lost in the battles?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and work of Hugo Grotius. What were major influences in Grotius's theories and philosophies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nathaniel Saltonstall and his "True but Brief Account of our Losses." When and where was Nathaniel Saltonstall born? What was his involvement in the war?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)