|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians?
2. Increase Mather was a Puritan minister who was involved with the administration of what college?
3. When was Increase Mather born?
4. The colonists lost about how many men in the Great Swamp Fight?
5. When was A Brief History of the War with the Indians in New-England published?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
2. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
3. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
4. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
5. How was Edwin Forrest's portrayal of Metamora received in England? What does the author write of this in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
6. How does the author describe the evidence surrounding John Sassamon's death in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
7. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
8. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
9. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
10. What book did Washington Irving write about King Philip's War? How is it described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of "powwaws" and ministers in King Philip's War. How did the Puritans and the Native Americans view the religious aspects of the war?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Great Swamp Battle and the attack on Medfield, Massachusetts. How many civilians and soldiers were lost in the battles?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss John Pynchon and the burning of Springfield. When was Springfield attacked and how many were injured and killed in the conflict?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)