|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Hugo Grotius publish his first book?
2. Who was fiercely competitive with William Hubbard and even campaigned to discredit Hubbard's account of the war?
3. According to the author, many colonists found it hard to write about the war, such as what individual who felt totally devastated by his experience of the burning of Springfield?
4. What was the name of the Algonquian language?
5. When did Hugo Grotius die?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did King Philip's War begin, according to the author in the Prologue? What tribes were involved?
2. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
3. How does the author describe the competition between Increase Mather and William Hubbard in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
4. How is the early life of John Sassamon described in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
5. How does the author describe the Puritans' impression of America and Native Americans upon arriving in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
6. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
7. How does the author relate King Philip's War to a holy war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
8. Where were most of the accounts of the war published, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed? How are the accounts described?
9. What reasons did the Narragansetts give for their attack on Providence, as described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
10. How did Nathaniel Saltonstall describe the war in relation to the body, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life and work of Hugo Grotius. What were major influences in Grotius's theories and philosophies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the perception of King Philip's War from the English colonists who were not immediately involved in the conflict. How did colonists learn of the battles and events?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss John Pynchon and the burning of Springfield. When was Springfield attacked and how many were injured and killed in the conflict?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)