|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Passaconaway is said to have died in what year?
2. When was Hugo Grotius born?
3. Increase Mather was a Puritan minister who was involved with the administration of what college?
4. John Sassamon was born circa what year?
5. In the Prologue, the author describes King Philip's War as being almost over in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author remark regarding suffering and writing about the war in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
2. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
3. Where were most of the accounts of the war published, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed? How are the accounts described?
4. How does the author describe the spiritual views of the Native Americans regarding the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
5. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
6. How did the loss of property impact the Puritans, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
7. What did the colonists believe of the Indian powwaws? How did this shape their view of the war, as discussed in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
8. What did the author write of the changing Puritan population and identity in the 1630s and 1640s in the Prologue?
9. What reasons did the Narragansetts give for their attack on Providence, as described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
10. When did King Philip's War begin, according to the author in the Prologue? What tribes were involved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of "powwaws" and ministers in King Philip's War. How did the Puritans and the Native Americans view the religious aspects of the war?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss John Pynchon and the burning of Springfield. When was Springfield attacked and how many were injured and killed in the conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and works of Jill Lepore. What inspired Lepore to write The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity? How has the book been received?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)