Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is very likely that John Sassamon was adopted or indentured to the family of whom?
2. Where was William Hubbard born?
3. How many accounts of King Philip's War represent several types of writing aimed at different audiences, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
4. When was A Brief History of the War with the Indians in New-England published?
5. Who is credited with the founding of Medfield, Massachusetts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was accused of the murder of John Sassamon? How does the author describe Metacom's reaction in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
2. What reasons did the Narragansetts give for their attack on Providence, as described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
3. How does the author describe the Puritans' impression of America and Native Americans upon arriving in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
4. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
5. How does the author describe cultural revivals among the Indians in Epilogue, The Rock?
6. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. How is the early life of John Sassamon described in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
8. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
9. How is the Indian slave trade described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
10. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of "powwaws" and ministers in King Philip's War. How did the Puritans and the Native Americans view the religious aspects of the war?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Puritan colonists in America. When were the colonies formed and what relationship did the English have with the Native Americans upon arriving?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Wampanoags, Narragansetts, Nipmuchs, Pocomtucks, Abenakis, Mohegan, Pequot, Mohawk and Christian Indians. What were the relationships between these tribes like prior to the colonization of America?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)