|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of an Algonquian Native American tribe from Rhode Island?
2. The Eighty Years' War took place when?
3. Increase Mather was the youngest of how many brothers?
4. Passaconaway is said to have died in what year?
5. What has been described as a law whose content is set by nature and is thus universal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was problematic for the Puritans in their plight to maintain a civil identity, as discussed in the Prologue?
2. How does the author describe the motivations of the colonists and the Native Americans in the war in the Prologue?
3. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
4. In what regard is John Pynchon discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
5. How does the author describe the competition between Increase Mather and William Hubbard in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
6. When did King Philip's War begin, according to the author in the Prologue? What tribes were involved?
7. What theories does the author describe for the murder of John Sassamon in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
8. How does the author describe the spiritual views of the Native Americans regarding the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
9. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
10. What does the author remark regarding suffering and writing about the war in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Puritan colonists in America. When were the colonies formed and what relationship did the English have with the Native Americans upon arriving?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and work of Hugo Grotius. What were major influences in Grotius's theories and philosophies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Just War Theory and Natural Law and the influence of these concepts on the perceptions of the English colonists. Why did the colonists believe the war was just?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)