|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was William Hubbard born?
2. Passaconaway was believed to have been born between 1550 and when?
3. According to the author, the colonists thought the powwaws received their orders from whom?
4. When the Puritans came to America, the Algonquians were thought to be what?
5. What word means "shaman" in the language of the Narragansett?
Short Essay Questions
1. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
2. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
3. How does the author describe the competition between Increase Mather and William Hubbard in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
4. What theories does the author describe for the murder of John Sassamon in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
5. In what regard is John Pynchon discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
6. When did King Philip's War begin, according to the author in the Prologue? What tribes were involved?
7. What does the author say regarding literacy as a tool in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
8. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
9. How did the loss of property impact the Puritans, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
10. How were homes used as a metaphor by Nathaniel Saltonstall, as described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of identity in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How does the author introduce this theme in the Prologue and what does she intend to prove in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and work of Hugo Grotius. What were major influences in Grotius's theories and philosophies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the use of metaphor and symbolism in the accounts of King Philip's War. How can the mindset of the Puritans be seen through these metaphors?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)