|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mills in Medfield, Massachusetts, were destroyed by Native Americans during King Philip's War in 1675?
2. On what date did the Narragansetts attack Providence, destroying it?
3. One house, known as what, was burnt in King Philip's War but was rebuilt shortly thereafter near downtown Medfield, Massachusetts?
4. When was Metacomet born?
5. When was A Brief History of the War with the Indians in New-England published?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. How did the loss of property impact the Puritans, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
3. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
4. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
5. What book did Washington Irving write about King Philip's War? How is it described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
6. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
7. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
8. How does the author describe the Puritans' impression of America and Native Americans upon arriving in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
9. What was problematic for the Puritans in their plight to maintain a civil identity, as discussed in the Prologue?
10. What did the colonists believe of the Indian powwaws? How did this shape their view of the war, as discussed in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of literacy in The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity. How was literacy used as a tool for the powerful throughout history?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the murder of John Sassamon and the subsequent trial of Mattashunannamo, Tobias, and Wampapaquan. How did this event contribute to the beginning of King Philip's War?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the use of metaphor and symbolism in the accounts of King Philip's War. How can the mindset of the Puritans be seen through these metaphors?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)