|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Nathaniel Saltonstall die?
2. John Sassamon was born circa what year?
3. Increase Mather was the youngest of how many brothers?
4. Where was William Hubbard born?
5. The most standard narratives of King Philip's War were published where, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the motivations of the colonists and the Native Americans in the war in the Prologue?
2. How is Natural Law and Just War theory described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
3. How does the author describe the portrayal of Native Americans among the colonists in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
4. In what regard is John Pynchon discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
5. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
6. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
7. Who was accused of the murder of John Sassamon? How does the author describe Metacom's reaction in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
8. How does the author relate King Philip's War to a holy war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
9. How does the author describe the Puritans' impression of America and Native Americans upon arriving in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
10. How does the author describe the English identity of the colonists in 1676 in the Prologue of The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the English colonial identity and the correlation between that identity and land. How does the author relate these concepts metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and work of John Eliot and the childhood of John Sassamon. How did these men meet and come to know one another?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss John Pynchon and the burning of Springfield. When was Springfield attacked and how many were injured and killed in the conflict?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)