|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The colonists lost about how many men in the Great Swamp Fight?
2. According to the author, the colonists thought the powwaws received their orders from whom?
3. Who was fiercely competitive with William Hubbard and even campaigned to discredit Hubbard's account of the war?
4. According to the author, many colonists found it hard to write about the war, such as what individual who felt totally devastated by his experience of the burning of Springfield?
5. When was William Hubbard born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What American actor gained fame for his portrayal of Metacom in Metamora? How is he described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
2. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
3. What was problematic for the Puritans in their plight to maintain a civil identity, as discussed in the Prologue?
4. How does the author describe the English identity of the colonists in 1676 in the Prologue of The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity?
5. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
6. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
7. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
8. How does the author describe the motivations of the colonists and the Native Americans in the war in the Prologue?
9. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
10. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different theories of John Sassamon's murder. Who had the greatest motivation to murder Sassamon? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss John Pynchon and the burning of Springfield. When was Springfield attacked and how many were injured and killed in the conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Just War Theory and Natural Law and the influence of these concepts on the perceptions of the English colonists. Why did the colonists believe the war was just?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)