|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Passaconaway is said to have died in what year?
2. When was Metacomet born?
3. What were the villages of Christian Indians called?
4. How many mills in Medfield, Massachusetts, were destroyed by Native Americans during King Philip's War in 1675?
5. According to the author, many colonists found it hard to write about the war, such as what individual who felt totally devastated by his experience of the burning of Springfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the competition between Increase Mather and William Hubbard in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
2. How were homes used as a metaphor by Nathaniel Saltonstall, as described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
3. In what regard is John Pynchon discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
4. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
5. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
6. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
7. How does the author describe the motivations of the colonists and the Native Americans in the war in the Prologue?
8. What reasons did the Narragansetts give for their attack on Providence, as described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
9. How does the author describe the English identity of the colonists in 1676 in the Prologue of The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity?
10. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nathaniel Saltonstall and his "True but Brief Account of our Losses." When and where was Nathaniel Saltonstall born? What was his involvement in the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and work of John Eliot and the childhood of John Sassamon. How did these men meet and come to know one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the use of metaphor and symbolism in the accounts of King Philip's War. How can the mindset of the Puritans be seen through these metaphors?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)