|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was fiercely competitive with William Hubbard and even campaigned to discredit Hubbard's account of the war?
2. According to the author, the colonists thought the powwaws received their orders from whom?
3. Medfield, Massachusetts, was first settled in what year?
4. What has been described as a law whose content is set by nature and is thus universal?
5. John Eliot's efforts as a missionary earned him what nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nathaniel Saltonstall describe the war in relation to the body, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
2. Where were most of the accounts of the war published, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed? How are the accounts described?
3. How does the author describe the spiritual views of the Native Americans regarding the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
4. What did the author write of the changing Puritan population and identity in the 1630s and 1640s in the Prologue?
5. What does the author remark regarding suffering and writing about the war in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
6. What theories does the author describe for the murder of John Sassamon in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
7. What was problematic for the Puritans in their plight to maintain a civil identity, as discussed in the Prologue?
8. How does the author describe the competition between Increase Mather and William Hubbard in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
9. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
10. How does the author describe the motivations of the colonists and the Native Americans in the war in the Prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Wampanoags, Narragansetts, Nipmuchs, Pocomtucks, Abenakis, Mohegan, Pequot, Mohawk and Christian Indians. What were the relationships between these tribes like prior to the colonization of America?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Narragansetts' attack on Providence and the reasons given for the attack. Why did Roger Williams feel betrayed by the attack?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the murder of John Sassamon and the subsequent trial of Mattashunannamo, Tobias, and Wampapaquan. How did this event contribute to the beginning of King Philip's War?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)