|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The most standard narratives of King Philip's War were published where, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
2. William Hubbard was the pastor of the Congregational church located where?
3. When was Hugo Grotius born?
4. In 1600 the Wampanoag lived primarily in what two states?
5. What book did William Hubbard write at the order of the Colonial government, which paid him 50 pounds for it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the English identity of the colonists in 1676 in the Prologue of The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity?
2. How was John Sassamon involved in King Philip's War, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
3. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
4. How does the author relate King Philip's War to a holy war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
5. How were homes used as a metaphor by Nathaniel Saltonstall, as described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
6. How is the early life of John Sassamon described in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
7. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
8. How does the author describe the spiritual views of the Native Americans regarding the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
9. What did the author write of the changing Puritan population and identity in the 1630s and 1640s in the Prologue?
10. How does the author describe the competition between Increase Mather and William Hubbard in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nathaniel Saltonstall and his "True but Brief Account of our Losses." When and where was Nathaniel Saltonstall born? What was his involvement in the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the perception of King Philip's War from the English colonists who were not immediately involved in the conflict. How did colonists learn of the battles and events?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and works of Jill Lepore. What inspired Lepore to write The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity? How has the book been received?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)