|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, accounts of King Philip's War that were apocalyptic, with some being sermons, were mostly printed where?
2. According to the author, sometimes maps of New England marked English territory with small houses and churches and marked Indian territories with what?
3. Where was Increase Mather born?
4. The three men who were accused as the killers of Sassamon were Mattashunannamo, Tobias, and his son, who was named what?
5. Who was fiercely competitive with William Hubbard and even campaigned to discredit Hubbard's account of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theories does the author describe for the murder of John Sassamon in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
2. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
3. How does the author relate King Philip's War to a holy war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
4. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
5. When did King Philip's War begin, according to the author in the Prologue? What tribes were involved?
6. How does the author describe the motivations of the colonists and the Native Americans in the war in the Prologue?
7. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
8. What does the author remark regarding suffering and writing about the war in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
9. Where were most of the accounts of the war published, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed? How are the accounts described?
10. What does the author say regarding literacy as a tool in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the English colonial identity and the correlation between that identity and land. How does the author relate these concepts metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Just War Theory and Natural Law and the influence of these concepts on the perceptions of the English colonists. Why did the colonists believe the war was just?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Narragansetts' attack on Providence and the reasons given for the attack. Why did Roger Williams feel betrayed by the attack?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)