|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the book A Relation of the Troubles which Have Hapned in New-England by Reason of the Indians There from the Year 1614 to the Year 1675 published?
2. What does "bashaba" mean?
3. What, according to the author, is in many ways a simple tool and is often controlled by the powerful, because it can be used to change minds?
4. What is the name of a group of Algonquian Indians native to Worcester County, Massachusetts?
5. In the Great Swamp Fight, it is believed that the militia killed about how many Narragansetts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the competition between Increase Mather and William Hubbard in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
2. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
3. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
4. What does the author say regarding literacy as a tool in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
5. How does the author describe the evidence surrounding John Sassamon's death in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
6. What theories does the author describe for the murder of John Sassamon in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
7. How did Nathaniel Saltonstall describe the war in relation to the body, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
8. What was problematic for the Puritans in their plight to maintain a civil identity, as discussed in the Prologue?
9. What did the author write of the changing Puritan population and identity in the 1630s and 1640s in the Prologue?
10. What did the colonists believe of the Indian powwaws? How did this shape their view of the war, as discussed in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life and work of John Eliot and the childhood of John Sassamon. How did these men meet and come to know one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nathaniel Saltonstall and his "True but Brief Account of our Losses." When and where was Nathaniel Saltonstall born? What was his involvement in the war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Narragansetts' attack on Providence and the reasons given for the attack. Why did Roger Williams feel betrayed by the attack?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)