|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word means "shaman" in the language of the Narragansett?
2. What has been described as a law whose content is set by nature and is thus universal?
3. What, according to the author, is in many ways a simple tool and is often controlled by the powerful, because it can be used to change minds?
4. On what date did the Narragansetts attack Providence, destroying it?
5. A Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians was published in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author write of the changing Puritan population and identity in the 1630s and 1640s in the Prologue?
2. How did the loss of property impact the Puritans, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
3. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
4. How is Natural Law and Just War theory described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
5. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
6. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
7. When did King Philip's War begin, according to the author in the Prologue? What tribes were involved?
8. How were homes used as a metaphor by Nathaniel Saltonstall, as described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
9. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
10. What did the colonists believe of the Indian powwaws? How did this shape their view of the war, as discussed in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Puritan colonists in America. When were the colonies formed and what relationship did the English have with the Native Americans upon arriving?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the use of metaphor and symbolism in the accounts of King Philip's War. How can the mindset of the Puritans be seen through these metaphors?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss John Pynchon and the burning of Springfield. When was Springfield attacked and how many were injured and killed in the conflict?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)