|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians?
2. Who is credited with the founding of Medfield, Massachusetts?
3. When the Puritans came to America, the Algonquians were thought to be what?
4. Passaconaway is a name which translates to what in English?
5. John Sassamon's family died during the smallpox epidemic of what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
2. How does the author describe the Puritans' impression of America and Native Americans upon arriving in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
3. What does the author remark regarding suffering and writing about the war in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
4. In what regard is John Pynchon discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
5. How does the author relate King Philip's War to a holy war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
6. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
7. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
8. How is the early life of John Sassamon described in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
9. How were homes used as a metaphor by Nathaniel Saltonstall, as described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
10. What reasons did the Narragansetts give for their attack on Providence, as described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life and work of Hugo Grotius. What were major influences in Grotius's theories and philosophies?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Great Swamp Battle and the attack on Medfield, Massachusetts. How many civilians and soldiers were lost in the battles?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Just War Theory and Natural Law and the influence of these concepts on the perceptions of the English colonists. Why did the colonists believe the war was just?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)