|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Metacomet's son when he was kidnapped?
2. Historians know little of what happened to King Philip's son except that he was sold into slavery and probably shipped where?
(a) To England.
(b) To South Africa.
(c) To East Asia.
(d) To the West Indes.
3. Mohegan translates to what in English?
(a) "Children of the Star".
(b) "People of the Swamp".
(c) "People of the bear".
(d) "People of the wolf".
4. The money that ransomed Mary Rowlandson was paid by whom?
(b) James Printer.
(c) John Hoar.
(d) Joshua Tift.
5. Jill Lepore is a contributing writer for what publication?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) Art in America.
(c) Writer's Weekly.
(d) National Educational Review.
Short Answer Questions
1. The white population of New England totaled about how many people at the start of King Philip's War?
2. In what year did the American Revolutionary War begin?
3. The majority of the dead Native Americans and many of the colonials during the war died as the result of what?
4. To whom did Captain Church give a hand of the deceased King Philip?
5. King Philip was killed on what date?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
2. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
3. How is the aftermath of the war described amongst the colonists in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
4. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
5. What did critics say of the play Metamora? Who supported the play as propaganda for Indian Removal?
6. How was Edwin Forrest's portrayal of Metamora received in England? What does the author write of this in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
7. How does the author describe cultural revivals among the Indians in Epilogue, The Rock?
8. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
9. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
10. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)