|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over how many colonists died during King Philip's War?
2. According to the author, the colonists took more than how many decades to rebuild what had been destroyed from King Philip's War?
3. What was from 1351 a penalty in England for men convicted of high treason, although the ritual was first recorded during the reigns of King Henry III and his successor, Edward I?
(a) Execution by guillotine.
(b) Hanged, drawn and quartered.
(c) Burning at the stake.
(d) Execution by Fire Marshal.
4. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay was etched after the creation of Cherokee syllabary in what year?
5. Who wrote the play Metamora; or, The Last of the Wampanoags?
(a) John Alderman.
(b) Increase Mather.
(c) Richard Callicot.
(d) John Augustus Stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many weeks of captivity did Mary Rowlandson experience before being released on ransom?
2. When did William Charles Macready die?
3. When did Benjamin Church die?
4. The white population of New England totaled about how many people at the start of King Philip's War?
5. On what date was Mary Rowlandson ransomed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
2. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
3. How is the Indian slave trade described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
4. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
5. What book did Washington Irving write about King Philip's War? How is it described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
6. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
7. How does the author describe the symbolism of Metamora in regard to American identity in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
8. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
9. How does the author describe the aftermath of the war for the Indians in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan? What was the cause of the majority of deaths in the war?
10. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)