|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was held captive by the Narragansetts, though he was hanged and quartered for treason?
(a) Joshua Tift.
(b) Increase Mather.
(c) John Hoar.
(d) James Printer.
2. What was the name of King Philip's older brother, known by the English as King Alexander?
3. Which tribe of Native Americans, in the 17th century, inhabited much of what is now Connecticut?
(a) The Ouachita people.
(b) The Cherokee people.
(c) The Pequot people.
(d) The Blackfoot people.
4. When did Bartholomew de Las Casas die?
5. When was William Charles Macready born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the author describe the Narragansett cultural revival originating in the Epilogue?
2. What book did Mary Rowlandson write about her capture by Native Americans?
3. Mohegan translates to what in English?
4. Jill Lepore is a professor of American history at what university?
5. Benjamin Church is considered the father of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What American actor gained fame for his portrayal of Metacom in Metamora? How is he described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
2. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
3. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
4. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
5. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
6. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
7. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
8. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
9. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
10. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)