|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mary Rowlandson was the fifth of how many children?
2. When was The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity published?
3. Which President of the United States was Andrew Jackson?
4. What refers to the name of a geographical feature in an official or well-established language occurring in that area where the feature is located?
5. King Philip was killed on what date?
(a) August 23, 1677.
(b) May 1, 1676.
(c) November 14, 1676.
(d) August 12, 1676.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Edwin Forrest born?
2. Jill Lepore's book, New York Burning: Liberty, Slavery and Conspiracy in Eighteenth-Century Manhattan, was a finalist for what award?
3. Cambridge University Press was granted letters patent by Henry VIII in what year?
4. When does the author describe the Narragansett cultural revival originating in the Epilogue?
5. The Mohawk people are the most easterly tribe of what confederation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the aftermath of the war for the Indians in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan? What was the cause of the majority of deaths in the war?
2. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
3. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
4. What did critics say of the play Metamora? Who supported the play as propaganda for Indian Removal?
5. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
6. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
7. How does the author describe cultural revivals among the Indians in Epilogue, The Rock?
8. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
9. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
10. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)