|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who strongly opposed selling Indians into slavery, arguing that slavery was worse than death?
(a) John Alderman.
(b) John Eliot.
(c) Increase Mather.
(d) King Philip.
2. King Philip was killed on what date?
(a) August 23, 1677.
(b) November 14, 1676.
(c) August 12, 1676.
(d) May 1, 1676.
3. When did Mary Rowlandson's family move to Lancaster, Massachusetts?
4. When was a rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay discovered with Cherokee writing on it, according to the author in the Epilogue?
5. Jill Lepore is a contributing writer for what publication?
(a) National Educational Review.
(b) Writer's Weekly.
(c) Art in America.
(d) The New Yorker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Bartholomew de Las Casas born?
2. What was the name of Metacomet's wife?
3. Where was William Charles Macready born?
4. Over how many colonists died during King Philip's War?
5. Jill Lepore is a professor of American history at what university?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
3. What American actor gained fame for his portrayal of Metacom in Metamora? How is he described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
4. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
5. How does the author describe cultural revivals among the Indians in Epilogue, The Rock?
6. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. How was Edwin Forrest's portrayal of Metamora received in England? What does the author write of this in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
8. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
9. How is the aftermath of the war described amongst the colonists in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
10. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)