|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay may have been etched by what tribe of Indians who visited New England to work out land claims and made a pilgrimage to Mount Hope?
(a) The Mohegan people.
(b) The Cherokee people.
(c) The Penobscot people.
(d) The Ouachita people.
2. King Philip was killed on what date?
(a) August 12, 1676.
(b) November 14, 1676.
(c) May 1, 1676.
(d) August 23, 1677.
3. Where was Bartholomew de Las Casas born?
4. When did Bartholomew de Las Casas die?
5. How many children of Mary Rowlandson's were among the hostages taken by Native Americans?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary Rowlandson returned to Boston, she ended up encountering some Christian Indians who brought her a letter from whom?
2. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay translates from Cherokee to say what in English?
3. At what event did King Philip's head make an appearance in Plymouth following the war?
4. Mary Rowlandson wrote from a fully Christian perspective and believed that being held captive was a special brand of affliction that served to increase what?
5. Who wrote the play Metamora; or, The Last of the Wampanoags?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
2. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
3. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
4. How was Edwin Forrest's portrayal of Metamora received in England? What does the author write of this in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
5. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
6. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. How does the author describe the aftermath of the war for the Indians in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan? What was the cause of the majority of deaths in the war?
8. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
9. What American actor gained fame for his portrayal of Metacom in Metamora? How is he described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
10. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)