|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The white population of New England totaled about how many men of military age at the start of King Philip's War?
2. On what date was Metacomet's wife captured by enemy forces?
(a) November 3, 1676.
(b) August 10, 1678.
(c) September 12, 1677.
(d) August 2, 1676.
3. What book did Jill Lepore publish in 2010?
(a) Encounters in the New World: A History in Documents.
(b) A is for American: Letters and Other Characters in the Newly United States.
(c) Blindspot: A Novel.
(d) The Whites of Their Eyes: The Tea Party's Revolution and the Battle over American History.
4. What was the name of Metacomet's wife?
5. The Mohawk people are the most easterly tribe of what confederation?
(a) The Cherokee confederation.
(b) The Iroquois confederation.
(c) The Mohave confederation.
(d) The Ouachita confederation.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what event did King Philip's head make an appearance in Plymouth following the war?
2. On what date was Mary Rowlandson kidnapped?
3. Where was Metamora; or, The Last of the Wampanoags originally performed?
4. Edwin Forrest made his first stage appearance on November 27, 1820, at what theater?
5. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay was etched after the creation of Cherokee syllabary in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was King Philip's War resurrected during the American Revolution, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
3. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
4. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
5. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
6. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
7. What American actor gained fame for his portrayal of Metacom in Metamora? How is he described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
8. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
9. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
10. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)