|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Benjamin Church die?
2. Bartholomew de Las Casas thought that if Indians souls could be redeemed, then they had worth and that therefore they should not be what?
3. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay was etched after the creation of Cherokee syllabary in what year?
4. Who was a Christian missionary, reformer, activist for the rights of American Indians, and a leading opponent of the Indian removal policy of the United States government?
(a) Increase Mather.
(b) John Alderman.
(c) Jeremiah Evarts.
(d) Richard Callicot.
5. Jill Lepore earned a Ph.D. in American Studies from what university?
(a) Princeton University.
(b) Yale University.
(c) The University of Michigan.
(d) Harvard University.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did William Charles Macready die?
2. King Philip was killed on what date?
3. For how much money was Mary Rowlandson ransomed?
4. When was Edwin Forrest born?
5. The Mohawk people are the most easterly tribe of what confederation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
2. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
3. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
4. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
5. What American actor gained fame for his portrayal of Metacom in Metamora? How is he described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
6. How does the author describe Mary Rowlandson's perspective of identity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
7. When was the play Metamora first presented? How was it received?
8. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
9. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
10. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)