|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was William Charles Macready born?
2. According to the author, the colonists took more than how many decades to rebuild what had been destroyed from King Philip's War?
3. What was the name of King Philip's older brother, known by the English as King Alexander?
4. On what date was Metacomet's wife captured by enemy forces?
(a) September 12, 1677.
(b) August 10, 1678.
(c) November 3, 1676.
(d) August 2, 1676.
5. How old was Metacomet's son when he was kidnapped?
Short Answer Questions
1. Benjamin Church is considered the father of what?
2. Jill Lepore earned a B.A. in English at what university?
3. Metamora; or, The Last of the Wampanoags was written in what year?
4. Who was a Christian missionary, reformer, activist for the rights of American Indians, and a leading opponent of the Indian removal policy of the United States government?
5. Where was Bartholomew de Las Casas born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. What does the author conclude regarding American identity in the Epilogue, The Rock?
3. What book did Washington Irving write about King Philip's War? How is it described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
4. How does the author describe cultural revivals among the Indians in Epilogue, The Rock?
5. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
6. What issues did the colonists have with distinguishing captured Indians, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
7. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
8. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
9. How was Edwin Forrest's portrayal of Metamora received in England? What does the author write of this in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
10. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)