|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the New World discovered by Christopher Columbus?
2. Cambridge University Press was granted letters patent by Henry VIII in what year?
3. Historians know little of what happened to King Philip's son except that he was sold into slavery and probably shipped where?
(a) To the West Indes.
(b) To East Asia.
(c) To England.
(d) To South Africa.
4. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay may have been etched by what tribe of Indians who visited New England to work out land claims and made a pilgrimage to Mount Hope?
(a) The Penobscot people.
(b) The Ouachita people.
(c) The Mohegan people.
(d) The Cherokee people.
5. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay was etched before what year, according to the author in the Epilogue?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mahican people were historically located in what region?
2. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay translates from Cherokee to say what in English?
3. What book did Mary Rowlandson write about her capture by Native Americans?
4. When was a rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay discovered with Cherokee writing on it, according to the author in the Epilogue?
5. When did Mary Rowlandson die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
2. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
3. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
4. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
5. What book did Washington Irving write about King Philip's War? How is it described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
6. Who was Joshue Tift? What experience did he have in captivity, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
7. How does the author describe the aftermath of the war for the Indians in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan? What was the cause of the majority of deaths in the war?
8. What American actor gained fame for his portrayal of Metacom in Metamora? How is he described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
9. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
10. What does the author write regarding the legend of King Philip and our perception of him through the eyes of history?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)