|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to the name of a geographical feature in an official or well-established language occurring in that area where the feature is located?
2. Bartholomew de Las Casas thought that if Indians souls could be redeemed, then they had worth and that therefore they should not be what?
3. The white population of New England totaled about how many people at the start of King Philip's War?
4. The Mohawk people call themselves what, which means "people of the place of the flint"?
5. When did William Charles Macready die?
Short Answer Questions
1. King Philip was killed on what date?
2. When did Andrew Jackson die?
3. How old was Metacomet's son when he was kidnapped?
4. Who wrote the play Metamora; or, The Last of the Wampanoags?
5. Jill Lepore earned a B.A. in English at what university?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between the Indians and the colonists described in 1681 in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. What book did Washington Irving write about King Philip's War? How is it described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
3. When were Metacom's wife and child captured? Where does the author say they were taken in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
4. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
5. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
6. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
7. Who was Mary Rowlandson? What account did she write of King Philip's War?
8. What was represented by the appearance of King Philip's head in Plymouth, as discussed in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
9. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
10. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)