|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did Mary Rowlandson write about her capture by Native Americans?
(a) Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians in New-England.
(b) The Grace and Glory of Our Savior.
(c) A History of New England.
(d) The Sovereignty and Goodness of God.
2. Who was held captive by the Narragansetts, though he was hanged and quartered for treason?
(a) Joshua Tift.
(b) James Printer.
(c) John Hoar.
(d) Increase Mather.
3. When did William Charles Macready die?
4. Where was William Charles Macready born?
(a) Bern, Switzerland.
(b) Philadelphia, PA.
(c) London, England.
(d) New York, NY.
5. For how much money was Mary Rowlandson ransomed?
(a) 40 pounds.
(b) 30 pounds.
(c) 10 pounds.
(d) 20 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. The white population of New England totaled about how many men of military age at the start of King Philip's War?
2. Historians know little of what happened to King Philip's son except that he was sold into slavery and probably shipped where?
3. How many weeks of captivity did Mary Rowlandson experience before being released on ransom?
4. When was William Charles Macready born?
5. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay was etched before what year, according to the author in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did critics say of the play Metamora? Who supported the play as propaganda for Indian Removal?
2. What does the rock symbolically represent, according to the author in the Epilogue, The Rock?
3. What theories does the author describe for James Printer's captivity in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
4. How is Metacom's memorial described in the Epilogue, The Rock? When was it discovered?
5. How is the Indian slave trade described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
6. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
7. What happened after James Printer was released from captivity, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 5, Come Go Along with Us?
8. How is the aftermath of the war described amongst the colonists in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
9. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
10. What argument did John Eliot make against Indian slavery, as discussed in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)