|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Passaconaway was believed to have been born between 1550 and when?
2. According to the author, sometimes maps of New England marked English territory with small houses and churches and marked Indian territories with what?
3. One house, known as what, was burnt in King Philip's War but was rebuilt shortly thereafter near downtown Medfield, Massachusetts?
(a) The Medfield Mansion.
(b) The Peak House.
(c) The Boston House.
(d) The Orchard House.
4. At what age did Hugo Grotius publish his first book?
5. The first English settlers arrived in what year, when Sassamon's parents may have welcomed them?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Protestant theological system and an approach to the Christian life and was advanced by several theologians such as Martin Bucer, Heinrich Bullinger, Peter Martyr Vermigli, and Huldrych Zwingli?
2. The most standard narratives of King Philip's War were published where, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
3. Increase Mather was the youngest of how many brothers?
4. When was A Brief History of the War with the Indians in New-England published?
5. Who wrote Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were homes used as a metaphor by Nathaniel Saltonstall, as described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
2. What did the colonists believe of the Indian powwaws? How did this shape their view of the war, as discussed in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
3. What does the author say regarding literacy as a tool in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
4. Where were most of the accounts of the war published, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed? How are the accounts described?
5. In what regard is John Pynchon discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
6. How does the author describe the Puritans' impression of America and Native Americans upon arriving in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
7. How does the author describe the evidence surrounding John Sassamon's death in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
8. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
9. What did the author write of the changing Puritan population and identity in the 1630s and 1640s in the Prologue?
10. How did the loss of property impact the Puritans, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)