|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Hugo Grotius born?
2. In 1600 the Wampanoag lived primarily in what two states?
(a) New Jersey and New York.
(b) Kentucky and Delaware.
(c) Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
(d) New York and Pennsylvania.
3. Metacomet was a war chief or sachem of what Indian tribe?
(a) The Wampanoag people.
(b) The Ouachita tribe.
(c) The Mohegan people.
(d) The Mahican people.
4. At what age did Hugo Grotius publish his first book?
5. The Eighty Years' War took place when?
Short Answer Questions
1. King Philip's War began in June of what year?
2. When was Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians published?
3. According to the author in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?, due to their great losses, many New England colonists thought God was punishing them for their failure to do what?
4. John Eliot's efforts as a missionary earned him what nickname?
5. Who is credited with the founding of Medfield, Massachusetts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the early life of John Sassamon described in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
2. Where were most of the accounts of the war published, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed? How are the accounts described?
3. How does the author describe the English identity of the colonists in 1676 in the Prologue of The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity?
4. When did King Philip's War begin, according to the author in the Prologue? What tribes were involved?
5. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
6. How is literacy in the colonies described in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
7. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
8. How did the loss of property impact the Puritans, as discussed in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
9. How does the author describe the spiritual views of the Native Americans regarding the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
10. What reasons did the Narragansetts give for their attack on Providence, as described in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)