|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Sassamon's family died during the smallpox epidemic of what year?
2. At what age did Hugo Grotius publish his first book?
3. When was Hugo Grotius born?
4. Passaconaway is said to have died in what year?
5. William Hubbard was the pastor of the Congregational church located where?
(a) Ipswich, MA.
(b) Boston, MA.
(c) New York, NY.
(d) Salem, MA.
Short Answer Questions
1. The three men who were accused as the killers of Sassamon were Mattashunannamo, Tobias, and his son, who was named what?
2. What is the name of a group of Algonquian Indians native to Worcester County, Massachusetts?
3. The Eighty Years' War took place when?
4. Before Europeans came into contact, most Algonquian settlements lived by what means?
5. What is defined as an uncivilized or barbaric state or condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say regarding literacy as a tool in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
2. When did King Philip's War begin, according to the author in the Prologue? What tribes were involved?
3. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
4. Where were most of the accounts of the war published, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed? How are the accounts described?
5. How does the author relate King Philip's War to a holy war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
6. How does the author describe the evidence surrounding John Sassamon's death in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
7. Describe the methods of news and communication within the colonies, as discussed in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed. How reliable were news sources?
8. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
9. Who was accused of the murder of John Sassamon? How does the author describe Metacom's reaction in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
10. What theories does the author describe for the murder of John Sassamon in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)