|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, sometimes maps of New England marked English territory with small houses and churches and marked Indian territories with what?
2. Increase Mather was the youngest of how many brothers?
3. Who was fiercely competitive with William Hubbard and even campaigned to discredit Hubbard's account of the war?
(a) Increase Mather.
(b) William Hubbard.
(c) John Sassamon.
(d) Richard Callicot.
4. The witnesses who testified against Sassamon's accused killers were Patuckson and who?
5. What was the capital city of the Massachusetts Bay colony?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did the Narragansetts attack Providence, destroying it?
2. The colonists lost about how many men in the Great Swamp Fight?
3. How many houses in Medfield, Massachusetts, were destroyed by Native Americans during King Philip's War in 1675?
4. When was the book A Relation of the Troubles which Have Hapned in New-England by Reason of the Indians There from the Year 1614 to the Year 1675 published?
5. What is the oldest municipality in New England and one of the oldest in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the treatment of Philip's body in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 7, That Blasphemous Leviathan?
2. What publication did Nathaniel Saltonstall write of the war? How is it described in Part Two, War, Chapter 3, Habitations of Cruelty?
3. What book did Washington Irving write about King Philip's War? How is it described in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
4. How does the author describe the evidence surrounding John Sassamon's death in Part One, Language, Chapter 1, Beware of Any Linguist?
5. What motivations and ethics are described of the Indian tribes for the war in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
6. How was Edwin Forrest's portrayal of Metamora received in England? What does the author write of this in Part Four, Memory, Chapter 8, The Curse of Metamora?
7. What view did Bartholomew de Las Casas have regarding Indian slavery, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
8. When was the rock thought to have been engraved in the Epilogue, The Rock?
9. What debate surrounded the fate of Metacom's son, as described in Part Three, Bondage, Chapter 6, A Dangerous Merchandise?
10. How did the actions of the English impact the Native American people, according to the author in the Prologue?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)