|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay may have been etched by what tribe of Indians who visited New England to work out land claims and made a pilgrimage to Mount Hope?
(a) The Ouachita people.
(b) The Mohegan people.
(c) The Cherokee people.
(d) The Penobscot people.
2. Jill Lepore is a contributing writer for what publication?
(a) National Educational Review.
(b) Writer's Weekly.
(c) Art in America.
(d) The New Yorker.
3. Bartholomew de Las Casas thought that if Indians souls could be redeemed, then they had worth and that therefore they should not be what?
4. What refers to the name of a geographical feature in an official or well-established language occurring in that area where the feature is located?
5. On what date was Metacomet's wife captured by enemy forces?
(a) November 3, 1676.
(b) August 10, 1678.
(c) September 12, 1677.
(d) August 2, 1676.
6. Jill Lepore's book, New York Burning: Liberty, Slavery and Conspiracy in Eighteenth-Century Manhattan, was a finalist for what award?
(a) The Pulitzer Prize in History.
(b) The Bancroft Prize in History.
(c) The Pulitzer Prize in Literature.
(d) The Bancroft Prize in Literature.
7. Over how many Native Americans had died during King Philip's War?
8. The money that ransomed Mary Rowlandson was paid by whom?
(a) Joshua Tift.
(c) John Hoar.
(d) James Printer.
9. When was Bartholomew de Las Casas born?
10. Mohegan translates to what in English?
(a) "People of the Swamp".
(b) "People of the wolf".
(c) "Children of the Star".
(d) "People of the bear".
11. When did Edwin Forrest die?
12. Who was the husband of Mary Rowlandson?
(a) Rev. Henry Rowlandson.
(b) Rev. Joseph Rowlandson.
(c) Rev. James Rowlandson.
(d) Rev. Andrew Rowlandson.
13. When did William Charles Macready die?
14. What was Andrew Jackson nicknamed because of his toughness and aggressive personality?
(a) "Old Hickory".
(b) "Black Stone".
(c) "Big Tree".
15. When was Mary Rowlandson born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were Spanish and Portuguese soldiers, explorers, and adventurers who brought much of the Americas under the control of Spain and Portugal in the 15th to 16th centuries?
2. When was Andrew Jackson born?
3. Jill Lepore earned a Ph.D. in American Studies from what university?
4. On what date was Metamora; or, The Last of the Wampanoags first performed?
5. When did Mary Rowlandson die?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)