|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what event did King Philip's head make an appearance in Plymouth following the war?
(a) Thanksgiving festival.
(b) State fair.
(c) Halloween festival.
(d) Christmas festival.
2. The white population of New England totaled about how many men of military age at the start of King Philip's War?
3. When was Bartholomew de Las Casas born?
4. What was the name of King Philip's father?
5. Who was the husband of Mary Rowlandson?
(a) Rev. Joseph Rowlandson.
(b) Rev. James Rowlandson.
(c) Rev. Andrew Rowlandson.
(d) Rev. Henry Rowlandson.
6. The white population of New England totaled about how many people at the start of King Philip's War?
7. What book did Jill Lepore publish in 2002?
(a) A is for American: Letters and Other Characters in the Newly United States.
(b) Encounters in the New World: A History in Documents.
(c) Blindspot: A Novel.
(d) The Whites of Their Eyes: The Tea Party's Revolution and the Battle over American History.
8. When was the Indian Removal Act signed into law?
(a) May 28, 1830.
(b) March 12, 1865.
(c) September 1, 1825.
(d) May 2, 1818.
9. The money that ransomed Mary Rowlandson was paid by whom?
(b) James Printer.
(c) Joshua Tift.
(d) John Hoar.
10. What tribe was Mary Rowlandson kidnapped by?
(a) The Nipmuck tribe.
(b) The Apache tribe.
(c) The Cherokee tribe.
(d) The Mohegan tribe.
11. On what date was Metamora; or, The Last of the Wampanoags first performed?
(a) December 12, 1833.
(b) December 15, 1829.
(c) November 30, 1802.
(d) September 16, 1922.
12. When was Andrew Jackson born?
13. Who was held captive by the Narragansetts, though he was hanged and quartered for treason?
(a) John Hoar.
(b) Increase Mather.
(c) James Printer.
(d) Joshua Tift.
14. The Mahican people were historically located in what region?
(a) Western Canada.
(b) The Deep South.
(c) The Hudson Valley.
(d) The Delaware Valley.
15. Jill Lepore is a contributing writer for what publication?
(a) Writer's Weekly.
(b) Art in America.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) National Educational Review.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did Mary Rowlandson write about her capture by Native Americans?
2. Historians know little of what happened to King Philip's son except that he was sold into slavery and probably shipped where?
3. How many weeks of captivity did Mary Rowlandson experience before being released on ransom?
4. Jill Lepore earned a B.A. in English at what university?
5. Who strongly opposed selling Indians into slavery, arguing that slavery was worse than death?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)