|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Bartholomew de Las Casas born?
2. Where was William Charles Macready born?
(a) New York, NY.
(b) Bern, Switzerland.
(c) London, England.
(d) Philadelphia, PA.
3. What book did Jill Lepore publish in 2010?
(a) The Whites of Their Eyes: The Tea Party's Revolution and the Battle over American History.
(b) Blindspot: A Novel.
(c) Encounters in the New World: A History in Documents.
(d) A is for American: Letters and Other Characters in the Newly United States.
4. Who strongly opposed selling Indians into slavery, arguing that slavery was worse than death?
(a) John Alderman.
(b) King Philip.
(c) John Eliot.
(d) Increase Mather.
5. What refers to the name of a geographical feature in an official or well-established language occurring in that area where the feature is located?
6. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay was etched before what year, according to the author in the Epilogue?
7. Who originated the Narragansett cultural revival?
(a) King Alexander.
(d) Princess Red Wing.
8. What book did Jill Lepore publish in 2002?
(a) Blindspot: A Novel.
(b) The Whites of Their Eyes: The Tea Party's Revolution and the Battle over American History.
(c) A is for American: Letters and Other Characters in the Newly United States.
(d) Encounters in the New World: A History in Documents.
9. The rock on the shore of Mount Hope Bay may have been etched by what tribe of Indians who visited New England to work out land claims and made a pilgrimage to Mount Hope?
(a) The Penobscot people.
(b) The Ouachita people.
(c) The Cherokee people.
(d) The Mohegan people.
10. Cambridge University Press was granted letters patent by Henry VIII in what year?
11. When was Mary Rowlandson born?
12. When was Benjamin Church born?
13. Jill Lepore's book, New York Burning: Liberty, Slavery and Conspiracy in Eighteenth-Century Manhattan, was a finalist for what award?
(a) The Pulitzer Prize in History.
(b) The Bancroft Prize in History.
(c) The Bancroft Prize in Literature.
(d) The Pulitzer Prize in Literature.
14. To whom did Captain Church give a hand of the deceased King Philip?
(a) John Alderman.
(b) William Hubbard.
(c) John Sassamon.
(d) Richard Callicot.
15. What was the name of King Philip's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which tribe of Native Americans, in the 17th century, inhabited much of what is now Connecticut?
2. Benjamin Church is considered the father of what?
3. On what date was Mary Rowlandson kidnapped?
4. Jill Lepore earned a B.A. in English at what university?
5. When was Bartholomew de Las Casas born?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)