|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Increase Mather was the youngest of how many brothers?
2. When did the Pequot War begin?
3. According to the author in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?, due to their great losses, many New England colonists thought God was punishing them for their failure to do what?
(a) Maintain purity.
(b) Kill all of the Indians.
(c) Remain loyal to the Crown.
(d) Convert the Indians to Christianity.
4. Who was fiercely competitive with William Hubbard and even campaigned to discredit Hubbard's account of the war?
(a) John Sassamon.
(b) William Hubbard.
(c) Richard Callicot.
(d) Increase Mather.
5. Who is credited with the founding of Medfield, Massachusetts?
(a) John Alderman.
(b) William Hubbard.
(c) Rev. Ralph Wheelock.
(d) Richard Callicot.
6. Where was Increase Mather born?
(a) Boston, MA.
(b) Dorchester, MA.
(c) Bern, Switzerland.
(d) London, England.
7. King Philip's War began in June of what year?
8. When the Puritans came to America, the Algonquians were thought to be what?
9. When was Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians published?
10. John Eliot's efforts as a missionary earned him what nickname?
(a) "The Indian apostle".
(b) "The Christian apostle".
(c) "The White apostle".
(d) "Saint Eliot".
11. According to the author, accounts of King Philip's War that were apocalyptic, with some being sermons, were mostly printed where?
(a) Boston and Cambridge.
(b) New York.
(c) London and New York.
(d) London and Paris.
12. What has been described as a law whose content is set by nature and is thus universal?
(a) Earth Law.
(b) Natural Law.
(c) The Law of Gravity.
(d) Human Law.
13. What is the name of a group of Algonquian Indians native to Worcester County, Massachusetts?
(a) The Narragansett tribe.
(b) The Mohegan tribe.
(c) The Pocomtuc tribe.
(d) The Nipmuc tribe.
14. What is a domed room dwelling used by certain Native American tribes?
15. When was Increase Mather born?
Short Answer Questions
1. A Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians was published in what year?
2. Who served as governor of Plymouth Colony from 1673 to 1680?
3. When was John Eliot born?
4. One house, known as what, was burnt in King Philip's War but was rebuilt shortly thereafter near downtown Medfield, Massachusetts?
5. The Eighty Years' War took place when?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)