|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to the author, is in many ways a simple tool and is often controlled by the powerful, because it can be used to change minds?
(c) Voting rights.
2. When was Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians published?
3. The colonists lost about how many men in the Great Swamp Fight?
4. Passaconaway is said to have died in what year?
5. At what age did Hugo Grotius publish his first book?
6. The sachem Metacomet was also known by what name?
(a) King Uncas.
(b) King Philip.
(c) King Seminole.
(d) King Alexander.
7. When was Nathaniel Saltonstall born?
8. In 1600, the population of the Wampanoag numbered approximately how many members?
9. King Philip's War began in June of what year?
10. When did the Pequot War begin?
11. The colonists considered news distributed by whom to be the least reliable, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
(a) The Indians.
(b) Boston newspapers.
(c) The English.
(d) Cambridge newspapers.
12. A prodigious learner, Hugo Grotius entered the University of Leiden when he was how old?
13. Nathaniel Saltonstall was selected as a judge for what specific court responsible for the trial and sentence of people for the crime of witchcraft in Massachusetts during the Salem Witch Trials?
(a) Court of Oyer and Terminer.
(b) Court of Franklin and Boston.
(c) Court of Anderson and Overlay.
(d) Court of Salem, Massachusetts.
14. The witnesses who testified against Sassamon's accused killers were Patuckson and who?
15. What was the name of the Algonquian language?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hugo Grotius die?
2. According to the author, many colonists found it hard to write about the war, such as what individual who felt totally devastated by his experience of the burning of Springfield?
3. What were the villages of Christian Indians called?
4. When was Increase Mather born?
5. Eliot emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts, arriving on November 3 of what year?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)