|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a domed room dwelling used by certain Native American tribes?
2. The sachem Metacomet was also known by what name?
(a) King Uncas.
(b) King Philip.
(c) King Alexander.
(d) King Seminole.
3. In the Prologue, the author describes King Philip's War as being almost over in what year?
4. What standard picture of New England during the war, including landscapes of ash, farms destroyed, and bodies without heads did Nathaniel Saltonstall write?
(a) "True but Brief Account of our Losses."
(b) "An Account of King Philip's War."
(c) "A Brief Account of New England."
(d) "A History of the Great War."
5. In the Great Swamp Fight, it is believed that the militia killed about how many Narragansetts?
6. A prodigious learner, Hugo Grotius entered the University of Leiden when he was how old?
7. Who was the first Englishman to learn the Algonquian language?
(a) William Hubbard.
(b) Increase Mather.
(c) John Sassamon.
(d) John Eliot.
8. According to the author, many colonists found it hard to write about the war, such as what individual who felt totally devastated by his experience of the burning of Springfield?
(a) William Hubbard.
(b) John Pynchon.
(c) John Alderman.
(d) Richard Callicot.
9. Passaconaway is said to have died in what year?
10. According to the author, the colonists thought the powwaws received their orders from whom?
(a) The Devil.
11. According to the author in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?, due to their great losses, many New England colonists thought God was punishing them for their failure to do what?
(a) Remain loyal to the Crown.
(b) Maintain purity.
(c) Convert the Indians to Christianity.
(d) Kill all of the Indians.
12. The first English settlers arrived in what year, when Sassamon's parents may have welcomed them?
13. According to the author, sometimes maps of New England marked English territory with small houses and churches and marked Indian territories with what?
14. When was Nathaniel Saltonstall born?
15. What region was the main site of conflict during King Philip's War?
(a) Northern Canada.
(b) Northern New England.
(c) Eastern Canada.
(d) Southern New England.
Short Answer Questions
1. The colonists lost about how many men in the Great Swamp Fight?
2. A Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians was published in what year?
3. What book did William Hubbard write at the order of the Colonial government, which paid him 50 pounds for it?
4. Where was Increase Mather born?
5. John Sassamon was born circa what year?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)