Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is very likely that John Sassamon was adopted or indentured to the family of whom?
(a) William Hubbard.
(b) Increase Mather.
(c) John Alderman.
(d) Richard Callicot.
2. Where was William Hubbard born?
(a) New York, NY.
(c) Philadelphia, PA.
(d) New Brunswick, Canada.
3. How many accounts of King Philip's War represent several types of writing aimed at different audiences, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
4. When was A Brief History of the War with the Indians in New-England published?
5. Who is credited with the founding of Medfield, Massachusetts?
(a) William Hubbard.
(b) Rev. Ralph Wheelock.
(c) Richard Callicot.
(d) John Alderman.
6. In 1600 the Wampanoag lived primarily in what two states?
(a) Kentucky and Delaware.
(b) Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
(c) New York and Pennsylvania.
(d) New Jersey and New York.
7. What is the name of an Algonquian Native American tribe from Rhode Island?
(a) The Nipmuc tribe.
(b) The Narragansett tribe.
(c) The Mohegan tribe.
(d) The Pocomtuc tribe.
8. Passaconaway was believed to have been born between 1550 and when?
9. John Eliot's efforts as a missionary earned him what nickname?
(a) "Saint Eliot".
(b) "The Christian apostle".
(c) "The Indian apostle".
(d) "The White apostle".
10. The colonists considered news distributed by whom to be the least reliable, according to the author in Part One, Language, Chapter 2, The Story of It Printed?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The English.
(c) Boston newspapers.
(d) Cambridge newspapers.
11. Passaconaway is a name which translates to what in English?
(a) "The Great Bear".
(b) "The Great Antelope".
(c) "Wolf of Night".
(d) "Child of the Bear".
12. When did Nathaniel Saltonstall die?
13. When was William Hubbard born?
14. A prodigious learner, Hugo Grotius entered the University of Leiden when he was how old?
15. Nathaniel Saltonstall was selected as a judge for what specific court responsible for the trial and sentence of people for the crime of witchcraft in Massachusetts during the Salem Witch Trials?
(a) Court of Anderson and Overlay.
(b) Court of Salem, Massachusetts.
(c) Court of Oyer and Terminer.
(d) Court of Franklin and Boston.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Algonquian language?
2. According to the author, many colonists found it hard to write about the war, such as what individual who felt totally devastated by his experience of the burning of Springfield?
3. According to the author, accounts of King Philip's War that were apocalyptic, with some being sermons, were mostly printed where?
4. According to the author in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?, due to their great losses, many New England colonists thought God was punishing them for their failure to do what?
5. Passaconaway is said to have died in what year?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)