|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eliot emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts, arriving on November 3 of what year?
2. When was Increase Mather born?
3. What was a Native American tribe formerly inhabiting western Massachusetts, especially around the confluence of the Deerfield and Connecticut Rivers in Franklin County?
(a) The Narragansett tribe.
(b) The Nipmuc tribe.
(c) The Pocomtuc tribe.
(d) The Mohegan tribe.
4. According to the author, sometimes maps of New England marked English territory with small houses and churches and marked Indian territories with what?
5. In the Great Swamp Fight, it is believed that the militia killed about how many Narragansetts?
6. Medfield, Massachusetts, was first settled in what year?
7. At what age did Hugo Grotius publish his first book?
8. What university did John Eliot attend?
(a) Yale University.
(b) Oxford College.
(c) Harvard University.
(d) Jesus College, Cambridge.
9. The three men who were accused as the killers of Sassamon were Mattashunannamo, Tobias, and his son, who was named what?
10. Where was Nathaniel Saltonstall born?
(a) Cambridge, MA.
(b) Boston, MA.
(c) New York, NY.
(d) Ipswich, MA.
11. John Eliot's efforts as a missionary earned him what nickname?
(a) "The White apostle".
(b) "The Christian apostle".
(c) "Saint Eliot".
(d) "The Indian apostle".
12. John Sassamon was born circa what year?
13. Before Europeans came into contact, most Algonquian settlements lived by what means?
(a) Stealing from other tribes.
(b) Growing plantations for cotton.
(c) Hunting and fishing.
(d) Growing massive gardens.
14. In 1600 the Wampanoag lived primarily in what two states?
(a) New York and Pennsylvania.
(b) New Jersey and New York.
(c) Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
(d) Kentucky and Delaware.
15. What is the name of an Algonquian Native American tribe from Rhode Island?
(a) The Nipmuc tribe.
(b) The Narragansett tribe.
(c) The Mohegan tribe.
(d) The Pocomtuc tribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?, due to their great losses, many New England colonists thought God was punishing them for their failure to do what?
2. According to the author, the colonists thought the powwaws received their orders from whom?
3. On what date did the Narragansetts attack Providence, destroying it?
4. Passaconaway is a name which translates to what in English?
5. Who wrote Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)