|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the 1670s the powwaws of many tribes encouraged war in order to do what?
(a) Preserve the Indian way of life.
(b) Appease the gods.
(c) Purify their blood.
(d) Eradicate the colonists.
2. The sachem Metacomet was also known by what name?
(a) King Uncas.
(b) King Philip.
(c) King Seminole.
(d) King Alexander.
3. The first English settlers arrived in what year, when Sassamon's parents may have welcomed them?
4. The witnesses who testified against Sassamon's accused killers were Patuckson and who?
5. In the Prologue, the author describes King Philip's War as being almost over in what year?
6. The Eighty Years' War took place when?
7. When the Puritans came to America, the Algonquians were thought to be what?
8. A Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians was published in what year?
9. A prodigious learner, Hugo Grotius entered the University of Leiden when he was how old?
10. The colonists lost about how many men in the Great Swamp Fight?
11. William Hubbard graduated Harvard in what year?
12. Who is thought to have mentored John Sassamon?
(a) Increase Mather.
(b) John Eliot.
(c) John Alderman.
(d) James Williams.
13. When was the book A Relation of the Troubles which Have Hapned in New-England by Reason of the Indians There from the Year 1614 to the Year 1675 published?
14. How many houses in Medfield, Massachusetts, were destroyed by Native Americans during King Philip's War in 1675?
15. What region was the main site of conflict during King Philip's War?
(a) Northern Canada.
(b) Eastern Canada.
(c) Northern New England.
(d) Southern New England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a Native American tribe formerly inhabiting western Massachusetts, especially around the confluence of the Deerfield and Connecticut Rivers in Franklin County?
2. What were the villages of Christian Indians called?
3. What word means "shaman" in the language of the Narragansett?
4. Where was Nathaniel Saltonstall born?
5. Metacomet was a war chief or sachem of what Indian tribe?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)