|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word means "shaman" in the language of the Narragansett?
2. Passaconaway is a name which translates to what in English?
(a) "The Great Bear".
(b) "Wolf of Night".
(c) "The Great Antelope".
(d) "Child of the Bear".
3. William Hubbard was the pastor of the Congregational church located where?
(a) Ipswich, MA.
(b) New York, NY.
(c) Boston, MA.
(d) Salem, MA.
4. What was the name of the Algonquian language?
5. The witnesses who testified against Sassamon's accused killers were Patuckson and who?
6. What has been described as a law whose content is set by nature and is thus universal?
(a) Earth Law.
(b) The Law of Gravity.
(c) Natural Law.
(d) Human Law.
7. Who is thought to have mentored John Sassamon?
(a) Increase Mather.
(b) John Eliot.
(c) John Alderman.
(d) James Williams.
8. Who wrote Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians?
(a) Increase Mather.
(b) John Alderman.
(c) John Sassamon.
(d) William Hubbard.
9. In the Great Swamp Fight, it is believed that the militia killed about how many Narragansetts?
10. When was Nathaniel Saltonstall born?
11. Passaconaway was a powerful medicine man and sachem of what tribe?
(a) The Penacook tribe.
(b) The Mohegan tribe.
(c) The Cherokee tribe.
(d) The Mohawk tribe.
12. What was a Native American tribe formerly inhabiting western Massachusetts, especially around the confluence of the Deerfield and Connecticut Rivers in Franklin County?
(a) The Mohegan tribe.
(b) The Nipmuc tribe.
(c) The Narragansett tribe.
(d) The Pocomtuc tribe.
13. One house, known as what, was burnt in King Philip's War but was rebuilt shortly thereafter near downtown Medfield, Massachusetts?
(a) The Peak House.
(b) The Orchard House.
(c) The Medfield Mansion.
(d) The Boston House.
14. Metacomet was a war chief or sachem of what Indian tribe?
(a) The Wampanoag people.
(b) The Ouachita tribe.
(c) The Mohegan people.
(d) The Mahican people.
15. When was Increase Mather born?
Short Answer Questions
1. A Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians was published in what year?
2. What is the oldest municipality in New England and one of the oldest in the United States?
3. The three men who were accused as the killers of Sassamon were Mattashunannamo, Tobias, and his son, who was named what?
4. Before Europeans came into contact, most Algonquian settlements lived by what means?
5. The colonists lost about how many men in the Great Swamp Fight?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)