|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Prologue, the author describes King Philip's War as being almost over in what year?
2. The colonists lost about how many men in the Great Swamp Fight?
3. It is very likely that John Sassamon was adopted or indentured to the family of whom?
(a) Increase Mather.
(b) John Alderman.
(c) William Hubbard.
(d) Richard Callicot.
4. Passaconaway was a powerful medicine man and sachem of what tribe?
(a) The Cherokee tribe.
(b) The Mohegan tribe.
(c) The Penacook tribe.
(d) The Mohawk tribe.
5. The Eighty Years' War took place when?
6. According to the author, accounts of King Philip's War that were apocalyptic, with some being sermons, were mostly printed where?
(a) Boston and Cambridge.
(b) London and New York.
(c) London and Paris.
(d) New York.
7. King Philip's War began in June of what year?
8. When was Nathaniel Saltonstall born?
9. What were hideous to the colonists and were assigned to the Indians, according to the author?
10. Who is credited with the founding of Medfield, Massachusetts?
(a) William Hubbard.
(b) Rev. Ralph Wheelock.
(c) Richard Callicot.
(d) John Alderman.
11. In the 1670s the powwaws of many tribes encouraged war in order to do what?
(a) Eradicate the colonists.
(b) Purify their blood.
(c) Preserve the Indian way of life.
(d) Appease the gods.
12. What is defined as an uncivilized or barbaric state or condition?
13. Passaconaway was believed to have been born between 1550 and when?
14. One house, known as what, was burnt in King Philip's War but was rebuilt shortly thereafter near downtown Medfield, Massachusetts?
(a) The Peak House.
(b) The Medfield Mansion.
(c) The Boston House.
(d) The Orchard House.
15. William Hubbard was the pastor of the Congregational church located where?
(a) Salem, MA.
(b) New York, NY.
(c) Boston, MA.
(d) Ipswich, MA.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eliot emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts, arriving on November 3 of what year?
2. When did Nathaniel Saltonstall die?
3. Passaconaway is said to have died in what year?
4. Medfield, Massachusetts, was first settled in what year?
5. Who was the first Englishman to learn the Algonquian language?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)