|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the oldest municipality in New England and one of the oldest in the United States?
(d) Hope Bay.
2. What was a Native American tribe formerly inhabiting western Massachusetts, especially around the confluence of the Deerfield and Connecticut Rivers in Franklin County?
(a) The Mohegan tribe.
(b) The Pocomtuc tribe.
(c) The Nipmuc tribe.
(d) The Narragansett tribe.
3. What, according to the author, is in many ways a simple tool and is often controlled by the powerful, because it can be used to change minds?
(a) Voting rights.
4. A Narrative of the Troubles with the Indians was published in what year?
5. What were hideous to the colonists and were assigned to the Indians, according to the author?
6. What word means "shaman" in the language of the Narragansett?
7. Where was John Sassamon born?
(a) Near current Washington, D.C.
(b) Near current New York, NY.
(c) Near current Boston, MA.
(d) Near current Canton, MA.
8. When was William Hubbard born?
9. William Hubbard graduated Harvard in what year?
10. When was Increase Mather born?
11. What does the author say represented filth and chaos to the Puritans in Chapter 4, Where is Your O God?
(a) Drinking alcohol.
(b) The letting of blood.
(c) Eating chicken.
(d) Eating pork.
12. The sachem Metacomet was also known by what name?
(a) King Philip.
(b) King Seminole.
(c) King Uncas.
(d) King Alexander.
13. John Eliot's efforts as a missionary earned him what nickname?
(a) "The Indian apostle".
(b) "Saint Eliot".
(c) "The White apostle".
(d) "The Christian apostle".
14. What book did William Hubbard write at the order of the Colonial government, which paid him 50 pounds for it?
(a) An Account of the Great Swamp Battle.
(b) A History of England.
(c) A History of the Northwest.
(d) A History of New England.
15. What has been described as a law whose content is set by nature and is thus universal?
(a) Earth Law.
(b) The Law of Gravity.
(c) Natural Law.
(d) Human Law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is thought to have mentored John Sassamon?
2. The colonists lost about how many men in the Great Swamp Fight?
3. One house, known as what, was burnt in King Philip's War but was rebuilt shortly thereafter near downtown Medfield, Massachusetts?
4. Metacomet was a war chief or sachem of what Indian tribe?
5. What region was the main site of conflict during King Philip's War?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)