* In 1676, King Philip's War was almost over, and the English had united with several Indian tribes to fight several others who wished to eliminate the English colonies.
* Many Puritans left New England in the 1630s and 1640s though some stayed on, and it was unclear what they would become, being closer in proximity to the Indians than to the English.
* Many Algonquians feared the colonists due to their ties to the English, who had taken Indian land, disrupted trade systems, and corrupted the power of native rulers.
* "King Philip" or the sachem Metacomet believed that too many Indians were become English and Christian.
* King Philip's War began in June 1675 when the Wampanoags, Narragansetts, Nipmuchs, Pocomtucks and Abenakis attacked dozens of English towns.
* The English fought back with occasional help from the Mohegan, Pequot, Mohawk and Christian Indians; both sides tortured the living and mutilated the dead.
This section contains 2,354 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)