|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William tell Adso to do in ‘Fifth Day’?
2. What does the abbot give a lecture on in ‘Sixth Day’?
3. What almost happens to William and Adso in ‘Seventh Day’?
4. What inspired Adso’s vision?
5. What area of the library are the men looking for in ‘Fourth Day’?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the librarian when he is done with his job?
2. What might be ‘dangerous’ about the book’s contents?
3. What does Salvatore expect his story to inspire in Adso?
4. Who starts the fire at the abbey?
5. What does William think about the relics?
6. How does William protect himself from the book in ‘Seventh Day’?
7. What is William’s response to the fire?
8. Who does Bernard Gui (Bernardo Guido) accuse of the murders in ‘Fourth Day’?
9. What is unusual about Berengar’s corpse?
10. Where were William’s eyeglasses in ‘Fourth Day’?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stories of journeys can often be read metaphorically, as stories of personal growth. What is the significance of Adso’s youth, particularly in comparison with other characters? How does he develop? In what ways is he similar to the other novices, and in what ways is he different from them? Does he desire to change, or does this happen against his will? How is he different when he writes the book from when the events took place?
Essay Topic 2
The abbot and William finally end up at odds with one another. Why does the abbot wish William to stop investigating and leave? Compare and contrast the two men’s characters and their ultimate fates.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Dominican order with the Franciscan order. What different beliefs do the two orders espouse? What might they have in common? What political causes might be linked to the different orders?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)