|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about Malachi’s body?
2. What machine does William speak of for finding their way in ‘Third Day’?
3. What problem does the fire present?
4. With whom is William hostile in ‘Fourth Day’?
5. Where is Berengar found in ‘Third Day’?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does William think about the book in Arabic?
2. Where were William’s eyeglasses in ‘Fourth Day’?
3. What is William’s response to the fire?
4. Who replaces the librarian?
5. What might be ‘dangerous’ about the book’s form?
6. Who starts the fire at the abbey?
7. What is Benno scared of in ‘Sixth Day’?
8. What does William try to illustrate by talking about the river?
9. In ‘Fifth Day,’ who has taken the book?
10. What is Benno mostly ignorant of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The abbot and William finally end up at odds with one another. Why does the abbot wish William to stop investigating and leave? Compare and contrast the two men’s characters and their ultimate fates.
Essay Topic 2
Adso is our narrator for most of the book. Is he the protagonist of the story? How can we define a protagonist? If he is not, who is – and why?
Essay Topic 3
The library’s organization is nearly impossible for the protagonists to figure out. Describe the organization of the library, as well as the books contained therein. Why is the term “Finis Africae” significant? Who keeps the library, and why is this a significant role?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)