|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person from the monks that the men meet in ‘First Day’?
2. In ‘Second Day,’ where does William tell the abbot they were?
3. What is the first monk Adso and William meet looking for?
4. Who did Louis see as his allies?
5. What is stolen from William?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the monks debate at the first dinner?
2. Who does William already know at the abbey in ‘First Day’?
3. Who originally translated the book?
4. How did Venantius die?
5. Why is Jorge so unnerving?
6. What is William’s mission at the abbey?
7. How does it look like Venantius died?
8. What does Berengar think he saw in ‘Second Day’?
9. Who, in ‘Second Day,’ reveals that the library is a labyrinth?
10. Where did Adso meet William?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The library’s organization is nearly impossible for the protagonists to figure out. Describe the organization of the library, as well as the books contained therein. Why is the term “Finis Africae” significant? Who keeps the library, and why is this a significant role?
Essay Topic 2
A variety of languages, from Provençal to English to Latin, are used throughout the book. What is the significance of language in the novel? How do the “Italians” separate themselves from the others, and why is this important? How might reading this text in translation help us? Why did Eco not translate certain parts of French, Latin, and other languages found in the text?
Essay Topic 3
William is fascinated by machines and makes particular reference to some new inventions. What inventions does he mention? How does he treat them? What are the other monks’ reactions to these inventions? What is their greater, symbolic significance for the text?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)