|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Abo?
2. In what year do the events of the book take place?
3. What position has William held before?
4. Who is a mystery to Adso?
5. When is Adso writing this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does William already know at the abbey in ‘First Day’?
2. Who originally translated the book?
3. Where did the narrator find confirmation of the book’s veracity?
4. How did the narrator originally lose his copy of the book?
5. How did Venantius die?
6. What must the men pass through to reach the library at night?
7. Who is the Pope at the time of the events in the novel?
8. How does Adso feel about ‘modern’ life?
9. Who is the Emperor at the time of the events in the novel?
10. Why is Adso allowed to sit away from the novices in ‘First Day’?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adso believes himself to be in love with the woman in the kitchen. Why does he believe this? How does this affect him? In what ways might this be a positive thing, and in what ways negative? How does he view the experience from his advanced age?
Essay Topic 2
Ubertino flees the abbey when the two rival factions arrive. Why is this the case? What does he fear losing? What might he gain by leaving? How does this tie in with larger political threads of the story?
Essay Topic 3
A variety of languages, from Provençal to English to Latin, are used throughout the book. What is the significance of language in the novel? How do the “Italians” separate themselves from the others, and why is this important? How might reading this text in translation help us? Why did Eco not translate certain parts of French, Latin, and other languages found in the text?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)