|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does William want to go that night in ‘Second Day’?
2. What will the monks debate in the discussions to take place?
3. Who is Ubertino obsessed with?
4. At the time this book was written, who was the Pope?
5. Who is Abo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things disappear from Venantius’s desk in ‘Second Day’?
2. How does Adso feel about ‘modern’ life?
3. What does William help the Cellarer to find?
4. Who is the Emperor at the time of the events in the novel?
5. Who does William already know at the abbey in ‘First Day’?
6. What does Berengar think he saw in ‘Second Day’?
7. Why is Adso allowed to sit away from the novices in ‘First Day’?
8. How does it look like Venantius died?
9. Where did Adso meet William?
10. What is William’s mission at the abbey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The physical buildings of the abbey are described in great detail, and shown to be resplendent. Eco even includes two maps of various structures. What literary significance do the buildings themselves have? How do they affect the story? Focus particularly on the library itself, as well as the ensuing fire.
Essay Topic 2
The monks debate the role of women at great length. What are the different attitudes towards women? Does Adso agree with these views? Discuss his views in tandem with his encounter with the young girl in the kitchen.
Essay Topic 3
Ubertino flees the abbey when the two rival factions arrive. Why is this the case? What does he fear losing? What might he gain by leaving? How does this tie in with larger political threads of the story?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)