|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Compline take place?
2. Who is Abo?
3. What does Berengar think he saw in ‘Second Day’?
4. What area of the abbey is forbidden to William?
5. In what year do the events of the book take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Adso meet William?
2. When does Adso write his manuscript?
3. What do the monks debate at the first dinner?
4. How does Adso feel about ‘modern’ life?
5. What must the men pass through to reach the library at night?
6. Where did the narrator find confirmation of the book’s veracity?
7. Why is Jorge so unnerving?
8. Who is the Pope at the time of the events in the novel?
9. What does Berengar think he saw in ‘Second Day’?
10. What is William fascinated by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The library’s organization is nearly impossible for the protagonists to figure out. Describe the organization of the library, as well as the books contained therein. Why is the term “Finis Africae” significant? Who keeps the library, and why is this a significant role?
Essay Topic 2
The abbey is organized according to strict power hierarchies. What are these hierarchies? How can characters move among them? What kind of actions, and feelings, do these hierarchies provoke? In what ways are they positive? Dangerous?
Essay Topic 3
A variety of languages, from Provençal to English to Latin, are used throughout the book. What is the significance of language in the novel? How do the “Italians” separate themselves from the others, and why is this important? How might reading this text in translation help us? Why did Eco not translate certain parts of French, Latin, and other languages found in the text?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)