|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about Berengar’s body when it is examined?
(a) His fingers are black.
(b) He has been beheaded.
(c) His fingers have been amputated.
(d) His tongue is black.
2. What metaphor does William use in ‘Third Day’ to describe heresy?
(a) A river.
(b) A tree.
(c) The forest.
(d) The ocean.
3. What does Malachi do during the service in ‘Sixth Day’?
(a) Gives a sermon.
(b) Sways and collapses.
(c) Participates fully.
(d) Laughs aloud.
4. What does Adso do after his encounter in the kitchen?
(a) He eats.
(b) He confesses to William.
(c) He goes after the girl.
(d) He traps the thief.
5. What was the reason the monks who have been killed during The Name of the Rose actually died?
(a) Because they had read the book.
(b) Because they were evil.
(c) Because they were sinners.
(d) Because they were heretics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William ask Severinus in ‘Fourth Day’?
2. What does Adso read on his own in ‘Fourth Day’?
3. How was Severinus murdered?
4. What happens to Ubertino?
5. What does the abbot give a lecture on in ‘Sixth Day’?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be ‘dangerous’ about the book’s form?
2. What are William and Adso searching for in the laboratory in ‘Fifth Day’?
3. Who replaces the librarian?
4. What is Benno scared of in ‘Sixth Day’?
5. What happens to Benno in ‘Fifth Day’?
6. What is William’s response to the fire?
7. What code is used in Venantius’s book?
8. What makes the Cellarer ‘confess’?
9. What does William think about the relics?
10. How does William protect himself from the book in ‘Seventh Day’?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)