|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Abbot withhold some information in ‘First Day’?
(a) He doesn't know the information.
(b) He has forgotten the information.
(c) He is uncertain of the information.
(d) It was told to him in confession.
2. At that time this book was written, who was the Emperor?
3. What is the bulk of the monastery called?
(a) The Aedificium.
(b) The labyrinth.
(c) The hall.
(d) The library.
4. What do Jorge and William debate in ‘Second Day’?
(a) The role of laughter in religion.
(b) The purpose of poverty in religion.
(c) Which sect has the most heretics.
(d) The role of the church.
5. When was sunset in the Prologue?
(a) Around 4:30 p.m.
(b) At 6 p.m.
(c) At 7 p.m.
(d) At 9 p.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Adso hallucinate in the library?
2. How does William know what he tells the Cellarer in ‘First Day’?
3. When does Compline take place?
4. When are Adso and William traveling in ‘First Day’?
5. Where do William and Adso go to investigate in ‘Second Day’?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Emperor at the time of the events in the novel?
2. What is William fascinated by?
3. What is William’s first conclusion about Adso’s death?
4. Who originally translated the book?
5. What is William’s mission at the abbey?
6. When does Adso write his manuscript?
7. What two things disappear from Venantius’s desk in ‘Second Day’?
8. What do the monks debate at the first dinner?
9. Who does William already know at the abbey in ‘First Day’?
10. How does it look like Venantius died?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)