|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what order did Brother William belong?
2. In the Preface, what language is the current narrator writing in?
3. Where is Adso from originally?
4. What do Jorge and William debate in ‘Second Day’?
(a) The purpose of poverty in religion.
(b) The role of the church.
(c) The role of laughter in religion.
(d) Which sect has the most heretics.
5. Where is the corpse found in ‘Second Day’?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the vat of pig's blood.
(c) In the scriptorium.
(d) In bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Benno recommend William search in ‘Second Day’?
2. Why does Adso hallucinate in the library?
3. What does William question Severinus about in ‘Second Day’?
4. What position has William held before?
5. To which monastery did Adso belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Benno reveal about Adelmo?
2. Why is Jorge so unnerving?
3. How does Salvatore speak?
4. Who is the Pope at the time of the events in the novel?
5. How did Venantius die?
6. Who does William already know at the abbey in ‘First Day’?
7. What is William’s mission at the abbey?
8. What do the monks debate at the first dinner?
9. What must the men pass through to reach the library at night?
10. Who originally translated the book?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)