|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What area of the abbey is forbidden to William?
(a) The church.
(b) The gardens.
(c) The scriptorium.
(d) The library.
2. What is William’s nationality?
3. To which monastery did Adso belong?
(a) The Monastery of Melk.
(b) The Monastery of Vallé.
(c) The Monastery of Munich.
(d) The Monastery of Cluny.
4. What is Severinus’s job at the abbey?
5. Who is Ubertino obsessed with?
(a) The virgin Mary.
(b) Clare of Montefalco.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person from the monks that the men meet in ‘First Day’?
2. Whom did Adso accompany on his travels?
3. When are Adso and William traveling in ‘First Day’?
4. Where was the apostolic seat?
5. What does Berengar think he saw in ‘Second Day’?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who, in ‘Second Day,’ reveals that the library is a labyrinth?
2. What is William’s mission at the abbey?
3. How does Adso feel about ‘modern’ life?
4. What does Benno reveal about Adelmo?
5. Who is the Pope at the time of the events in the novel?
6. What two things disappear from Venantius’s desk in ‘Second Day’?
7. Why is Jorge so unnerving?
8. What do the monks debate at the first dinner?
9. How did Venantius die?
10. What is William fascinated by?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)