|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In ‘Second Day,’ where does William tell the abbot they were?
(a) In the scriptorium.
(b) Pursing a trail.
(c) Following some signs.
(d) In the library.
2. When is the narrator now writing, according to the Preface?
3. What area of the abbey is forbidden to William?
(a) The library.
(b) The church.
(c) The gardens.
(d) The scriptorium.
4. Why does Adso hallucinate in the library?
(a) William makes him hallucinate.
(b) From the herbs he has taken.
(c) He has fallen asleep.
(d) Because of the lamp that is left out.
5. When does Compline take place?
(a) Between 2:30 and 3:30a.m.
(b) At 4:30 p.m.
(c) Around 6 p.m.
(d) Before 7 p.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises the Cellarer in ‘First Day’?
2. Who is Ubertino obsessed with?
3. To which monastery did Adso belong?
4. Who is a mystery to Adso?
5. What is missing from Venantius’s desk in ‘Second Day’?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must the men pass through to reach the library at night?
2. What is William fascinated by?
3. What does William help the Cellarer to find?
4. Why is Jorge so unnerving?
5. What is William’s mission at the abbey?
6. Why is Adso allowed to sit away from the novices in ‘First Day’?
7. Who, in ‘Second Day,’ reveals that the library is a labyrinth?
8. Where did Adso meet William?
9. What does Berengar think he saw in ‘Second Day’?
10. What does Benno reveal about Adelmo?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)