|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the Cellarer in ‘First Day’?
(a) That William knows so much about the horse.
(b) That William has deigned to come to visit them.
(c) That William and Adso have arrived so early.
(d) That they are there at all.
2. In what form is the monastery constructed?
(a) An octogon.
(b) A rectangle.
(c) A triangle.
(d) A square.
3. What do Jorge and William debate in ‘Second Day’?
(a) The role of the church.
(b) The role of laughter in religion.
(c) Which sect has the most heretics.
(d) The purpose of poverty in religion.
4. What does William question Severinus about in ‘Second Day’?
(a) The history of Greek.
(b) One particular book.
5. When is the narrator now writing, according to the Preface?
6. Why does the Abbot withhold some information in ‘First Day’?
(a) He has forgotten the information.
(b) He is uncertain of the information.
(c) He doesn't know the information.
(d) It was told to him in confession.
7. How does Salvatore speak?
(a) In a mixture of different languages.
(b) In Italian.
(c) He is mute.
(d) In Latin.
8. What does Berengar think he saw in ‘Second Day’?
(a) Adelmo's ghost.
(b) Benno’s ghost.
(c) Adelmo alive.
(d) Benno alive.
9. What is stolen from William?
(a) His compass.
(b) His own book.
(c) His light.
(d) His glasses.
10. What does Benno imply about Berengar?
(a) That he is homosexual.
(b) That they are in love.
(c) That he is evil.
(d) That he has had relations with women.
11. Who is Ubertino obsessed with?
(b) Clare of Montefalco.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) The virgin Mary.
12. What book cited Adso’s manuscript?
(a) On Labyrinths and Libraries.
(b) Mirror Game: Chess and the World.
(c) Monks of the Fourteenth Century.
(d) On the Use of Mirrors in the Game of Chess.
13. What 18th Century figure translated Adso’s work?
(a) Victor Hugo.
(b) Brother William.
(c) An anonymous source.
(d) The Abbé Vallet.
14. In what year do the events of the book take place?
15. How does William know what he tells the Cellarer in ‘First Day’?
(a) Through informed reasoning.
(b) Someone has told him.
(c) He is psychic.
(d) He is guessing at random.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people can enter the top floor of the Aedificium?
2. Where was the apostolic seat?
3. To which monastery did Adso belong?
4. What position has William held before?
5. Where does William want to go that night in ‘Second Day’?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)