|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was sunset in the Prologue?
(a) Around 4:30 p.m.
(b) At 7 p.m.
(c) At 6 p.m.
(d) At 9 p.m.
2. Who is the first person from the monks that the men meet in ‘First Day’?
(b) The Cellarer.
(c) The abbot.
3. What is the first monk Adso and William meet looking for?
(a) A mule.
(b) The abbot.
(c) A horse.
4. What 18th Century figure translated Adso’s work?
(a) Brother William.
(b) Victor Hugo.
(c) An anonymous source.
(d) The Abbé Vallet.
5. What kind of cipher is written on the page William and Adso find in the library?
(a) Morse code.
(b) Something completely incomprehensible.
(c) A code in Arabic.
(d) An astrological cipher.
6. What do the monks not do between matins and lauds?
(d) Go back to bed.
7. What does Berengar think he saw in ‘Second Day’?
(a) Adelmo's ghost.
(b) Benno alive.
(c) Adelmo alive.
(d) Benno’s ghost.
8. What book cited Adso’s manuscript?
(a) Mirror Game: Chess and the World.
(b) Monks of the Fourteenth Century.
(c) On Labyrinths and Libraries.
(d) On the Use of Mirrors in the Game of Chess.
9. To what order did Brother William belong?
10. What is Severinus’s job at the abbey?
11. How many people can enter the top floor of the Aedificium?
(c) Anyone can enter.
12. Where do William and Adso go to investigate in ‘Second Day’?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The scriptorium.
(c) The library.
(d) The labratory.
13. Why has William come to the monastery?
(a) To learn about potions.
(b) To rest.
(c) To investigate the death of Adelmo.
(d) To study a manuscript.
14. Who did Louis see as his allies?
(a) The Dominicans.
(b) The Franciscans.
(c) The Benedictines.
15. What is missing from Venantius’s desk in ‘Second Day’?
(a) A book in Greek.
(b) A book in Latin.
(d) His writing utensils.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the narrator receive the manuscript?
2. What surprises the Cellarer in ‘First Day’?
3. What area of the abbey is forbidden to William?
4. Where is Adso from originally?
5. What does William question Severinus about in ‘Second Day’?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)