|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Matins take place?
(a) At 4:30 p.m.
(b) Before 7 p.m.
(c) Between 2:30 and 3:30 a.m.
(d) Around 6 p.m.
2. Who is the first person from the monks that the men meet in ‘First Day’?
(c) The Cellarer.
(d) The abbot.
3. What do the monks not do between matins and lauds?
(a) Go back to bed.
4. What is missing from Venantius’s desk in ‘Second Day’?
(a) A book in Latin.
(b) His writing utensils.
(c) A book in Greek.
5. What does William question Severinus about in ‘Second Day’?
(b) One particular book.
(c) The history of Greek.
6. What will the monks debate in the discussions to take place?
(a) Which sects to exterminate.
(b) Where the Pope should live.
(c) Who should be the main power.
(d) The role of poverty in the church.
7. In the Preface, what language is the current narrator writing in?
8. Who used to be a Dolcian?
(a) The Cellarer.
(b) The abbot.
9. What does Berengar think he saw in ‘Second Day’?
(a) Benno alive.
(b) Benno’s ghost.
(c) Adelmo alive.
(d) Adelmo's ghost.
10. What do Jorge and William debate in ‘Second Day’?
(a) The role of laughter in religion.
(b) Which sect has the most heretics.
(c) The role of the church.
(d) The purpose of poverty in religion.
11. What area of the abbey is forbidden to William?
(a) The library.
(b) The scriptorium.
(c) The gardens.
(d) The church.
12. What surprises the Cellarer in ‘First Day’?
(a) That they are there at all.
(b) That William knows so much about the horse.
(c) That William and Adso have arrived so early.
(d) That William has deigned to come to visit them.
13. Where does Benno recommend William search in ‘Second Day’?
(a) The scriptorium.
(b) His own cell.
(c) The library.
(d) Salvatore’s cell.
14. What is the bulk of the monastery called?
(a) The labyrinth.
(b) The hall.
(c) The library.
(d) The Aedificium.
15. What book cited Adso’s manuscript?
(a) On Labyrinths and Libraries.
(b) Monks of the Fourteenth Century.
(c) Mirror Game: Chess and the World.
(d) On the Use of Mirrors in the Game of Chess.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Adso accompany on his travels?
2. How does Salvatore speak?
3. At the time this book was written, who was the Pope?
4. When was sunset in the Prologue?
5. What is the form of the library?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)