|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what project was Dr. Delmarre working concerning robots?
2. What does Attlebish say about Gruer?
3. How does Baley shock Gladia Delmarre?
4. Where is Baley at the opening to chapter 15?
5. Who does Leebig say constantly fought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anselmo suddenly do as Baley is speaking with him?
2. What does Klorissa tell Elijah about the fetus lab and what does Elijah suggest to Klorissa?
3. What does Leebig say about the Delmarres?
4. How does Leebig react to Baley calling him?
5. How does Gladia respond to seeing Baley in person and what does she tell him?
6. Describe the incident with the arrow that is shot at Baley.
7. What does Baley learn about Solaria from Anselmo Quemot?
8. How does Klorissa feel about her job at the fetal farm?
9. Who replaces Gruer and what does he tell Daneel and Baley to do?
10. What does Klorissa tell Baley was they are touring the fetal farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of examples in the book where it is obvious that human society is more strictly regulated and structured in the time of The Naked Sun than at the present time in the United States. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the way the worlds (Earth and Solaria) of The Naked Sun is structured and regulated. Evaluate its effectiveness and its problems.
2. Compare/contrast the life of the average Solarian to the average American today.
3. Are there countries that are as tightly controlled in the "real" world as that in The Naked Sun? Compare one of those countries with that of Solaria.
Essay Topic 2
Lije questions why robots need to appear in the form of human likeness, why not another machine? He also wonders why the authorities are wanting those on Solaria to think R. Daneel is a human being. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think the human form is the most generalized form in all of nature? Why or why not?
2. Do you think the human form is more economical and efficient for robots? Why or why not.
3. Even if the human form is more economical and efficient, why do you think R. Daneel is anatomically correct, even to his genitalia? Does that amount of exactitude serve a purpose? What would that be?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of isolation in The Naked Sun. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with isolation? Why? What are some symbols of isolation? What characters seem to enjoy isolation? Which ones might abhor being isolated?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of justcie in The Naked Sun. Is justice served? What do you think would have happened to Leebig had he not killed himself? Is the idea of justice even applicable to robots?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family. Compare/contrast how the people of Solaria view family ties to that of Elijah's earth or your own culture. Which is most like your own view of family ties?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)