|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Outer Worlds are there?
2. What is said about the Outer Worlds' military power?
3. Who takes care of Gladia after she finds her husband?
4. What is important to the inhabitants of Solaria?
5. How long has it been since Gladia's husband has "seen" anyone besides herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Elijah Baley.
2. What does Elijah want from the robot that witnesses Dr. Delmarr's death and where is the robot?
3. What does Gruer tell Elijah about the murder case?
4. What is Baley's response to his orders?
5. What does Daneel tell Elijah about Solaria, and what is Elijah's response?
6. What does Gladia ask Elijah about his and Daneel's proximity and what is Elijah's response?
7. Who is the Undersecretary and what does he order Baley to do and why?
8. How do people on Solaria communicate and what are Baley's beliefs about how that will affect his investigation?
9. What shocks Baley about his first communication with Gladia, and how does she explain the situation? What is Elijah's response?
10. Explain the difference between "viewing" and "seeing" on Solaria.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The laws of robotics are discussed in a number of chapters in The Naked Sun. Discuss the following:
1. Explain in your own words the three laws of robotics and why they probably exist.
2. Can you think of any other laws of robotics that should be in place? Explain.
3. If you had a robot employee or servant, would you want it to merely respond to commands with no emotions or would you like it endowed with artificial intelligence so that it could think at some level? Explain your preference.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of individualism is taken to the extreme in Solaria. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze three extreme examples of individualism in The Naked Sun.
2. What do you think are the psychological effects of the type of individualism on Solaria?
3. Discuss the positive aspects to life on Solaria as related to individualism.
Essay Topic 3
Solaria has a huge population of robots that outnumber human beings ten thousand to one; whereas the ration of human beings to robots on earth is much less, with human beings outnumbering robots.
1. Why do you think the people of Earth prefer human assistance?
2. How similar is their revolt to many people in our culture who complain about trying to call a company and getting a voice instructing them to push numbers?
3. Do you think there will be a time when robots do all the work for human beings? What do you think will be gained by that? What will be lost?
4. What are the advantages and disadvantages with the prolific use of robots on Solaria?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)