|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Olivaw open the top of the car?
2. How long does it take the robots to find Gladia after she faints?
3. Who was in the room when the victim is killed?
4. Who works in the outside areas of Earth?
5. Who do the people on Solaria visit with each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the difference between "viewing" and "seeing" on Solaria.
2. How do people on the Outer Worlds view Earthmen?
3. What is Elijah's attitude towards robots and what is the exception?
4. How is the Earth encased, and how does that make Elijah feel?
5. Describe Elijah Baley.
6. Why do the authorities believe Gladia did not kill her husband and what does Gladia say when Elijah asks her if she did it?
7. How do people on Solaria communicate and what are Baley's beliefs about how that will affect his investigation?
8. How are the farming and mining areas set apart from other Earth space?
9. What does Gladia tell Elijah about her relationship with her husband?
10. What does Albert reply to Baley's reluctance to accept the assignment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of isolation in The Naked Sun. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with isolation? Why? What are some symbols of isolation? What characters seem to enjoy isolation? Which ones might abhor being isolated?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of justcie in The Naked Sun. Is justice served? What do you think would have happened to Leebig had he not killed himself? Is the idea of justice even applicable to robots?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family. Compare/contrast how the people of Solaria view family ties to that of Elijah's earth or your own culture. Which is most like your own view of family ties?
Essay Topic 2
Issac Asimov is one of the most prolific writers, both science fiction and other genres, including academic, of his time. It is useful to know about him not just because he authored The Naked Sun, but because his authorial life is quite astounding. Discuss the following:
1. Research Asimov and write a brief biography of the man.
2. What do you find to be most impressive about the man?
3. What do you think is Asimov's greatest accomplishment?
4. If you were told that you had to write 900 or so books and other works, how would you respond?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of examples in the book where it is obvious that human society is more strictly regulated and structured in the time of The Naked Sun than at the present time in the United States. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the way the worlds (Earth and Solaria) of The Naked Sun is structured and regulated. Evaluate its effectiveness and its problems.
2. Compare/contrast the life of the average Solarian to the average American today.
3. Are there countries that are as tightly controlled in the "real" world as that in The Naked Sun? Compare one of those countries with that of Solaria.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)