|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a characteristic of wisdom?
2. Who is the hero of Metamorphosis?
3. What information do we have about Sisyphus in the underworld?
4. How does Kafka express the absurd?
5. What is astonishing about eternal values?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Camus describe the Church's treatment of heretics?
2. How did Sisyphus attempt to test his wife's love?
3. How does Camus account for the promiscuity of don Juan?
4. What, for humanity, are the consequences of living in a world stripped of illusion?
5. In mentioning the Diary (p. 100 of the Penguin edition), to what does Camus draw attention?
6. Why is the fame of a writer likely to endure and that of an actor not to do so?
7. How does Camus view the novel as an artistic endeavor?
8. How does Camus differ from many other commentators when considering the work of Kafka?
9. What is The Trial about?
10. Why does Camus call Prometheus the 'first of modern conquerors'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Account for Camus' interest in the work of Russian writer Dostoevsly. For what reasons does Camus choose to refer frequently to this novelist? To what extent is an appreciation of Dostoevsky required to understand Camus' position on The Absurd?
Essay Topic 2
'Kafka's literary and philosophical works have had significant influence in ways of thinking and in the creation of other works of art.' Compose an essay that is a response to this statement. You will need to discuss at least two works mentioned by Camus and evaluate the way in whch these works have influenced other writers, citing at least two examples of the 'Kafkaeque'.
Essay Topic 3
'It is possible to classify much of Camus' writing as 'prose poetry' because of its poetic qualities.' To what extent would you agree with this comment? Does his writing indeed possess poetic qualities? You will need to look at his use of imagery, figurative language, structure and level of language (diction). This might best be approached by analyzing one or two passages of your choice.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)