|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Helen's Exile.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Camus describes a film in a handbill using words like 'sumptuous', 'staggering', 'amazing' and 'tremendous'. This is an example of which literary device?
2. What has Camus to say about 'great revolutions'?
(a) They are always metaphysical.
(b) They never last.
(c) They are always metatextual.
(d) They take us into a sure future.
3. Where is history now to be found?
(a) In the streets.
(b) In libraries.
(c) In archival collections held by governments.
(d) In books.
4. According to Camus, what is tiresome about the human attitude to fate?
(a) It hasn't changed in a thousand years.
(b) It is unrealistic.
(c) It tends to make us inactive.
(d) We take credit for happiness, but blame fate for what crushes us.
5. What comment of Nietzsche's does Camus make reference to near the beginning of the chapter on Philosophy and Fiction?
(a) 'We have art in order not to die of the truth.'
(b) 'Midway in life's journey we need to enter a dark wood.'
(c) 'What does not destroy me makes me stronger.'
(d) 'Scattered thoughts can be both orderly and disorderly.'
Short Answer Questions
1. With what did Socrates' life end.
2. What restores calm to the fight audience after the near-riot?
3. What building stands above the harbor?
4. With God dead, what remains?
5. How does a man define himself?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)