|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Minotaur.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What paradox did Descartes notice in Amsterdam?
(a) That one could feel safe in the red-light district of the city.
(b) That one could feel freedom and tranquility amongst a crowd.
(c) That a tax on windows meant doors were narrow.
(d) That there were streets as well as canals for traffic.
2. Identify the literary device Camus uses in: 'Even men without a gospel have their Mount of Olives'.
(a) The device is personification.
(b) The device is a metaphor.
(c) The device is an example of onomatopoeia.
(d) The device is an example of transubstantiation.
3. How does night descend on the city?
(a) By abrupt degrees.
(c) Like a thief.
(d) Slowly, after a long twilight.
4. What is paradoxical about Algiers?
(a) It gives a man both pleasure and misery.
(b) There is lots of sunlight, yet the place resembles a grim fortress.
(c) It is on the sea, but inaccessible to shipping.
(d) It contains both cathedrals and mosques.
5. What is the main idea in the final paragraph of the essay 'The Myth of Sisyphus'?
(a) We can't be free unless the gods allow it.
(b) All we can do is struggle.
(c) No matter how hard we struggle, the gods will always win.
(d) The struggle for achievement is enough: it is its own reward.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which philosopher claims that anxiety is at the source of everything?
2. To which school of thought does Husserl belong?
3. What attitude can overcome all fate?
4. Of what do the freighters from Norway smell?
5. Why is it necessary to read a Kafka work twice?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)