|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Myth of Sisyphus: Absurd Creation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ridiculous about the writer who emulated Peregrinos?
(a) The writer suicided so his book would be noticed, but the book was no good.
(b) He tried to commit suicide by drowning in the Seine, but could not sink.
(c) He thought the name would make him a great travel writer, but he failed.
(d) The writer suicided in despair and his relatives benefited hugely from the royalties.
2. What comment of Nietzsche's does Camus make reference to near the beginning of the chapter on Philosophy and Fiction?
(a) 'Midway in life's journey we need to enter a dark wood.'
(b) 'We have art in order not to die of the truth.'
(c) 'What does not destroy me makes me stronger.'
(d) 'Scattered thoughts can be both orderly and disorderly.'
3. What is a consequence of love?
(a) Marriage and children.
(b) The stronger the love, the stronger the absurdity.
(c) It is impossible to assess because every relationship is different.
(d) The stronger the love, the less absurd it is.
4. How does Camus summarize the actor's art?
(a) As the ability to simulate absolutely.
(b) As an absurd illusion.
(c) As the ability to represent faithfully.
(d) As dangerous counterfeit.
5. Which art and science have close affinity?
(a) Fiction and physics.
(b) Painting and geometry.
(c) Music and kinesthetics.
(d) Music and mathematics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous Frenchwoman was self-reliant?
2. What is Camus' attitude to genius?
3. What would be a synonym for the phrase 'fecund rumination' (p. 93 of the Penguin Edition)?
4. Identify the literary device Camus uses in: 'Even men without a gospel have their Mount of Olives'.
5. What kind of thought is involved in the absurd?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)