|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Myth of Sisyphus: Absurd Creation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment does Camus make concerning suffering?
(a) It is ennobling.
(b) It is useless.
(c) It should be avoided.
(d) It must be endured.
2. Why does Chestov think we turn to God?
(a) Only to gain favors.
(b) To have the feling that 'underneath are the everlasting arms'.
(c) Only to obtain the impossible.
(d) Because we are afraid.
3. What does Camus see as an almost inevitable companion to passion?
4. Commonly, what concerns Dostoevsky's heroes?
(a) The meaning of life.
(b) Whether or not evil people should be permitted to live.
(c) Whether or not love and loyalty can endure.
(d) The morality of suicide.
5. What sacrifice does Loyola say God rejoices in?
(a) The sacrifice of humility?
(b) The sacrifice of the intellect.
(c) The sacrifice of hope.
(d) The sacrifice of celibacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be a synonym for the phrase 'fecund rumination' (p. 93 of the Penguin Edition)?
2. Who believed that 'to kill God is to become god oneself'?
3. Identify the literary device Camus uses in: 'Even men without a gospel have their Mount of Olives'.
4. What assertions are always false?
5. How does a man define himself?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)