|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Myth of Sisyphus: Absurd Creation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Commonly, what concerns Dostoevsky's heroes?
(a) The morality of suicide.
(b) Whether or not evil people should be permitted to live.
(c) The meaning of life.
(d) Whether or not love and loyalty can endure.
2. What is astonishing about eternal values?
(a) They survive wars and other conflicts.
(b) That they exist at all.
(c) They transcend cultural factors.
(d) The very fact that they exist without reference to God.
3. What is the chief question pursued in THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV?
(a) Sibling rivalry in the Russian middle class.
(b) Conflict over the emancipation of the Russian serfs.
(c) The existence of God.
(d) The validity of the Russian church.
4. What sacrifice does Loyola say God rejoices in?
(a) The sacrifice of the intellect.
(b) The sacrifice of humility?
(c) The sacrifice of celibacy.
(d) The sacrifice of hope.
5. Once, how were the condemned spared the sight of the scaffold?
(a) The execution chamber was never lit.
(b) The condemned person walked backwards, with two priests assisting.
(c) Priests held a little painted screens in front of the condemned person's face.
(d) The condemned person was blindfolded.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way are people's minds related?
2. What comment of Nietzsche's does Camus make reference to near the beginning of the chapter on Philosophy and Fiction?
3. What would be a synonym for the phrase 'fecund rumination' (p. 93 of the Penguin Edition)?
4. What is a consequence of love?
5. To which school of thought does Husserl belong?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)