|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Myth of Sisyphus: Absurd Creation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Camus suggest happens in bad novels?
(a) There is too much emphasis on structure.
(b) Thought becomes more important than style.
(c) There is substantial over-writing, especially with descriptive passages.
(d) Dialogue is poorly written and often inappropriate to character.
2. What would be a synonym for the phrase 'fecund rumination' (p. 93 of the Penguin Edition)?
(a) Vetinarary fees.
(b) Lively imagination.
(c) Productive thought.
(d) Happy return.
3. What is Camus' attitude to genius?
(a) It excuses everything.
(b) It excuses nothing.
(c) It is anti-democratic.
(d) It must be nurtured.
4. What is a consequence of love?
(a) The stronger the love, the stronger the absurdity.
(b) Marriage and children.
(c) The stronger the love, the less absurd it is.
(d) It is impossible to assess because every relationship is different.
5. What is the chief question pursued in THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV?
(a) Sibling rivalry in the Russian middle class.
(b) The existence of God.
(c) The validity of the Russian church.
(d) Conflict over the emancipation of the Russian serfs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camus see as an almost inevitable companion to passion?
2. What binds a man to the absurd?
3. What is the most harrowing passion of all?
4. What comment does Camus make concerning suffering?
5. Why are European cemeteries hideous?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)