|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Summer in Algiers.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 'two worlds' does Kafka present in his novels?
(a) Everyday life and supernatural anxiety.
(b) The absurd and the prosaic.
(c) Everyday life and transcendent ecstasy.
(d) Anxiety and the absurd.
2. Of what do the freighters from Norway smell?
3. When did Sisyphus test his wife's love?
(a) When he returned from his travels.
(b) On their wedding night.
(c) As he was leaving on his travels.
(d) When he was close to death.
4. At Belcourt, how have marriages been arranged?
(a) Through exchanging peppermint lozenges.
(b) Through the mosque.
(c) Through exchanging golden rings.
(d) Through marriage brokers.
5. Of what figurative device is: 'These are our nights of Gethsemane'?
(a) It is a metaphor.
(b) It is an example of decorative prose.
(c) It is an example of idiomatic phrasing.
(d) It is an illusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are myths given life?
2. How does Camus see Sisyphus vis-a-vis his fate?
3. What has been the focus of don Juan's existence?
4. Once, how were the condemned spared the sight of the scaffold?
5. What would be a synonym for the phrase 'fecund rumination' (p. 93 of the Penguin Edition)?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)