|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Summer in Algiers.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main idea in the final paragraph of the essay 'The Myth of Sisyphus'?
(a) All we can do is struggle.
(b) The struggle for achievement is enough: it is its own reward.
(c) No matter how hard we struggle, the gods will always win.
(d) We can't be free unless the gods allow it.
2. Of what do the freighters from Norway smell?
3. What does Oedipus' remark imply?
(a) That fate is cruel and will defeat you despite your pure nature.
(b) That fate is a human matter, to be settled among men.
(c) That fate is decided prior to birth.
(d) That in certain circumstances, you might negotiate with the gods.
4. When did Sisyphus test his wife's love?
(a) As he was leaving on his travels.
(b) When he returned from his travels.
(c) On their wedding night.
(d) When he was close to death.
5. What do Arabs sell for five sous?
(a) Roast chestnuts.
(c) Golden bangles.
(d) Iced lemonade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is paradoxical about Algiers?
2. What makes Algiers different from cities like Paris, Prague and Florence?
3. What building stands above the harbor?
4. Which novel deals with a soul in quest of grace?
5. What were the consequences of Sisyphus putting Death in chains?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)