|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Summer in Algiers.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What common quality can be found in Kafka, Proust and Plotinus?
(a) Rejection of paradise.
(b) Nostalgia for a lost paradise.
(c) Pity for suffering.
(d) Nostalgia for childhood.
2. What does Oedipus' remark imply?
(a) That fate is a human matter, to be settled among men.
(b) That fate is cruel and will defeat you despite your pure nature.
(c) That in certain circumstances, you might negotiate with the gods.
(d) That fate is decided prior to birth.
3. What is indicated when melancholy arises in the human heart?
(a) The rock's victory.
(b) The need for positive thinking and better prioritizing.
(c) Suicidal depression.
(d) Counsellig with a psychiatrist.
4. When did Sisyphus test his wife's love?
(a) When he was close to death.
(b) As he was leaving on his travels.
(c) When he returned from his travels.
(d) On their wedding night.
5. According to Camus, what is the only way Iago can be understood?
(a) Through an understanding of Venetian military structure.
(b) In terms of the absurd.
(c) By thorough analysis of the text.
(d) By playing him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information do we have about Sisyphus in the underworld?
2. What makes Algiers different from cities like Paris, Prague and Florence?
3. What is the prime interest of everyday man?
4. What word does Camus think is meaningless in Algeria?
5. What is the hero's great fear following his transformation?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)