|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Maddelina?
2. When the servants whisper that the Chateau Le Blanc is haunted, how does Count de Villefort respond?
3. With what does Monsieur Quesnel want to assist Emily?
4. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
5. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, who knocks on the door, shocking Emily into a faint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Dorothee give Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi's tragic history?
2. What seemingly supernatural event occurs when Montoni harasses Emily the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
3. What seemingly supernatural figure does Emily see in Chapters Two and Three of Volume Three?
4. What incident in Chapter Seven of Volume Four increases the reputation of the Marchioness de Villeroi's chamber at Chateau le Blanc as being haunted?
5. Explain the encounter Count De Villefort, the St. Foixes and Blanche have with the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four and who they are reunited with as a result.
6. What room at the Chateau le Blanc is supposedly haunted?
7. What is ironic about Emily's being sent to Tuscany for safety when castle di Udolpho is attacked?
8. Why is Count Morano imprisoned after his return to Venice?
9. When Emily returns to castle di Udolpho after the siege of the castle ends, what indications are there that her uncle is still planning malicious things for her?
10. Explain the mystery of the prisoner in the castle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sister Agnes is insane when Emily meets her and Emily's own sanity is threatened with her experiences in castle di Udolpho. Discuss Emily's psychological danger and the threats to her sanity in the novel. Are the psychological threats to Emily greater at times than the physical threats to her? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Mysteries of Udolpho takes place in Italy and France in 1584. Discuss how the geographical and chronological setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Ann Radcliffe had set the novel in the contemporary United States instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of gender roles in The Mysteries of Udolpho. Give examples of how at least three of the following characters exhibit typical or atypical gender role behavior for the era in which the novel is set: Annette, Madame Montoni, the Marchioness de Villeroi, Emily, Valancourt, Monsieur Quensel, Montoni, and Count Morano. What do you think Ann Radcliffe is trying to say about gender roles in 1584 society through these characters? Is she also perhaps trying to say something about gender roles in her era of 1794? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)