|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who escorts Emily to safety when Udolpho is threatened by an enemy in Chapter Six of Volume Three?
2. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
3. Who does Emily beg not to forsake her as all have done since her father's death?
4. What signals Emily that the prisoner is leaving his prison and has come to meet her?
5. Why is Sister Agnes rude to Emily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Count De Villefort is a foil character to Montoni.
2. Explain the mystery of the prisoner in the castle.
3. What does Valancourt's return to Theresa's cottage after Emily's rejection of him at the end of Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four indicate about his feelings for Emily?
4. In Chapter One of Volume Three, why does Emily think Bernardine might murder her as well as her aunt?
5. What seemingly supernatural figure does Emily see in Chapters Two and Three of Volume Three?
6. What seemingly supernatural event occurs when Montoni harasses Emily the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
7. In Chapter Nine of Volume Three, Emily composes a poem called "The Mariner". What role do Emily's poems play throughout the story?
8. What story does Dorothee give Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi's tragic history?
9. Why is Count Morano imprisoned after his return to Venice?
10. Why is Emily cold toward Valancourt in Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four when she truly loves him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of theft and robbery in The Mysteries of Udolpho. Include the banditti, the pirates, and the characters who covet Emily's and her aunt's inheritances in your discussion. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting and atmosphere throughout the novel. Is it always gloomy and foreboding, or is it ever light and happy? How do you account for any differences in tone? For what purposes do you think the author uses setting and atmosphere in the novel? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
The Mysteries of Udolpho takes place in Italy and France in 1584. Discuss how the geographical and chronological setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Ann Radcliffe had set the novel in the contemporary United States instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)