|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
2. What does Emily see in Chapter One of Volume Three that makes her faint?
3. After the storm, what does Count De Villefort and his family hear while returning to their chateau in their carriage?
4. What does Montoni threaten if Emily does not give him the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
5. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Emily returns to castle di Udolpho after the siege of the castle ends, what indications are there that her uncle is still planning malicious things for her?
2. What story does Sister Frances relate to Emily to explain how Sister Agnes became insane?
3. What seemingly supernatural figure does Emily see in Chapters Two and Three of Volume Three?
4. What is Monsieur Quesnel's response to Emily's letter in Chapter Twelve of Volume Three?
5. What incident in Chapter Seven of Volume Four increases the reputation of the Marchioness de Villeroi's chamber at Chateau le Blanc as being haunted?
6. In what ways is Blanche a mirror of Emily's character?
7. In Chapter Nine of Volume Three, Emily composes a poem called "The Mariner". What role do Emily's poems play throughout the story?
8. As she learns more about the Marchioness de Villeroi, what connection does Emily suspect exists between her father and the Marchioness?
9. What does Emily's likeness to the Marchioness' portrait foreshadow?
10. Although Emily refuses Valancourt in Chapter Ten of Volume Three, what evidence is there that she still loves him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ann Radcliffe introduces each chapter of The Mysteries of Udolpho with an epigraph, and Emily composes sonnets and other poems throughout the novel. In addition, the narrator of the novel uses poetic epithets throughout the story. Discuss the author's technique of interspersing poetry into her prose narrative and what you think her purpose in using this technique was. Cite at least three examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Emily's experiences with Montoni and Madame Montoni at castle di Udolpho with her experiences at Chateau le Blanc, the estate of Count De Villefort. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Emily St. Albert has three suitors over the course of the novel. Compare and contrast Emily's relationships with Valancourt, Count Morano, and Chevalier Du Pont. She ends up with Valancourt, but do you think she feels affection for either of the other two men? If Valancourt was not in the picture, which man do you think Emily would choose to marry, and why? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)