|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
2. Who is imprisoned in Chapter Eight of Volume Three because of accusations sent by Montoni?
3. What does Dorothee tell Emily about the mysterious music heard at the Chateau le Blanc?
4. In Chapter Eight of Volume Three, who promises to help Emily escape from Udolpho?
5. Who serves as the emissary between Emily and Bernardine in Chapter One of Volume Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Montoni's reaction to his wife's death?
2. Explain how Count De Villefort is a foil character to Montoni.
3. Why is Emily cold toward Valancourt in Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four when she truly loves him?
4. Who has taken care of Theresa financially during Emily's absence from La Vallee, and what does this provision indicate?
5. What room at the Chateau le Blanc is supposedly haunted?
6. What does Emily's response to Chevalier Du Pont's courtship and Count De Villefort's encouragement of that courtship indicate?
7. Why does Emily think Valancourt may be a prisoner in castle di Udolpho?
8. What story does Dorothee give Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi's tragic history?
9. In what ways is Blanche a mirror of Emily's character?
10. Is Valancourt a perfect hero or does he have flaws and weaknesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of gender roles in The Mysteries of Udolpho. Give examples of how at least three of the following characters exhibit typical or atypical gender role behavior for the era in which the novel is set: Annette, Madame Montoni, the Marchioness de Villeroi, Emily, Valancourt, Monsieur Quensel, Montoni, and Count Morano. What do you think Ann Radcliffe is trying to say about gender roles in 1584 society through these characters? Is she also perhaps trying to say something about gender roles in her era of 1794? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Supernatural elements occur throughout the novel. Discuss the role of the supernatural in The Mysteries of Udolpho. Are all of the supposedly supernatural events explained naturally or are any of them left unexplained? What do you think Ann Radcliffe is trying to say through her depiction of the supernatural in the novel? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
The Mysteries of Udolpho contains a number of instances of irony. Cite at least three examples of irony in the novel and discuss how the author uses each example to enhance characterization or plot.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)