|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emily sign her aunt's estates over to Montoni?
2. Who do Emily and Annette learn is behind the kidnapping scheme in Chapter One of Volume Three, and the attempt to poison Montoni?
3. Why is Emily summoned back to the castle di Udolpho in Chapter Eight of Volume Three?
4. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
5. Who faints and is taken captive by banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Nine of Volume Three, Emily composes a poem called "The Mariner". What role do Emily's poems play throughout the story?
2. What room at the Chateau le Blanc is supposedly haunted?
3. What clues are there that Bernardine has a malicious intent toward Emily?
4. What seemingly supernatural event occurs when Montoni harasses Emily the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
5. What story does Dorothee give Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi's tragic history?
6. What does Valancourt's return to Theresa's cottage after Emily's rejection of him at the end of Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four indicate about his feelings for Emily?
7. What incident in Chapter Seven of Volume Four increases the reputation of the Marchioness de Villeroi's chamber at Chateau le Blanc as being haunted?
8. Is Valancourt a perfect hero or does he have flaws and weaknesses?
9. Why does Emily think Valancourt may be a prisoner in castle di Udolpho?
10. What story does Sister Frances relate to Emily to explain how Sister Agnes became insane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of marriage in the novel. A few marriages seem happy, but the arranged or forced marriages lead to infidelity, violence, and even murder. What do you think Ann Radcliffe is saying about arranged marriages, which were common in her era and in the era in which the book was set, versus marriages of the heart through the marriages she depicts in the novel? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Ann Radcliffe introduces each chapter of The Mysteries of Udolpho with an epigraph, and Emily composes sonnets and other poems throughout the novel. In addition, the narrator of the novel uses poetic epithets throughout the story. Discuss the author's technique of interspersing poetry into her prose narrative and what you think her purpose in using this technique was. Cite at least three examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of women in The Mysteries of Udolpho. Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Does the treatment of women change over the course of the novel? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)