|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Emily and Monsieur St. Albert are traveling in Chapter Three, who joins them in their travel, helps them acquire lodging, and joins them for dinner?
2. Who is Bernardine?
3. What does Monsieur St. Albert do when he finds out that he and Emily are near the Chateau le Blanc?
4. In Chapter Five of Volume Two, who wakes Emily in the night to tell her to prepare to leave Venice immediately for castle di Udolpho in the Apenines?
5. What promise does Monsieur St. Albert require from Emily when he realizes he is dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ludovico begin to suspect that Montoni heads a band of robbers?
2. How does Ludovico's reason for locking Annette up differ from Montoni's reason for locking up Madame Montoni?
3. How does Emily respond to the news of her father's financial ruin?
4. How does Montoni treat his wife on their journey toward Venice?
5. What does Monsieur Quesnel do with the family estate at La Vallee, and what do his actions indicate?
6. Why does Madame Montoni want to go to castle di Udolpho in the Apennines?
7. What mysterious things happen while Emily and her parents visit the fishing-house in Chapter One?
8. How does Montoni inherit the castle from Signora Laurentini?
9. Why is Montoni's ire because Count Morano is not as affluent as he pretended to be ironic?
10. What does Madame Cheron's reversal of her opinion about Valancourt upon learning he is Madame Clairval's nephew indicate about her own character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Emily's relationships with her aunts and uncles in the novel: Monsieur Quesnel, Montoni, and Madame Montoni. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three of the many mysteries in The Mysteries of Udolpho. Do the mysteries seem to be natural or supernatural? What techniques does the author use to perpetuate suspense concerning these mysteries? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationships of Emily and Valancourt, Blanche and St Foixe, and Annette and Ludovico. Do either of the secondary characters' romances mirror that of Emily and Valancourt? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)