|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Madame Cheron's response when Valancourt visits and asks permission to see Emily?
2. When Valancourt returns to Estuviere in Chapter Eleven, what does he worry about?
3. What happens to Montoni's wine glass while he is toasting his men and their exploits at dinner?
4. Why does Monsieur St. Albert faint?
5. From whom is Monsieur St. Albert expecting letters in Chapter Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Montoni's ire because Count Morano is not as affluent as he pretended to be ironic?
2. Why is it improper for Valancourt to visit Emily in her gardens in Chapter Ten of Volume I?
3. What mysterious things happen while Emily and her parents visit the fishing-house in Chapter One?
4. Why does Montoni want Emily to wear the most splendid dress she owns for dinner with his cavaliers?
5. If Emily loves Valancourt, why does she not elope with him when he suggests doing so?
6. Describe the seemingly supernatural voice that echoes Montoni's words in the castle di Udolpho.
7. What delays Emily's forced marriage to Count Morano?
8. In Chapter Seven of Volume Two, what does Madame Montoni learn about her husband's financial situation that makes her regret her marriage?
9. Why does Montoni suspect someone has tried to poison him when his glass bursts during dinner in Chapter Ten of Volume Two?
10. Why does Emily conclude her aunt is probably dead once Montoni has the older woman taken away to the east turret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of theft and robbery in The Mysteries of Udolpho. Include the banditti, the pirates, and the characters who covet Emily's and her aunt's inheritances in your discussion. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationships of Emily and Valancourt, Blanche and St Foixe, and Annette and Ludovico. Do either of the secondary characters' romances mirror that of Emily and Valancourt? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of women in The Mysteries of Udolpho. Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Does the treatment of women change over the course of the novel? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)