|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who surprises Emily with a visit while en route to Estuviere?
2. Who disappeared from castle di Udolpho twenty years earlier?
3. Why is Emily's engagement to Valancourt canceled?
4. About whom does Emily compose a poem called "The Piedmontese"?
5. In Chapter Ten of Volume Two, in what does Emily's aunt demonstrate a delight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the peasant La Voisin's desire to die and join his wife in Chapter Six seem to mirror in Monsieur St. Albert?
2. Why does Montoni suspect someone has tried to poison him when his glass bursts during dinner in Chapter Ten of Volume Two?
3. Why does Madame Montoni want to go to castle di Udolpho in the Apennines?
4. In Chapter Seven of Volume Two, what does Madame Montoni learn about her husband's financial situation that makes her regret her marriage?
5. Why is Montoni's ire because Count Morano is not as affluent as he pretended to be ironic?
6. Why does Count Morano think Emily accepts his affections for her?
7. How does Monsieur St. Albert respond to the news that he and Emily are near Chateau le Blanc?
8. If Emily loves Valancourt, why does she not elope with him when he suggests doing so?
9. What does Count Morano do when his wedding to Emily does not take place as scheduled?
10. Why does Montoni want Emily to wear the most splendid dress she owns for dinner with his cavaliers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ann Radcliffe introduces each chapter of The Mysteries of Udolpho with an epigraph, and Emily composes sonnets and other poems throughout the novel. In addition, the narrator of the novel uses poetic epithets throughout the story. Discuss the author's technique of interspersing poetry into her prose narrative and what you think her purpose in using this technique was. Cite at least three examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of theft and robbery in The Mysteries of Udolpho. Include the banditti, the pirates, and the characters who covet Emily's and her aunt's inheritances in your discussion. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationships of Emily and Valancourt, Blanche and St Foixe, and Annette and Ludovico. Do either of the secondary characters' romances mirror that of Emily and Valancourt? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)