|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Montoni's wine glass while he is toasting his men and their exploits at dinner?
2. Who does Montoni blame for the incident with his glass?
3. Why does Montoni feel defrauded by his wife in Chapter Three of Volume II?
4. Who scolds Emily for receiving a male visitor without supervision after Valancourt's visit?
5. Which of the following statements does NOT describe what Emily experiences at La Vallee, the St. Albert family home, after her father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Monsieur Quesnel do with the family estate at La Vallee, and what do his actions indicate?
2. What mysterious things happen while Emily and her parents visit the fishing-house in Chapter One?
3. What does the peasant La Voisin's desire to die and join his wife in Chapter Six seem to mirror in Monsieur St. Albert?
4. Does Monsieur Quesnel, Emily's maternal uncle and Monsieur St. Albert's brother-in-law, marry for love or for financial gain?
5. How does Emily respond to the news of her father's financial ruin?
6. Does Monsieur St. Albert marry for love or for financial gain?
7. Why does Montoni suspect someone has tried to poison him when his glass bursts during dinner in Chapter Ten of Volume Two?
8. What delays Emily's forced marriage to Count Morano?
9. Why does Madame Montoni want to go to castle di Udolpho in the Apennines?
10. Why is Montoni's ire because Count Morano is not as affluent as he pretended to be ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sister Agnes is insane when Emily meets her and Emily's own sanity is threatened with her experiences in castle di Udolpho. Discuss Emily's psychological danger and the threats to her sanity in the novel. Are the psychological threats to Emily greater at times than the physical threats to her? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three of the many mysteries in The Mysteries of Udolpho. Do the mysteries seem to be natural or supernatural? What techniques does the author use to perpetuate suspense concerning these mysteries? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Emily's relationships with her aunts and uncles in the novel: Monsieur Quesnel, Montoni, and Madame Montoni. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)