|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorothee tell Emily about the mysterious music heard at the Chateau le Blanc?
(a) It has played since the death of the chateau's previous lady.
(b) It is only heard when someone is going to die soon.
(c) It is Emily's imagination.
(d) Dorothee plays it.
2. Who does Emily think made the carving she finds near the chateau?
(a) Count Morano.
(c) Du Pont.
3. What does Dorothee tell Blanche happened to the previous lady of the chateau?
(a) The lady died in childbirth.
(b) The lady died in her bedchamber.
(c) The lady became a nun.
(d) The lady ran away with a lover and died of a fever.
4. Why does Emily sign her aunt's estates over to Montoni?
(a) She thinks Montoni will kill her if she doesn't.
(b) She is in love with Montoni.
(c) Montoni promises to release her from Udolpho if she does.
(d) She thinks Montoni will imprison her if she doesn't.
5. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) A poem entitled "Shipwreck".
(b) Her image.
(c) Her family's surname.
(d) Her name.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emily go to avoid an unwanted suitor in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
2. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
3. Who seems to have vanished from the Marchioness de Villeroi's haunted chamber in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
4. What is Emily's mental state after her near kidnapping in Chapter One of Volume Three?
5. Who sleeps in the chamber with Annette and Emily to protect them from Montoni's henchmen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Count Morano imprisoned after his return to Venice?
2. What is Montoni's reaction to his wife's death?
3. What incident in Chapter Seven of Volume Four increases the reputation of the Marchioness de Villeroi's chamber at Chateau le Blanc as being haunted?
4. What does Emily's likeness to the Marchioness' portrait foreshadow?
5. Describe the omen of death on Antoni's lance in Chapter Three of Volume Three and whose death it foretells.
6. Explain the encounter Count De Villefort, the St. Foixes and Blanche have with the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four and who they are reunited with as a result.
7. Although Emily refuses Valancourt in Chapter Ten of Volume Three, what evidence is there that she still loves him?
8. What does Valancourt's return to Theresa's cottage after Emily's rejection of him at the end of Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four indicate about his feelings for Emily?
9. Why is Emily cold toward Valancourt in Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four when she truly loves him?
10. In Chapter One of Volume Three, why does Emily think Bernardine might murder her as well as her aunt?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)