|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily see on the castle rampart that seems supernatural?
(a) A disappearing face.
(b) A strange figure beckoning to her.
(c) A white mist.
(d) An unexplained light.
2. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
(a) Get lost in the woods.
(b) Crash their boat.
(c) Take shelter in the monastery.
(d) Take shelter in a cave.
3. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, who knocks on the door, shocking Emily into a faint?
(a) Count Morano.
4. After the storm, what does Count De Villefort and his family hear while returning to their chateau in their carriage?
(a) A wolf's howl.
(b) A distress signal from a ship stuck in the storm.
(c) A lute playing in the woods.
(d) A woman's scream.
5. Who is Blanche?
(a) A nun.
(b) Montoni's sister.
(c) Emily's cousin.
(d) Count De Villefort's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ludovico visit the castle prisoner to try to learn his identity?
2. Who does Emily beg not to forsake her as all have done since her father's death?
3. Who reveals that he is the figure on the ramparts and the disembodied voice from a chamber between the walls at Udolpho?
4. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
5. Who thinks Emily resembles the dead Marchioness de Villeroi, the former lady of the Chateau le Blanc?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Emily returns to castle di Udolpho after the siege of the castle ends, what indications are there that her uncle is still planning malicious things for her?
2. Why does Emily think Valancourt may be a prisoner in castle di Udolpho?
3. Why is Count Morano imprisoned after his return to Venice?
4. What does Emily's likeness to the Marchioness' portrait foreshadow?
5. Explain the mystery of the prisoner in the castle.
6. What is Montoni's reaction to his wife's death?
7. In Chapter One of Volume Three, why does Emily think Bernardine might murder her as well as her aunt?
8. Explain the encounter Count De Villefort, the St. Foixes and Blanche have with the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four and who they are reunited with as a result.
9. What incident in Chapter Seven of Volume Four increases the reputation of the Marchioness de Villeroi's chamber at Chateau le Blanc as being haunted?
10. In what ways is Blanche a mirror of Emily's character?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)