|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Emily and Annette learn is behind the kidnapping scheme in Chapter One of Volume Three, and the attempt to poison Montoni?
(c) Count Morano.
2. Who does Emily believe is being held prisoner in the castle after she hears the song from the lower room?
(a) Monsieur Quesnel.
3. What does Emily see on the castle rampart that seems supernatural?
(a) A strange figure beckoning to her.
(b) A white mist.
(c) A disappearing face.
(d) An unexplained light.
4. Who seems to have vanished from the Marchioness de Villeroi's haunted chamber in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(d) Du Pont.
5. Who does Bernardine tell Emily to bring with her when she meets him?
(b) No one, she is to come alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Monsieur Quesnel give Emily in a letter?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe what happens during Ludovico's meeting with the castle prisoner?
3. Who does Emily beg not to forsake her as all have done since her father's death?
4. Where does Emily think she spies Valancourt in Chapter Ten of Volume Four?
5. Which suitor of Emily's returns to Chateau le Blanc and is encouraged by Count De Villefort to hope he will win Emily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Montoni's reaction to his wife's death?
2. What is ironic about Emily's being sent to Tuscany for safety when castle di Udolpho is attacked?
3. In Chapter Nine of Volume Three, Emily composes a poem called "The Mariner". What role do Emily's poems play throughout the story?
4. Who has taken care of Theresa financially during Emily's absence from La Vallee, and what does this provision indicate?
5. Describe the omen of death on Antoni's lance in Chapter Three of Volume Three and whose death it foretells.
6. Explain how Count De Villefort is a foil character to Montoni.
7. What room at the Chateau le Blanc is supposedly haunted?
8. What is Monsieur Quesnel's response to Emily's letter in Chapter Twelve of Volume Three?
9. In Chapter One of Volume Three, why does Emily think Bernardine might murder her as well as her aunt?
10. What story does Sister Frances relate to Emily to explain how Sister Agnes became insane?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)