|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
(a) Take shelter in a cave.
(b) Crash their boat.
(c) Take shelter in the monastery.
(d) Get lost in the woods.
2. What is the odd flame on Antonio's lance viewed as?
(a) An omen of bad luck.
(b) A sign of impending victory in battle.
(c) An indication that the castle is haunted.
(d) An omen of an impending death.
3. When the servants whisper that the Chateau Le Blanc is haunted, how does Count de Villefort respond?
(a) He orders everyone to pray for the chateau.
(b) He summons a priest to bless the place.
(c) He scoffs at the idea of ghosts.
(d) He forbids anyone to say such a thing again.
4. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
(a) That she will never have any man but him.
(b) That his behavior won't cause her unhappiness for long.
(c) That she will find true love with Du Pont.
(d) That she will forgive him and still agree to marry him.
5. Who gives Theresa money and a ring to give to Emily to remember him by?
(b) Du Pont.
(c) Count Morano.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees and chases Emily when she overhears Montoni's argument about a former promise regarding her?
2. With what does Monsieur Quesnel want to assist Emily?
3. Which of the following is NOT part of the story that Dorothee tells Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi?
4. What signals Emily that the prisoner is leaving his prison and has come to meet her?
5. Who does Emily believe is being held prisoner in the castle after she hears the song from the lower room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily's likeness to the Marchioness' portrait foreshadow?
2. Why does Emily think Valancourt may be a prisoner in castle di Udolpho?
3. In Chapter One of Volume Three, why does Emily think Bernardine might murder her as well as her aunt?
4. Why is Emily cold toward Valancourt in Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four when she truly loves him?
5. What does Emily's response to Chevalier Du Pont's courtship and Count De Villefort's encouragement of that courtship indicate?
6. Who has taken care of Theresa financially during Emily's absence from La Vallee, and what does this provision indicate?
7. Explain how Count De Villefort is a foil character to Montoni.
8. What does Valancourt's return to Theresa's cottage after Emily's rejection of him at the end of Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four indicate about his feelings for Emily?
9. Explain the encounter Count De Villefort, the St. Foixes and Blanche have with the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four and who they are reunited with as a result.
10. What clues are there that Bernardine has a malicious intent toward Emily?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)