|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Count De Villefort's party escape from the banditti?
2. To what does the betrayal of Montoni lead?
(a) Montoni's plot for vengeance.
(b) Count Morano's release from prison.
(c) Montoni's prayers of repentance.
(d) A burning of the castle di Udolpho.
3. Who does Emily believe is being held prisoner in the castle after she hears the song from the lower room?
(a) Monsieur Quesnel.
4. Which of the following is NOT something Valancourt admits about himself in Chapter One of Volume Four?
(a) That he will always love Emily.
(b) That he yields to the temptations of Paris.
(c) That he is ruined by debt.
(d) That he is an alcoholic.
5. When Dorothee and Emily visit the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi, what does Dorothee unexpectedly throw over Emily?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A set of rosary beads.
(c) The Marchioness' veil.
(d) A glass of holy water.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Blanche gets separated from the rest of the Count De Villefort's party, what does she overhear?
2. When Emily rushes forward to greet the prisoner, in whose arms does she find herself?
3. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
4. In Chapter Ten of Volume Four, who shoots the man who might have been Valancourt, taking him for a robber?
5. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Dorothee give Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi's tragic history?
2. What room at the Chateau le Blanc is supposedly haunted?
3. What seemingly supernatural event occurs when Montoni harasses Emily the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
4. In Chapter Nine of Volume Three, Emily composes a poem called "The Mariner". What role do Emily's poems play throughout the story?
5. Who has taken care of Theresa financially during Emily's absence from La Vallee, and what does this provision indicate?
6. What incident in Chapter Seven of Volume Four increases the reputation of the Marchioness de Villeroi's chamber at Chateau le Blanc as being haunted?
7. What is ironic about Emily's being sent to Tuscany for safety when castle di Udolpho is attacked?
8. What does Emily's likeness to the Marchioness' portrait foreshadow?
9. What does Valancourt's return to Theresa's cottage after Emily's rejection of him at the end of Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four indicate about his feelings for Emily?
10. In what ways is Blanche a mirror of Emily's character?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)