|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily see her father kissing in Chapter Two?
(a) A strange woman's hand.
(b) Her dead mother's portrait.
(c) The crucifix with which he prays.
(d) The miniature portrait of an unknown lady.
2. Who refuses to sign a marriage contract for Emily in Chapter Seven of Volume Two?
(b) Monsieur Quesnel.
(c) Madame Quesnel.
(d) Madame Montoni.
3. Why do Valancourt's fellow soldiers plot his demise?
(a) Montoni has hired them to kill Valancourt.
(b) They feel censured by Valancourt's reserve.
(c) They are pirates.
(d) Another soldier is a rival for Emily.
4. Who becomes Emily's guardian once Monsieur St. Albert dies?
(a) The Marquis de Villeroi.
(b) The abbess of the convent.
(c) Monsieur Quesnel.
(d) Madame Cheron.
5. How does Emily learn of what Monsieur Quesnel has done at La Vallee?
(a) It is in the Venice newspaper.
(b) Count Morano tells her.
(c) Valancourt writes her and tells her in his letter.
(d) Madame Montoni tells her.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does Emily compose a poem called "The Piedmontese"?
2. What mysterious sound does Emily hear at night in Chapter Ten of Volume Two?
3. At the fishing-house, what does Madame St. Albert notice is missing?
4. Who overhears a second plot to abduct Emily and thereby saves her from abduction?
5. Who locks Annette in a room for her safety?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Montoni inherit the castle from Signora Laurentini?
2. Why does Montoni want Emily to wear the most splendid dress she owns for dinner with his cavaliers?
3. How does Monsieur St. Albert respond to the news that he and Emily are near Chateau le Blanc?
4. Why does Madame Montoni want to go to castle di Udolpho in the Apennines?
5. What does the peasant La Voisin's desire to die and join his wife in Chapter Six seem to mirror in Monsieur St. Albert?
6. What does Count Morano do when his wedding to Emily does not take place as scheduled?
7. What ghost stories does Emily hear upon her arrival at castle di Udolpho?
8. What deathbed promise does the dying Monsieur St. Albert secure from Emily?
9. Does Monsieur Quesnel, Emily's maternal uncle and Monsieur St. Albert's brother-in-law, marry for love or for financial gain?
10. If Emily loves Valancourt, why does she not elope with him when he suggests doing so?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)