|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Ten, how much of her father's papers does Emily glimpse and read by accident before burning them?
(a) One letter.
(b) A single sentence.
(c) One paragraph.
(d) All of the letters.
2. Who overhears a second plot to abduct Emily and thereby saves her from abduction?
3. When Valancourt returns to Estuviere in Chapter Eleven, what does he worry about?
(a) His health.
(b) How to get back to his regiment.
(c) Emily's family not approving of his engagement to her.
(d) His finances.
4. Where does Valancourt walk with Emily and declare his love for her?
(a) The Chateau le Blanc.
(b) The gardens at La Vallee.
(d) The monastery of St. Clair.
5. What shocking thing does Montoni do when he and his wife and niece and friends take a gondola ride?
(a) He pushes his wife into the canal water.
(b) He gets drunk and gets into a fight with Cavigni.
(c) He boards another gondola and leaves his party.
(d) He tells his wife he has a mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who persuades Montoni to give his wife one day to reconsider her refusal to sign over her estates to him before he moves her to the east turret of the castle?
2. Why does Montoni feel defrauded by his wife in Chapter Three of Volume II?
3. What mysterious sound does Emily hear at night in Chapter Ten of Volume Two?
4. Who does Montoni blame for the incident with his glass?
5. In Chapter One of Volume Two, who stays out all night once Emily and her family arrive in Venice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Montoni behave to Madame Cheron prior to their marriage?
2. How does Emily respond to the news of her father's financial ruin?
3. Why does Ludovico begin to suspect that Montoni heads a band of robbers?
4. What does the peasant La Voisin's desire to die and join his wife in Chapter Six seem to mirror in Monsieur St. Albert?
5. Why does Montoni suspect someone has tried to poison him when his glass bursts during dinner in Chapter Ten of Volume Two?
6. What does Monsieur Quesnel do with the family estate at La Vallee, and what do his actions indicate?
7. If Emily loves Valancourt, why does she not elope with him when he suggests doing so?
8. Does Monsieur St. Albert approve of Valancourt as a suitor for his daughter, Emily?
9. What does Count Morano do when his wedding to Emily does not take place as scheduled?
10. Describe the seemingly supernatural voice that echoes Montoni's words in the castle di Udolpho.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)