|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Monsieur Quesnel done at La Vallee in Chapter Three of Volume Two?
(a) He has gambled away the property.
(b) He has leased the chateau and fired the housekeeper.
(c) He has set fire to the chateau.
(d) He has polluted the streams on the estate.
2. Who disappeared from castle di Udolpho twenty years earlier?
(a) Montoni's first wife.
(b) The Marquis de Villeroi.
(c) Signora Laurentini.
(d) The Marchioness de Villeroi.
3. Why do Valancourt's fellow soldiers plot his demise?
(a) They are pirates.
(b) They feel censured by Valancourt's reserve.
(c) Another soldier is a rival for Emily.
(d) Montoni has hired them to kill Valancourt.
4. Who suspects that Montoni is the captain of a band of robbers after seeing a party of banditti leaving the castle di Udolpho?
(d) Madame Montoni.
5. Why does Montoni feel defrauded by his wife in Chapter Three of Volume II?
(a) She is much older than she told him.
(b) She is not as rich as he believed before their marriage.
(c) She is in love with another man.
(d) She cannot bear children.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the banks of what river is the chateau of Monsieur St. Albert located?
2. What mysterious and seemingly supernatural occurrence happens while Montoni explains how he obtained the castle?
3. Which of the following does NOT happen when Emily refuses Count Morano's attempts to take her for a ride alone in Chapter Three of Volume Two?
4. Who is wounded in a fight after trying to kidnap Emily?
5. What information does Bernardine have for Emily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What delays Emily's forced marriage to Count Morano?
2. Why does Montoni suspect someone has tried to poison him when his glass bursts during dinner in Chapter Ten of Volume Two?
3. What mysterious things happen while Emily and her parents visit the fishing-house in Chapter One?
4. Does Monsieur Quesnel, Emily's maternal uncle and Monsieur St. Albert's brother-in-law, marry for love or for financial gain?
5. How does Ludovico's reason for locking Annette up differ from Montoni's reason for locking up Madame Montoni?
6. What does Madame Cheron's reversal of her opinion about Valancourt upon learning he is Madame Clairval's nephew indicate about her own character?
7. How does Montoni inherit the castle from Signora Laurentini?
8. In Chapter Seven of Volume Two, what does Madame Montoni learn about her husband's financial situation that makes her regret her marriage?
9. How does Emily respond to the news of her father's financial ruin?
10. Why does Emily conclude her aunt is probably dead once Montoni has the older woman taken away to the east turret?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)