|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Emily and Monsieur St. Albert are traveling in Chapter Three, who joins them in their travel, helps them acquire lodging, and joins them for dinner?
(a) Signor Montoni.
(c) Monsieur Quesnel.
(d) Madame Cheron.
2. Who refuses to sign a marriage contract for Emily in Chapter Seven of Volume Two?
(a) Madame Montoni.
(c) Madame Quesnel.
(d) Monsieur Quesnel.
3. How does Valancourt secure a visit to Madame Montoni's gardens in Chapter Eight of Volume Two?
(a) Emily sneaks him into the gardens.
(b) He climbs over a wall and sneaks into the gardens.
(c) He charges into the gardens with a sword.
(d) He bribes a servant.
4. How does Emily respond in Chapter Nine when she receives an invitation from Madame Cheron to go to Tholouse?
(a) Emily feigns illness to avoid having to go to Tholouse.
(b) Emily begs to stay at La Vallee a while longer.
(c) Emily runs away rather than go to Tholouse.
(d) Emily leaves at once for Tholouse.
5. At the fishing-house, what does Madame St. Albert notice is missing?
(a) Her medicine.
(b) Monsieur St. Albert's purse.
(c) Her locket with a miniature of Emily in it.
(d) Her handkerchief.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom is Monsieur St. Albert expecting letters in Chapter Six?
2. When Valancourt returns to Estuviere in Chapter Eleven, what does he worry about?
3. In Chapter Ten, how much of her father's papers does Emily glimpse and read by accident before burning them?
4. As Madame Clairval and Madame Cheron plan Emily's wedding to Valancourt in Chapter Thirteen, who declares himself Madame Cheron's suitor?
5. What does Montoni think the incident with his glass means?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Monsieur St. Albert approve of Valancourt as a suitor for his daughter, Emily?
2. What does the peasant La Voisin's desire to die and join his wife in Chapter Six seem to mirror in Monsieur St. Albert?
3. If Emily loves Valancourt, why does she not elope with him when he suggests doing so?
4. How does Monsieur St. Albert respond to the news that he and Emily are near Chateau le Blanc?
5. What does Monsieur Quesnel do with the family estate at La Vallee, and what do his actions indicate?
6. Why does Emily conclude her aunt is probably dead once Montoni has the older woman taken away to the east turret?
7. How does Emily respond to the news of her father's financial ruin?
8. Why is it improper for Valancourt to visit Emily in her gardens in Chapter Ten of Volume I?
9. What deathbed promise does the dying Monsieur St. Albert secure from Emily?
10. What does Madame Cheron's reversal of her opinion about Valancourt upon learning he is Madame Clairval's nephew indicate about her own character?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)