|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Ten of Volume Two, in what does Emily's aunt demonstrate a delight?
(a) Chocolate candy.
(c) Red wine.
(d) Lace and ribbons.
2. Why is Emily's engagement to Valancourt canceled?
(a) Her new uncle Montoni cancels it.
(b) Valancourt is arrested for a crime.
(c) Emily prefers another man.
(d) Valancourt prefers another woman.
3. In Chapter Four of Volume Two, who does Montoni threaten to force Emily to marry?
(c) Count Morano.
4. What is Emily's response to Valancourt's declaration of love?
(a) She admits to liking Valancourt but fears impropriety.
(b) She faints.
(c) She scorns Valancourt.
(d) She laughs at Valancourt.
5. Which member of the St. Albert family dies of a fever in Chapter One?
(a) Madame St. Albert.
(b) Monsieur St. Albert.
(c) Grandfather St. Albert.
(d) An infant son.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does M. St. Albert sell part of his family domain?
2. What does Emily do to assist the wounded man who tried to kidnap her?
3. What has Monsieur Quesnel done at La Vallee in Chapter Three of Volume Two?
4. What shocking thing does Montoni do when he and his wife and niece and friends take a gondola ride?
5. When Valancourt returns to Estuviere in Chapter Eleven, what does he worry about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ludovico's reason for locking Annette up differ from Montoni's reason for locking up Madame Montoni?
2. Why does Ludovico begin to suspect that Montoni heads a band of robbers?
3. Why is Montoni's ire because Count Morano is not as affluent as he pretended to be ironic?
4. Why does Count Morano think Emily accepts his affections for her?
5. Why does Emily conclude her aunt is probably dead once Montoni has the older woman taken away to the east turret?
6. Why does Montoni suspect someone has tried to poison him when his glass bursts during dinner in Chapter Ten of Volume Two?
7. Does Monsieur Quesnel, Emily's maternal uncle and Monsieur St. Albert's brother-in-law, marry for love or for financial gain?
8. Why does Madame Montoni want to go to castle di Udolpho in the Apennines?
9. Does Monsieur St. Albert approve of Valancourt as a suitor for his daughter, Emily?
10. Does Monsieur St. Albert marry for love or for financial gain?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)