|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Montoni say he received the castle di Udolpho?
(a) From a distant relation who he suspects killed herself.
(b) He won it in battle.
(c) He inherited it from his first wife.
(d) He inherited it from his mother.
2. While Emily and Monsieur St. Albert are traveling in Chapter Three, who joins them in their travel, helps them acquire lodging, and joins them for dinner?
(b) Signor Montoni.
(c) Monsieur Quesnel.
(d) Madame Cheron.
3. Who swears vengeance on Montoni in Chapter Seven of Volume Two?
(b) Count Morano.
(c) Madame Montoni.
4. How does Montoni respond when Emily questions him about the sudden move to the castle di Udolpho?
(a) He says he wants to protect her from Count Morano.
(b) He tells her to ask her aunt for the answers she wants.
(c) He ignores her and refuses to answer.
(d) He says he has urgent business to attend at the castle.
5. Who is Bernardine?
(a) The castle porter.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A cavalier.
(d) A pirate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Monsieur St. Albert require from Emily when he realizes he is dying?
2. What is Emily's response when Valancourt suggests eloping?
3. How does Emily learn of what Monsieur Quesnel has done at La Vallee?
4. At the fishing-house, what does Madame St. Albert notice is missing?
5. What does Emily find in an ivory case inside her dead father's purse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ludovico begin to suspect that Montoni heads a band of robbers?
2. Why is Montoni's ire because Count Morano is not as affluent as he pretended to be ironic?
3. What does Madame Cheron's reversal of her opinion about Valancourt upon learning he is Madame Clairval's nephew indicate about her own character?
4. Why does Count Morano think Emily accepts his affections for her?
5. What delays Emily's forced marriage to Count Morano?
6. What ghost stories does Emily hear upon her arrival at castle di Udolpho?
7. If Emily loves Valancourt, why does she not elope with him when he suggests doing so?
8. Does Monsieur St. Albert approve of Valancourt as a suitor for his daughter, Emily?
9. What mysterious things happen while Emily and her parents visit the fishing-house in Chapter One?
10. What does Count Morano do when his wedding to Emily does not take place as scheduled?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)