|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Valancourt admits about himself in Chapter One of Volume Four?
(a) That he yields to the temptations of Paris.
(b) That he will always love Emily.
(c) That he is ruined by debt.
(d) That he is an alcoholic.
2. Who is Maddelina?
(a) Montoni's daughter from his first marriage.
(b) A peasant's daughter in Tuscany who befriends Emily.
(c) One of the nuns.
(d) A maid.
3. Who sleeps in the chamber with Annette and Emily to protect them from Montoni's henchmen?
4. Where does Emily reunite with Valancourt in Chapter Thirteen of Volume Three?
(a) In church.
(b) At Chateau Le Blanc.
(c) At a dance.
(d) At the convent.
5. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) Her family's surname.
(b) Her name.
(c) Her image.
(d) A poem entitled "Shipwreck".
6. What does Count De Villefort reveal about Valancourt?
(a) That Valancourt has royal blood.
(b) That Valancourt plunders and lives a life of debauchery.
(c) That Valancourt is married to another woman.
(d) That Valancourt has a fatal illness.
7. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
(a) That his behavior won't cause her unhappiness for long.
(b) That she will never have any man but him.
(c) That she will find true love with Du Pont.
(d) That she will forgive him and still agree to marry him.
8. What news does Monsieur Quesnel give Emily in a letter?
(a) That Montoni is dead.
(b) That he is ill.
(c) That he wants her to live with him and his wife.
(d) That he has found her a husband.
9. Why is Emily summoned back to the castle di Udolpho in Chapter Eight of Volume Three?
(a) Annette is injured and needs her.
(b) Montoni is dying.
(c) The siege of the castle has ended.
(d) Montoni wants to marry her.
10. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
(a) She fears he is bankrupt.
(b) She fears he is in jail.
(c) She fears he is dead.
(d) She fears he has married another woman.
11. Who escorts Emily to safety when Udolpho is threatened by an enemy in Chapter Six of Volume Three?
(a) Ugo and Bertrand, two of Montoni's soldiers.
(b) Count Morano.
12. Who advises Emily on recovering her aunt's estates from Montoni?
(c) Count De Villefort.
(d) Du Pont.
13. What happens to Count De Villefort, Blanche and the St. Foixes when they decide to head toward La Vallee in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(a) They get robbed by gypsies.
(b) They become ill with a fever.
(c) They get lost en route and take shelter in a strange chateau.
(d) They are attacked by soldiers.
14. When the servants whisper that the Chateau Le Blanc is haunted, how does Count de Villefort respond?
(a) He orders everyone to pray for the chateau.
(b) He summons a priest to bless the place.
(c) He forbids anyone to say such a thing again.
(d) He scoffs at the idea of ghosts.
15. Where does Emily go to avoid an unwanted suitor in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(b) La Vallee.
(c) The convent.
(d) The monastery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who escorts Emily and Maddelina when they take walks together?
2. With what does Monsieur Quesnel want to assist Emily?
3. Who sleeps in the Marchioness de Villeroi's supposedly haunted apartments but refuses to discuss the experience?
4. Which suitor of Emily's returns to Chateau le Blanc and is encouraged by Count De Villefort to hope he will win Emily?
5. Which of the following statements is NOT something that Sister Frances tells Emily about sister Agnes' history?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)