|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who advises Emily on recovering her aunt's estates from Montoni?
(a) Count De Villefort.
(c) Du Pont.
2. What does Blanche think of Chateau le Blanc?
(a) She prefers living in the convent.
(b) She thinks it is creepy and haunted.
(c) She thinks it's too big.
(d) She is pleased with its beauty.
3. Who does Emily beg not to forsake her as all have done since her father's death?
(b) Madame Montoni.
4. With what does Monsieur Quesnel want to assist Emily?
(a) Entering the convent and becoming a nun.
(b) Prosecuting Montoni for mistreating her aunt.
(c) Finding a husband.
(d) Claiming her aunt's estates.
5. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
(a) She fears he is bankrupt.
(b) She fears he has married another woman.
(c) She fears he is dead.
(d) She fears he is in jail.
6. Who helps Count De Villefort's party escape from the banditti?
7. In Chapter Six of Volume Three, who repeats Montoni's threats to Emily about her estates?
(d) A groaning disembodied voice.
8. When the servants whisper that the Chateau Le Blanc is haunted, how does Count de Villefort respond?
(a) He summons a priest to bless the place.
(b) He forbids anyone to say such a thing again.
(c) He scoffs at the idea of ghosts.
(d) He orders everyone to pray for the chateau.
9. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) Her image.
(b) Her name.
(c) A poem entitled "Shipwreck".
(d) Her family's surname.
10. Who do Emily and Annette learn is behind the kidnapping scheme in Chapter One of Volume Three, and the attempt to poison Montoni?
(a) Count Morano.
11. Why does Ludovico visit the castle prisoner to try to learn his identity?
(a) Emily hears his music and thinks the prisoner is Valancourt.
(b) He thinks the prisoner may be his long lost brother.
(c) Montoni orders him to visit the prisoner.
(d) The prisoner begs for assistance through the castle walls.
12. When Emily recovers from her faint in Chapter One of Volume Three, who is surrounding her and trying to kidnap her?
(a) Soldiers from Valancourt's regiment who hate Valancourt.
(b) Ruffians in league with Bernardine.
(c) Her uncle's cavaliers.
13. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
(a) That his behavior won't cause her unhappiness for long.
(b) That she will forgive him and still agree to marry him.
(c) That she will never have any man but him.
(d) That she will find true love with Du Pont.
14. Who serves as the emissary between Emily and Bernardine in Chapter One of Volume Three?
(c) Madame Montoni.
15. Why doesn't Theresa's messenger get any information about Valancourt in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) Valancourt has married another woman.
(b) No one has heard from Valancourt.
(c) Valancourt has a bad fever and is unconscious.
(d) Valancourt is in jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emily go to avoid an unwanted suitor in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
2. Who is beaten by the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
3. Who comes to Emily's rescue and saves her from her kidnappers?
4. Why does Emily sign her aunt's estates over to Montoni?
5. What seeming supernatural events happen in the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)