|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montoni threaten if Emily does not give him the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
(a) That he will murder her.
(b) That she will not have her Languedoc or Gascony estates.
(c) That he will force her to marry him.
(d) That he will force her to wed Count Morano.
2. What does Count De Villefort reveal about Valancourt?
(a) That Valancourt has a fatal illness.
(b) That Valancourt is married to another woman.
(c) That Valancourt has royal blood.
(d) That Valancourt plunders and lives a life of debauchery.
3. Who escorts Emily and Maddelina when they take walks together?
4. Who advises Emily on recovering her aunt's estates from Montoni?
(c) Count De Villefort.
(d) Du Pont.
5. Who does Emily think made the carving she finds near the chateau?
(a) Du Pont.
(c) Count Morano.
6. Who escorts Emily to safety when Udolpho is threatened by an enemy in Chapter Six of Volume Three?
(b) Count Morano.
(d) Ugo and Bertrand, two of Montoni's soldiers.
7. Who does Bernardine tell Emily to bring with her when she meets him?
(b) No one, she is to come alone.
8. Who visits the Chateau Le Blanc and becomes enamored with Blanche?
(a) Chevalier St. Foix.
(d) Chevalier Du Pont.
9. Who prepares Madame Montoni's corpse for burial?
(c) Emily and Annette.
(d) The nuns from the convent.
10. Who thinks Emily resembles the dead Marchioness de Villeroi, the former lady of the Chateau le Blanc?
(a) The Count De Villefort.
(d) The Countess De Villefort.
11. With what does Monsieur Quesnel want to assist Emily?
(a) Entering the convent and becoming a nun.
(b) Prosecuting Montoni for mistreating her aunt.
(c) Claiming her aunt's estates.
(d) Finding a husband.
12. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
(a) She fears he is bankrupt.
(b) She fears he is dead.
(c) She fears he has married another woman.
(d) She fears he is in jail.
13. Where does Bernardine tell Emily to meet him at midnight?
(a) The terrace.
(b) The drawing room.
(c) The garden.
(d) The dungeon.
14. To what does the betrayal of Montoni lead?
(a) Montoni's prayers of repentance.
(b) Montoni's plot for vengeance.
(c) Count Morano's release from prison.
(d) A burning of the castle di Udolpho.
15. Who gives Theresa money and a ring to give to Emily to remember him by?
(b) Count Morano.
(c) Du Pont.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Theresa living when Emily visits her in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
2. Who composes the poem "To Autumn" in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
3. Who do Emily and Annette learn is behind the kidnapping scheme in Chapter One of Volume Three, and the attempt to poison Montoni?
4. Who comes to Emily's rescue and saves her from her kidnappers?
5. Who does Emily believe is being held prisoner in the castle after she hears the song from the lower room?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)