|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who betrays Montoni in Chapter Three of Volume Four?
(a) His condottieri.
(b) Count Morano.
2. After the storm, what does Count De Villefort and his family hear while returning to their chateau in their carriage?
(a) A distress signal from a ship stuck in the storm.
(b) A woman's scream.
(c) A lute playing in the woods.
(d) A wolf's howl.
3. When Emily rushes forward to greet the prisoner, in whose arms does she find herself?
(a) Count Morano's.
(c) Chevalier Du Pont, a longtime admirer of hers.
4. Who is imprisoned in Chapter Eight of Volume Three because of accusations sent by Montoni?
(d) Count Morano.
5. What seeming supernatural events happen in the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
(a) A glowing apparition appears and utters strange moans.
(b) A disembodied voice speaks from the walls.
(c) The bed pall moves & a face appears above the bed.
(d) A strange mist appears and seems to take human form.
6. When Emily says she doesn't want to see Valancourt again, what does Valancourt blame for her change of affection?
(a) His lack of fortune.
(b) Montoni's influence on Emily.
(c) Count De Villefort's promotion of Du Pont as a suitor.
(d) His own bad behavior.
7. Who advises Emily on recovering her aunt's estates from Montoni?
(a) Count De Villefort.
(d) Du Pont.
8. Who prepares Madame Montoni's corpse for burial?
(c) Emily and Annette.
(d) The nuns from the convent.
9. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
(a) Back to her father's estate at La Vallee.
(b) To the nuns at the convent.
(c) To the monastery at St. Clair.
(d) To a peasant's cottage in Tuscany where she will be safe.
10. Who serves as the emissary between Emily and Bernardine in Chapter One of Volume Three?
(a) Madame Montoni.
11. Who escorts Emily to safety when Udolpho is threatened by an enemy in Chapter Six of Volume Three?
(a) Count Morano.
(d) Ugo and Bertrand, two of Montoni's soldiers.
12. Who does Emily beg not to forsake her as all have done since her father's death?
(c) Madame Montoni.
13. Who do Emily and Annette learn is behind the kidnapping scheme in Chapter One of Volume Three, and the attempt to poison Montoni?
(d) Count Morano.
14. Who does Bernardine tell Emily to bring with her when she meets him?
(c) No one, she is to come alone.
15. What news does Monsieur Quesnel give Emily in a letter?
(a) That he has found her a husband.
(b) That he is ill.
(c) That Montoni is dead.
(d) That he wants her to live with him and his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the odd flame on Antonio's lance viewed as?
2. Who is Blanche?
3. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
4. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
5. Which of the following is NOT part of the story that Dorothee tells Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)