|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily see in Chapter One of Volume Three that makes her faint?
(a) A pirate wielding a large sword.
(c) A bloody corpse.
(d) Her aunt chained to a wall.
2. Who helps Count De Villefort's party escape from the banditti?
3. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
(a) That she will never have any man but him.
(b) That she will find true love with Du Pont.
(c) That his behavior won't cause her unhappiness for long.
(d) That she will forgive him and still agree to marry him.
4. Who serves as the emissary between Emily and Bernardine in Chapter One of Volume Three?
(b) Madame Montoni.
5. To what does the betrayal of Montoni lead?
(a) Montoni's plot for vengeance.
(b) Montoni's prayers of repentance.
(c) A burning of the castle di Udolpho.
(d) Count Morano's release from prison.
6. Which of the following is NOT part of the story that Dorothee tells Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi?
(a) The Marquis grew jealous and the Marchioness died.
(b) She loved her husband very much.
(c) She came to the Chateau le Blanc twenty years ago.
(d) She was forced to marry the Marquis but loved another.
7. What seeming supernatural events happen in the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
(a) A strange mist appears and seems to take human form.
(b) A glowing apparition appears and utters strange moans.
(c) A disembodied voice speaks from the walls.
(d) The bed pall moves & a face appears above the bed.
8. Why doesn't Theresa's messenger get any information about Valancourt in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) No one has heard from Valancourt.
(b) Valancourt has a bad fever and is unconscious.
(c) Valancourt is in jail.
(d) Valancourt has married another woman.
9. When the servants whisper that the Chateau Le Blanc is haunted, how does Count de Villefort respond?
(a) He summons a priest to bless the place.
(b) He orders everyone to pray for the chateau.
(c) He scoffs at the idea of ghosts.
(d) He forbids anyone to say such a thing again.
10. Who does Emily hear arguing with Montoni about a former promise regarding her?
(c) Verezzi and Bertolini.
11. Who thinks Emily resembles the dead Marchioness de Villeroi, the former lady of the Chateau le Blanc?
(c) The Countess De Villefort.
(d) The Count De Villefort.
12. What message does Emily ask Theresa to send to Valancourt's steward in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) That she forgives him.
(b) That she still loves him.
(c) An inquiry about his condition.
(d) That she needs to see him.
13. Who is Maddelina?
(a) A maid.
(b) One of the nuns.
(c) A peasant's daughter in Tuscany who befriends Emily.
(d) Montoni's daughter from his first marriage.
14. Who betrays Montoni in Chapter Three of Volume Four?
(c) Count Morano.
(d) His condottieri.
15. When Emily says she doesn't want to see Valancourt again, what does Valancourt blame for her change of affection?
(a) His own bad behavior.
(b) Count De Villefort's promotion of Du Pont as a suitor.
(c) His lack of fortune.
(d) Montoni's influence on Emily.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reveals that he is the figure on the ramparts and the disembodied voice from a chamber between the walls at Udolpho?
2. Where is Theresa living when Emily visits her in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
3. Who sleeps in the chamber with Annette and Emily to protect them from Montoni's henchmen?
4. Who do Emily and Annette learn is behind the kidnapping scheme in Chapter One of Volume Three, and the attempt to poison Montoni?
5. Where does Emily go to avoid an unwanted suitor in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)