|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Blanche gets separated from the rest of the Count De Villefort's party, what does she overhear?
(a) A plot to kidnap her father.
(b) A ghostly wail.
(c) A plot to rob and murder her and her party.
(d) Weeping in a secret chamber.
2. After the storm, what does Count De Villefort and his family hear while returning to their chateau in their carriage?
(a) A distress signal from a ship stuck in the storm.
(b) A lute playing in the woods.
(c) A woman's scream.
(d) A wolf's howl.
3. When Dorothee and Emily visit the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi, what does Dorothee unexpectedly throw over Emily?
(a) The Marchioness' veil.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A set of rosary beads.
(d) A glass of holy water.
4. Why does Montoni refuse Emily's request to leave Udolpho?
(a) She refuses to relinquish her aunt's estates.
(b) He wants to marry her now.
(c) He wants her to marry Orsini.
(d) He wants her to get over her grief before she travels.
5. What does Emily see in Chapter One of Volume Three that makes her faint?
(a) Her aunt chained to a wall.
(b) A pirate wielding a large sword.
(d) A bloody corpse.
6. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
(a) She fears he is dead.
(b) She fears he is bankrupt.
(c) She fears he has married another woman.
(d) She fears he is in jail.
7. Who helps Count De Villefort's party escape from the banditti?
8. Who is beaten by the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(b) St. Foixe.
(c) Count De Villefort.
9. Who does Bernardine tell Emily to bring with her when she meets him?
(d) No one, she is to come alone.
10. What kind of song does Emily hear from a lower room in Chapter Five of Volume Three?
(a) A bawdy song.
(b) A Spanish song.
(c) A French song.
(d) An English song.
11. What does Blanche think of Chateau le Blanc?
(a) She prefers living in the convent.
(b) She thinks it is creepy and haunted.
(c) She thinks it's too big.
(d) She is pleased with its beauty.
12. Who seems to have vanished from the Marchioness de Villeroi's haunted chamber in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(d) Du Pont.
13. Who sleeps in the Marchioness de Villeroi's supposedly haunted apartments but refuses to discuss the experience?
(b) The Count De Villefort.
(c) Du Pont.
14. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
(a) Back to her father's estate at La Vallee.
(b) To a peasant's cottage in Tuscany where she will be safe.
(c) To the monastery at St. Clair.
(d) To the nuns at the convent.
15. Where does Emily reunite with Valancourt in Chapter Thirteen of Volume Three?
(a) At the convent.
(b) At a dance.
(c) At Chateau Le Blanc.
(d) In church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Signora Livona?
2. Who sleeps in the chamber with Annette and Emily to protect them from Montoni's henchmen?
3. What does Dorothee tell Blanche happened to the previous lady of the chateau?
4. Who inherits Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Ten of Volume Three?
5. Which of the following is NOT part of the story that Dorothee tells Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)