|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dorothee tell Blanche happened to the previous lady of the chateau?
(a) The lady died in childbirth.
(b) The lady ran away with a lover and died of a fever.
(c) The lady became a nun.
(d) The lady died in her bedchamber.
2. Why does Montoni refuse Emily's request to leave Udolpho?
(a) He wants her to get over her grief before she travels.
(b) She refuses to relinquish her aunt's estates.
(c) He wants her to marry Orsini.
(d) He wants to marry her now.
3. What does Count De Villefort reveal about Valancourt?
(a) That Valancourt has a fatal illness.
(b) That Valancourt is married to another woman.
(c) That Valancourt has royal blood.
(d) That Valancourt plunders and lives a life of debauchery.
4. Who is Signora Livona?
(a) Montoni's mistress.
(b) A female pirate.
(c) A nun at the convent.
(d) Montoni's sister.
5. Which of the following statements is NOT something that Sister Frances tells Emily about sister Agnes' history?
(a) Sister Agnes' father told everyone she had died.
(b) Sister Agnes was forced to marry a man she disliked.
(c) Sister Agnes went crazy because she mourns a dead child.
(d) Sister Agnes' father conveyed her to the convent.
6. Who does Emily beg not to forsake her as all have done since her father's death?
(d) Madame Montoni.
7. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, who knocks on the door, shocking Emily into a faint?
(c) Count Morano.
8. Who reveals that he is the figure on the ramparts and the disembodied voice from a chamber between the walls at Udolpho?
(a) Chevalier Du Pont.
9. When Montoni grants Emily permission to visit her aunt, in what state does Emily find Madame Montoni?
(a) Very sick and emaciated and clearly near death.
(b) Wounded and losing a lot of blood.
(c) Bound and gagged.
(d) Hysterical and unable to stop screaming.
10. Which of the following does NOT describe what happens during Ludovico's meeting with the castle prisoner?
(a) The prisoner turns out to be Valancourt.
(b) The prisoner returns the stolen miniature of Emily.
(c) The prisoner wants to meet with Emily.
(d) The prisoner refuses to reveal his name.
11. After the storm, what does Count De Villefort and his family hear while returning to their chateau in their carriage?
(a) A wolf's howl.
(b) A woman's scream.
(c) A distress signal from a ship stuck in the storm.
(d) A lute playing in the woods.
12. Which of the following is NOT something Valancourt admits about himself in Chapter One of Volume Four?
(a) That he is ruined by debt.
(b) That he is an alcoholic.
(c) That he will always love Emily.
(d) That he yields to the temptations of Paris.
13. Who does Emily believe is being held prisoner in the castle after she hears the song from the lower room?
(d) Monsieur Quesnel.
14. What does Dorothee tell Emily about the mysterious music heard at the Chateau le Blanc?
(a) It is Emily's imagination.
(b) It is only heard when someone is going to die soon.
(c) Dorothee plays it.
(d) It has played since the death of the chateau's previous lady.
15. Where does Emily go to avoid an unwanted suitor in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) The monastery.
(c) La Vallee.
(d) The convent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emily think she spies Valancourt in Chapter Ten of Volume Four?
2. What news does Monsieur Quesnel give Emily in a letter?
3. Why is Sister Agnes rude to Emily?
4. In Chapter Ten of Volume Four, who shoots the man who might have been Valancourt, taking him for a robber?
5. With what does Monsieur Quesnel want to assist Emily?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)