|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who composes the poem "To Autumn" in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) Madame Montoni.
(c) Count De Villefort.
(d) Monsieur Quesnel.
2. Who reveals that he is the figure on the ramparts and the disembodied voice from a chamber between the walls at Udolpho?
(d) Chevalier Du Pont.
3. Where does Bernardine tell Emily to meet him at midnight?
(a) The garden.
(b) The drawing room.
(c) The terrace.
(d) The dungeon.
4. Which of the following is NOT something Valancourt admits about himself in Chapter One of Volume Four?
(a) That he yields to the temptations of Paris.
(b) That he is an alcoholic.
(c) That he will always love Emily.
(d) That he is ruined by debt.
5. When Emily says she doesn't want to see Valancourt again, what does Valancourt blame for her change of affection?
(a) Montoni's influence on Emily.
(b) His own bad behavior.
(c) Count De Villefort's promotion of Du Pont as a suitor.
(d) His lack of fortune.
6. How does Emily feel about Du Pont?
(a) She fears he is in league with Montoni.
(b) She feels he wants her estates more than he wants her.
(c) She prefers him to Valancourt.
(d) She esteems him but loves Valancourt.
7. What does Montoni threaten if Emily does not give him the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
(a) That she will not have her Languedoc or Gascony estates.
(b) That he will murder her.
(c) That he will force her to wed Count Morano.
(d) That he will force her to marry him.
8. What is the odd flame on Antonio's lance viewed as?
(a) An omen of an impending death.
(b) A sign of impending victory in battle.
(c) An omen of bad luck.
(d) An indication that the castle is haunted.
9. Which of the following does NOT describe what happens during Ludovico's meeting with the castle prisoner?
(a) The prisoner returns the stolen miniature of Emily.
(b) The prisoner wants to meet with Emily.
(c) The prisoner turns out to be Valancourt.
(d) The prisoner refuses to reveal his name.
10. What does Blanche think of Chateau le Blanc?
(a) She thinks it's too big.
(b) She is pleased with its beauty.
(c) She prefers living in the convent.
(d) She thinks it is creepy and haunted.
11. What happens to Count De Villefort, Blanche and the St. Foixes when they decide to head toward La Vallee in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(a) They are attacked by soldiers.
(b) They become ill with a fever.
(c) They get lost en route and take shelter in a strange chateau.
(d) They get robbed by gypsies.
12. Who does Emily believe is being held prisoner in the castle after she hears the song from the lower room?
(c) Monsieur Quesnel.
13. Who serves as the emissary between Emily and Bernardine in Chapter One of Volume Three?
(b) Madame Montoni.
14. When Emily recovers from her faint in Chapter One of Volume Three, who is surrounding her and trying to kidnap her?
(a) Her uncle's cavaliers.
(b) Ruffians in league with Bernardine.
(d) Soldiers from Valancourt's regiment who hate Valancourt.
15. Who comes to Emily's rescue and saves her from her kidnappers?
(a) Monsieur Quesnel.
(d) Montoni and his cavaliers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Blanche gets separated from the rest of the Count De Villefort's party, what does she overhear?
2. Why doesn't Theresa's messenger get any information about Valancourt in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
3. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
4. Who visits the Chateau Le Blanc and becomes enamored with Blanche?
5. Who is Blanche?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)