|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ludovico visit the castle prisoner to try to learn his identity?
(a) He thinks the prisoner may be his long lost brother.
(b) The prisoner begs for assistance through the castle walls.
(c) Montoni orders him to visit the prisoner.
(d) Emily hears his music and thinks the prisoner is Valancourt.
2. Who visits the Chateau Le Blanc and becomes enamored with Blanche?
(a) Chevalier Du Pont.
(c) Chevalier St. Foix.
3. Who rescues Emily, Du Pont, Annette and Ludovico in Chapter Eleven of Section Three?
(a) Nuns from the convent.
(b) Monks from the monastery.
(c) Count De Villefort and his family.
4. When Montoni grants Emily permission to visit her aunt, in what state does Emily find Madame Montoni?
(a) Wounded and losing a lot of blood.
(b) Bound and gagged.
(c) Hysterical and unable to stop screaming.
(d) Very sick and emaciated and clearly near death.
5. Where does Emily reunite with Valancourt in Chapter Thirteen of Volume Three?
(a) At the convent.
(b) In church.
(c) At a dance.
(d) At Chateau Le Blanc.
6. What news does Monsieur Quesnel give Emily in a letter?
(a) That he wants her to live with him and his wife.
(b) That he is ill.
(c) That Montoni is dead.
(d) That he has found her a husband.
7. Who faints and is taken captive by banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(b) St. Foixe.
(d) Countess De Villefort.
8. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) Her image.
(b) Her family's surname.
(c) Her name.
(d) A poem entitled "Shipwreck".
9. Who composes the poem "To Autumn" in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) Madame Montoni.
(b) Monsieur Quesnel.
(d) Count De Villefort.
10. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
(a) Back to her father's estate at La Vallee.
(b) To the nuns at the convent.
(c) To the monastery at St. Clair.
(d) To a peasant's cottage in Tuscany where she will be safe.
11. Where does Bernardine tell Emily to meet him at midnight?
(a) The terrace.
(b) The dungeon.
(c) The drawing room.
(d) The garden.
12. To what does the betrayal of Montoni lead?
(a) Montoni's prayers of repentance.
(b) A burning of the castle di Udolpho.
(c) Montoni's plot for vengeance.
(d) Count Morano's release from prison.
13. Who volunteers to spend the night in the supposedly haunted chamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
14. What signals Emily that the prisoner is leaving his prison and has come to meet her?
(a) A whistle.
(b) A red handkerchief.
(c) The playing of a lute.
(d) A candle in a window.
15. With what does Monsieur Quesnel want to assist Emily?
(a) Entering the convent and becoming a nun.
(b) Prosecuting Montoni for mistreating her aunt.
(c) Finding a husband.
(d) Claiming her aunt's estates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bernardine tell Emily to bring with her when she meets him?
2. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
3. When Blanche gets separated from the rest of the Count De Villefort's party, what does she overhear?
4. When Emily rushes forward to greet the prisoner, in whose arms does she find herself?
5. What does Emily see in Chapter One of Volume Three that makes her faint?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)