|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
(a) Get lost in the woods.
(b) Take shelter in a cave.
(c) Take shelter in the monastery.
(d) Crash their boat.
2. Who reveals that he is the figure on the ramparts and the disembodied voice from a chamber between the walls at Udolpho?
(c) Chevalier Du Pont.
3. What does Dorothee tell Blanche happened to the previous lady of the chateau?
(a) The lady ran away with a lover and died of a fever.
(b) The lady died in childbirth.
(c) The lady became a nun.
(d) The lady died in her bedchamber.
4. Why is Emily summoned back to the castle di Udolpho in Chapter Eight of Volume Three?
(a) Montoni is dying.
(b) Annette is injured and needs her.
(c) Montoni wants to marry her.
(d) The siege of the castle has ended.
5. Who gives Theresa money and a ring to give to Emily to remember him by?
(a) Du Pont.
(c) Count Morano.
6. How does Emily feel about Du Pont?
(a) She feels he wants her estates more than he wants her.
(b) She prefers him to Valancourt.
(c) She fears he is in league with Montoni.
(d) She esteems him but loves Valancourt.
7. Who does Emily think made the carving she finds near the chateau?
(a) Count Morano.
(c) Du Pont.
8. Which of the following is NOT something Valancourt admits about himself in Chapter One of Volume Four?
(a) That he is ruined by debt.
(b) That he will always love Emily.
(c) That he yields to the temptations of Paris.
(d) That he is an alcoholic.
9. Why does Emily sign her aunt's estates over to Montoni?
(a) She thinks Montoni will kill her if she doesn't.
(b) She is in love with Montoni.
(c) Montoni promises to release her from Udolpho if she does.
(d) She thinks Montoni will imprison her if she doesn't.
10. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, who knocks on the door, shocking Emily into a faint?
(c) Count Morano.
11. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
(a) She fears he has married another woman.
(b) She fears he is bankrupt.
(c) She fears he is dead.
(d) She fears he is in jail.
12. When Montoni grants Emily permission to visit her aunt, in what state does Emily find Madame Montoni?
(a) Hysterical and unable to stop screaming.
(b) Wounded and losing a lot of blood.
(c) Bound and gagged.
(d) Very sick and emaciated and clearly near death.
13. With what does Monsieur Quesnel want to assist Emily?
(a) Entering the convent and becoming a nun.
(b) Finding a husband.
(c) Claiming her aunt's estates.
(d) Prosecuting Montoni for mistreating her aunt.
14. In Chapter Six of Volume Three, who repeats Montoni's threats to Emily about her estates?
(a) A groaning disembodied voice.
15. Why is Sister Agnes rude to Emily?
(a) Sister Agnes mistakes Emily for someone else.
(b) Sister Agnes thinks Emily was rude to Valancourt.
(c) Sister Agnes is insane.
(d) Emily is not Catholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees and chases Emily when she overhears Montoni's argument about a former promise regarding her?
2. What message does Emily ask Theresa to send to Valancourt's steward in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
3. Who advises Emily on recovering her aunt's estates from Montoni?
4. Who prepares Madame Montoni's corpse for burial?
5. What happens to Count De Villefort, Blanche and the St. Foixes when they decide to head toward La Vallee in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)