|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seeming supernatural events happen in the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
(a) A strange mist appears and seems to take human form.
(b) A glowing apparition appears and utters strange moans.
(c) The bed pall moves & a face appears above the bed.
(d) A disembodied voice speaks from the walls.
2. Why doesn't Theresa's messenger get any information about Valancourt in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) Valancourt is in jail.
(b) Valancourt has married another woman.
(c) Valancourt has a bad fever and is unconscious.
(d) No one has heard from Valancourt.
3. Who serves as the emissary between Emily and Bernardine in Chapter One of Volume Three?
(d) Madame Montoni.
4. Who seems to have vanished from the Marchioness de Villeroi's haunted chamber in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(c) Du Pont.
5. When Emily recovers from her faint in Chapter One of Volume Three, who is surrounding her and trying to kidnap her?
(a) Her uncle's cavaliers.
(c) Ruffians in league with Bernardine.
(d) Soldiers from Valancourt's regiment who hate Valancourt.
6. When the servants whisper that the Chateau Le Blanc is haunted, how does Count de Villefort respond?
(a) He orders everyone to pray for the chateau.
(b) He scoffs at the idea of ghosts.
(c) He summons a priest to bless the place.
(d) He forbids anyone to say such a thing again.
7. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
(a) Get lost in the woods.
(b) Take shelter in the monastery.
(c) Take shelter in a cave.
(d) Crash their boat.
8. What does Emily see in Chapter One of Volume Three that makes her faint?
(b) Her aunt chained to a wall.
(c) A pirate wielding a large sword.
(d) A bloody corpse.
9. When Blanche gets separated from the rest of the Count De Villefort's party, what does she overhear?
(a) Weeping in a secret chamber.
(b) A plot to kidnap her father.
(c) A plot to rob and murder her and her party.
(d) A ghostly wail.
10. Why does Emily sign her aunt's estates over to Montoni?
(a) She is in love with Montoni.
(b) Montoni promises to release her from Udolpho if she does.
(c) She thinks Montoni will kill her if she doesn't.
(d) She thinks Montoni will imprison her if she doesn't.
11. What does Blanche think of Chateau le Blanc?
(a) She prefers living in the convent.
(b) She thinks it is creepy and haunted.
(c) She is pleased with its beauty.
(d) She thinks it's too big.
12. Who is Maddelina?
(a) A peasant's daughter in Tuscany who befriends Emily.
(b) Montoni's daughter from his first marriage.
(c) One of the nuns.
(d) A maid.
13. Why is Emily summoned back to the castle di Udolpho in Chapter Eight of Volume Three?
(a) The siege of the castle has ended.
(b) Annette is injured and needs her.
(c) Montoni is dying.
(d) Montoni wants to marry her.
14. Where does Emily go to avoid an unwanted suitor in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) La Vallee.
(b) The monastery.
(d) The convent.
15. When Emily rushes forward to greet the prisoner, in whose arms does she find herself?
(a) Count Morano's.
(c) Chevalier Du Pont, a longtime admirer of hers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Six of Volume Three, who repeats Montoni's threats to Emily about her estates?
2. Who is imprisoned in Chapter Eight of Volume Three because of accusations sent by Montoni?
3. Who escorts Emily and Maddelina when they take walks together?
4. Where does Emily reunite with Valancourt in Chapter Thirteen of Volume Three?
5. Who rescues Emily, Du Pont, Annette and Ludovico in Chapter Eleven of Section Three?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)