|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message does Emily ask Theresa to send to Valancourt's steward in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) That she needs to see him.
(b) That she still loves him.
(c) An inquiry about his condition.
(d) That she forgives him.
2. Who does Emily hear arguing with Montoni about a former promise regarding her?
(d) Verezzi and Bertolini.
3. Who faints and is taken captive by banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(a) St. Foixe.
(c) Countess De Villefort.
4. To what does the betrayal of Montoni lead?
(a) Montoni's plot for vengeance.
(b) Montoni's prayers of repentance.
(c) Count Morano's release from prison.
(d) A burning of the castle di Udolpho.
5. Who comes to Emily's rescue and saves her from her kidnappers?
(a) Monsieur Quesnel.
(b) Montoni and his cavaliers.
6. With what does Monsieur Quesnel want to assist Emily?
(a) Claiming her aunt's estates.
(b) Entering the convent and becoming a nun.
(c) Finding a husband.
(d) Prosecuting Montoni for mistreating her aunt.
7. When Emily rushes forward to greet the prisoner, in whose arms does she find herself?
(a) Chevalier Du Pont, a longtime admirer of hers.
(b) Count Morano's.
8. Who is beaten by the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(a) Count De Villefort.
(d) St. Foixe.
9. Who is imprisoned in Chapter Eight of Volume Three because of accusations sent by Montoni?
(c) Count Morano.
10. To where does Emily ask Montoni to let her go once her aunt is buried?
(a) To the monastery of St. Clair.
(b) To France.
(c) To Valancourt.
(d) To the convent.
11. Why does Emily sign her aunt's estates over to Montoni?
(a) Montoni promises to release her from Udolpho if she does.
(b) She thinks Montoni will imprison her if she doesn't.
(c) She is in love with Montoni.
(d) She thinks Montoni will kill her if she doesn't.
12. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
(a) To the monastery at St. Clair.
(b) To the nuns at the convent.
(c) To a peasant's cottage in Tuscany where she will be safe.
(d) Back to her father's estate at La Vallee.
13. Which of the following does NOT describe what happens during Ludovico's meeting with the castle prisoner?
(a) The prisoner returns the stolen miniature of Emily.
(b) The prisoner wants to meet with Emily.
(c) The prisoner turns out to be Valancourt.
(d) The prisoner refuses to reveal his name.
14. When Blanche gets separated from the rest of the Count De Villefort's party, what does she overhear?
(a) A plot to kidnap her father.
(b) A plot to rob and murder her and her party.
(c) Weeping in a secret chamber.
(d) A ghostly wail.
15. Who betrays Montoni in Chapter Three of Volume Four?
(c) His condottieri.
(d) Count Morano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
2. What does Dorothee tell Blanche happened to the previous lady of the chateau?
3. What seeming supernatural events happen in the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
4. Who escorts Emily to safety when Udolpho is threatened by an enemy in Chapter Six of Volume Three?
5. What does Blanche think of Chateau le Blanc?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)