|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Emily recovers from her faint in Chapter One of Volume Three, who is surrounding her and trying to kidnap her?
(b) Soldiers from Valancourt's regiment who hate Valancourt.
(c) Ruffians in league with Bernardine.
(d) Her uncle's cavaliers.
2. Who comes to Emily's rescue and saves her from her kidnappers?
(b) Monsieur Quesnel.
(d) Montoni and his cavaliers.
3. Who does Emily beg not to forsake her as all have done since her father's death?
(a) Madame Montoni.
4. Who volunteers to spend the night in the supposedly haunted chamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
5. Who does Emily hear arguing with Montoni about a former promise regarding her?
(d) Verezzi and Bertolini.
6. To what does the betrayal of Montoni lead?
(a) Montoni's prayers of repentance.
(b) A burning of the castle di Udolpho.
(c) Montoni's plot for vengeance.
(d) Count Morano's release from prison.
7. Where does Emily think she spies Valancourt in Chapter Ten of Volume Four?
(a) At the gardens of La Vallee.
(b) At Tholouse.
(c) At the convent.
(d) At the monastery.
8. Who inherits Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Ten of Volume Three?
(d) Count De Villefort.
9. What does Dorothee tell Blanche happened to the previous lady of the chateau?
(a) The lady died in childbirth.
(b) The lady became a nun.
(c) The lady ran away with a lover and died of a fever.
(d) The lady died in her bedchamber.
10. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, who knocks on the door, shocking Emily into a faint?
(c) Count Morano.
11. Why does Montoni refuse Emily's request to leave Udolpho?
(a) He wants to marry her now.
(b) He wants her to marry Orsini.
(c) He wants her to get over her grief before she travels.
(d) She refuses to relinquish her aunt's estates.
12. What does Montoni threaten if Emily does not give him the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
(a) That he will force her to wed Count Morano.
(b) That he will murder her.
(c) That he will force her to marry him.
(d) That she will not have her Languedoc or Gascony estates.
13. Who seems to have vanished from the Marchioness de Villeroi's haunted chamber in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(b) Du Pont.
14. In Chapter Six of Volume Three, who repeats Montoni's threats to Emily about her estates?
(d) A groaning disembodied voice.
15. In Chapter Ten of Volume Four, who shoots the man who might have been Valancourt, taking him for a robber?
(a) Du Pont.
(b) Jean, the gardener.
(c) Count De Villefort.
(d) Monsieur Quesnel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Count De Villefort's party escape from the banditti?
2. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
3. Who sleeps in the Marchioness de Villeroi's supposedly haunted apartments but refuses to discuss the experience?
4. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
5. Where does Bernardine tell Emily to meet him at midnight?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)