|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Blanche?
(a) Montoni's sister.
(b) Count De Villefort's daughter.
(c) A nun.
(d) Emily's cousin.
2. What does Dorothee tell Emily about the mysterious music heard at the Chateau le Blanc?
(a) It is Emily's imagination.
(b) Dorothee plays it.
(c) It is only heard when someone is going to die soon.
(d) It has played since the death of the chateau's previous lady.
3. In Chapter Six of Volume Three, who repeats Montoni's threats to Emily about her estates?
(c) A groaning disembodied voice.
4. Who is Signora Livona?
(a) A nun at the convent.
(b) Montoni's sister.
(c) A female pirate.
(d) Montoni's mistress.
5. After the storm, what does Count De Villefort and his family hear while returning to their chateau in their carriage?
(a) A lute playing in the woods.
(b) A woman's scream.
(c) A distress signal from a ship stuck in the storm.
(d) A wolf's howl.
6. Which of the following is NOT part of the story that Dorothee tells Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi?
(a) The Marquis grew jealous and the Marchioness died.
(b) She came to the Chateau le Blanc twenty years ago.
(c) She loved her husband very much.
(d) She was forced to marry the Marquis but loved another.
7. When Emily recovers from her faint in Chapter One of Volume Three, who is surrounding her and trying to kidnap her?
(a) Her uncle's cavaliers.
(b) Ruffians in league with Bernardine.
(c) Soldiers from Valancourt's regiment who hate Valancourt.
8. Who faints and is taken captive by banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(c) St. Foixe.
(d) Countess De Villefort.
9. In Chapter Eight of Volume Three, who promises to help Emily escape from Udolpho?
10. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) Her image.
(b) A poem entitled "Shipwreck".
(c) Her name.
(d) Her family's surname.
11. Who visits the Chateau Le Blanc and becomes enamored with Blanche?
(c) Chevalier St. Foix.
(d) Chevalier Du Pont.
12. Who does Bernardine tell Emily to bring with her when she meets him?
(b) No one, she is to come alone.
13. What does Montoni threaten if Emily does not give him the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
(a) That she will not have her Languedoc or Gascony estates.
(b) That he will force her to wed Count Morano.
(c) That he will murder her.
(d) That he will force her to marry him.
14. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
(a) She fears he has married another woman.
(b) She fears he is in jail.
(c) She fears he is dead.
(d) She fears he is bankrupt.
15. Who is beaten by the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(c) Count De Villefort.
(d) St. Foixe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees and chases Emily when she overhears Montoni's argument about a former promise regarding her?
2. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
3. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, who knocks on the door, shocking Emily into a faint?
4. Who sleeps in the Marchioness de Villeroi's supposedly haunted apartments but refuses to discuss the experience?
5. Why is Emily summoned back to the castle di Udolpho in Chapter Eight of Volume Three?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)