|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who serves as the emissary between Emily and Bernardine in Chapter One of Volume Three?
(d) Madame Montoni.
2. What news does Monsieur Quesnel give Emily in a letter?
(a) That he wants her to live with him and his wife.
(b) That Montoni is dead.
(c) That he is ill.
(d) That he has found her a husband.
3. Why does Emily sign her aunt's estates over to Montoni?
(a) She thinks Montoni will imprison her if she doesn't.
(b) She is in love with Montoni.
(c) She thinks Montoni will kill her if she doesn't.
(d) Montoni promises to release her from Udolpho if she does.
4. Who do Emily and Annette learn is behind the kidnapping scheme in Chapter One of Volume Three, and the attempt to poison Montoni?
(a) Count Morano.
5. In Chapter Six of Volume Three, who repeats Montoni's threats to Emily about her estates?
(c) A groaning disembodied voice.
6. When the servants whisper that the Chateau Le Blanc is haunted, how does Count de Villefort respond?
(a) He orders everyone to pray for the chateau.
(b) He summons a priest to bless the place.
(c) He scoffs at the idea of ghosts.
(d) He forbids anyone to say such a thing again.
7. Why does Ludovico visit the castle prisoner to try to learn his identity?
(a) Emily hears his music and thinks the prisoner is Valancourt.
(b) Montoni orders him to visit the prisoner.
(c) The prisoner begs for assistance through the castle walls.
(d) He thinks the prisoner may be his long lost brother.
8. What does Dorothee tell Emily about the mysterious music heard at the Chateau le Blanc?
(a) Dorothee plays it.
(b) It is only heard when someone is going to die soon.
(c) It is Emily's imagination.
(d) It has played since the death of the chateau's previous lady.
9. Who comes to Emily's rescue and saves her from her kidnappers?
(b) Monsieur Quesnel.
(c) Montoni and his cavaliers.
10. Who volunteers to spend the night in the supposedly haunted chamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
11. Who escorts Emily to safety when Udolpho is threatened by an enemy in Chapter Six of Volume Three?
(a) Count Morano.
(d) Ugo and Bertrand, two of Montoni's soldiers.
12. What does Emily see on the castle rampart that seems supernatural?
(a) A disappearing face.
(b) A white mist.
(c) A strange figure beckoning to her.
(d) An unexplained light.
13. Which of the following does NOT describe what happens during Ludovico's meeting with the castle prisoner?
(a) The prisoner returns the stolen miniature of Emily.
(b) The prisoner refuses to reveal his name.
(c) The prisoner wants to meet with Emily.
(d) The prisoner turns out to be Valancourt.
14. Who is beaten by the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(b) Count De Villefort.
(c) St. Foixe.
15. Why does Montoni refuse Emily's request to leave Udolpho?
(a) He wants to marry her now.
(b) He wants her to marry Orsini.
(c) He wants her to get over her grief before she travels.
(d) She refuses to relinquish her aunt's estates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothee tell Blanche happened to the previous lady of the chateau?
2. Who faints and is taken captive by banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
3. Who rescues Emily, Du Pont, Annette and Ludovico in Chapter Eleven of Section Three?
4. What happens to Count De Villefort, Blanche and the St. Foixes when they decide to head toward La Vallee in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
5. Why is Sister Agnes rude to Emily?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)