|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who composes the poem "To Autumn" in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(b) Madame Montoni.
(c) Count De Villefort.
(d) Monsieur Quesnel.
2. Who sleeps in the chamber with Annette and Emily to protect them from Montoni's henchmen?
3. Who does Emily think made the carving she finds near the chateau?
(c) Count Morano.
(d) Du Pont.
4. When Dorothee and Emily visit the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi, what does Dorothee unexpectedly throw over Emily?
(a) A glass of holy water.
(b) The Marchioness' veil.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A set of rosary beads.
5. Where does Emily think she spies Valancourt in Chapter Ten of Volume Four?
(a) At the convent.
(b) At Tholouse.
(c) At the monastery.
(d) At the gardens of La Vallee.
6. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
(a) That his behavior won't cause her unhappiness for long.
(b) That she will never have any man but him.
(c) That she will find true love with Du Pont.
(d) That she will forgive him and still agree to marry him.
7. Who helps Count De Villefort's party escape from the banditti?
8. Who sleeps in the Marchioness de Villeroi's supposedly haunted apartments but refuses to discuss the experience?
(a) The Count De Villefort.
(b) Du Pont.
9. Who does Emily beg not to forsake her as all have done since her father's death?
(b) Madame Montoni.
10. How does Emily feel about Du Pont?
(a) She esteems him but loves Valancourt.
(b) She feels he wants her estates more than he wants her.
(c) She fears he is in league with Montoni.
(d) She prefers him to Valancourt.
11. Who is Maddelina?
(a) A peasant's daughter in Tuscany who befriends Emily.
(b) Montoni's daughter from his first marriage.
(c) A maid.
(d) One of the nuns.
12. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
(a) To the monastery at St. Clair.
(b) To a peasant's cottage in Tuscany where she will be safe.
(c) To the nuns at the convent.
(d) Back to her father's estate at La Vallee.
13. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) Her image.
(b) Her name.
(c) A poem entitled "Shipwreck".
(d) Her family's surname.
14. Who is beaten by the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(a) Count De Villefort.
(b) St. Foixe.
15. Where does Emily reunite with Valancourt in Chapter Thirteen of Volume Three?
(a) At a dance.
(b) At the convent.
(c) In church.
(d) At Chateau Le Blanc.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits the Chateau Le Blanc and becomes enamored with Blanche?
2. Who escorts Emily to safety when Udolpho is threatened by an enemy in Chapter Six of Volume Three?
3. Why does Emily sign her aunt's estates over to Montoni?
4. What seeming supernatural events happen in the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
5. Who escorts Emily and Maddelina when they take walks together?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)