|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Emily think she spies Valancourt in Chapter Ten of Volume Four?
(a) At the monastery.
(b) At the gardens of La Vallee.
(c) At Tholouse.
(d) At the convent.
2. Who sleeps in the chamber with Annette and Emily to protect them from Montoni's henchmen?
3. Who does Emily think made the carving she finds near the chateau?
(c) Count Morano.
(d) Du Pont.
4. With what does Monsieur Quesnel want to assist Emily?
(a) Claiming her aunt's estates.
(b) Finding a husband.
(c) Prosecuting Montoni for mistreating her aunt.
(d) Entering the convent and becoming a nun.
5. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
(a) To the monastery at St. Clair.
(b) To the nuns at the convent.
(c) To a peasant's cottage in Tuscany where she will be safe.
(d) Back to her father's estate at La Vallee.
6. Where does Bernardine tell Emily to meet him at midnight?
(a) The drawing room.
(b) The terrace.
(c) The garden.
(d) The dungeon.
7. Who composes the poem "To Autumn" in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) Madame Montoni.
(b) Count De Villefort.
(d) Monsieur Quesnel.
8. Who comes to Emily's rescue and saves her from her kidnappers?
(b) Monsieur Quesnel.
(c) Montoni and his cavaliers.
9. When Blanche gets separated from the rest of the Count De Villefort's party, what does she overhear?
(a) A plot to kidnap her father.
(b) A plot to rob and murder her and her party.
(c) A ghostly wail.
(d) Weeping in a secret chamber.
10. In Chapter Six of Volume Three, who repeats Montoni's threats to Emily about her estates?
(a) A groaning disembodied voice.
11. Who advises Emily on recovering her aunt's estates from Montoni?
(c) Count De Villefort.
(d) Du Pont.
12. Which of the following is NOT part of the story that Dorothee tells Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi?
(a) She loved her husband very much.
(b) She came to the Chateau le Blanc twenty years ago.
(c) The Marquis grew jealous and the Marchioness died.
(d) She was forced to marry the Marquis but loved another.
13. Who volunteers to spend the night in the supposedly haunted chamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
14. When the servants whisper that the Chateau Le Blanc is haunted, how does Count de Villefort respond?
(a) He summons a priest to bless the place.
(b) He forbids anyone to say such a thing again.
(c) He orders everyone to pray for the chateau.
(d) He scoffs at the idea of ghosts.
15. What does Emily see in Chapter One of Volume Three that makes her faint?
(a) A pirate wielding a large sword.
(b) Her aunt chained to a wall.
(c) A bloody corpse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reveals that he is the figure on the ramparts and the disembodied voice from a chamber between the walls at Udolpho?
2. When Montoni grants Emily permission to visit her aunt, in what state does Emily find Madame Montoni?
3. What does Montoni threaten if Emily does not give him the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe what happens during Ludovico's meeting with the castle prisoner?
5. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)