|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rescues Emily, Du Pont, Annette and Ludovico in Chapter Eleven of Section Three?
(b) Count De Villefort and his family.
(c) Monks from the monastery.
(d) Nuns from the convent.
2. Who composes the poem "To Autumn" in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(b) Madame Montoni.
(c) Monsieur Quesnel.
(d) Count De Villefort.
3. When Emily rushes forward to greet the prisoner, in whose arms does she find herself?
(c) Chevalier Du Pont, a longtime admirer of hers.
(d) Count Morano's.
4. Who faints and is taken captive by banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(a) Countess De Villefort.
(c) St. Foixe.
5. Who reveals that he is the figure on the ramparts and the disembodied voice from a chamber between the walls at Udolpho?
(c) Chevalier Du Pont.
6. To where does Emily ask Montoni to let her go once her aunt is buried?
(a) To France.
(b) To Valancourt.
(c) To the convent.
(d) To the monastery of St. Clair.
7. Who do Emily and Annette learn is behind the kidnapping scheme in Chapter One of Volume Three, and the attempt to poison Montoni?
(a) Count Morano.
8. What does Count De Villefort reveal about Valancourt?
(a) That Valancourt plunders and lives a life of debauchery.
(b) That Valancourt has royal blood.
(c) That Valancourt has a fatal illness.
(d) That Valancourt is married to another woman.
9. Which suitor of Emily's returns to Chateau le Blanc and is encouraged by Count De Villefort to hope he will win Emily?
(b) Count Morano.
(d) Du Pont.
10. Who betrays Montoni in Chapter Three of Volume Four?
(a) His condottieri.
(d) Count Morano.
11. What is Emily's mental state after her near kidnapping in Chapter One of Volume Three?
(a) She screams and cries and is inconsolable.
(b) She is terrified and finds it difficult to speak.
(c) She faints and will not rouse.
(d) She is fine.
12. Who escorts Emily and Maddelina when they take walks together?
13. When Emily recovers from her faint in Chapter One of Volume Three, who is surrounding her and trying to kidnap her?
(a) Ruffians in league with Bernardine.
(c) Soldiers from Valancourt's regiment who hate Valancourt.
(d) Her uncle's cavaliers.
14. After the storm, what does Count De Villefort and his family hear while returning to their chateau in their carriage?
(a) A distress signal from a ship stuck in the storm.
(b) A woman's scream.
(c) A wolf's howl.
(d) A lute playing in the woods.
15. Which of the following does NOT describe what happens during Ludovico's meeting with the castle prisoner?
(a) The prisoner refuses to reveal his name.
(b) The prisoner turns out to be Valancourt.
(c) The prisoner returns the stolen miniature of Emily.
(d) The prisoner wants to meet with Emily.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT part of the story that Dorothee tells Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi?
2. What does Dorothee tell Emily about the mysterious music heard at the Chateau le Blanc?
3. Who volunteers to spend the night in the supposedly haunted chamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
4. Who sleeps in the Marchioness de Villeroi's supposedly haunted apartments but refuses to discuss the experience?
5. What kind of song does Emily hear from a lower room in Chapter Five of Volume Three?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)