|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is beaten by the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(b) Count De Villefort.
(d) St. Foixe.
2. Why is Sister Agnes rude to Emily?
(a) Sister Agnes thinks Emily was rude to Valancourt.
(b) Sister Agnes mistakes Emily for someone else.
(c) Sister Agnes is insane.
(d) Emily is not Catholic.
3. Why does Montoni refuse Emily's request to leave Udolpho?
(a) He wants her to marry Orsini.
(b) She refuses to relinquish her aunt's estates.
(c) He wants her to get over her grief before she travels.
(d) He wants to marry her now.
4. What does Emily see in Chapter One of Volume Three that makes her faint?
(b) A pirate wielding a large sword.
(c) A bloody corpse.
(d) Her aunt chained to a wall.
5. Who advises Emily on recovering her aunt's estates from Montoni?
(b) Count De Villefort.
(c) Du Pont.
6. When Emily recovers from her faint in Chapter One of Volume Three, who is surrounding her and trying to kidnap her?
(a) Ruffians in league with Bernardine.
(b) Her uncle's cavaliers.
(d) Soldiers from Valancourt's regiment who hate Valancourt.
7. What does Dorothee tell Blanche happened to the previous lady of the chateau?
(a) The lady became a nun.
(b) The lady died in her bedchamber.
(c) The lady died in childbirth.
(d) The lady ran away with a lover and died of a fever.
8. What signals Emily that the prisoner is leaving his prison and has come to meet her?
(a) A whistle.
(b) The playing of a lute.
(c) A red handkerchief.
(d) A candle in a window.
9. When Montoni grants Emily permission to visit her aunt, in what state does Emily find Madame Montoni?
(a) Very sick and emaciated and clearly near death.
(b) Wounded and losing a lot of blood.
(c) Hysterical and unable to stop screaming.
(d) Bound and gagged.
10. When Emily rushes forward to greet the prisoner, in whose arms does she find herself?
(b) Count Morano's.
(c) Chevalier Du Pont, a longtime admirer of hers.
11. Who inherits Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Ten of Volume Three?
(d) Count De Villefort.
12. Who is Signora Livona?
(a) Montoni's mistress.
(b) A female pirate.
(c) Montoni's sister.
(d) A nun at the convent.
13. Who rescues Emily, Du Pont, Annette and Ludovico in Chapter Eleven of Section Three?
(a) Count De Villefort and his family.
(c) Monks from the monastery.
(d) Nuns from the convent.
14. Who escorts Emily to safety when Udolpho is threatened by an enemy in Chapter Six of Volume Three?
(a) Count Morano.
(c) Ugo and Bertrand, two of Montoni's soldiers.
15. Where does Emily think she spies Valancourt in Chapter Ten of Volume Four?
(a) At the convent.
(b) At Tholouse.
(c) At the gardens of La Vallee.
(d) At the monastery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thinks Emily resembles the dead Marchioness de Villeroi, the former lady of the Chateau le Blanc?
2. Where does Bernardine tell Emily to meet him at midnight?
3. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
4. What does Count De Villefort reveal about Valancourt?
5. Where is Theresa living when Emily visits her in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)