|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seems to have vanished from the Marchioness de Villeroi's haunted chamber in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(b) Du Pont.
2. Who volunteers to spend the night in the supposedly haunted chamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
3. Who is Maddelina?
(a) One of the nuns.
(b) Montoni's daughter from his first marriage.
(c) A peasant's daughter in Tuscany who befriends Emily.
(d) A maid.
4. Who is beaten by the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(c) Count De Villefort.
(d) St. Foixe.
5. Who do Emily and Annette learn is behind the kidnapping scheme in Chapter One of Volume Three, and the attempt to poison Montoni?
(b) Count Morano.
6. What kind of song does Emily hear from a lower room in Chapter Five of Volume Three?
(a) A bawdy song.
(b) An English song.
(c) A French song.
(d) A Spanish song.
7. Why is Sister Agnes rude to Emily?
(a) Emily is not Catholic.
(b) Sister Agnes thinks Emily was rude to Valancourt.
(c) Sister Agnes mistakes Emily for someone else.
(d) Sister Agnes is insane.
8. What is the odd flame on Antonio's lance viewed as?
(a) An omen of bad luck.
(b) A sign of impending victory in battle.
(c) An indication that the castle is haunted.
(d) An omen of an impending death.
9. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
(a) That she will forgive him and still agree to marry him.
(b) That she will find true love with Du Pont.
(c) That she will never have any man but him.
(d) That his behavior won't cause her unhappiness for long.
10. What does Emily see on the castle rampart that seems supernatural?
(a) An unexplained light.
(b) A white mist.
(c) A strange figure beckoning to her.
(d) A disappearing face.
11. Who is Signora Livona?
(a) Montoni's sister.
(b) Montoni's mistress.
(c) A female pirate.
(d) A nun at the convent.
12. What does Count De Villefort reveal about Valancourt?
(a) That Valancourt is married to another woman.
(b) That Valancourt has royal blood.
(c) That Valancourt has a fatal illness.
(d) That Valancourt plunders and lives a life of debauchery.
13. Who does Emily believe is being held prisoner in the castle after she hears the song from the lower room?
(b) Monsieur Quesnel.
14. Why does Ludovico visit the castle prisoner to try to learn his identity?
(a) Montoni orders him to visit the prisoner.
(b) Emily hears his music and thinks the prisoner is Valancourt.
(c) He thinks the prisoner may be his long lost brother.
(d) The prisoner begs for assistance through the castle walls.
15. Who escorts Emily to safety when Udolpho is threatened by an enemy in Chapter Six of Volume Three?
(a) Ugo and Bertrand, two of Montoni's soldiers.
(b) Count Morano.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Emily feel about Du Pont?
2. Who sees and chases Emily when she overhears Montoni's argument about a former promise regarding her?
3. Why does Montoni refuse Emily's request to leave Udolpho?
4. What message does Emily ask Theresa to send to Valancourt's steward in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
5. Who is Blanche?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)