|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seems to have vanished from the Marchioness de Villeroi's haunted chamber in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(b) Du Pont.
2. Who is beaten by the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(a) Count De Villefort.
(b) St. Foixe.
3. Who is Maddelina?
(a) A peasant's daughter in Tuscany who befriends Emily.
(b) One of the nuns.
(c) Montoni's daughter from his first marriage.
(d) A maid.
4. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
(a) That she will never have any man but him.
(b) That she will forgive him and still agree to marry him.
(c) That his behavior won't cause her unhappiness for long.
(d) That she will find true love with Du Pont.
5. Who prepares Madame Montoni's corpse for burial?
(c) Emily and Annette.
(d) The nuns from the convent.
6. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
(a) She fears he is bankrupt.
(b) She fears he has married another woman.
(c) She fears he is dead.
(d) She fears he is in jail.
7. Which of the following is NOT part of the story that Dorothee tells Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi?
(a) She was forced to marry the Marquis but loved another.
(b) The Marquis grew jealous and the Marchioness died.
(c) She came to the Chateau le Blanc twenty years ago.
(d) She loved her husband very much.
8. What message does Emily ask Theresa to send to Valancourt's steward in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) That she forgives him.
(b) An inquiry about his condition.
(c) That she needs to see him.
(d) That she still loves him.
9. Who visits the Chateau Le Blanc and becomes enamored with Blanche?
(a) Chevalier St. Foix.
(c) Chevalier Du Pont.
10. What kind of song does Emily hear from a lower room in Chapter Five of Volume Three?
(a) A Spanish song.
(b) A bawdy song.
(c) An English song.
(d) A French song.
11. To what does the betrayal of Montoni lead?
(a) Montoni's prayers of repentance.
(b) Montoni's plot for vengeance.
(c) A burning of the castle di Udolpho.
(d) Count Morano's release from prison.
12. Where does Emily think she spies Valancourt in Chapter Ten of Volume Four?
(a) At Tholouse.
(b) At the gardens of La Vallee.
(c) At the monastery.
(d) At the convent.
13. What does Blanche think of Chateau le Blanc?
(a) She thinks it's too big.
(b) She prefers living in the convent.
(c) She thinks it is creepy and haunted.
(d) She is pleased with its beauty.
14. Who inherits Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Ten of Volume Three?
(d) Count De Villefort.
15. Who does Emily believe is being held prisoner in the castle after she hears the song from the lower room?
(c) Monsieur Quesnel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the odd flame on Antonio's lance viewed as?
2. What does Emily see on the castle rampart that seems supernatural?
3. Who does Emily think made the carving she finds near the chateau?
4. Who sleeps in the chamber with Annette and Emily to protect them from Montoni's henchmen?
5. Where does Emily go to avoid an unwanted suitor in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)