|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dorothee and Emily visit the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi, what does Dorothee unexpectedly throw over Emily?
(a) A set of rosary beads.
(b) The Marchioness' veil.
(c) A glass of holy water.
(d) A blanket.
2. Why does Montoni refuse Emily's request to leave Udolpho?
(a) She refuses to relinquish her aunt's estates.
(b) He wants to marry her now.
(c) He wants her to get over her grief before she travels.
(d) He wants her to marry Orsini.
3. Where does Emily go to avoid an unwanted suitor in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) The monastery.
(b) The convent.
(c) La Vallee.
4. Who gives Theresa money and a ring to give to Emily to remember him by?
(b) Du Pont.
(d) Count Morano.
5. To what does the betrayal of Montoni lead?
(a) A burning of the castle di Udolpho.
(b) Count Morano's release from prison.
(c) Montoni's plot for vengeance.
(d) Montoni's prayers of repentance.
6. Who serves as the emissary between Emily and Bernardine in Chapter One of Volume Three?
(a) Madame Montoni.
7. After the storm, what does Count De Villefort and his family hear while returning to their chateau in their carriage?
(a) A woman's scream.
(b) A lute playing in the woods.
(c) A distress signal from a ship stuck in the storm.
(d) A wolf's howl.
8. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
(a) Take shelter in a cave.
(b) Get lost in the woods.
(c) Crash their boat.
(d) Take shelter in the monastery.
9. What does Dorothee tell Emily about the mysterious music heard at the Chateau le Blanc?
(a) Dorothee plays it.
(b) It has played since the death of the chateau's previous lady.
(c) It is Emily's imagination.
(d) It is only heard when someone is going to die soon.
10. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
(a) To the monastery at St. Clair.
(b) To the nuns at the convent.
(c) To a peasant's cottage in Tuscany where she will be safe.
(d) Back to her father's estate at La Vallee.
11. In Chapter Ten of Volume Four, who shoots the man who might have been Valancourt, taking him for a robber?
(a) Du Pont.
(b) Jean, the gardener.
(c) Count De Villefort.
(d) Monsieur Quesnel.
12. Who thinks Emily resembles the dead Marchioness de Villeroi, the former lady of the Chateau le Blanc?
(a) The Countess De Villefort.
(d) The Count De Villefort.
13. When the servants whisper that the Chateau Le Blanc is haunted, how does Count de Villefort respond?
(a) He summons a priest to bless the place.
(b) He forbids anyone to say such a thing again.
(c) He scoffs at the idea of ghosts.
(d) He orders everyone to pray for the chateau.
14. Who is beaten by the banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(b) St. Foixe.
(c) Count De Villefort.
15. Who sleeps in the Marchioness de Villeroi's supposedly haunted apartments but refuses to discuss the experience?
(a) Du Pont.
(c) The Count De Villefort.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Valancourt admits about himself in Chapter One of Volume Four?
2. Who volunteers to spend the night in the supposedly haunted chamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
3. Why doesn't Theresa's messenger get any information about Valancourt in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
4. Which suitor of Emily's returns to Chateau le Blanc and is encouraged by Count De Villefort to hope he will win Emily?
5. Who is Signora Livona?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)