|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) Her image.
(b) A poem entitled "Shipwreck".
(c) Her family's surname.
(d) Her name.
2. What is the odd flame on Antonio's lance viewed as?
(a) An omen of an impending death.
(b) An indication that the castle is haunted.
(c) An omen of bad luck.
(d) A sign of impending victory in battle.
3. What does Emily see on the castle rampart that seems supernatural?
(a) An unexplained light.
(b) A white mist.
(c) A strange figure beckoning to her.
(d) A disappearing face.
4. When Emily says she doesn't want to see Valancourt again, what does Valancourt blame for her change of affection?
(a) His lack of fortune.
(b) Montoni's influence on Emily.
(c) His own bad behavior.
(d) Count De Villefort's promotion of Du Pont as a suitor.
5. Why doesn't Theresa's messenger get any information about Valancourt in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) No one has heard from Valancourt.
(b) Valancourt has a bad fever and is unconscious.
(c) Valancourt has married another woman.
(d) Valancourt is in jail.
6. What does Montoni threaten if Emily does not give him the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
(a) That he will murder her.
(b) That he will force her to wed Count Morano.
(c) That he will force her to marry him.
(d) That she will not have her Languedoc or Gascony estates.
7. Who does Bernardine tell Emily to bring with her when she meets him?
(c) No one, she is to come alone.
8. How does Emily feel about Du Pont?
(a) She feels he wants her estates more than he wants her.
(b) She esteems him but loves Valancourt.
(c) She prefers him to Valancourt.
(d) She fears he is in league with Montoni.
9. When Dorothee and Emily visit the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi, what does Dorothee unexpectedly throw over Emily?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A set of rosary beads.
(c) The Marchioness' veil.
(d) A glass of holy water.
10. Who faints and is taken captive by banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(b) Countess De Villefort.
(d) St. Foixe.
11. Who thinks Emily resembles the dead Marchioness de Villeroi, the former lady of the Chateau le Blanc?
(b) The Countess De Villefort.
(c) The Count De Villefort.
12. Which of the following is NOT part of the story that Dorothee tells Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi?
(a) She loved her husband very much.
(b) She was forced to marry the Marquis but loved another.
(c) She came to the Chateau le Blanc twenty years ago.
(d) The Marquis grew jealous and the Marchioness died.
13. Who seems to have vanished from the Marchioness de Villeroi's haunted chamber in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(c) Du Pont.
14. Who betrays Montoni in Chapter Three of Volume Four?
(a) His condottieri.
(b) Count Morano.
15. Why does Emily sign her aunt's estates over to Montoni?
(a) She is in love with Montoni.
(b) Montoni promises to release her from Udolpho if she does.
(c) She thinks Montoni will kill her if she doesn't.
(d) She thinks Montoni will imprison her if she doesn't.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Blanche?
2. After the storm, what does Count De Villefort and his family hear while returning to their chateau in their carriage?
3. In Chapter Eight of Volume Three, who promises to help Emily escape from Udolpho?
4. When Emily recovers from her faint in Chapter One of Volume Three, who is surrounding her and trying to kidnap her?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Valancourt admits about himself in Chapter One of Volume Four?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)