|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who escorts Emily to safety when Udolpho is threatened by an enemy in Chapter Six of Volume Three?
(a) Ugo and Bertrand, two of Montoni's soldiers.
(b) Count Morano.
2. What does Blanche think of Chateau le Blanc?
(a) She prefers living in the convent.
(b) She is pleased with its beauty.
(c) She thinks it's too big.
(d) She thinks it is creepy and haunted.
3. When Valancourt meets Emily in Chapter Two of Volume Four, what does he hope?
(a) That she will forgive him and still agree to marry him.
(b) That she will find true love with Du Pont.
(c) That his behavior won't cause her unhappiness for long.
(d) That she will never have any man but him.
4. What does Emily find carved on a stone tower near Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Seven of Volume Four?
(a) A poem entitled "Shipwreck".
(b) Her image.
(c) Her family's surname.
(d) Her name.
5. What does Dorothee tell Blanche happened to the previous lady of the chateau?
(a) The lady became a nun.
(b) The lady died in childbirth.
(c) The lady ran away with a lover and died of a fever.
(d) The lady died in her bedchamber.
6. What message does Emily ask Theresa to send to Valancourt's steward in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) That she still loves him.
(b) An inquiry about his condition.
(c) That she needs to see him.
(d) That she forgives him.
7. What does Emily see on the castle rampart that seems supernatural?
(a) A strange figure beckoning to her.
(b) An unexplained light.
(c) A white mist.
(d) A disappearing face.
8. How does Emily feel about Du Pont?
(a) She fears he is in league with Montoni.
(b) She esteems him but loves Valancourt.
(c) She feels he wants her estates more than he wants her.
(d) She prefers him to Valancourt.
9. Who faints and is taken captive by banditti in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(b) St. Foixe.
(c) Countess De Villefort.
10. Why is Emily summoned back to the castle di Udolpho in Chapter Eight of Volume Three?
(a) Montoni is dying.
(b) Montoni wants to marry her.
(c) Annette is injured and needs her.
(d) The siege of the castle has ended.
11. Who does Emily beg not to forsake her as all have done since her father's death?
(d) Madame Montoni.
12. Which of the following is NOT something Valancourt admits about himself in Chapter One of Volume Four?
(a) That he yields to the temptations of Paris.
(b) That he is an alcoholic.
(c) That he is ruined by debt.
(d) That he will always love Emily.
13. In Chapter Eight of Volume Three, who promises to help Emily escape from Udolpho?
14. After the storm, what does Count De Villefort and his family hear while returning to their chateau in their carriage?
(a) A distress signal from a ship stuck in the storm.
(b) A wolf's howl.
(c) A lute playing in the woods.
(d) A woman's scream.
15. Why is Sister Agnes rude to Emily?
(a) Sister Agnes mistakes Emily for someone else.
(b) Sister Agnes is insane.
(c) Emily is not Catholic.
(d) Sister Agnes thinks Emily was rude to Valancourt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothee tell Emily about the mysterious music heard at the Chateau le Blanc?
2. Who is imprisoned in Chapter Eight of Volume Three because of accusations sent by Montoni?
3. When Emily recovers from her faint in Chapter One of Volume Three, who is surrounding her and trying to kidnap her?
4. Why does Ludovico visit the castle prisoner to try to learn his identity?
5. Who reveals that he is the figure on the ramparts and the disembodied voice from a chamber between the walls at Udolpho?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)