|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Blanche?
(a) A nun.
(b) Count De Villefort's daughter.
(c) Montoni's sister.
(d) Emily's cousin.
2. Why is Emily summoned back to the castle di Udolpho in Chapter Eight of Volume Three?
(a) Annette is injured and needs her.
(b) Montoni is dying.
(c) Montoni wants to marry her.
(d) The siege of the castle has ended.
3. In Chapter Six of Volume Three, who repeats Montoni's threats to Emily about her estates?
(a) A groaning disembodied voice.
4. Which suitor of Emily's returns to Chateau le Blanc and is encouraged by Count De Villefort to hope he will win Emily?
(c) Du Pont.
(d) Count Morano.
5. Where does Bernardine tell Emily to meet him at midnight?
(a) The dungeon.
(b) The garden.
(c) The drawing room.
(d) The terrace.
6. Who do Emily and Annette learn is behind the kidnapping scheme in Chapter One of Volume Three, and the attempt to poison Montoni?
(d) Count Morano.
7. What happens to Count De Villefort, Blanche and the St. Foixes when they decide to head toward La Vallee in Chapter Twelve of Volume Four?
(a) They get robbed by gypsies.
(b) They become ill with a fever.
(c) They are attacked by soldiers.
(d) They get lost en route and take shelter in a strange chateau.
8. In Chapter Thirteen of Volume Four, what does Emily fear has befallen Valancourt?
(a) She fears he is bankrupt.
(b) She fears he is dead.
(c) She fears he has married another woman.
(d) She fears he is in jail.
9. What does a storm that arises while Count De Villefort and his family are on a boat ride cause the family to do?
(a) Take shelter in a cave.
(b) Get lost in the woods.
(c) Crash their boat.
(d) Take shelter in the monastery.
10. Who prepares Madame Montoni's corpse for burial?
(a) Emily and Annette.
(d) The nuns from the convent.
11. Who advises Emily on recovering her aunt's estates from Montoni?
(a) Count De Villefort.
(b) Du Pont.
12. Where is Theresa living when Emily visits her in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) In a cottage of her own.
(b) At Tholouse.
(c) At Chateau St. Foixe.
(d) At the convent.
13. When Blanche gets separated from the rest of the Count De Villefort's party, what does she overhear?
(a) A plot to rob and murder her and her party.
(b) A ghostly wail.
(c) Weeping in a secret chamber.
(d) A plot to kidnap her father.
14. What signals Emily that the prisoner is leaving his prison and has come to meet her?
(a) A whistle.
(b) A candle in a window.
(c) A red handkerchief.
(d) The playing of a lute.
15. Who volunteers to spend the night in the supposedly haunted chamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees and chases Emily when she overhears Montoni's argument about a former promise regarding her?
2. What does Dorothee tell Emily about the mysterious music heard at the Chateau le Blanc?
3. In Chapter Eight of Volume Three, who promises to help Emily escape from Udolpho?
4. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
5. What seeming supernatural events happen in the bedchamber of the Marchioness de Villeroi?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)