|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Emily recovers from her faint in Chapter One of Volume Three, who is surrounding her and trying to kidnap her?
(a) Soldiers from Valancourt's regiment who hate Valancourt.
(b) Ruffians in league with Bernardine.
(d) Her uncle's cavaliers.
2. Who helps Count De Villefort's party escape from the banditti?
3. Who inherits Chateau le Blanc in Chapter Ten of Volume Three?
(d) Count De Villefort.
4. Why doesn't Theresa's messenger get any information about Valancourt in Chapter Eleven of Volume Four?
(a) Valancourt is in jail.
(b) Valancourt has a bad fever and is unconscious.
(c) Valancourt has married another woman.
(d) No one has heard from Valancourt.
5. Why does Emily sign her aunt's estates over to Montoni?
(a) She thinks Montoni will kill her if she doesn't.
(b) She thinks Montoni will imprison her if she doesn't.
(c) Montoni promises to release her from Udolpho if she does.
(d) She is in love with Montoni.
6. Who does Emily beg not to forsake her as all have done since her father's death?
(c) Madame Montoni.
7. What is the odd flame on Antonio's lance viewed as?
(a) An indication that the castle is haunted.
(b) An omen of an impending death.
(c) An omen of bad luck.
(d) A sign of impending victory in battle.
8. Which of the following is NOT part of the story that Dorothee tells Emily about the Marchioness de Villeroi?
(a) She loved her husband very much.
(b) She came to the Chateau le Blanc twenty years ago.
(c) She was forced to marry the Marquis but loved another.
(d) The Marquis grew jealous and the Marchioness died.
9. What does Montoni threaten if Emily does not give him the estates she has inherited from her aunt?
(a) That he will murder her.
(b) That she will not have her Languedoc or Gascony estates.
(c) That he will force her to wed Count Morano.
(d) That he will force her to marry him.
10. How does Emily feel about Du Pont?
(a) She prefers him to Valancourt.
(b) She fears he is in league with Montoni.
(c) She feels he wants her estates more than he wants her.
(d) She esteems him but loves Valancourt.
11. In Chapter Eight of Volume Three, who promises to help Emily escape from Udolpho?
12. What does Emily see on the castle rampart that seems supernatural?
(a) A white mist.
(b) A disappearing face.
(c) A strange figure beckoning to her.
(d) An unexplained light.
13. When an enemy force approaches castle di Udolpho, where does Montoni send Emily?
(a) To a peasant's cottage in Tuscany where she will be safe.
(b) To the monastery at St. Clair.
(c) To the nuns at the convent.
(d) Back to her father's estate at La Vallee.
14. Who rescues Emily, Du Pont, Annette and Ludovico in Chapter Eleven of Section Three?
(a) Nuns from the convent.
(b) Monks from the monastery.
(c) Count De Villefort and his family.
15. Who does Emily think made the carving she finds near the chateau?
(a) Du Pont.
(c) Count Morano.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees and chases Emily when she overhears Montoni's argument about a former promise regarding her?
2. Who serves as the emissary between Emily and Bernardine in Chapter One of Volume Three?
3. Who comes to Emily's rescue and saves her from her kidnappers?
4. Why does Ludovico visit the castle prisoner to try to learn his identity?
5. In Chapter Ten of Volume Four, who shoots the man who might have been Valancourt, taking him for a robber?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)