|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily do to assist the wounded man who tried to kidnap her?
(a) She nurses his wounds.
(b) She locks her uncle in a closet.
(c) She disarms her uncle.
(d) She calls the sheriff for him.
2. What happens to Montoni's wine glass while he is toasting his men and their exploits at dinner?
(a) A bee flies into it.
(b) Emily kisses it.
(c) Montoni drops it.
(d) It breaks for no apparent reason.
3. Which of the following statements does NOT describe what Emily experiences at La Vallee, the St. Albert family home, after her father's death?
(a) All objects in the house remind Emily of her father.
(b) Manchon, Monsieur St. Albert's dog, whines in grief.
(c) A masquerade ball takes place at La Vallee.
(d) Theresa, the housekeeper, tries to console Emily.
4. Who is the prisoner in the chamber next to Emily's at Udolpho?
(a) Madame Montoni.
5. What does Montoni advise Emily to do in response to Monsieur Quesnel's actions at La Vallee?
(a) Write Monsieur Quesnel to protest the matter.
(b) Ignore the matter.
(c) Let him and her aunt, Madame Montoni, handle the matter.
(d) Write Monsieur Quesnel of her acquiescence on the matter.
6. What does Monsieur St. Albert do when he finds out that he and Emily are near the Chateau le Blanc?
(a) He demands to be taken to the chateau.
(b) He weeps.
(c) He rejoices.
(d) He demands to be taken away from the chateau.
7. What has Monsieur Quesnel done at La Vallee in Chapter Three of Volume Two?
(a) He has gambled away the property.
(b) He has leased the chateau and fired the housekeeper.
(c) He has polluted the streams on the estate.
(d) He has set fire to the chateau.
8. How does Montoni respond when Emily questions him about the sudden move to the castle di Udolpho?
(a) He says he has urgent business to attend at the castle.
(b) He says he wants to protect her from Count Morano.
(c) He ignores her and refuses to answer.
(d) He tells her to ask her aunt for the answers she wants.
9. Who disappeared from castle di Udolpho twenty years earlier?
(a) Montoni's first wife.
(b) The Marquis de Villeroi.
(c) Signora Laurentini.
(d) The Marchioness de Villeroi.
10. Who does Montoni blame for the incident with his glass?
(a) His wife.
11. Why does Monsieur St. Albert sell part of his family domain?
(a) He thinks the domain is too big for one man to care for.
(b) He gambles.
(c) He made unwise investments.
(d) His father spent extravagantly.
12. Who is wounded in a fight after trying to kidnap Emily?
(c) Monsieur Quesnel.
(d) Count Morano.
13. Why do Valancourt's fellow soldiers plot his demise?
(a) They feel censured by Valancourt's reserve.
(b) Montoni has hired them to kill Valancourt.
(c) Another soldier is a rival for Emily.
(d) They are pirates.
14. Which of the following is NOT a lament that Madame Montoni makes about her marriage in Chapter Seven of Volume Two?
(a) Her husband has spent her fortune.
(b) Her husband spends too much time with her.
(c) He wants her to sign away her settlement.
(d) He wants to use her settlement to pay his debts.
15. Why is Emily's engagement to Valancourt canceled?
(a) Valancourt is arrested for a crime.
(b) Her new uncle Montoni cancels it.
(c) Valancourt prefers another woman.
(d) Emily prefers another man.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom is Monsieur St. Albert expecting letters in Chapter Six?
2. Who does Montoni believe intends to defraud him of Emily's estate?
3. What is Madame Clairval's relationship to Valancourt?
4. Who comes to Emily's rescue when she is nearly kidnapped in Chapter Six of Volume Two?
5. Where does Emily stay for several days after her father's death?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)