|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Montoni blame for the incident with his glass?
(c) His wife.
2. Which of the following does NOT happen when Emily refuses Count Morano's attempts to take her for a ride alone in Chapter Three of Volume Two?
(a) Montoni lies about Emily's real letter to M. Quesnel.
(b) Montoni claims Emily wrote M. Quesnel accepting Morano.
(c) Count Morano says she has accepted his affections.
(d) Count Morano forces Emily to wed him.
3. To whom does M. St. Albert sell part of his family domain?
(a) To Madame Cheron.
(b) To Valencourt.
(c) To Signor Montoni.
(d) To Monsieur Quesnel, his wife's brother.
4. Who is wounded in a fight after trying to kidnap Emily?
(c) Count Morano.
(d) Monsieur Quesnel.
5. In Chapter One of Volume Two, who stays out all night once Emily and her family arrive in Venice?
(b) Count Morano.
6. What does Montoni advise Emily to do in response to Monsieur Quesnel's actions at La Vallee?
(a) Let him and her aunt, Madame Montoni, handle the matter.
(b) Write Monsieur Quesnel to protest the matter.
(c) Write Monsieur Quesnel of her acquiescence on the matter.
(d) Ignore the matter.
7. Which member of the St. Albert family dies of a fever in Chapter One?
(a) An infant son.
(b) Monsieur St. Albert.
(c) Madame St. Albert.
(d) Grandfather St. Albert.
8. Why does Emily advise her aunt to relinquish her estates to Montoni rather than continuing to resist his will?
(a) Emily wants to see her aunt ruined financially.
(b) Montoni forces Emily to advise her aunt to give in to him.
(c) Emily has fallen in love with Montoni.
(d) Emily fears Montoni's possible violence toward her aunt.
9. What does Emily do after Montoni has three armed men take her aunt away?
(a) She smuggles a letter to Valancourt asking for help.
(b) She offers herself to her uncle for her aunt's freedom.
(c) She laughs because she hates her aunt.
(d) She searches for her aunt after midnight.
10. About whom does Emily compose a poem called "The Piedmontese"?
(d) Monsieur St. Albert.
11. Who disappeared from castle di Udolpho twenty years earlier?
(a) The Marquis de Villeroi.
(b) Signora Laurentini.
(c) The Marchioness de Villeroi.
(d) Montoni's first wife.
12. Who does Monsieur St. Albert accidentally wound in Chapter Four?
(b) Madame Cheron.
(c) Monsieur Quesnel.
13. In Chapter Six of Volume Two, who arrives at castle di Udolpho by carriage at midnight?
(a) Count Morano.
(c) Signor Orsini.
14. What shocking thing does Montoni do when he and his wife and niece and friends take a gondola ride?
(a) He gets drunk and gets into a fight with Cavigni.
(b) He pushes his wife into the canal water.
(c) He boards another gondola and leaves his party.
(d) He tells his wife he has a mistress.
15. Who is Bernardine?
(a) A cavalier.
(b) A pirate.
(c) The castle porter.
(d) A ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Emily's engagement to Valancourt canceled?
2. In Chapter Five of Volume Two, who wakes Emily in the night to tell her to prepare to leave Venice immediately for castle di Udolpho in the Apenines?
3. Why does Monsieur St. Albert faint?
4. Who suspects that Montoni is the captain of a band of robbers after seeing a party of banditti leaving the castle di Udolpho?
5. Why does Montoni feel defrauded by his wife in Chapter Three of Volume II?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)