Short Answer Key
Section 1: Volume 1, chapters 1-5
1. In what year does the opening chapter of The Mysteries of Udolpho take place?
2. On the banks of what river is the chateau of Monsieur St. Albert located?
3. Why does Monsieur St. Albert sell part of his family domain?
His father spent extravagantly.
4. To whom does M. St. Albert sell part of his family domain?
To Monsieur Quesnel, his wife's brother.
5. What does Emily St. Albert find written on a wainscot in Chapter One?
6. At the fishing-house, what does Madame St. Albert notice is missing?
Her locket with a miniature of Emily in it.
7. Which member of the St. Albert family dies of a fever in Chapter One?
Madame St. Albert.
8. What does Emily see her father kissing in Chapter Two?
The miniature portrait of an unknown lady....
This section contains 3,260 words|
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)