Section 1: Volume 1, chapters 1-5
1. In what year does the opening chapter of The Mysteries of Udolpho take place?
2. On the banks of what river is the chateau of Monsieur St. Albert located?
(a) The Tigris-Euphrates.
(b) The Nile.
(c) The Garonne.
(d) The Thames.
3. Why does Monsieur St. Albert sell part of his family domain?
(a) He thinks the domain is too big for one man to care for.
(b) He made unwise investments.
(c) His father spent extravagantly.
(d) He gambles.
4. To whom does M. St. Albert sell part of his family domain?
(a) To Madame Cheron.
(b) To Monsieur Quesnel, his wife's brother.
(c) To Valencourt.
(d) To Signor Montoni.
5. What does Emily St. Albert find written on a wainscot in Chapter One?
(a) Her name.
(b) Her father's name.
(c) A map.
(d) A sonnet.
6. At the fishing-house, what does Madame St. Albert notice is missing?
(a) Her medicine.
(b) Her handkerchief.
(c) Monsieur St. Albert's purse.
(d) Her locket with a miniature of Emily in it.
This section contains 5,445 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)