|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Phlox's roommate serve at her party?
2. What does Cleveland put the jewelry in before leaving the house?
3. For whom is Cleveland working?
4. Who finds Art and Arthur in bed together?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Cleveland's appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Art and Arthur first have sex?
2. What is the nature of the note Phlox sends to Art via Cleveland?
3. How does the author insinuate that Art's mother's death was somehow mob related?
4. Describe the scenario in which Cleveland robs the house?
5. What is Art feeling during the time he has an affair with Arthur in the weather woman's apartment?
6. What seems to be the source of Art's greatest emotional pain?
7. Why does Art have such a hard time choosing between Phlox and Arthur?
8. Explain how Art's lack of real friendship in his life has driven him to behave the way he does with Cleveland, Phlox and Arthur.
9. How does Cleveland blackmail Art?
10. What is the irony revealed when Arthur's mother comes to the apartment with mended clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH is a classic story of the search for love. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The role of parental influence is a strong one on most of the men. Cite three examples noting the role of the family in general. Then cite three examples that showcase how the men feel their parents impacted them negatively.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)