|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a recent problem at the bookstore?
2. What does Cleveland break while running toward some men he knows?
3. Cleveland takes Art to a poor neighborhood along the _______________ River.
4. What drug do Art and Arthur do together?
5. What food does Phlox's roommate serve at her party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a recurring motif in the story?
2. What is Cleveland's demeanor at the beginning of Chapter 22?
3. When do Art and Arthur first have sex?
4. What is Art feeling during the time he has an affair with Arthur in the weather woman's apartment?
5. How does Art still struggle with his sexuality?
6. How does Art end up alienating both Phlox and Arthur?
7. What seems to be the source of Art's greatest emotional pain?
8. What is the symbolism of the cicadas for Art's life?
9. How is Art both disgusted yet attracted to the experience of being with Cleveland when he makes collection calls?
10. How does Cleveland blackmail Art?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Phlox's role in Art's life. What does it signify? What role does she play for Art in the book? Why did the author choose Phlox as a sort of foil in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title--THE MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH. Why did Chabon choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Or is the author just having fun with the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Art, Arthur and Phlox. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)