|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Art's father seem to be sad at dinner?
2. What has Cleveland had too much of to steel his courage?
3. Who finds Art and Arthur in bed together?
4. Which of the following is NOT a part of Art's daily routine?
5. What can Phlox sense about Art when he arrives at her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cleveland's demeanor at the beginning of Chapter 22?
2. How is Art both disgusted yet attracted to the experience of being with Cleveland when he makes collection calls?
3. What is the nature of the note Phlox sends to Art via Cleveland?
4. What is the symbolism of the cicadas for Art's life?
5. When do Art and Arthur first have sex?
6. How does the author insinuate that Art's mother's death was somehow mob related?
7. How does Art still struggle with his sexuality?
8. What seems to be the source of Art's greatest emotional pain?
9. When does Art realize what his true feelings are for Arthur?
10. How does Art end up alienating both Phlox and Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of gay men in the 1980s. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century gay men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Even though Phlox and Arthur both vie for Art's affections, Art is not sure which one to choose. What do Phlox and Arthur represent for Art and why does he think he needs both of them in order to be happy? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title--THE MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH. Why did Chabon choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Or is the author just having fun with the reader?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)