|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following do Art and Arthur NOT do in the weather woman's apartment?
2. Who is Arthur talking to on the phone when he pretends to be Art?
3. Why does Art's father seem to be sad at dinner?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Cleveland at the beginning of Chapter 22?
5. For whom is Cleveland working?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps Art to free himself of the bonds related to his father?
2. How does Phlox meet Art's father?
3. How is Art both disgusted yet attracted to the experience of being with Cleveland when he makes collection calls?
4. Explain how Art's lack of real friendship in his life has driven him to behave the way he does with Cleveland, Phlox and Arthur.
5. What is Art feeling during the time he has an affair with Arthur in the weather woman's apartment?
6. What is the symbolism of the cicadas for Art's life?
7. Describe the scenario in which Cleveland robs the house?
8. What is a recurring motif in the story?
9. What does Cleveland ultimately want from his friendship with Art?
10. What is the irony revealed when Arthur's mother comes to the apartment with mended clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH is a classic story of the search for love. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Cleveland. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Cleveland?
Essay Topic 3
The role of parental influence is a strong one on most of the men. Cite three examples noting the role of the family in general. Then cite three examples that showcase how the men feel their parents impacted them negatively.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)