|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what hotel does Joe stay when he is in Pittsburgh?
2. What happens to Happy, the Bellwethers' collie in Chapter 7?
3. What are Art's feelings about Pittsburgh?
4. To what state will Jane and her family be traveling tomorrow?
5. Why is Art critical of Phlox's college major?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Cleveland's family?
2. Why does Art search for his picture of Godzilla's egg before leaving his apartment for the day?
3. How does the author use foreshadowing when talking about Art's interest in Arthur's homosexuality?
4. What does Phlox think her relationship with Art is and what does she do about it?
5. What happens when the Bellwethers return home early?
6. How does Art get to meet Cleveland?
7. What does Teddy's mother do when she discovers what the boys have done to Happy?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing for the character of Cleveland and his effect on Art's life?
9. What is Art's perspective on his education and his upcoming summer?
10. What does Cleveland do to get back at Jane's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Art, Arthur and Phlox. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Phlox. What are her physical characteristics? What motivates her? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Phlox?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Arthur. What are his physical characteristics? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Arthur?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)