|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is Phlox's favorite book?
2. Which of the following is a name Phlox has also been called?
3. What type of vehicle pulls up in front of the bookstore while Art is working?
4. Who does Arthur say he has slept with?
5. What topic do Art and Cleveland discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phlox think her relationship with Art is and what does she do about it?
2. How does Art meet Phlox?
3. How do the precipice and the cloud factory symbolize Art's fantasies for his new life?
4. Why are Cleveland's antics a source of possible problems for Art?
5. Why is Art so critical of Phlox's French major?
6. Why is Art's life filled with secrets?
7. Where is Art working for the summer?
8. What does Teddy's mother do when she discovers what the boys have done to Happy?
9. Why does Art agree to have a beer with Arthur?
10. What is the first intimate interlude between Art and Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Phlox. What are her physical characteristics? What motivates her? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Phlox?
Essay Topic 2
THE MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH is a classic story of the search for love. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Even though Phlox and Arthur both vie for Art's affections, Art is not sure which one to choose. What do Phlox and Arthur represent for Art and why does he think he needs both of them in order to be happy? Explain.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)