|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phlox think about Arthur's homosexuality?
2. Which of the following does NOT become intoxicated while telling stories about Cleveland?
3. What is Art's goal?
4. What does Art view from looking into Pittsburgh's ravine?
5. To whom does Art make a phone call while Phlox makes breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Art meet Arthur?
2. Where is Art working for the summer?
3. What two landmarks does Art mention as places he visits often?
4. Describe this period of "dilated time" in Art's life.
5. Why does Art agree to have a beer with Arthur?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing when talking about Art's interest in Arthur's homosexuality?
7. What are some of the phases that Phlox goes through in her life?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing for the character of Cleveland and his effect on Art's life?
9. How does the topic of homosexuality first come up in the story?
10. What happens when the Bellwethers return home early?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Art, Arthur and Phlox. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Phlox's role in Art's life. What does it signify? What role does she play for Art in the book? Why did the author choose Phlox as a sort of foil in the story?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)