|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Art stop before going to work?
2. Art's father says that Art is doomed to _______________.
3. How did Cleveland's mother die?
4. What religious affiliation does Art have?
5. With how many dogs is Happy mated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phlox think her relationship with Art is and what does she do about it?
2. Where is Art working for the summer?
3. Why does Art agree to have a beer with Arthur?
4. How does the author show Phlox's opinion of Arthur's sexuality?
5. What are some of the phases that Phlox goes through in her life?
6. What is the story of Cleveland's family?
7. What is the first intimate interlude between Art and Arthur?
8. Why is Phlox's fanciful personality so appealing to Art?
9. How does the author indicate that Art may have had an emotional breakdown at one point?
10. How do the precipice and the cloud factory symbolize Art's fantasies for his new life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Art. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Art?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the book and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Art, Arthur and Phlox. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)