|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the person of interest's goal for the animal?
2. Which of the following appears in Dupin's thought process for the comment he makes about an actor?
3. Which of the following does the Narrator claim is an admirable skill?
4. Who does Dupin believe the ribbon belonged to?
5. Which of the following did the policeman use to describe the second voice he heard inside the Rue Morgue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dupin give The Narrator a pistol?
2. Why did Dupin place an ad in the paper?
3. Could Dupin's analytical skills be a curse, or a bad thing? Why or why not?
4. What does Dupin do at the crime scene?
5. Why is Adolphe arrested for the murders?
6. Who could be considered the antagonist in the story? Why?
7. What does the epigraph at the beginning of the story mean?
8. Describe the relationship between the laundress and the two murdered women.
9. What are three activities or jobs Dupin might enjoy doing using his analytical abilities? Why?
10. Describe the relationship between Dupin and The Narrator.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between the story's narrator and Dupin. Why is their relationship important to the story and the crime that is solved?
Essay Topic 2
Determine the tone of the short story. Find three specific elements of the story that create this tone.
Essay Topic 3
How does the story's title relate to the plot, setting, and characters?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)