|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as using calculation, not analysis?
2. How is Madame L'Espanaye related to Camille?
3. What is Dupin's middle name?
4. At the time of the murder, where were both of the women?
5. Who speaks through a translator at the court case for the murders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who could be considered the antagonist in the story? Why?
2. What elements make "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" a Gothic story?
3. Describe how the killer killed the two women.
4. Should the sailor be held responsible for the murders? Why or why not?
5. Describe the relationship between the laundress and the two murdered women.
6. Describe the tobacco salesman's relationship with the two murdered women.
7. Describe the location where Madame L'Espanaye's body was found.
8. Describe the argument that ensues over the second language that the neighbors heard.
9. Describe the interview that the laundress gave.
10. Why does Dupin give The Narrator a pistol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine the tone of the short story. Find three specific elements of the story that create this tone.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between the story's narrator and Dupin. Why is their relationship important to the story and the crime that is solved?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of story is "The Murders in the Rue Morgue"? How would you describe it to somebody who had not read a mystery short story before?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)