|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dupin believe the police arrested the man they did?
2. Who did Adolphe see when he accompanied the murder victim home?
3. How did the policeman describe the first voice he heard in the Rue Morgue?
4. What was the person of interest's goal for the animal?
5. Who does Dupin believe has lost an animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dupin believe that the sailor is innocent in the crimes?
2. Describe the argument that ensues over the second language that the neighbors heard.
3. Describe the location where Madame L'Espanaye's body was found.
4. Do you think that Dupin considers another solution to the mystery? Why or why not?
5. Why is Adolphe arrested for the murders?
6. Who could be considered the antagonist in the story? Why?
7. Describe the interview that the laundress gave.
8. Describe how Dupin's analytical skills solved the crime.
9. Describe the reason why you think the title was chosen.
10. How might this short story have been considered controversial when it was written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the story's title relate to the plot, setting, and characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does Poe use interviews and testimonies in the story? How do they create a sense of mystery and suspense? What other purpose do they serve?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of story is "The Murders in the Rue Morgue"? How would you describe it to somebody who had not read a mystery short story before?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)