|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the man find the animal doing before it escaped?
2. Who answers the ad that Dupin puts up?
3. How did the policeman describe the second voice he heard inside the Rue Morgue?
4. Who goes with Dupin to the Rue Morgue?
5. How many days before her death did Adolphe walk home the murder victim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dupin feel disdain for the police investigation of the murders?
2. How do the neighbors react to the murders at the Rue Morgue?
3. What elements of the murder appear strange to the reader?
4. What elements make "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" a Gothic story?
5. Why does Dupin give The Narrator a pistol?
6. Why does Dupin want to visit the crime scene?
7. Why is robbery not a motive for the murders?
8. Why did a struggle erupt between the sailor and the orangutan?
9. Why is Adolphe arrested for the murders?
10. In what ways is The Narrator observant like Dupin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrator of the story. Is he reliable or unreliable? What is his view of the protagonist and the antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between the story's narrator and Dupin. Why is their relationship important to the story and the crime that is solved?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of story is "The Murders in the Rue Morgue"? How would you describe it to somebody who had not read a mystery short story before?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)