|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What woke up the neighbors of the Rue Morgue?
2. What does the Narrator claim doesn't make a good player?
3. How do neighbors enter the Rue Morgue?
4. What was the older murder victim's job?
5. Where did the person of interest obtain an animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is The Narrator's motivation in the story?
2. Describe the way the orangutan behaved after killing the women, according to the sailor.
3. How does The Narrator describe the story that he tells?
4. What does the reader know about The Narrator?
5. What elements of the murder appear strange to the reader?
6. Describe the argument that ensues over the second language that the neighbors heard.
7. How did others view the murder victims before they died?
8. Describe the reason why you think the title was chosen.
9. What was the result of the sailor coming clean about the orangutan?
10. What is determined by the testimonies at the murder trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrator of the story. Is he reliable or unreliable? What is his view of the protagonist and the antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Is a short story the best way to convey this story's message? Explain why or why not, comparing it to another form such as a novel.
Essay Topic 3
Determine the tone of the short story. Find three specific elements of the story that create this tone.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)