|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dupin believe has lost an animal?
2. How many days before her death did Madame L'Espanaye pull out money?
3. What is Dupin's middle name?
4. Why do Dupin and the narrator move in together?
5. Which word describes Dupin's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way the sailor interacts with Dupin.
2. Why does analysis please The Narrator?
3. In what ways is The Narrator observant like Dupin?
4. What is one example of Dupin's analytical skills put to use?
5. Describe how Dupin's analytical skills solved the crime.
6. Why did Dupin place an ad in the paper?
7. Describe the reason why you think the title was chosen.
8. Describe the interview that the laundress gave.
9. How did the sailor obtain an orangutan?
10. What are three activities or jobs Dupin might enjoy doing using his analytical abilities? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Poe use gruesome details to illicit a response from the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of a frame story are in this story? What purpose do these elements serve?
Essay Topic 3
How does Dupin solve the murders? What conclusions does he come to?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)