|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase did the third witness claim to have heard outside the crime scene?
2. Who does the narrator describe as having an analytical mind?
3. Which of the following is mentioned in the epigraph?
4. What is the style of Dupin and the narrator's home?
5. Which character can be compared to Sherlock Holmes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of the sailor coming clean about the orangutan?
2. What is the appeal of the case to Dupin?
3. Why did the police arrest Adolphe?
4. Describe how Dupin's analytical skills solved the crime.
5. How do the neighbors react to the murders at the Rue Morgue?
6. Describe the interview that the laundress gave.
7. Do you think that Dupin considers another solution to the mystery? Why or why not?
8. What is The Narrator's motivation in the story?
9. Describe the setting for the murders.
10. Describe the tobacco salesman's relationship with the two murdered women.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Poe use gruesome details to illicit a response from the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrator of the story. Is he reliable or unreliable? What is his view of the protagonist and the antagonist?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of Gothic literature are present in Poe's story?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)