|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could the police hear from outside the Rue Morgue?
2. On what topic do all testimonials disagree at the trial?
3. How does Dupin respond to a direct though in another person's head?
4. What game does the word draughts refer to?
5. How did the policeman describe the first voice he heard in the Rue Morgue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is determined by the testimonies at the murder trial?
2. What does the reader know about The Narrator?
3. What is the appeal of the case to Dupin?
4. What was the result of the sailor coming clean about the orangutan?
5. Describe the location where Madame L'Espanaye's body was found.
6. What does Dupin do at the crime scene?
7. Should the sailor be held responsible for the murders? Why or why not?
8. Describe how Dupin's analytical skills solved the crime.
9. How does The Narrator describe the story that he tells?
10. Compare Dupin to the police.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are the murders at the Rue Morgue strange? What special circumstances surround the murder, and what role do they play in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Dupin to any other character from the story. How are they alike and different? What do each of their actions show?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Dupin want to help solve the murder? Does he feel it is his responsibility or does he have another reason?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)