|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dupin's first initial?
2. What is Dupin's relationship to the first interviewed person?
3. Why does Dupin believe the police arrested the man they did?
4. What did the man find the animal doing before it escaped?
5. To Dupin, what quality of the murder defies any motive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way the orangutan behaved after killing the women, according to the sailor.
2. Describe the location of Madame L'Espanaye's daughter's body.
3. How did others view the murder victims before they died?
4. Do you think that Dupin considers another solution to the mystery? Why or why not?
5. Could Dupin's analytical skills be a curse, or a bad thing? Why or why not?
6. Describe the reason why you think the title was chosen.
7. Should the sailor be held responsible for the murders? Why or why not?
8. Describe the tobacco salesman's relationship with the two murdered women.
9. What is the appeal of the case to Dupin?
10. Why is robbery not a motive for the murders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the police investigation that occurs as a result of the murders. Why does Dupin disapprove of it?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of Gothic literature are present in Poe's story?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of story is "The Murders in the Rue Morgue"? How would you describe it to somebody who had not read a mystery short story before?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)