|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dupin claim to know?
2. What evidence exists against Adolphe?
3. What is an epigraph?
4. What is Dupin's middle name?
5. How is Dupin different from his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the killer exit the room in which the murders took place?
2. Describe how Dupin's analytical skills solved the crime.
3. Compare Dupin to the police.
4. Describe how The Narrator is Dupin's sidekick.
5. Describe the dead body that is found in the chimney.
6. Describe the location where Madame L'Espanaye's body was found.
7. Describe the setting for the murders.
8. What is The Narrator's motivation in the story?
9. Who is the protagonist of the story? Why?
10. What elements make "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" a Gothic story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Poe use gruesome details to illicit a response from the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What evidence of realism is present in the story? What makes it unrealistic?
Essay Topic 3
How does Poe use interviews and testimonies in the story? How do they create a sense of mystery and suspense? What other purpose do they serve?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)