|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the murder victims cut with?
2. Which of the following words describes The Narrator?
3. What was the Rue Morgue once used for?
4. What is Dupin's relationship to the first interviewed person?
5. What does Dupin hope the ad will do directly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the location where Madame L'Espanaye's body was found.
2. Why does Dupin believe that the sailor is innocent in the crimes?
3. How did the sailor obtain an orangutan?
4. Should the sailor be held responsible for the murders? Why or why not?
5. How does The Narrator describe the story that he tells?
6. Compare Dupin to the police.
7. Describe the tobacco salesman's relationship with the two murdered women.
8. Why might the story not be considered a work of horror?
9. What is one example of Dupin's analytical skills put to use?
10. Why did Dupin place an ad in the paper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the story's title relate to the plot, setting, and characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is Poe's purpose in beginning the story with an epigraph?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between the story's narrator and Dupin. Why is their relationship important to the story and the crime that is solved?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)