|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does the Narrator claim is an admirable skill?
2. What did the animal do to the older victim?
(a) Smashed her head on a mirror.
(b) Threw her into the kitchen.
(c) Put her in a bathtub.
(d) Threw her out the window.
3. How did the animal respond to the man when he was caught?
(a) He was subdued.
(b) He ran off.
(c) He became more peaceful.
(d) He threatened violence.
4. Where does the narrator meet Dupin for the first time?
(b) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
5. How does Dupin get to the crime scene?
(a) He sneaks in through a window.
(b) He breaks down the door.
(c) He breaks open the gate.
(d) He is given permission.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does the third witness claim to have heard from the second voice at the crime scene?
2. What does Dupin tell The Narrator about the case?
3. What does Dupin say has the best chance of owning the animal he is looking for?
4. What fact is determined about the chimney?
5. What did Adolphe carry for the murder victim when he walked her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is determined by the testimonies at the murder trial?
2. Why does Dupin believe that the owner of the orangutan is a sailor?
3. What is the appeal of the case to Dupin?
4. Describe the location of Madame L'Espanaye's daughter's body.
5. What does the epigraph at the beginning of the story mean?
6. Describe the dead body that is found in the chimney.
7. What aspects of the case does Dupin feel are the most important?
8. Why does Dupin believe that the sailor is innocent in the crimes?
9. What elements of the murder appear strange to the reader?
10. How did the killer exit the room in which the murders took place?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)