|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many voices did the policeman claim to hear inside the Rue Morgue?
2. Who is able to back up the policeman's story?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) A tenant in the building.
(c) A salesman.
(d) A shop owner.
3. How does Dupin know the man who was arrested for the murders?
(a) The man was a waiter at a restaurant Dupin frequented.
(b) The man helped Dupin with something.
(c) The man wrote a letter to Dupin.
(d) The man sold Dupin a detective story.
4. Which of the following languages is not claimed to be belonging to the second voice?
5. How was the person found in the chimney killed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which body part of the older murder victim was falling off?
2. How did the animal respond to the man when he was caught?
3. What game does the word draughts refer to?
4. Where was all the furniture located at the Rue Morgue?
5. What is the style of Dupin and the narrator's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dupin feel disdain for the police investigation of the murders?
2. What elements make "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" a detective story?
3. Why is Adolphe arrested for the murders?
4. Who could be considered the antagonist in the story? Why?
5. What does Dupin feel the motive for the murders is?
6. How did the killer exit the room in which the murders took place?
7. What elements make "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" a Gothic story?
8. Describe the way the orangutan behaved after killing the women, according to the sailor.
9. Who is the protagonist of the story? Why?
10. Describe the location where Madame L'Espanaye's body was found.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)