|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dupin believe has lost an animal?
(a) A salesman.
(b) A sailor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) The Narrator.
2. What is the epigraph's message to the reader?
(a) Analysis is very important.
(b) Anybody or anything can be a killer.
(c) All mysteries are solvable.
(d) There are many temptations in life.
3. How did the policeman describe the second voice he heard inside the Rue Morgue?
4. What kind of motive for murder does Dupin believe the man who was arrested has, despite the fact that he is the main suspect?
5. How did the animal act when the man walked in on him at the Rue Morgue?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the ribbon once used for?
2. What is the Rue Morgue?
3. Where does the narrator meet Dupin for the first time?
4. What is evidence of no forced entry into the Rue Morgue?
5. What is the point of view of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dupin give The Narrator a pistol?
2. Do you think that Dupin considers another solution to the mystery? Why or why not?
3. What aspects of the case does Dupin feel are the most important?
4. What elements make "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" a detective story?
5. Describe the interview that the laundress gave.
6. What elements make "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" a Gothic story?
7. What does the epigraph at the beginning of the story mean?
8. What elements of the murder appear strange to the reader?
9. Describe the way the orangutan behaved after killing the women, according to the sailor.
10. Why did the police arrest Adolphe?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)