|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the tone of the voices that the neighbors heard?
2. How many people have been killed in the story?
3. Who is able to back up the policeman's story?
(a) A tenant in the building.
(b) A shop owner.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) A salesman.
4. How many voices did the policeman claim to hear inside the Rue Morgue?
5. Who does Dupin believe has lost an animal?
(a) The Narrator.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A sailor.
(d) A salesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his ad, what does Dupin claim to possess?
2. What was the older murder victim's job?
3. What does Dupin believe he may have to do to the man who is coming to visit them?
4. Who found a ribbon at the crime scene?
5. Where was the older murder victim cut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements of the murder appear strange to the reader?
2. Describe the location where Madame L'Espanaye's body was found.
3. Why is Adolphe arrested for the murders?
4. Why does Dupin want to visit the crime scene?
5. Why did Dupin place an ad in the paper?
6. Why does Dupin give The Narrator a pistol?
7. What aspects of the case does Dupin feel are the most important?
8. Do you think that Dupin considers another solution to the mystery? Why or why not?
9. Why does Dupin feel disdain for the police investigation of the murders?
10. What elements make "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" a Gothic story?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)