|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe the yard outside the Rue Morgue.
(a) Large with a swimming pool.
(b) Small and paved.
(c) Large with lots of grassy hills.
(d) Small and grassy.
2. How does The Narrator generally feel toward Dupin?
3. What type of home do Dupin and the narrator live in?
(a) A single family home.
4. What is the name of the author of the epigraph?
(a) Sir Bennet Austin.
(b) Sir Samuel Smithe.
(c) Sir Arthur Hoyle.
(d) Sir Thomas Browne.
5. Who was the first to testify at the trial?
(b) Fortune teller.
(c) News reporter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dupin believe the police arrested the man they did?
2. What was the tone of the voices that the neighbors heard?
3. What appears to be impossible for the murderer to have done in the room at the Rue Morgue?
4. What was the animal doing when the man followed him and found him elsewhere?
5. How did the second person interviewed know one of the murder victims?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the police arrest Adolphe?
2. Describe the setting for the murders.
3. Why did Edgar Allan Poe include an epigraph before the story begins?
4. What is The Narrator's motivation in the story?
5. What does Dupin do at the crime scene?
6. What does the epigraph at the beginning of the story mean?
7. What did the sailor plan to do with the orangutan?
8. Why is Adolphe arrested for the murders?
9. Why did a struggle erupt between the sailor and the orangutan?
10. How might this short story have been considered controversial when it was written?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)