|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At a single glance, what can be assumed about the windows?
(a) They are broken from the inside.
(b) They are borken from the outside.
(c) They are nailed shut outside.
(d) They are nailed shut inside.
2. What were the neighbors outside trying to do to the Rue Morgue?
(a) Kill the murderer.
(b) Attack the women inside.
(c) Get inside.
(d) Lock up after they left.
3. Who is first interviewed about the murders?
(a) The narrator.
(b) A tobacco salesman.
(c) A laundress.
4. What was the animal doing when the man followed him and found him elsewhere?
(a) Strangling a woman.
(b) Shoving a body up the chimney.
(c) Shaving Madame L'Espanaye.
(d) Stealing tobacco.
5. Who pays the rent in the home that Dupin and the narrator live in?
(a) The government.
(b) The narrator.
(d) Dupin's family.
6. Which of the following is the first sign of struggle at the crime scene?
(a) Drawers pulled out.
(b) A dresser moved in front of a door.
(c) Jewelry stolen from the open box.
(d) A ladder knocked over.
7. What is Adolphe's last name?
(b) Mon Dieu.
(d) Le Bon.
8. How does Dupin describe the person who strangled the younger murder victim?
(a) A man with no regard for life.
(b) A man with a lot of muscles.
(c) A man with a lot of rage.
(d) Not a human.
9. Who found a ribbon at the crime scene?
(a) A sailor.
(b) The policeman.
(d) The Narrator.
10. What happened when the man walked in on the animal?
(a) A struggle ensued.
(b) The animal did not notice.
(c) The animal stabbed him.
(d) The animal ran off immediately.
11. What genre does the story best fit into?
(a) Gothic horror story.
(c) Ghost story.
(d) Detective story.
12. Where does Dupin place an ad?
(a) On television.
(b) On a bulletin board at the store.
(c) In the newspaper.
(d) On the radio.
13. Who is able to back up the policeman's story?
(a) A shop owner.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A salesman.
(d) A tenant in the building.
14. What is directly outside the window at the Rue Morgue?
(a) A clothing line.
(b) A tree.
(c) A pool of water down below.
(d) A lightning rod.
15. Who was the first to testify at the trial?
(c) Fortune teller.
(d) News reporter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does The Narrator generally feel toward Dupin?
2. Who goes with Dupin to the Rue Morgue?
3. Where is the first evidence for the murder found?
4. Why are the murder victims the only ones living in the Rue Morgue?
5. Describe the body found in the chimney.
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)