|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his ad, what does Dupin claim to possess?
(a) A box of books.
(b) An empty house.
(c) An apartment to rent out.
(d) An oranguatan.
2. What was the older murder victim's job?
(c) Fortune teller.
3. Which of the following does the Narrator claim is an admirable skill?
4. What does Dupin believe he may have to do to the man who is coming to visit them?
(a) Torture him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Turn him in to the police.
(d) Detain him.
5. Which character serves as a template for deductive minds?
(a) The sailor.
(b) The Narrator.
(d) The policeman.
6. Which of the following is mentioned in the epigraph?
7. Where did Dupin find hair when he conducted his own investigation?
(a) Near the chimney.
(b) Near the jewelry box.
(c) Near Madame L'Espanaye.
(d) In the bathroom.
8. What does Dupin hope the ad will do directly?
(a) Encourage further police investigation.
(b) Bring the animal to him.
(c) Bring the sailor to him.
(d) Release the person arrested for the crime.
9. On what topic do all testimonials disagree at the trial?
(a) The scene of the crime.
(b) The second voice heard in the room.
(c) The identity of one of the victims.
(d) The murder weapon.
10. What is the setting of the events that unfold in the story?
(b) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
11. What does the person of interest tell Dupin?
(a) What weapon was used.
(b) The story of the murder.
(c) The motive for the killer.
(d) Why he killed the women.
12. Who is described as using calculation, not analysis?
(a) Chess players.
(c) Draughts players.
(d) The Narrator.
13. What fact is determined about the chimney?
(a) The chimeny had previously been blocked in.
(b) The body in the chimney had been there longer than the other.
(c) It is too small to be an entrance and exit.
(d) The victim was still alive when she was put in the chimney.
14. What is directly outside the window at the Rue Morgue?
(a) A tree.
(b) A pool of water down below.
(c) A clothing line.
(d) A lightning rod.
15. What phrase did the third witness claim to have heard outside the crime scene?
(a) Deja vu.
(b) Como estas.
(c) Mon Dieu.
(d) Oh my God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words describes The Narrator?
2. How did the policeman describe the second voice he heard inside the Rue Morgue?
3. What is the Rue Morgue?
4. How many neighbors did the police find outside the Rue Morgue?
5. What has been taken from the Rue Morgue after the murders?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)