|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the only possible manners of escape from the Rue Morgue for the murderer?
(d) A trapdoor on the floor.
2. Who does Dupin believe the killer is?
(a) A tiger.
(b) An unknown animal.
(c) An orangutan.
(d) A sailor.
3. What does Dupin hope the ad will do directly?
(a) Release the person arrested for the crime.
(b) Encourage further police investigation.
(c) Bring the animal to him.
(d) Bring the sailor to him.
4. What are the contents of the second newspaper with information about the murders?
(b) Pictures of suspects.
(c) Pictures of the crime scene.
(d) A brief statement of the arrest of a suspect.
5. Which of the following appears in Dupin's thought process for the comment he makes about an actor?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(b) A book he read a month ago.
(c) The cloudy sky.
6. Why did the animal need help from the person of interest?
(a) It was starving.
(b) It was wounded.
(c) It was being chased.
(d) It had babies.
7. When the person of interest enters Dupin's home, what does Dupin do?
(a) He shoots the man.
(b) He asks for the man's wallet.
(c) He handcuffs the man.
(d) He locks the door.
8. What happened to the man who helped the person of interest obtain the animal?
(a) He wanted to kill the animal.
(b) They got into a fight.
(c) He died.
(d) He couldn't take the animal home with him.
9. What is the style of Dupin and the narrator's home?
10. What location does Dupin claim to want to visit?
(a) The Rue Morgue.
(b) A politician's office.
(c) A ship that recently came to shore.
(d) The police headquarters.
11. On what floor were voices heard in the Rue Morgue?
12. What is Adolphe's last name?
(c) Mon Dieu.
(d) Le Bon.
13. At the time of the murder, where were both of the women?
(a) In the same room.
(b) One was outside and one was inside.
(c) Both were outside.
(d) In different rooms.
14. Describe the body found in the chimney.
(a) An animal.
(b) A young woman.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A child.
15. Why do Dupin and the narrator move in together?
(a) It will save them money.
(b) They hope to exchange knowledge.
(c) They hope it will encourage them to find wives.
(d) They enjoy each other's company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who found a ribbon at the crime scene?
2. Which character can be compared to Sherlock Holmes?
3. What appears to be impossible for the murderer to have done in the room at the Rue Morgue?
4. Who does the narrator describe as madmen?
5. What could the police hear from outside the Rue Morgue?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)