|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Dupin find hair when he conducted his own investigation?
(a) Near the chimney.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) Near the jewelry box.
(d) Near Madame L'Espanaye.
2. What does the Narrator claim doesn't make a good player?
(c) Common sense.
3. Who answers the ad that Dupin puts up?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A child.
(c) A sailor.
(d) A woman.
4. What is Adolphe's job?
5. Describe the room in which the neighbors found on the 4th floor.
6. What was Dupin able to obtain from the police?
(c) Jewelry that once belonged to the victims.
7. What does Dupin tell The Narrator about the case?
(a) He compares it to a piece of literature.
(b) He knows who the real killer is.
(c) Somebody needs to analyze the crime scene.
(d) It is not unsolvable.
8. Which word describes Dupin's family?
9. What is the purpose of the epigraph in the beginning of the story?
(a) To illustrate the scene.
(b) To give the solution to the mystery.
(c) To introduce the characters.
(d) To foreshadow future events.
10. How many days before her death did Madame L'Espanaye pull out money?
11. Describe the yard outside the Rue Morgue.
(a) Large with a swimming pool.
(b) Small and paved.
(c) Small and grassy.
(d) Large with lots of grassy hills.
12. How many pieces are a part of the first evidence found in the Rue Morgue?
13. What was the older murder victim's job?
(b) Fortune teller.
14. What woke up the neighbors of the Rue Morgue?
(b) Breaking windows.
(c) A fight.
15. What are the contents of the second newspaper with information about the murders?
(b) A brief statement of the arrest of a suspect.
(c) Pictures of suspects.
(d) Pictures of the crime scene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who found a ribbon at the crime scene?
2. Why are the murder victims the only ones living in the Rue Morgue?
3. Describe the relationship between the murder victims and the first person interviewed about them.
4. How does Dupin respond to a direct though in another person's head?
5. How did the animal respond to the man when he was caught?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)