|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dupin know the man who was arrested for the murders?
(a) The man sold Dupin a detective story.
(b) The man wrote a letter to Dupin.
(c) The man was a waiter at a restaurant Dupin frequented.
(d) The man helped Dupin with something.
2. How does The Narrator generally feel toward Dupin?
3. Which character serves as a template for deductive minds?
(a) The Narrator.
(b) The sailor.
(d) The policeman.
4. Which character can be compared to Sherlock Holmes?
(a) The sailor.
(c) The Narrator.
(d) The policeman.
5. Describe the first piece of evidence found at the crime scene.
6. Who does Dupin claim to know?
(a) A group of sailors.
(b) The head politician in his area.
(c) The head of police.
(d) The mayor.
7. Who pays the rent in the home that Dupin and the narrator live in?
(b) Dupin's family.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The government.
8. What has been taken from the Rue Morgue after the murders?
9. How many people have been killed in the story?
10. Describe the room in which the neighbors found on the 4th floor.
11. What is Dupin's only luxury?
(b) Board games.
(d) Going to the opera.
12. How does Dupin get to the crime scene?
(a) He breaks open the gate.
(b) He is given permission.
(c) He breaks down the door.
(d) He sneaks in through a window.
13. How did the second person interviewed know one of the murder victims?
(a) He painted her portrait.
(b) He moved her furniture into the house.
(c) He carried her items home for her.
(d) He once sold to her.
14. Why did the animal need help from the person of interest?
(a) It had babies.
(b) It was wounded.
(c) It was starving.
(d) It was being chased.
15. What is the setting of the events that unfold in the story?
(a) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is evidence of no forced entry into the Rue Morgue?
2. Who does Dupin believe the ribbon belonged to?
3. Which of the following did the policeman use to describe the second voice he heard inside the Rue Morgue?
4. Who does Dupin explain his hypothesis to first?
5. What does the Narrator claim is the most analytical game?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)