|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the animal act when the man walked in on him at the Rue Morgue?
2. What does the salesman in the story sell?
3. How does Dupin describe the person who strangled the younger murder victim?
(a) A man with a lot of muscles.
(b) A man with no regard for life.
(c) A man with a lot of rage.
(d) Not a human.
4. How was the person found in the chimney killed?
5. Which of the following statements is true about the older victim?
(a) She was eating dinner when she died.
(b) She was dressed as a man.
(c) She was killed by a family member.
(d) She was beaten with a heavy object.
6. What is the purpose of the epigraph in the beginning of the story?
(a) To introduce the characters.
(b) To give the solution to the mystery.
(c) To foreshadow future events.
(d) To illustrate the scene.
7. What was the Rue Morgue once used for?
(a) It was a factory.
(b) It is on the grounds where a zoo once was.
(c) It was an art gallery.
(d) Floors were rented to tenants.
8. How did the animal respond to the man when he was caught?
(a) He was subdued.
(b) He became more peaceful.
(c) He threatened violence.
(d) He ran off.
9. What happened to the man who helped the person of interest obtain the animal?
(a) He died.
(b) He couldn't take the animal home with him.
(c) They got into a fight.
(d) He wanted to kill the animal.
10. Which character serves as a template for deductive minds?
(a) The sailor.
(b) The Narrator.
(d) The policeman.
11. Which of the following does the Narrator claim is an admirable skill?
12. How does Dupin feel about the police investigation of the murders?
13. When the neighbors looked on the 4th floor, who did they see immediately?
(b) A sailor.
(c) The narrator.
14. What is Dupin's only luxury?
(a) Going to the opera.
(d) Board games.
15. What are the police not focusing on, according to Dupin?
(a) Other possible victims.
(b) The place that the killer worked.
(c) Possible suspects.
(d) Important aspects of the crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dupin respond to a direct though in another person's head?
2. What are the only possible manners of escape from the Rue Morgue for the murderer?
3. Which of the following is mentioned in the epigraph?
4. Who explained the younger victim's death at the trial?
5. What did each witness identify?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)