Short Essay Questions
1. What does the epigraph at the beginning of the story mean?
2. Why did Edgar Allan Poe include an epigraph before the story begins?
3. How does The Narrator describe the story that he tells?
4. What does the reader know about The Narrator?
5. Describe the relationship between Dupin and The Narrator.
6. Why does analysis please The Narrator?
7. What is one example of Dupin's analytical skills put to use?
8. What elements of the murder appear strange to the reader?
9. How do the neighbors react to the murders at the Rue Morgue?
10. Describe the dead body that is found in the chimney.
11. Describe the dead body that was found outside.
12. Describe the interview that the laundress gave.
13. How did others view the murder victims before they died?
14. What is the appeal of the case to Dupin?
15. Describe the argument that ensues over the second language that the neighbors heard.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)