|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Merry's father when she visits him in Chapter 12?
2. Where does Mrs. Cohen take Lulu and Merry?
3. What does Lulu begin to wonder after spending time with the person in #50?
4. Why does Aunt Cilla refuse to keep Lulu and Merry?
5. Dr. Cohen tells Joey that Lulu has a flair for _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lulu's hopes for being adopted by the parents of a high school girl who volunteers to spend time with Lulu?
2. On Thanksgiving Day, how does Merry finally get her point across that she wants to see her father?
3. `What tragedy occurs as a result of Joey and Celeste's fight?
4. What responsibility does Lulu feel toward Merry at the orphanage?
5. What conflicting emotions does Merry have when Dr. Cohen takes her to the prison to see her father?
6. Who tries to help Merry work through the emotions she has related to her father and his failed attempt to kill her on the day he killed her mother?
7. How does Merry feel about being at the Cohens' house after she and Lulu have been there for a year?
8. In what ways do Lulu and Merry learn lessons of abandonment early in their lives?
9. How does Joey plead in the murder of his wife and what is his sentence?
10. What is Lulu's secret wish as she encounters her father at the cemetery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Drew. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Drew's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
THE MURDERER'S DAUGHTERS is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Lulu learns from Grandma Zelda? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Lulu always recall about Grandma Zelda and the promise she made to her?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)