|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dr. Cohen's first name?
2. How many times a week is Lulu allowed to visit Merry in the hospital?
3. How does Lulu's father get into the house?
4. What does Lulu's mother call out to Lulu to do as she fights with her husband?
5. What is the cause of Lulu's mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. On Thanksgiving Day, how does Merry finally get her point across that she wants to see her father?
2. Why is being foster children difficult for Lulu and Merry?
3. What happens to Lulu's hopes for being adopted by the parents of a high school girl who volunteers to spend time with Lulu?
4. How does Lulu coyly work her way into Mrs. Cohen's sympathy?
5. What pressures does Merry feel while living with the Cohens?
6. In Chapter 1, how does Joey get into the house and what do Lulu and Merry do as their parents fight?
7. In whose care is Lulu placed after her mother's death and how does she finally manage to visit Merry in the hospital?
8. Who tries to help Merry work through the emotions she has related to her father and his failed attempt to kill her on the day he killed her mother?
9. How do family members treat Lulu and Merry because of their father?
10. How does Joey plead in the murder of his wife and what is his sentence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Drew. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Drew's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Lulu learns from Grandma Zelda? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Lulu always recall about Grandma Zelda and the promise she made to her?
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)