|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lulu's grandmother react when Lulu asks to see Merry in the hospital?
2. What does Lulu note about her mother's headstone?
3. How old is Merry Zachariah at the beginning of the story?
4. What transportation method do Merry and her grandmother use to get to their destination in #35?
5. To what does the author compare Merry's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Joey give to Merry for why he stabbed her that day?
2. Why is being foster children difficult for Lulu and Merry?
3. Who is Grandma Zelda?
4. Who tries to help Merry work through the emotions she has related to her father and his failed attempt to kill her on the day he killed her mother?
5. Why does Merry feel obligated to visit her father in prison?
6. How does Joey plead in the murder of his wife and what is his sentence?
7. Who takes Merry to see her father in prison?
8. How does Merry feel about being at the Cohens' house after she and Lulu have been there for a year?
9. What happens to Lulu's hopes for being adopted by the parents of a high school girl who volunteers to spend time with Lulu?
10. Into whose home do Lulu and Merry move in as foster children and what directions does Lulu give Merry about how to behave and what to say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply THE MURDERER'S DAUGHTERS. What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the family's grief? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)