|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could account for Lulu and Merry's mother's immature behavior?
2. Who surprisingly attends Grandma Zelda's burial service?
3. Where is Merry's father incarcerated?
4. What has Lulu been told regarding her father?
5. What does the bully do to Merry one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. `What tragedy occurs as a result of Joey and Celeste's fight?
2. What promise does Grandma Zelda force Lulu to make?
3. What are some of the things that happen to Merry at the hands of bullies at the orphanage?
4. Who tries to help Merry work through the emotions she has related to her father and his failed attempt to kill her on the day he killed her mother?
5. Who is Aunt Cilla and why does she refuse to take Lulu and Merry into her home?
6. Into whose home do Lulu and Merry move in as foster children and what directions does Lulu give Merry about how to behave and what to say?
7. Who is Grandma Zelda?
8. In what ways do Lulu and Merry learn lessons of abandonment early in their lives?
9. What surprises Lulu about her own feelings toward her father at the cemetery?
10. What happens to Lulu's hopes for being adopted by the parents of a high school girl who volunteers to spend time with Lulu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Merry. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the family's grief? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)