|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Cohen tell Lulu that Lulu has?
2. Lulu tells Mrs. Cohen that she is scared because _______________________.
3. A year later, what event do Lulu and Merry attend?
4. What does Dr. Cohen suggest to Merry that might be a good Chanukah gift to give to her father?
5. How old is Lulu Zachariah at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is being foster children difficult for Lulu and Merry?
2. What obligation does Merry feel toward her father?
3. What role has Lulu assumed early in her life?
4. Who is Aunt Cilla and why does she refuse to take Lulu and Merry into her home?
5. In what ways do Lulu and Merry learn lessons of abandonment early in their lives?
6. What is Lulu's secret wish as she encounters her father at the cemetery?
7. Into whose home do Lulu and Merry move in as foster children and what directions does Lulu give Merry about how to behave and what to say?
8. `What tragedy occurs as a result of Joey and Celeste's fight?
9. What surprises Lulu about her own feelings toward her father at the cemetery?
10. What promise does Grandma Zelda force Lulu to make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of truth. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Lulu is no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you learn about Lulu life through this book, what are her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How does she manage through them? How do her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Joey. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)